Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coping with a Cold: A question

Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
I am big on working out, want to work out each and every day, and wish to get back my two-a-gym day kind of motivation. However, that is not the problem. The problem is that I have a cold. I went to the gym yesterday because I could breathe well and my sore throat was gone. Today I woke up groggy and now are experiencing mild congestion and can't make my mind up whether or not to go.......part of me says go because I can breathe, but the other half of me tells me that I have been coughing and sneezing and shouldnt (btw, its not a lot).

Here's what I know........going with a cold and working out actually helps the body fight it off.........so if you can go, go. BUT I have a hard time finding that fine line where its like "nope, can't go". I don't have a fever, but I know that if I did, that would be a definite indication to stay home. That and not being able to breathe too.

How do you gauge whether its a good idea or not to work out when you have a cold?

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    A cold will pass, just do the time and then get back to gym when you have recovered
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I suggest NOT going to the gym and passing around your germs. It is an enclosed area and with your immune system already fighting, it's probably not in your best interest either to expose it to further germ warfare until you're built back up immunologically.

It might be a good day for a jog or other outdoor activity. Could be better for your congestion as well. Fresh air is wonderful! I don't know where you live but there are probably several outdoor activities that would suit you.
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    @king_of_simcity7......thankyou for your response! Its so ingrained to go to the gym that I feel SO icky and sluggish if I don't go. This cold is VERY mild to be honest......my sore throat only lasted about a day......day and a half at least.....and I have very mild congestion now which kinda sucks cause its like "maybe you have a cold........maybe you dont.......I don't know!" LMAO!!
    I suggest NOT going to the gym and passing around your germs. It is an enclosed area and with your immune system already fighting, it's probably not in your best interest either to expose it to further germ warfare until you're built back up immunologically.

It might be a good day for a jog or other outdoor activity. Could be better for your congestion as well. Fresh air is wonderful! I don't know where you live but there are probably several outdoor activities that would suit you.

Thanks for your input.......unfortunately it is VERY cold out.......and I live in Tx......*sigh*. They are actually talking snow this week I think.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Bear31 wrote: »
    @king_of_simcity7......thankyou for your response! Its so ingrained to go to the gym that I feel SO icky and sluggish if I don't go. This cold is VERY mild to be honest......my sore throat only lasted about a day......day and a half at least.....and I have very mild congestion now which kinda sucks cause its like "maybe you have a cold........maybe you dont.......I don't know!" LMAO!!

if it is a mild cold then I wouldn't worry about it
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    edited November 2014
    You head off the a public place with a cold will be a decent prank, but seeing others sneezing and sniffing all over the place will make me think twice of ever hitting up my place.

I'd go for some relaxed routines and maybe even a jog if it's nice outside, but I wouldn't want to potentially ruin other people's day

Another thing is if you are taking meds, which may affect your heartrate, and exercising at the same time, you may put too much stress on your heart
    TL8ZBmw.gif
    You head off the a public place with a cold will be a decent prank, but seeing others sneezing and sniffing all over the place will make me think twice of ever hitting up my place.

I'd go for some relaxed routines and maybe even a jog if it's nice outside, but I wouldn't want to potentially ruin other people's day

Another thing is if you are taking meds, which may affect your heartrate, and exercising at the same time, you may put too much stress on your heart

Thats true Cauliflowers.......I am not taking meds, so that's good. If I did, I would make sure that whatever I used was disinfected. They have disinfectant wipes at the gym and I am very self-conscious about that when considering going with a cold.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member

Thanks for your input.......unfortunately it is VERY cold out.......and I live in Tx......*sigh*. They are actually talking snow this week I think.

I'm sorry, I had to lol that. :D If you are prepared for it, cold weather is awesome. Tons of outdoor activities, but I suppose being in Texas it isn't something you all are prepared for. I've seen tons of joggers around here even when the temps are well sub-zero. Just wear a scarf so you don't breathe in all that extremely cold air.

I'm sorry, I had to lol that. :D If you are prepared for it, cold weather is awesome. Tons of outdoor activities, but I suppose being in Texas it isn't something you all are prepared for. I've seen tons of joggers around here even when the temps are well sub-zero. Just wear a scarf so you don't breathe in all that extremely cold air.

Well, I wasn't born and raised here.........even I LOL at the cold weather here, but it does get bad here sometime. Last time it did, we had about an inch of ice on the roads so no one was going anywhere until it went away. It does snow here but very little. I do miss the snows in Colorado sometimes (thats where I was born).
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    just stay home and cuddle up with the rest of us, and by us I mean whoever is still here. I'm heading to bed
    TL8ZBmw.gif
    just stay home and cuddle up with the rest of us, and by us I mean whoever is still here. I'm heading to bed

Have a good sleep!! :) And thanks for your input!
  • rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Bob_B wrote: »
    it's not a cold it's aids you whorebag

You can leave now.
    > @rbridges430 said:<br />
    > Bob_B wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > it's not a cold it's aids you whorebag<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > You can leave now.<br />
    <br />
    You can make me a sandwich

Choke on it.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Me personally would be cautious cause when I do get a cold, I try to be careful not to pass it to anyone unless I have no choice to go out otherwise I will not. If I still felt well enough to work out I would just do so...at home until the cold has passed, then start going back to the gym. But that's just me.

