Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer care, maintenance, and other geek-speak.

2...Next

Comments

• MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    @ John_Citron

THANK you so much for all that. I know it's been a while since I have been on this particular thread, but the topics bandied about here have not been far from my mind.

Now then,this may have been mentioned earlier and I don't want to bore folks by repeating, but I'm only stopping in on an otherwise low-tech night, and can't read through the pages (all 2 of them)
    I'm actually running a power supply lower than what the NVIDIA suggested, but I've had no issues with it overheating. So the higher recommendation is likelywhat yousaid "wiggle room". Now, I have had superior results tweaking the NVIDIA control pane,using its controls rather than "let the application decide". I was able to get my SIMS and their environment looking very sweet, with no "frame-by-frame" problems that I had when using the in-game visual controls to up the quality. Might be something there. Jagged edges? Reduce sharpness, etc.

The problem of "dim rooms"I read about in here I have elimnated with graphics card controls rather tha the TSM 4 graphics controls.

Also I think it was my first post, but about "transferring" my game to a different computer, should the need arise, will be easy. I found out that keeping a copy (current) of "Saved" and "Tray" from the SIMS 4 folder puts me right where I left off.
    I sort of monkeyed around with the wrong folder and my game would not restart. I saved those 2 folders,uninstalled and reinstalled the game, placed them back where they belong and it was like nothing happened. All I had to do was get rid of the tutorial.
    So I'll make copies of those two from timeto time just in case tweaking the card controls wasn't a good idea and smoke starts pouring out the back or something similarly dreadful.

Miki
  • Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Bit of an update, I've been playing the game on laptop mode for hours now, while the edges of items like fridges, beds, chairs and other items have jagged edges, the performance is excellent. There is still a great level of detail, like water droplets, flies, birds and even the background like trees, water and the houses as well.

The machine itself loves this setting, there's no noise from the fan and so far there's been no overheating.

I have to give the team who made TS4 credit, this game (for me) is so much easier to run and very PC friendly. And the game itself has kept me entertained for hours, there is lots to do and see.
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Clarkie100 wrote: »
    Bit of an update, I've been playing the game on laptop mode for hours now, while the edges of items like fridges, beds, chairs and other items have jagged edges, the performance is excellent. There is still a great level of detail, like water droplets, flies, birds and even the background like trees, water and the houses as well.

The machine itself loves this setting, there's no noise from the fan and so far there's been no overheating.

I have to give the team who made TS4 credit, this game (for me) is so much easier to run and very PC friendly. And the game itself has kept me entertained for hours, there is lots to do and see.

I couldn't have written it better myself! Although I fooled with the card settings just out of curiosity, the incredible detail is there to see even on the lowest game settings and no graphic card tweaks.

• Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Miki wrote: »
    Clarkie100 wrote: »

I couldn't have written it better myself! Although I fooled with the card settings just out of curiosity, the incredible detail is there to see even on the lowest game settings and no graphic card tweaks.

I did the same things and then reverted back to laptop mode a while ago, I'm playing it on an AMD Graphics card, which gives me far more superior graphics than the Intel HD Graphics card did (although that card had been worn out from playing TS3 on medium setting).
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Here's an item I forgot to mention in the initial post, and the first tip on keeping the computer running well.

Power Supply: This is the big box where the power goes in and all the wires come out. You'll here the store geek rave up how the computer has this that and other wattage ratings for the power supply. The bigger the wattage, generally means it will run your devices better. The newer video cards, for example require 650W or more. Never go to the minimum if you are building a machine. A higher wattage power supply will handle lower wattage parts and it will give you the leeway to grow if you ever upgrade your machine. There is one thing to keep in mind here. Not all power supplies will fit inside the computer, and some have custom shapes and connectors. This more true of those store-bought machines such as those from HP, Dell, Sony, and even E-Machines among others. Since they design everything, rather than use off-the-shelf parts, they can customize how they fit, and what is used. The problem then comes if you upgrade your video card or want to add an extra hard drive. There may, or may not be enough room inside the case to fit the new bigger power supply, nor there may not be enough power connectors either since the manufacturer went for the cheapest, usually, way out with the least amount of stuff they can get away with.

This brings up another point. Cheap power supplies. Sure you can get one for $35-$50 USD, however, they are made pretty bad. They may have the right wattage ratings, but don't last very long. If a new power supply is needed, and you don't have one of those Dells, HPs, or machines like that, opt for a more expensive unit from Thermaltake, Crucial, and other manufacturers. You might be lucky though, and fit a new better unit into one of these machines, but I'm not so sure. The best bet is to ask questions always, and someone will help you. Also keep in mind that when upgrading a computer not everything has to be thrown away, and one of the points of this, probably boring thread, is to save money for more fun stuff. A power supply, if it's still good, just like the case, can be reused for a few computer builds.

This brings up the other point and a start on the more important parts of the thread, which is to keep your computer running, and starts the real series of this pseudo blog.

Dust, dirt, and muck...

The biggest worst enemy for a computer is heat. Heat will cause the components to work harder, thus, putting out more heat, and eventually this will degrade their performance sometimes permanently. Keeping a computer cool can be an expensive proposition for big companies, and this is why there are those big computer rooms with air-conditioned raised floors. If these machines get too warm, they will crash, and parts will fail.

