Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Change the UI Size

WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
Before I start, I'd like to state that my resolution in game and on my laptop itself is as high as it goes, so changing my resolution higher will not solve anything as it simply can't be done.

I believe the user interface is much too large. It's obtrusive and covers a majority of the field of view while playing. Tabs and popups could be sized down by about 50% and still retain readability without being so in-your-face. I really would like a way to make the UI smaller, whether it be through mods or Maxis changes. I've asked on modthesims if it was possible to mod it, but no one has replied as of yet. Here are some examples showing how obtrusive the UI can become once a few tabs and pop-ups are on screen at the same time.

LVc9q18.png
bX2iXNS.png
PdSinab.png
As you can see, the field of view is drastically cut by all these windows, but if the UI were smaller, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm really hopeful that there will be some way of shrinking this in the future.
Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

Comments

• Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I agree with you , I always keep everything minimized now. The worst one is the sims needs! why so freaking big?

In previous sims games I always kept everything open and it wasn't obtrusive at all.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    Hmm.. mine is so much smaller than that. I do agree though, there are lots of little things and they add up. I don't see why there couldn't be some kind of slider to adjust the size further, or at least small/medium/large. However, I could only see them addressing it if a lot of people complain. It doesn't bother me at this point, for my personal laptop and gameplay, but you could bring it up in the "Ask a Guru" thread.
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    Yeah I've seen some people's games have super, duper tiny UI's because they're running ungodly high resolutions. I wish there was an easy fix for this.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    For what it's worth, I've seen nothing in the modifiable code that refers to UI element sizes etc, it just activates them. So if an adjustment is added, I'd expect it comes from Maxis as a settings slider.

I haven't specifically looked for it, but haven't come across any references.

Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.
  • Options
    Sims33337Sims33337 Posts: 78 Member
    Honestly, the only thing they need to change is the sims, cause once I get like 5 sims, they become so small I can't click on a sim without trying 50 times
  • Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    Beginning to look like a mmo ui in the middle of a raid
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    That's a good idea. They should give users a slider to set the UI size.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited November 2014
    I find the ui to be intrusive yet too small in certain areas. I hate how you really can't leave the needs bars expanded all the time since the box takes up so much space on the screen and I also hate how the little sim portraits along the bottom of the screen get smaller and smaller the more sims you have in a household. And... I also hate how certain buttons are placed in such a way that you are having to look all around the screen to find things instead of in one general area. I love in past sim games how all the buttons you need for build/buy mode are located in one cluster at the bottom. In this game some are located top center,some are bottom left, some are top right etc. I just pretty much don't like much of anything about the ui and wish they or some modder would do a total overhaul.

Seriously though, the basic setup from past sim games wasn't broken so why mess with it so much. I used to be able to clearly see all my sims portraits and I used to be able to see all the pertinent info about my sims with everything expanded all the time and without my gameplay being obstructed and now in this game it's just a mess.
  • Options
    magnoliabunny69magnoliabunny69 Posts: 1 New Member
    your considered lucky too me as my bar is way too small! i cant see what sim im playing as
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    your considered lucky too me as my bar is way too small! i cant see what sim im playing as

What resolution are you on?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1