Every time I go out I want to start wearing something over my nose and mouth because I get so annoyed when people sneeze and cough and don't even cover their mouths. Or wipe their nose/mouth with their hand and touch everything. Even though I wash my hands often and try not to touch my face, it's always possible to slip up. Besides when I get a cold, it's really bad because I have ear problems that makes it so much worse. I'm pretty much a homebody so I don't get colds a lot. In fact I can't remember the last time I had one...years ago I guess.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    -

Atomicus much @munchie885
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    -

He don't know when to quit...
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

This -- sometimes it's best to rest and let your body's immune system kick in and do its work. Maybe do a light workout at home; if you do yoga that can be a good easy workout that helps tone the muscles, or put on some good music and do some squats and knee bends at home. For the future maybe pick up a small set of hand weights and do some light arm lifts while watching TV; I've done that though my mother in law has my weights since hers got lost, so I need to go get a new set. (I'll be starting a gym routine next week finally!)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Me personally would be cautious cause when I do get a cold, I try to be careful not to pass it to anyone unless I have no choice to go out otherwise I will not. If I still felt well enough to work out I would just do so...at home until the cold has passed, then start going back to the gym. But that's just me.

Every time I go out I want to start wearing something over my nose and mouth because I get so annoyed when people sneeze and cough and don't even cover their mouths. Or wipe their nose/mouth with their hand and touch everything. Even though I wash my hands often and try not to touch my face, it's always possible to slip up. Besides when I get a cold, it's really bad because I have ear problems that makes it so much worse. I'm pretty much a homebody so I don't get colds a lot. In fact I can't remember the last time I had one...years ago I guess.

Some people build up natural immunities -- my husband worked in a public contact job for years as a bus driver, and people would get on the bus with all sorts of colds and flu and he rarely if ever got sick. He does get his flu shot every year; now that he's in his late 50s, a cancer survivor and responsible for helping his elderly mother, it's even more important that he stay healthy. (I had a very mild cold over the weekend, mostly stuffy head/ears, but I took it easy and was better by the time we had our short getaway this week.)

• John_CitronJohn_Citron Posts: 140 Member
    > @stilljustme2 said:
    > Deshong04 wrote: »
    >
    > Me personally would be cautious cause when I do get a cold, I try to be careful not to pass it to anyone unless I have no choice to go out otherwise I will not. If I still felt well enough to work out I would just do so...at home until the cold has passed, then start going back to the gym. But that's just me.
    >
    > Every time I go out I want to start wearing something over my nose and mouth because I get so annoyed when people sneeze and cough and don't even cover their mouths. Or wipe their nose/mouth with their hand and touch everything. Even though I wash my hands often and try not to touch my face, it's always possible to slip up. Besides when I get a cold, it's really bad because I have ear problems that makes it so much worse. I'm pretty much a homebody so I don't get colds a lot. In fact I can't remember the last time I had one...years ago I guess.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Some people build up natural immunities -- my husband worked in a public contact job for years as a bus driver, and people would get on the bus with all sorts of colds and flu and he rarely if ever got sick. He does get his flu shot every year; now that he's in his late 50s, a cancer survivor and responsible for helping his elderly mother, it's even more important that he stay healthy. (I had a very mild cold over the weekend, mostly stuffy head/ears, but I took it easy and was better by the time we had our short getaway this week.)

Absolutely! I found that out as a technician, however, it's also good to use good hygiene and extra good hygiene in the cold and flu season. Frequent hand washing, not touching your face, and the use of anti-bacterial washes go a long way.

But to add to this. I do agree with @stilljustme2. When someone is ill, even with a mild cold, it's not fair to those of us that don't have it. Sometimes, those with the germs come in contact with someone with a compromised immune system. For these folks, a common cold could be deadly! The other thing is you, yourself who is ill, is not going to get better. In the past, I had a nasty head cold turn into walking pneumonia. What started as a scratchy throat two days before, had me home for 3 weeks on heavy antibiotics!

John
    @John_Citron Ick! Sorry to hear of your walking pneumonia. That's one reason I try to take it easy when I first feel like I'm coming down with something, so I make sure it doesn't turn into something worse.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Yeah frequent and intense exercise when I'll isn't the best Idea. It weakens the immune system.
    Just have lots of veg :)
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    -

He don't know when to quit...

Didn't even take him long to get banned.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • John_CitronJohn_Citron Posts: 140 Member
    > @stilljustme2 said:
    > John_Citron Ick! Sorry to hear of your walking pneumonia. That's one reason I try to take it easy when I first feel like I'm coming down with something, so I make sure it doesn't turn into something worse.

Thanks. Yup. I learned the hard way. I got over my sore throat and aches after one day and thought it was just a fleeting thing. I went back to work and put in my usual 10-12 hour days. I felt tired, but I usually do anyway due to other things, but I kept trudging on until I couldn't breath so I went to the doctor. A chest x-ray later and I was then out of work for 3-weeks and taking Biaxin which is one awful antibiotic. I ended up eating a ton of yogurt to bring the bacteria back into my stomach because it wiped that out of me too. It took about a month longer to fully get my energy back. I had the gumption, but no-go to go along with it. Seriously, it's nothing to fool around with.

You are doing the smart thing. :smile:

John