Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seeking Legacy Challenge-legal workarounds for culling, ghost towns and other Townie glitches

I've only been playing 4 for about 150 hours and trying my hand at the Legacy Challenge for about 18 hours, so I haven't knowingly encountered any of these problems but, I understand from the forums that there are several undesirable "features" in the way the game handles Townies that can wreck a saved game in a generation or two, not to mention ruin one's prospects for successfully completing Pinstar's Legacy Challenge.

I'm particularly concerned about the way the game apparently rather ham-fistedly "culls" Townies when the population gets too large, indications that homeless ghosts aren't culled and can't be deleted, reducing the Townie population to a bunch of ghosts. presumably within a generation or two, which sounds like it may be a big part of the reason people report their Worlds becoming devoid of eligible potential spouses and other "background" Townies.

Until these problems are fixed, I wonder if any of you have good, LC-compliant workarounds for them. And I want to ask of a couple of my ideas are LC-legal, or even possible.

1. To slow the generation of Townie ghosts, I think you can go into game options and toggle off aging for unplayed Sims. If Townies don't age, they won't die of old age, which should greatly slow down the generation of un-cullable ghosts. A lot of people would not like this option, I'm sure, because it would be pretty faky to have the same immortal Townies wandering around from generation to generation, but it wouldn't bother me. Townies were basically immortal in The Sims 2, and I got used to it. I just thought it added poignancy to a Townie's decision whether to move into a household and giving up their immortality (kinda like what Lady Arwen had to go through, not to mention what she put poor Elrond through, y'know?). But I also have a feeling that "aging off" for Townies may be forbidden under LC rules.

2. To save favored Townies from random culling, can you bundle them up and move them into households? There might be Townies you want to spare for other reasons, but the main reason would be to save potential Spouses from culling. But would they still be eligible to be spouses after you move them into a household? And if you do that, is the game just going to generate more Townies to replace them, just making matters worser faster? If you're serious about saving lots of Townies, you could turn all the vacant lots into 8-bed group homes and spare dozens of 'em. To remain consistent with LC rules, you wouldn't be able to play any of these homes, your just basically warehousing Townies in them.

3. Are you allowed to turn "aging off" for all unplayed households in a Legacy household? I don't see how that can be a problem since pre-made Sims are off-limits as

3. Can you move homeless ghosts onto lots and then just delete them from there? I'm sure that would be LC-legal, but I'm not sure it's even possible.

That's probably more than enough for now. :) Any ideas would be appreciated.
Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
ldd083banner.png

Comments

• AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    for number 1 you can do that because it's not against the rule!
    for number 2, I always moved in all townies that is considered close to the town just for the sake of the culling. The only reason that you don't know their initial trait like Casandra Goth's trait, or Johny Zest trait. So for me it's okay for them to be spouse. Especially because they can't be spouse if they're culled.
    for number 3 yes you can also do that
    for second number 3 it is possible just go to manage world click the ghost family and press delete and boom.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    AkramA wrote: »
    for number 1 you can do that because it's not against the rule!
    Sweet!
    for number 2, I always moved in all townies (and) for me it's okay for them to be spouse.
    Hip Bump!
    Especially because they can't be spouse if they're culled.
    lol!
    for number 3 yes you can also do that
    Great!
    (or) just go to manage world click the ghost family and press delete and boom.
    Better still!

One other question: Do you only have to have "aging on" in the Legacy Household? Can I turn off aging in the rest of the neighborhood, or just for the Townies?

Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    I love the way you segmented every single thing in my comment!
    For me as long as your played household is aging on, I don't see any rule breaking thing. In my other legacy that I don't post, I let townies age and the non neighborhood not aging so the house is not filled with anyone I don't want but still someone living there (I disable townies moving in)
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I've got as non-legacy neighborhood I'm playing with only the active household aging, cuz I wanna go around and play each household in rotation and don't want their stories progressing without me. I've been making myself remember to go in and toggle aging for other the whole neighborhood when I'm playing my Legacy save, but it sounds like your saying I don't have to do that. I need to go to Pinstar's site and re-read the rules. Sure are a lot of rules lol!

Thanks again!
    ldd083banner.png