Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions about CC.

WhoDatWhoDatWhoDatWhoDat Posts: 118 Member
edited November 2014 in General Mods Discussion
So yeah, I'm just interested in people's opinions regarding Custom Content :smiley:

What is your opinion? Do you think it is too risky downloading it, or are you refreshing tumblr every 10 minutes to see if David Sims has FINALLY converted that Sims 3 Newsea/Peggy hair you have always loved?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Temporary Signature Line~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

v0q8.png

24ltv2x.gif

Comments

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I love cc. But with this game, it's hard to find nice hair or clothes that is compatible with Intel cards and won't crash my game...and since I won't be getting a new computer for christmas, it's gonna be torture to see all these nice hairs that I'll never be able to use :p
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • WhoDatWhoDatWhoDatWhoDat Posts: 118 Member
    edited November 2014
    candace92 wrote: »
    I love cc. But with this game, it's hard to find nice hair or clothes that is compatible with Intel cards and won't crash my game...and since I won't be getting a new computer for christmas, it's gonna be torture to see all these nice hairs that I'll never be able to use :p

Ikr! I have Windows 8 and only some hairs work for me :(

Today I saw someone converted TWO Newsea hairs and I had them In TS3 and I'm upset that I can't use them in my game as it keeps crashing when I try! D:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Temporary Signature Line~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

v0q8.png

24ltv2x.gif

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    What hair are you using in your avi? I've seen it before but I can't find it anywhere :(
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    candace92 wrote: »
    What hair are you using in your avi? I've seen it before but I can't find it anywhere :(

Just looking on Tumblr to see if it was still under 'sims 4 cc hair', and I can't find it but I found one very similar to it by MadlenSims-it is called 'Azzara Hair' and should be on Tumblr if you type in 'sims 4 hair'. I'll update this when I find the hair in my Mods package :)
  • AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited November 2014
    I've downloaded a few hairs that fit the style of the game somewhat, LumiaLoverSims and KiaraSims to name a few.

The game is still in its early stages, as well as the modding community, so errors and dreaded CTDs are likely to happen during this time.
    Given enough time, there will be more stable CCs and mods out there. :)
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Lol "risky"... in what sense? Can it break your game? Yes it can, even a well respected experienced creator can occasionally make a mistake. Can it turn your whole computer into a worthless piece of junk? No, it won't do anything that can't be fixed.
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Lol "risky"... in what sense? Can it break your game? Yes it can, even a well respected experienced creator can occasionally make a mistake. Can it turn your whole computer into a worthless piece of junk? No, it won't do anything that can't be fixed.

Unless you download it from a 'shady' website, then it could turn your computer into a 'worthless piece of junk' if it was a computer virus. ;) But I highly doubt that happening to anyone, I was just curious about peoples perspectives on CC, as I am a frequent CC user myself.
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    > @WhoDatWhoDat said:
    > IngeJones wrote: »
    >
    > Lol "risky"... in what sense? Can it break your game? Yes it can, even a well respected experienced creator can occasionally make a mistake. Can it turn your whole computer into a worthless piece of junk? No, it won't do anything that can't be fixed.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Unless you download it from a 'shady' website, then it could turn your computer into a 'worthless piece of junk' if it was a computer virus. ;) But I highly doubt that happening to anyone, I was just curious about peoples perspectives on CC, as I am a frequent CC user myself.

I don't really think that is an issue, as everyone at this point should have the common sense to realize something is wrong if they try to download CC that isn't compressed or .packaged :| I suppose custom scripts could be risky, but I really don't know to what extent the game's scripting system reaches. With TS2, I believe BHAVs didn't reach outside of the game, and with TS3, the Launcher wouldn't allow custom scripts, and I dunno where TS4 stands on that.

