Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Sure they prefer FB and Twitter - it's so much easier to excuse not being able to give truthful, fleshed out answers when you're restricted to 140 characters. (I am feeling so snarky right now. Sigh.)

Exactly.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    There probably are simply more people (Simmers) active on Fb and Twitter than here.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    @BettyBoop55, have you looked at General Discussion lately? If you notice, there's hardly any negative threads regarding the game or toddlers, aside from one or two. What this means to me is that the fans are already giving up and have lost hope. I remember putting a response in a thread that said EA should be glad for all the flames, because, at least, it shows that we care. And the worse thing that can happen is when the fans who dislike The Sims 4 go silent, because that means that they've already started saying "Forget you, EA/Maxis". Most have gone back to playing their old games, because, imperfect as those games are, they're better than this current iteration (at least, in their opinion).

Now I know there are pro-TS4 players who are happy to see this happening because that means that they won and all the nay-sayers are (largely) gone, but what they don't realize is this: Anytime you are in a forum where there is complete agreement, that forum starts dying a slow death. People like controversy, they like conflict because it gives them a reason to log onto the forums and read. I know I'm more likely to stay and participate if there's something going on, but if all I see is threads about the game and it's not a situation that interests me, I won't bother even reading the thread. There are some threads here that I have never participated in because they don't interest me.

To the OP, I appreciate what you're saying, I'm sorry, I disagree. Whining and complaining has had little result so far; I doubt very much it will help. EA/Maxis knows what we want. They also know that Christmas is coming up and if toddlers aren't patched in somehow (and yes, they'll probably be limited, but given this game engine, at least it'll be better than nothing), they can kiss their Christmas sales goodbye. The crowd that is already supporting this game isn't going to be enough to maintain it; it doesn't take a genius to figure it out, especially since word of mouth is a powerful tool, and there's enough experienced TS4 players who have walked away to tell their friends/relatives not to waste their money...or at least wait til they can buy the game at a drastically reduced price.

Either way, EA is losing money. The strongest message we can send EA is to stop giving EA feedback in the General Discussion part of this forum and stop supporting The Sims 4 altogether. There are plenty of topics in other parts of this forum that we can agree on; we just have to accept the fact that EA doesn't care about family/legacy players. (And even then, I'm losing interest here).

I know not everyone is going to agree with me on this, but I think that since EA has seen fit to slap a large segment of its fan base, it's only right that we return the favor. Because, otherwise, we remain at the mercy of EA's Corporate HQ.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Agree 1000%. We did what EA said they wanted - we yelled, we begged, we explained ad nauseum why we want toddlers/generational gameplay back - and what did we get in return? I also agree that once those of us that are unhappy leave the thread it will indeed die a slow death, because even with all of the mudslinging we were at least communicating. I have a feeling that once the dissenters stop posting EA will be thrilled - at first - then a little concerned about lack of sales - then a little more concerned - the snowball effect. Honestly, the most puzzling part of this for me has been the fact that even though this is the "official" forum the Gurus weren't here every day talking to us. But they haven't been on the "official" EA forum every day - no, they were on FB and Twitter because that's apparently where they heard what they wanted to hear.

I totally hear you @Jarsie and @GrayLady2010, I guess I don't want to give up because I don't want to completely give up hope on the sims, even if EA wishes that to be so.
    Yes we are doing what they've told us to-and like you say it's getting us nowhere. There's no respect for our section of the community-we get criticised for wanting these things and EA let's it happen because it suits them. It's suits them because while they choose to ignore us they want to gloss over us and our existence so we don't put off other fans who don't know or haven't appreciated how far our play style has been obliterated.

But I guess I want to be vocal because I want fans to be informed about this-I don't want other people feeling the way I do about sims4 and the lack of consideration for us as fans.

I agree with you @GrayLady2010, I think it's easy to ignore us at the moment while we are inconvenient for them, but I also agree it would snowball. Even within non family players some people say the game feels unfinished without family trees and toddlers so we aren't the only section of fans missing them. It's a symptom of what's wrong with this game but to cure it before it's too late requires a desire to do better-not to only listen to your cheerleaders! They should be thrilled people care so much to give them such clear and concise feedback! Making us wait too long will only drive away a lot of fans and once they are gone then it may be forever. Fans who heavily invested in the title rather than new customers who are an unknown. You know they could guarantee money from us in the past-and that speaks volumes when you have fans like that who give up.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    There probably are simply more people (Simmers) active on Fb and Twitter than here.