Our computers aren't that bad, however, they do get quite hot inside on their own, and don't need the cases plugged with dirt. Graphics programs, videos, and games make computers work harder, and produce more heat. You've probably noticed your fans spinning faster when playing the Sims or watching videos, but barely doing anything when playing cards, or using a word processor. This is the computer's motherboard sensing the heat and trying to cool things down for the parts. Video cards and the processor may automatically kick into high gear, and their fans will push more heat out. With clogged fans this can be an issue since there is nowhere for the heat to go.

The CPU chip alone runs sometimes at a minimum of 50 degrees Centigrade, or 122 Fahrenheit! That's hot enough to cause 1st degree burns if touched. Some components, such as the video card, can run even hotter at up to 90C, or 194F, which is almost the boiling point of water. Ouch! Now clog the fans, and the heat builds up. When parts get hotter than they're supposed to, they start to slow down, shutdown, or even fail totally if they can't cope.

Clearing the crud from the fans...

The process should be completed once every few months, using some simple tools, such as a glue-brush, canned air, and a stirrer or pencil, a computer can be cleaned inside and out.. The process outlined below is for desktop computers. Sadly, laptops can't be opened easily, and should be taken to a professional due to their tiny parts and easily broken latches. Even for desktop users, If you're unsure about anything, ask or bring your computer to a computer professional who can assist you.

A) Start by unplugging the computer from the wall and pressing the on-off button to discharge any residual power still in the circuits.

B) Unplug all the cords.

If you are not sure where they go, label them with little bits of tape. USB devices can be plugged in anywhere, but I recommend plugging things back in where they were because it's easier to remember that way.

C) Open up the case.

GASP!!! I can hear some saying they've never done this before. No worries, it's not as difficult as you think. There are screws on the side, usually Phillips type (the ones with the + on the end), or even thumb-screws you can turn with your fingers. Once unscrewed, and this is where it gets difficult to explain because there are so many variations, slide, pull, unclip, the lid. Some lids have a push button that unlatches the lid or side, and once you've figured out the key, you can get inside easily. Unfortunately, not everything is the same, so this is a bit difficult to describe, and you may have to fiddle and or look at the service manual, or even ask for help.

Once opened you'll see all the connections going to the drives, motherboard, CPU, video card, etc. Do not touch anything with your hands unless instructed to do so. A simple quick ZAP of static, and everything is gone.

Let's blow the dust out...

A) Put a drinking straw, coffee stirrer, or even a pencil into the fan or fans to prevent them from spinning, and give the case a blow out with the canned air. Never, ever, ever, use a vacuum cleaner! These can cause static, and static is the second worse enemy to a computer. ZAP! and everything dies. In case you are wondering, the purpose of the stick or straw is to keep the fans from spinning too fast when the air is blown over them. If they spin to fast, it can break their inside causing them not to work properly.

Blow around the case briskly, like you are spraying for bugs or spraying room freshener, while ensuring no ice appears on the boards anywhere (Keep in mind that the air is really cold and can cause frostbite too!). If the dust is really, stuck inside the cooling fins, and on the wires, take a glue brush and rub the bristles in the blades to loosen up the clumps, you may have to move the stick out of the way to do this if you are doing this to the fans as well. You'll see the dust clump out and you can then blow it out with the air. Repeat this with all the fans until everything is nice and clean. Now if the computer is really, really, dusty you might want to bring the machine outside so not to blow the dust through out your room. A friend of mine brought his machine to me for a clean out. The dust was so bad, it took two cleanings, and there was enough dust and lint in there to stuff a couch! Once the machine was cleaned, however, the performance was like night and day. He almost had a new-old machine again. Once this is done, put the case back together, and power up your machine. It may actually sound better and run without sounding like it's gasping for air.

As always, feel free to ask questions.

To be followed up, hopefully with more tips and tricks.

John

Anytime we open the computer, we keep one hand on the metal casing or frame to avoid accidental arching. There is also a wrist piece that can do this. It is worn around the wrist and has a clip that is attached to the metal casing or the metal framework if the case is plastic. Static can be a serious issue especially in the winter, on carpeted floors and in dry regions.

Don't shake the can of air, this can cause moisture to spit out from inside the can.
  • John_CitronJohn_Citron Posts: 140 Member
    [quote/]
    Anytime we open the computer, we keep one hand on the metal casing or frame to avoid accidental arching. There is also a wrist piece that can do this. It is worn around the wrist and has a clip that is attached to the metal casing or the metal framework if the case is plastic. Static can be a serious issue especially in the winter, on carpeted floors and in dry regions.

Don't shake the can of air, this can cause moisture to spit out from inside the can. [/quote]

Good thinking. The wrist bands are great too when working with the small chips and memory sticks (DIMMS) since they ground out you before you zap them. In my olden days, I used those when repairing circuit boards. Knock on wood though, I've been very lucky with the static zaps, and haven't done in any of my equipment yet.

On the more expensive power supplies, there is no need to unplug the unit from the wall, unless of course you're replacing the power supply. These power supplies have an off switch, which is independent from the computer's on/off switch. This kills the power to the system while still maintaining a ground to the wall, and hopefully a chassis ground as well, which isn't always found on in expensive cases.

Speaking of static... My cat zapped my expensive keyboard by sitting on it. She climbed up to get in my face because I was ignoring her. When she left, my caps lock light was stuck on and a bunch of keys stopped working. Since then I no longer buy expensive keyboards. The old $20 or less ones work perfectly fine, and if they die due to cat butt, I don't care.

John