I suppose there could be some risks once CC really goes mainstream as more CC-authoring programs are released and everyone starts trying to do stuff. I wouldn't particularly worry about it, though, considering how commotion spreads through the Sims community like wildfire. If anyone did try anything malicious, it would probably only take about 34 seconds before half of the community was up in arms about it.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I swore by no cc ever. I haven't downloaded cc since TS1. I'm not quite sure what happened but I am now downloading cc for TS4. I am super picky though. The artwork has to match the game and I'm not into the realistic looking stuff-it actually creeps me out.

I am finding a lot of great content and it really helps to keep my interest too. I have only downloaded one new hair, because there are so few that actually fit in with the original design. I'm really not into the ts3 look that's going around.
  • ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    I use CC all the time. In Sims 2 I had little over 6GB. In Sims 4 I have about 300MB.

I do my downloading once a day first thing in the morning and that is it. I am very picky about what I get and I always organize them into files (for example: fashion, build, buy, etc.) and I save a picture of each item in the same file. I always scan the zip/rar file with my virus protector first and then scan the individual file. Then I check the download in the game.

To help keep the checking organized, I bookmark what I am downloading. Go into the game, and have the internet open. If I like the item I delete the bookmark, if I don't I keep the bookmark. I do that for each download. When I exit the game, I then go through the bookmarks I didn't delete and I remove the cc file from my game then delete the bookmark. Makes things so much easier to remember what needs to be checked and what needs to be removed.

I have a few hairs, and mainly they are conversions and additional colors like SimplyMorgans light brown hair. I do not like the Sims 3 textures in Sims 4. They don't match the environment, they have major transparency issues and look odd. This game wasn't built for those textures and wish the creators would do the hairs but match them to the games amazing artwork. I also refuse to use the cc eyebrows and eyelashes for the same reason. I have a lot of clothing recolors but I am very picky about those as well. If the textures and colors have a lot of pixels or does not match the environment then I refuse to use or keep those items. I do know anything that was originally created for Sims 4 Create-A-Sim Demo and wasn't converted to the actual game will crash Sims 4. You do have to be careful and check to see which one the hair was created for.

Custom content won't break your computer per say but it can screw up your game but usually pulling out the mod that causes the issue solves the problem. I have also found after all these years of doing this that most of the time a script file or a global configuration mod is what causes issues. I you stick to legit sites, like MTS, TSR, Around The Sims, Simply Morgan, DragonKSims, etc. you should be okay. Mysims4blog is great and so far anything that I have found from there I haven't had issues. Just be picky. My policy is if it is a pay site, if the download process seems strange or isn't a download site that I know then I don't download it. Better safe then sorry.

“Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Yup, this ^^

I'm pretty picky about cc also, I do love it though. Since S3 was the first game I used mods and cc, I kinda went crazy and as a result had some "questionable" cc that I quickly found and deleted. Ever since then, I've been more careful.

The only cc I've had any problems with was with a hair from, I think MTS that distorted my sim's face while she was eating so I got rid of it.

For the most part, I've been extremely fortunate with cc. So far in S4 I have around 100mb...not bad. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Yup, this ^^

I'm pretty picky about cc also, I do love it though. Since S3 was the first game I used mods and cc, I kinda went crazy and as a result had some "questionable" cc that I quickly found and deleted. Ever since then, I've been more careful.

The only cc I've had any problems with was with a hair from, I think MTS that distorted my sim's face while she was eating so I got rid of it.

For the most part, I've been extremely fortunate with cc. So far in S4 I have around 100mb...not bad. :D

I can relate to the questionable CC part. xD
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I would think that the people who will see this thread are all going to be Simmers who use mods and cc since this is the section for it. If this was posted in gd and moved, sorry.

To answer your question, I use it, I have since t2 days. Not much in 3 as it did tend to mess the game up, except eyes, skin and hair. It didn't seem to bother it that I noticed.

I am hoping that my favorite cc artists will continue making things for 4. I've been disappointed with a couple who have been giving us great cc, some since the original game. I hope someone else will make the Arizona sofa set from Holy Simoly for those of us who can't live without it, lol.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8