Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 mouse from Steel Series - side buttons?

So I got my Steel Series mouse today with the funky plumbob, but I can't seem to get the side buttons to work.

The plumbob and the mouse wheel button work fine (center on Sim and pitch control respectively) but the side buttons do nothing, as if I didn't click anything at all.
I've checked the engine profile thingy that Steel Series suggests to use to customise the mouse, but the only way to get the side buttons to work in game is to change the configuration for 'The Sims 4 In-Game' but it doesn't allow you to make changes.
I've made a fresh new profile with some custom side buttons but then I lose the mood-reflective plumbob.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
'Understanding is half the battle. Fireballs are the other half.'
- Acolyte Sousuke

'You can English in an English way all the way to the English'
'Whether it rains, whether it snows, Sims now have weather, whatever the weather whether they like it or not.'

Comments

• Options
    philkewleyphilkewley Posts: 552 Member
    sorry no, but if you get it to work please tell because I am itching to buy one.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    you may want to ask this at simsvip perhaps there are more players with it there or at the makers site itself
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hello,

I have a Steelseries Sensei mouse - what are you expecting the side buttons to be doing? I can't seem to find anything from advertising suggesting they have a specific function in the game.

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    EniracYEniracY Posts: 1,008 Member
    Well, anything. Change the walls perspective or move floors.

In other games you can customise the buttons to act as keyboard buttons but because The Sims 4 needs to be on the ready made profile that makes the plumbob change colour you can't customise the buttons.

Thanks ceejay I'll ask there too.
    - Acolyte Sousuke

'Whether it rains, whether it snows, Sims now have weather, whatever the weather whether they like it or not.'
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hello,

From what I've read, The Sims 4 profile in the Steelseries Engine is a read-only profile, which as you said prevents you from customising the buttons. It seems a bit silly that this is the case, but we are talking about a $30 mouse that has been based on the design of a $50 mouse, so some cuts needed to be made somewhere I reckon.

You could always make your own profile, granted you would lose the plumbob colour features.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    That is what I've done, but it seems pointless to have this special mouse if I have to lose the plumbob colour features to use it properly.

Thanks for answering though ^_^
    - Acolyte Sousuke

• Options
    So as an update, I contacted SteelSeries and they told me to use the Macro function to assign the side buttons.
    - Acolyte Sousuke

• Options
    Jessicarose92Jessicarose92 Posts: 1 New Member
    I tried using the Macro function but had difficulty using it, so after a bit of playing around I ended up copying the 'Sims 4 In- Game' profile and then I was able to edit whatever I wanted easily. Obviously I didn't touch the change led colour option which meant the plumbob still changes colour with my sim's mood AND I was able to customise the side buttons :)
  • Options
    yelly201yelly201 Posts: 79 Member
    I hope the OP was able to figure that out as well!