Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Oh my - I would love to #FreeTheBabies - and with toddlers being slightly older than past games, I'd love it if the babies could do some skilling, too, and learn to sit and crawl.

And preteens! Yes, please!
  • MsPuffMsPuff Posts: 32 Member
    Yes, let's get babies and teens in the game next! :p Seriously though, I'm really happy they added toddlers, although it would have been nice if they had been more open about the fact that they were working on it. My favorite things so far are that you can BATHE toddlers again (I hated that you couldn't in Sims 3) and they can go up STAIRS!

I have my doubts about preteens getting added though. If their original excuse for making teens the size of adults is not wanting to remake animations, then that problem has just gotten worse with each added pack. With toddlers it's not quite as bad because, although they need all new animations they are limited in what they can do compared to adults. For example, Toddlers can't swim or play basketball or cook or clean, etc. Preteens, on the other hand, would presumably be able to do almost everything a teen or adult could do, so they'd have to recreate almost every animation in the game, and they might want to add new ones as well to make them stand out from the other life stages. Maybe there's some technological way they could convert the animations, but since this presumably stopped them from doing it once, the idea that they'd do it now that the animation list is even bigger than it was at release, I have my doubts that it will happen.
  • Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    #freethebabies but let us teach them how to crawl, sit up, use a bottle etc :D
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I agree @MsPuff it is very doubtful we would get preteens. Though, I did become utterly convinced we would never get toddlers either, and I've just had the pleasure of watching mine scrambling onto the sofa (bless), so never say never ;)

I do hope babies will get a life though.

And I still fail to see why they kept us completely in the dark... mind you, I remember the hints that were 'non-hints', their denials over the baby bottle and teddy bear. Maybe someone in there was actually trying to tell us something after all.
  • JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    I agree @MsPuff it is very doubtful we would get preteens. Though, I did become utterly convinced we would never get toddlers either, and I've just had the pleasure of watching mine scrambling onto the sofa (bless), so never say never ;)

I do hope babies will get a life though.

And I still fail to see why they kept us completely in the dark... mind you, I remember the hints that were 'non-hints', their denials over the baby bottle and teddy bear. Maybe someone in there was actually trying to tell us something after all.

Yeah, looking back I am slightly suspicious about the "hints" as well. I refused to see anything in them at the time but now I am left wondering. I think they were deliberately put in there to get us thinking, but the Gurus carried on denying it (kind of like reverse psychology) so that the surprise from the player base would be bigger when toddlers were suddenly dropped.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Oh my - I would love to #FreeTheBabies - and with toddlers being slightly older than past games, I'd love it if the babies could do some skilling, too, and learn to sit and crawl.

And preteens! Yes, please!

YEEEESSSSSS!!!!! I would love for the babies to have some features like the ones from Sims Free Play, but I think this would be a topic of discussion in feedback. lol We'll keep the #FreeTheBabies hashtag going though.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    :flushed: How did this end up in General Discussion again?!

Welcome back, amazing thread!
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Since I'd lost all hope that we'd ever get toddlers, I'm reassessing all the times I've said "never." I think it's entirely possible we could get a Generations style EP with preteens. Would be awesome too if we got unleashed babies that were fine tuned to look a little more like sim babies and less like dollies a sim child would play with. And more stuff for teens that isn't just rehashed, "act like a mini-adult" blah.

2017 is off to an incredible start.
  • MsPuffMsPuff Posts: 32 Member
    That's true, @elanorbreton, and I would be very happy if they did decide to add them, but still not holding my breath! I think #freethebabies is a more achievable goal at this point since they must have had to have worked out some of the problems with them when they were working on toddlers. I really, really just want my sims to be able to sit down and feed their baby while talking to their older kids, that would be such a perfect addition to a family setting to me. Or hold a baby with one arm while cooking or eating with the other, but that might be more tricky. Mainly though, the option to have the babies come into different rooms, whether by holding them, or even if you have to add a carrier or swing or something to put them in, having them be able to go where the rest of the family is, instead of being stuck in one room by themselves, so they can actually be a part of the household and not just an object you occasionally interact with.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited January 2017
    if we could just get preteens and pets family play could be awesome with this game.

shocked they finally did make toddlers and they do look just as much adorable than before and hopefully just as well done as before.

I wish they updated newborns a bit now

carrying them around at home, taking them out with you and course items to place them in.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited January 2017
    As far as "updating" some of the interactions from previous GPs, SPs and EPs I think that now they've gotten the basic code in, it will just be a matter of integrating toddlers into the code for those. I've seen in the Patch update notes that certain fixes were added to specific packs, so let's hope they continue and tweek Get to Work and Dine Out and a few others. :)

I spent this morning and most of the afternoon playing with my family with my first toddler. I aged her up to a child (so I could play with the Kid's Room Stuff) and she now has a baby brother.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm glad you just posted cos i couldn't find this thread!!! @sparkfairy1 Did it get moved or am I just going nuts?
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    Anyhoo... I take you guys will have all noticed that toddlers get auto-taught how to walk the instant they age up.

