Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Uh, guys, this doesn't sound promising:
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801184/open-for-business-the-first-expansion-new-concept-art-suggests-so#latest

I'm feeling so disappointed right now. :(
    If they roll out OFB first, I will be really scared for toddlers. The longer they wait to release them, the less likely I think they will actually worry about making them. I have to seriously consider quitting the TS series. I will not support a company that conducts itself in such an unprofessional manner like releasing an unfinished game and then leaving out core features like family play.

If the first EP is OFB, I will seriously start to worry.

OMG no. Quelle horreur!
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    While I do understand the frustration with the lack of toddlers, the game has only been out for 10 weeks. Between the two patches for pools and ghosts .... it is a lot to ask for in such a short amount of time.

This statement I think would be 100% false and here's why I think that: Long before any official announcements of TS4 and when TS3 was still making EP's, players have always given their feedback way in advance when TS4 would have still been in the preliminary stages. This goes to show EA's focus is elsewhere and not on actual fans because they had more than enough time to develop the reasonable features some requested such as an improved open world, babies more detailed than ever before as in baby clothes/hair/accessories/etc along with much more for toddlers like preschool.

There were many, many topics about what others would like to see in the upcoming iteration. EA chose to pretty much ignore most of it. So I don't care what happens to TS Franchise, it can crash and burn. The future of TS is not worth anything to me anymore.

Edit: Also the SG's have let it be known they relied on some sort of focus group to get feedback for TS4. Not sure if it always have been like that for all past Sims games in the series but something is extremely different about TS4 in almost every way.

Actually no, it is not 100% false. The game has only been out 10 weeks. During the time it has been out for 10 weeks, we have had two of its issues added in, pools and ghosts. Those features were meant to be in the base game, but were not able to be put in. If I remember right, the development team asked for more time and were told no.

Everyone can play armchair quarterback and say what they should have done and complain about what should have been. But that will not change what we did indeed ended up getting. It also accomplishes nothing. Ask, scream, demand ... do whatever you think you need to do to get the game in the direction it can go. I also do not buy that you do not care where the TS franchise goes, if you did you wouldn't have bothered to post and you would have just been gone.

Should toddlers been in the base game, absolutely. All life stages should have been. Will toddlers make a return, I do think that they will.

Wrong wording but you clearly knew what I meant since I explained.

Actually "complaining" or rather constructive criticism does help because it points out exactly what went wrong according to each individual. But if they listened they would understand common issues that many bring up and that is where attention needs to be or not I don't care.

Once upon a time I did care about the direction of TS Franchise but I don't think they care to truly satisfy customers just their pockets. For me all hope is lost. I post because I want to speak up but highly doubtful they even read or care but most importantly actually do something about it. I just feel like participating in all those topics years ago about ideas/concepts of improving the ages...all for nothing. All gone to waste along with other ideas to make this life stimulator even better. And EA made it so much worse, to me. It's a lost cause, I want nothing to do with TS4 and since EA has proven they don't listen and love to rush products out the door there is no future to look forward to. Just more of the same old, same old.

I'll speak up but in other words I do not expect any positive change, it's pointless. Like talking to a brick wall. But beyond TS3 I'm not one supporting them anyway so I mainly speak with my actions.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801184/open-for-business-the-first-expansion-new-concept-art-suggests-so#latest

At this point I am beyond disappointed. I am shaking with anger. This means a lot to us and instead of coming along and placating us-even just giving a tiny glimmer of hope for better they continue to ignore us. Its ridiculous.
    While I do understand the frustration with the lack of toddlers, the game has only been out for 10 weeks. Between the two patches for pools and ghosts .... it is a lot to ask for in such a short amount of time.

This statement I think would be 100% false and here's why I think that: Long before any official announcements of TS4 and when TS3 was still making EP's, players have always given their feedback way in advance when TS4 would have still been in the preliminary stages. This goes to show EA's focus is elsewhere and not on actual fans because they had more than enough time to develop the reasonable features some requested such as an improved open world, babies more detailed than ever before as in baby clothes/hair/accessories/etc along with much more for toddlers like preschool.

There were many, many topics about what others would like to see in the upcoming iteration. EA chose to pretty much ignore most of it. So I don't care what happens to TS Franchise, it can crash and burn. The future of TS is not worth anything to me anymore.

Edit: Also the SG's have let it be known they relied on some sort of focus group to get feedback for TS4. Not sure if it always have been like that for all past Sims games in the series but something is extremely different about TS4 in almost every way.

Actually no, it is not 100% false. The game has only been out 10 weeks. During the time it has been out for 10 weeks, we have had two of its issues added in, pools and ghosts. Those features were meant to be in the base game, but were not able to be put in. If I remember right, the development team asked for more time and were told no.