But they can get more information from here.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    That's why I've never said I'll stop posting. I'm stubborn and I love the series and I'll keep voicing my opinion. I'm way too mouthy to just slink away! :)
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

But they can get more information from here.

Yes they can get really clear and concise information on what people are looking for from 4. Facebook has it's place but it can't replace your official forum, otherwise what is the point of an official forum?!
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    The Sims were taken off my FB & Twitter feeds back in August so I'm not being reached. Now I have opted out of receiving e-mails too, don't want to see anymore "Wat? Why u no buy mah game" plum surveys anymore. I am through with empty hopes for the Sims games. Tired of being played by the company, EE-Aye.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
    That's why I've never said I'll stop posting. I'm stubborn and I love the series and I'll keep voicing my opinion. I'm way too mouthy to just slink away! :)

Haha me too. Like that saying 'they don't know they've got a tiger by the tail'
    I'm sorry but I will always stand up for myself and for others who are too shy to come on these boards that I know. EA said it themselves that when people go quiet they lose the battle. Well EA it's time to realise that you are really on the precipice with this. None of us have power but we are desperately trying to get you to understand this!
    blewis823 wrote: »
    The Sims were taken off my FB & Twitter feeds back in August so I'm not being reached. Now I have opted out of receiving e-mails too, don't want to see anymore "Wat? Why u no buy mah game" plum surveys anymore. I am through with empty hopes for the Sims games. Tired of being played by the company, EE-Aye.

I phoned EA and asked them to sign me up for surveys so I could get my feedback across. He told me yes then just sent me a link to the feedback thread instead. I wasn't impressed. It's no good just sending surveys to those who are actively playing right now. They must know that droves of fans have taken breaks from sims4 given the tracking of play on origin. Why don't they send surveys to people who have it on origin who haven't played much too? Surely that would give you really illuminating feedback?
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I was sent the same surveys by e-mail too. So it's not only if you open Origin, although I was playing Peggle when I got the survey through Origin. I don't want to see them anymore, so I opted out the e-mails too.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I was sent the same surveys by e-mail too. So it's not only if you open Origin, although I was playing Peggle when I got the survey through Origin. I don't want to see them anymore, so I opted out the e-mails too.

It's just a lot of people recently said they only got a survey when coming out of the sims4 game, that's why I said that. Origin opens all the time when I'm online, I'm just not playing at the moment.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member

They're not necessarily all Simmer. And just because they tend to be more vocal, that doesn't necessarily mean they're buying the game, let alone playing it.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    @sparkfairy1, I do appreciate your "Never Give Up! Never Surrender!" attitude.

It's just that I'm no longer in the mood to argue with EA in hopes of changing their collective mind. I suspect that I'm not the only one. But, yes, I'd say EA already knows that they lost, judging by how much quieter this section of the forum has gotten.

Then again, it could just be because I'm sleepy and need a nap. :mrgreen:
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!

It's just that I'm no longer in the mood to argue with EA in hopes of changing their collective mind. I suspect that I'm not the only one. But, yes, I'd say EA already knows that they lost, judging by how much quieter this section of the forum has gotten.

Thank you :-) like I say I totally understand it and to be honest they no longer deserve our concern given the way they have been treating players who feel this way. I'll get to your opinion soon enough and then EA can have a big party that we've disappeared. Until budgets shrink along with the shrinking player base. Then it might start to bite.
    edited November 2014

Thank you :-) like I say I totally understand it and to be honest they no longer deserve our concern given the way they have been treating players who feel this way. I'll get to your opinion soon enough and then EA can have a big party that we've disappeared. Until budgets shrink along with the shrinking player base. Then it might start to bite.

Yep. When there isn't anything for me to talk about then I won't. I'm sure EA will be so happy when the so -called rabble-rousers are gone. Then they'll get to deal with the sunshine and rainbows gang that are oh so happy with the game...except that a lot of them aren't, not anymore.
    Post edited by Wildley Curious on
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”

Yep. When there isn't anything for me to talk about then I won't. I'm sure EA will be so happy when the so -called rabble-rousers are gone. Then they'll get to deal with the sunshine and rainbows gang that are oh so happy with the game...except that a lot of them aren't, not anymore. S.u.c.k.s to be you EA.