Nice way of saving on locomotive issues or a yukky shorty-cut? What do you think?

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    MsPuff wrote: »
    That's true, @elanorbreton, and I would be very happy if they did decide to add them, but still not holding my breath! I think #freethebabies is a more achievable goal at this point since they must have had to have worked out some of the problems with them when they were working on toddlers. I really, really just want my sims to be able to sit down and feed their baby while talking to their older kids, that would be such a perfect addition to a family setting to me. Or hold a baby with one arm while cooking or eating with the other, but that might be more tricky. Mainly though, the option to have the babies come into different rooms, whether by holding them, or even if you have to add a carrier or swing or something to put them in, having them be able to go where the rest of the family is, instead of being stuck in one room by themselves, so they can actually be a part of the household and not just an object you occasionally interact with.

It was stated on the simulation talk thread that technically it is indeed possible to freethebabies but I guess it was a design (budget) choice. So maybe we may see free babies if the demand is great enough.

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    *pops up*

Team #FreeTheBabies!!!

*goes back into hiding*
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Anyhoo... I take you guys will have all noticed that toddlers get auto-taught how to walk the instant they age up.

Nice way of saving on locomotive issues or a yukky shorty-cut? What do you think?

Well technically I really never started training my real children to walk until they were standing and attempting it on their own - so not really much difference. Usually a real toddler does not care to be taught to walk until they are standing well without holding on. My babies tended to stand before a year old - but was not happy if you made them let go of what ever they were holding them upright with and these toddlers look about 2 so they should be trying to walk on their own anyway. Sort of the parent is just helping them learn balance more than anything - and I sort of like that. A bit more realistic to me albeit a little late - but I can deal with it - I am just so happy we now have toddlers. There are just no way I am criticizing as let's face it they are pretty marvelous with all the little touches many of us so hoped for. No nitpicking from me. Too overjoyed. I do all I can to keep from sobbing again even as foolish as I know that must sound - I just can't help it.

Hubby thinks I have taken leave of my senses as it is. LOL.

Nope - I am just overjoyed.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited January 2017

I'm glad that we don't have to teach them to walk, by the time they are toddlers they should be walking - a bit awkwardly - but walking. My kiddos where pulling themselves up on objects around 10 months, and finally walking no later than 13 months.

If they do decide to make babies real once again, I would like them to go from the newborn state - say after two days - to a more active state; being able to sit up, be feed in a highchair, crawling, playing with toys, etc. So it will be even more fluid from aging from baby to toddler.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member

I'm glad that we don't have to teach them to walk, by the time they are toddlers they should be walking - a bit awkwardly - but walking. My kiddos where pulling themselves up on objects around 10 months, and finally walking no later than 13 months.

If they do decide to make babies real once again, I would like them to go from the newborn state - say after two days - to a more active state; being able to sit up, be feed in a highchair, crawling, playing with toys, etc. So it will be even more fluid from aging from baby to toddler.

It would be great to have that for babies. The current babies in the game look 6 months old but act like newborns (aka, not doing anything except sleeping and crying) and it looks odd.
  • alsvalsv Posts: 36 Member
    I guess the family plays is comingo now. Toddlers, Pets... And there is no much more they can do for out-home play
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I actually prefer it. Toddler is technically defined as someone that toddles aka walks haphazardly. So the age that they had been using as a toddler before was way too young. Like 8 months to two years. Now they're like real toddlers, which are from about 1-4.

I don't think the way they implemented it was lazy at all. They added a slew of other ways for toddlers to learn. I love that they took some of our suggestions that learning should add more skills. Like they have to get better at movement skill before they can climb stairs. They can't learn shapes or numbers or animals until they are taught some basic life skills. I also love that the parents can reprimand for bad behavior. But you can also praise for it too. I'm not sure if there are true benefits to it, though.

Overall, I can say that I am satisfied with how they were implemented. They are almost everything I wanted.

It would be great to have that for babies. The current babies in the game look 6 months old but act like newborns (aka, not doing anything except sleeping and crying) and it looks odd.

I agree. They need to take some note from the babies in Sims Free Play. :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting to see that this thread has been moved to GD. I couldn't see it in feedback but a few other toddlers threads have been moved there instead lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I like how the toddlers learn to walk immediately. It leaves plenty of time to cover other skills they need for a good start on life.

My oldest took her first steps at 9 months old, seriously. And once she figured that out, she began to run. I was a nervous wreck. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top