Everyone can play armchair quarterback and say what they should have done and complain about what should have been. But that will not change what we did indeed ended up getting. It also accomplishes nothing. Ask, scream, demand ... do whatever you think you need to do to get the game in the direction it can go. I also do not buy that you do not care where the TS franchise goes, if you did you wouldn't have bothered to post and you would have just been gone.

Should toddlers been in the base game, absolutely. All life stages should have been. Will toddlers make a return, I do think that they will.

Wrong wording but you clearly knew what I meant since I explained.

Actually "complaining" or rather constructive criticism does help because it points out exactly what went wrong according to each individual. But if they listened they would understand common issues that many bring up and that is where attention needs to be or not I don't care.

Once upon a time I did care about the direction of TS Franchise but I don't think they care to truly satisfy customers just their pockets. For me all hope is lost. I post because I want to speak up but highly doubtful they even read or care but most importantly actually do something about it. I just feel like participating in all those topics years ago about ideas/concepts of improving the ages...all for nothing. All gone to waste along with other ideas to make this life stimulator even better. And EA made it so much worse, to me. It's a lost cause, I want nothing to do with TS4 and since EA has proven they don't listen and love to rush products out the door there is no future to look forward to. Just more of the same old, same old.

I'll speak up but in other words I do not expect any positive change, it's pointless. Like talking to a brick wall. But beyond TS3 I'm not one supporting them anyway so I mainly speak with my actions.

I couldnt agree more. Initially I was all for giving them the benefit of the doubt. But the way this has been handled is being kicked while we are down over and over. We tell you in september exactly how game breaking this is? So instead of acknowledging and giving even a tiny glimmer of hope we get patches for lots of other concerns and family play completely ignored. Then this ep business. Its beyond a joke. It gives the message that noone is listening. Where is the acknowledgement and words of comfort for us? It doesnt exist.
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member

At this point I am beyond disappointed. I am shaking with anger. This means a lot to us and instead of coming along and placating us-even just giving a tiny glimmer of hope for better they continue to ignore us. Its ridiculous.

I'm pretty upset too and considering OFB is one of the most asked for EP's of all time, it's going to sell like hotcakes and part of me wants to cry considering that we might have to kiss our toddlers/family play goodbye. I never thought I wouldn't be a simmer. Since 2000, the first month TS1 came out, I have been a simmer and I thought I'd be a simmer till I was an old person, but I'm shocked that I may be quitting the series this iteration. I never thought I'd say that.

If a family EP isn't at least 2nd, I am boycotting all EP's and sticking to TS1, TS2 & TS3. I'm getting angry about this too, but all we can do is sit and watch. I really wish the devs would throw us a freaking bone here. We're all going crazy over here.

I'm pretty upset too and considering OFB is one of the most asked for EP's of all time, it's going to sell like hotcakes and part of me wants to cry considering that we might have to kiss our toddlers/family play goodbye. I never thought I wouldn't be a simmer. Since 2000, the first month TS1 came out, I have been a simmer and I thought I'd be a simmer till I was an old person, but I'm shocked that I may be quitting the series this iteration. I never thought I'd say that.

If a family EP isn't at least 2nd, I am boycotting all EP's and sticking to TS1, TS2 & TS3. I'm getting angry about this too, but all we can do is sit and watch. I really wish the devs would throw us a freaking bone here. We're all going crazy over here.

Im with you. What is upsetting me is the total disregard from EA/Maxis. If they came in and said 'we HEAR you and GET it' and said they are trying to work on it id feel a tiny bit better. Its the ignoring the fans thing. In terms of customer service its poor.

• Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    Well, if OFB is indeed the next EP then it'll just solidify for me what I always knew but really hoped wasn't true - EA simply hears what they want to hear. Listening to the disappointed fans isn't in the budget, apparently.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
    Well, if OFB is indeed the next EP then it'll just solidify for me what I always knew but really hoped wasn't true - EA simply hears what they want to hear. Listening to the disappointed fans isn't in the budget, apparently.

Sadly its looking increasingly that way. But then remove the investment from family play players who feel this way-if you cant listen to us then you cant have our money. Its simple.
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    There are lots of OFB fans and they may draw in a crowd that wants that EP. Wishing you all well, but I am not sticking around wishing and hoping anymore. Went through that with Sims 3, far as I am concern EA, the Sims team, and those calling their group more important can take this game and shove it. I got to spend my time on other stuff. I am a sad panda.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.

Sadly its looking increasingly that way. But then remove the investment from family play players who feel this way-if you cant listen to us then you cant have our money. Its simple.