It makes me laugh. I couldn't be nicer about this-yes I'm angry and frustrated but I've never been rude to a sim guru and I always say I'm HAPPY other people love 4-I just want that for myself and other players who are disappointed. I couldn't have been more loyal to the sims. But there are people who just want to abuse players like us just because we are disappointed, and that's really sad. I support my fellow simmers-I know there's stuff I hate in game that others love but I'd never campaign to rid the game of what they love just because of my personal tastes.
    edited November 2014

Yep. When there isn't anything for me to talk about then I won't. I'm sure EA will be so happy when the so -called rabble-rousers are gone. Then they'll get to deal with the sunshine and rainbows gang that are oh so happy with the game...except that a lot of them aren't, not anymore. S.u.c.k.s to be you EA.

It makes me laugh. I couldn't be nicer about this-yes I'm angry and frustrated but I've never been rude to a sim guru and I always say I'm HAPPY other people love 4-I just want that for myself and other players who are disappointed. I couldn't have been more loyal to the sims. But there are people who just want to abuse players like us just because we are disappointed, and that's really sad. I support my fellow simmers-I know there's stuff I hate in game that others love but I'd never campaign to rid the game of what they love just because of my personal tastes.

Agree again. :) The incredible amount of "I've got mine now go away" floored me. I'm not angry with anyone, I'm angry at EA. And as I've said before, all EA had to do was rename this iteration and make it clear it wasn't going to follow the previous games. For people who like the game, that's great. I'm human, and I don't like feeling left out, let alone ignored. But more than that I don't like being deceived.
    Post edited by Wildley Curious on
  • mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    mikmaker wrote: »
    Maxis has been silent about ghosts and pools too and they both were added with a patch. So...

Yey, because someone LOLed this comment (see quote) I got my 100 LOL's badge! Thanks :p

Agree again. :) The incredible amount of "I've got mine now go away" floored me. I'm not angry with anyone, I'm angry at EA. And as I've said before, all EA had to do was rename this iteration and make it clear it wasn't going to follow the previous games. For people who like the game, that's great. But I'm human, and I don't like feeling left out, let alone ignored. But more than that I don't like being deceived.

Exactly right. They said they couldn't include them because of time pressures. That hinted that they would be implemented once they caught up with things after release. But now we hear murmurs of an ep before they've implemented the missing items. So I suspect they've made the decision that people will accept the game as unfinished.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello @Jarsie9 I am here most days. This is one of my main sources of entertainment while I am on sick leave. Yes I do look at the General Discussion and am often upset by the lack of respect and kindness simmers show to one another just because their opinion is different.

Discussion and debate is healthy, but rudeness and trolling are not. Nor is it good to see people being driven to a frenzy over a few pictures when nothing has yet been confirmed. It is far better to conserve energy until you really know what you are up against. Collectively we could be a considerable force to be reckoned with but at the moment we are allowing that opportunity to slip away by squabbling amongst ourselves.

I see you regularly on the Forum, along with a great many others here and I value what you all have to say. I don't always agree but that's normal. I do not want to leave the Forum and I do not want to find it dead and empty. I want to see people whose opinions and thoughts I value, to stay at least until Christmas. I reckon by then we will either know what is likely to happen to this game and whether or not it is worth staying around or waiting it out until TS5.

Apologies OP I did not mean to de-rail the thread.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Hello @Jarsie9 I am here most days. This is one of my main sources of entertainment while I am on sick leave. Yes I do look at the General Discussion and am often upset by the lack of respect and kindness simmers show to one another just because their opinion is different.

Discussion and debate is healthy, but rudeness and trolling are not. Nor is it good to see people being driven to a frenzy over a few pictures when nothing has yet been confirmed. It is far better to conserve energy until you really know what you are up against. Collectively we could be a considerable force to be reckoned with but at the moment we are allowing that opportunity to slip away by squabbling amongst ourselves.

I see you regularly on the Forum, along with a great many others here and I value what you all have to say. I don't always agree but that's normal. I do not want to leave the Forum and I do not want to find it dead and empty. I want to see people whose opinions and thoughts I value, to stay at least until Christmas. I reckon by then we will either know what is likely to happen to this game and whether or not it is worth staying around or waiting it out until TS5.

You don't have to leave the forum, and I am not going to leave the forum. I will simply be lurking more. At this point, I'm just watching this particular General Discussion forum and noting how many game-bashing threads there are (practically none now) and the number of replies to each thread. As of now, very few have anything close to a hundred replies; in fact, the only ones that have more than that are threads like "Can the Sims 4 Be Saved?"