Yep. I'll stick with TS2 & 3. Throw in a little Skyrim (which at this point seems a lot less linear than TS4) and I'm set.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    I have linked to the feedback post. I think its important that they see and understand the depth of feeling here, it might not seem a big deal to them, or to other people on this forum but theres a section of players who its very important to.
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    When Sims 4 was released I gave them the benefit of the doubt, especially hearing they did intend them to be in originally and were cut last minute. When we ask about toddlers they are hush hush and say they can't comment. Yet they commented beforehand about ghost, pools, and careers coming in patches..now we see leaked screenshots on what they plan next. We still can't get a word on family play though. I'm beginning to think they just want to string us along hoping many of us will shell out more money and be ok with there silence and whatever they try to sell us. Does someone at EA hate families I wonder. Even though OFB was my all time favorite EP, I will not buy it. The base game is broken and it seems fixing the game just isn't weird enough for someone over at EA. You fooled me once, but not this time.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
    JaciJade wrote: »
    When Sims 4 was released I gave them the benefit of the doubt, especially hearing they did intend them to be in originally and were cut last minute. When we ask about toddlers they are hush hush and say they can't comment. Yet they commented beforehand about ghost, pools, and careers coming in patches..now we see leaked screenshots on what they plan next. We still can't get a word on family play though. I'm beginning to think they just want to string us along hoping many of us will shell out more money and be ok with there silence and whatever they try to sell us. Does someone at EA hate families I wonder. Even though OFB was my all time favorite EP, I will not buy it. The base game is broken and it seems fixing the game just isn't weird enough for someone over at EA. You fooled me once, but not this time.

Thats exactly how I feel. Its very unfair.

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited November 2014

I'm with you on that. I have been playing since 2000, and they have clearly shown they do not care about the long time, invested players who just want to see their beloved game evolve in the proper fashion. Like I said before. I don't even think they have played the games. Why should they care what the original game was about, they want to mold and fashion it into a game they want to play. Boo on EA.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited November 2014

Ghosts, pools, careers, etc. must have been in development well before we were told about them. The same thing will happen with toddlers (which I personally assume we'll eventually get). It does seem that they can't tell us something is coming till there's a date and no chance that it isn't going to come then.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Ghosts, pools, careers, etc. must have been in development well before we were told about them. The same thing will happen with toddlers (which I personally assume we'll eventually get). It does seem that they can't tell us something is coming till there's a date and no chance that it isn't going to come then.

But they told us toddlers were too. How much time do they think is acceptable to say nothing? Its only damaging relations to not even say that they totally understand and perhaps an apology for how it comes across?
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member

Toddlers were in development prior as well then cut. I'm not buying the "we can't comment" thing. Seems likely to me they already know it's not coming and telling us will end up with many fans walking away and not buying their EP. I envy your enthusiasm but they comment when they want on others aspects of the game. Something smells fishy to me about all this.

Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!

Toddlers were in development prior as well then cut. I'm not buying the "we can't comment" thing. Seems likely to me they already know it's not coming and telling us will end up with many fans walking away and not buying their EP. I envy your enthusiasm but they comment when they want on others aspects of the game. Something smells fishy to me about all this.

I think at this point they have pretty much crushed many peoples trust in them. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt. But theres a point when that well runs dry.
    I do remember a Guru saying they didn't want to "shoehorn" in toddlers. Given that the definition of shoehorn in this context means "force into an inadequate space" at this point I'm not feeling good about toddlers ever being in the game.
    I do remember a Guru saying they didn't want to "shoehorn" in toddlers. Given that the definition of shoehorn in this context means "force into an inadequate space" at this point I'm not feeling good about toddlers ever being in the game.
    I agree, bit funny how they said they were going to be in 4 then at the last minute suddenly theres no time, then we get these sorts of exasperating answers.

Does anyone remember back when I think Living Large was released, over at the official forum they asked us what we wanted to see in the next EP. People posted long lists, and we asked for vacations, pets, super stars, etc. And Maxis listened to us, we got some awesome eps with Sims 1. Then at least a year or so before the started working on Sims 2, again, they asked us what we wanted in a new Sims game. The main things back there were age stages with interactive babies and toddlers. We also wanted our beloved sims more real to us. Maxis, again, rose to the challenge.

And they didn't stay tight lipped about stuff either.

I remember when things looked bleak for Seasons. They couldn't get the coding right and it kept raining inside the houses. They never stayed hushed on that. They made it known. They told us about the problems, that they were working on them but were certain it could happen. Then when it did happen, guess what? They announced it. We are fans and EA/Maxis rejoiced together. That was back when they not only listened to us, but cared about their product. The Sims 2 had the best and brightest working for them and it showed in the quality of the game and the reaction from the Sims community. I don't know what happened to that or why, but I really wish that would come back. I wish they have developers who loved the previous games as much as we have, and want to continue the series further making it better as it continues to grow, not producing a completely new game and calling it The Sims.

I totally agree. It felt like much more of a community then and we felt invested in the sims. They are losing so much of that loyalty being this way.
  • Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    ...or maybe Family play isn't as popular as some of you want it to be...sure, you family players are very vocal and visible but the bottom line is, what do the majority of people want?...clearly there are a lot more people wanting something other than family play out there.
    So much for the "new and improved" CEO.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited November 2014

They should have taken that advice back in September before releasing an unfinished game then asking $60 for it. They shoehorned that!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top