The fact that the number of replies are dwindling and that there are very few negative topics is a strong indicator, at least to me, that fans are losing interest in The Sims 4, or at least posting about The Sims 4, since all the arguments seem to be going in circles and, in fact, we have seen very little proof that EA is listening to us, apart from the pools and ghosts.

I don't play TS4 as much anymore as I used to, partly due to real life issues that I'm having, but mostly due to the fact that I get bored easily, despite trying many of the challenges I see posted here. There simply isn't enough to hold my interest. I'll still be around, I just won't bother to post as much.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    I don't play TS4 as much anymore as I used to, mostly due to the fact that I get bored easily. There simply isn't enough to hold my interest.
    This is probably another reason why the forums are getting quieter. I know that I am playing it less and less now and feeling very sad about that. I feel like I have nothing exciting to do with the game, cannot play a family legacy without proper family play and have nothing to look forward to. And if there's not much to do in-game then there will not be much to talk about here. There's nothing up-and-coming to get excited about, no carrots dangling...

A big part of the forums for me was always the build-up and collective excitement of things to come. At the moment, what do we have? Two careers coming in December? Big deal. Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but that's like trying to scoop water out of a sinking ship with a very small bucket.
    Frankly, I'd be surprised if people put up much of a fuss if it turns out that the first expansion pack is an open for business type expansion pack, because, I'm sure that they'll have figured it out: EA doesn't really care what its family-oriented generational players want; they're marketing to a new fan base. And kicking up a fuss isn't going to change that.

So, I predict, for what it's worth, that when we get that announcement, there might be some controversy, but not anywhere near what it was when this game was first released. But I don't expect that to last very long. I can't wait to get a new computer so that I can reload TS2 and TS3 and start playing them instead.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!

No, I totally agree with what you say and appreciate you for taking the time to say it. I know it's hard to stick around on these forums sometimes when no matter how nice and reasonable you are about your disappointment you are treated like some sort of monster. But I'm not about to let that sort of narrow mindedness prevent me from having my say. They can try to argue with me but I'm not interested and they can argue against no one because I've got better things to do.

I don't play TS4 as much anymore as I used to, mostly due to the fact that I get bored easily. There simply isn't enough to hold my interest.
    This is probably another reason why the forums are getting quieter. I know that I am playing it less and less now and feeling very sad about that. I feel like I have nothing exciting to do with the game, cannot play a family legacy without proper family play and have nothing to look forward to. And if there's not much to do in-game then there will not be much to talk about here. There's nothing up-and-coming to get excited about, no carrots dangling...

A big part of the forums for me was always the build-up and collective excitement of things to come. At the moment, what do we have? Two careers coming in December? Big deal. Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but that's like trying to scoop water out of a sinking ship with a very small bucket.

I'm totally of this mindset, they've totally obliterated my hopes and that's on them. Not us.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    I'll admit, I was part of that "sunshine and rainbows" gang when the game first came out. When I finally downloaded and played the game on release day, I was excited about a new generation of sims. But that excitement was quickly replaced with disappointment in everything that was missing.

But I still had hope, and the appearance of the gurus on the forums fueled that hope even more. I thought "wow, they're actually listening! They actually care!" So I kept playing and I kept reaching out to the gurus. But with every play through and every patch, the bugs and problems started piling up fast.

The gurus started out helpful, but as time went on and the praise was being replaced with complaints, it seemed like the gurus were becoming more and more dismissive. Now you try to ask them something and their response has nothing to do with what you were even asking about. Or they're completely contradictory. In the ask a guru thread for instance, I clearly remember guru holms stating they try to make the game more kid friendly. But when I asked him about it later in the exact same thread he told me they don't make a conscious effort to make the game child friendly. WHAT?! Make up your mind!

It's just becoming more and more clear that they don't feel like anything is wrong with the design choices they made for this game. I too have given up on trying to reach out the gurus. The fact that it's looking like OFB is the first expansion really confirms for me they don't listen, not at all. I don't believe they didn't know the amount of backlash they would receive for removing toddlers and pretty much everything that made generational play so great in the past iterations.

Sorry for the long winded post but I've had that on my chest for a while now. A small part of me hopes they can turn it around but I don't have any expectations for this game anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top