Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Storyteller Group

Comments

• AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited November 2014
    Taking a break from building, phew, it's been driving me mad but at least it's turning out pretty good. Can't wait for the move objects on cheat! Anyway, on the topic of heavy stuff in sims, what do you guys think about stories with really sad/sensitive/heavy content? I do have short story ideas but they're on really depressing topics and I'm not sure if people would want to read something like that..

Well, I usually don't like sad story. But if it comes on something I like first, it won't be a problem. I mean I don't like something start with such a depressing backstory and even a sad start. Well, it's just my personal opinion! other might have different one!
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Taking a break from building, phew, it's been driving me mad but at least it's turning out pretty good. Can't wait for the move objects on cheat! Anyway, on the topic of heavy stuff in sims, what do you guys think about stories with really sad/sensitive/heavy content? I do have short story ideas but they're on really depressing topics and I'm not sure if people would want to read something like that..

I like it, especially when it is game-driven--but that's because that's my style of storytelling, to let the game events drive the story.

But I've read some stories that are author-driven (meaning the writer develops the story and then places the Sims in situations so that the writer can get the needed screenshots), and I find those very satisfying to read. The Willow's Way is a great example of that, and it's one of my favorite stories to read.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    AkramA wrote: »

Well, I usually don't like sad story. But if it comes on something I like first, it won't be a problem. I mean I don't like something start with such a depressing backstory and even a sad start. Well, it's just my personal opinion! other might have different one!

Yes.... but at the same time, your legacy has LOTS of drama! And a little sadness, too. It all comes from what's happening in the game, it seems, and you usually work it out in the end. I really enjoy the drama that's in your game!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Sometimes, I just play as an escape. Like...I can't control what's happening around me, but I can control these Sims. But I haven't played in a few days because RL things are apparently more important...bleh. And also? Be safe driving.

hahaha! Sometimes, it's the opposite for me! Like I'm afraid to play certain Sim families (uhh.... Manzanita Bough?) because I can't control them! And the game feels like, wow, so out of control! So I either play an easy Sim save or I wait until I am up for surfing with the lack of control that my complicated family might throw me.

• DizziestSimsDizziestSims Posts: 788 Member
    Back to My Roots
    Ending his tour at The Blue Velvet LeSean finally gets revenge on Zoe.
    Live-at-Blue-Velvet-11-20-14-8-Robinson-Family-The-Sims-4.png?zoom=1.5&resize=476%2C268
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims
  • KingCobblerKingCobbler Posts: 176 Member
    @hirondelle09 said:
    > Taking a break from building, phew, it's been driving me mad but at least it's turning out pretty good. Can't wait for the move objects on cheat! Anyway, on the topic of heavy stuff in sims, what do you guys think about stories with really sad/sensitive/heavy content? I do have short story ideas but they're on really depressing topics and I'm not sure if people would want to read something like that..

I personally love reading sad/sensitive/heavy content. I also love the Sims, so I love it when an author combines the two. I'm writing a challenge right now that's got a lot of that in it. One problem I've come across is the T for teen rating. It's difficult to write really sad/sensitive/heavy content without exceeding the rating, which is intended for 13 and up. So, if you have something really mature in mind, you might try writing original fiction instead of the Sims driven kind. If you think you can handle the topic with "violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language," I say go for it. Either way, I know I'd read it.

As a side note, I'm totally jealous of your building skills. My own houses/community lots have yet to turn out even close to pretty good. :D
    @robinsonfam - sweet chapter!

• BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    ...Sometimes, like @CathyTea said, I just play my game and it helps me work through my RL things. Sometimes, I just play as an escape. Like...I can't control what's happening around me, but I can control these Sims. But I haven't played in a few days because RL things are apparently more important...bleh. And also? Be safe driving.
    Oh, likewise! I mean, there's nothing wrong with playing a game for purely recreational reasons, but I think I can safely speak for all three of us (lol!) when I say that one of the things we like about this game is using it to kinda inform (and sometimes just escape from ) RL stuff.

And, yes, the RL stuff is more important, or whatever. [eyeroll]
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
    edited November 2014
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @Bilmonaghan - Be safe! All the best wishes for happy resolutions.
    Hey, not to clot up the board with RL stuff but, thanks. ...
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
    edited November 2014
    or whatever. [eyeroll]

...or whatever.... :)

• RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    Hi all! I'm going to browse through the stories posted here :smile:
    I'm thinking of starting a story, I'm still working on it, hopefully it'll be good enough for people to read. I wanted to make videos but that's a bit more complicated, maybe once I get a better computer. I'll probably be posting it soon
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited November 2014
    Hi Everyone, I've been reading up some stories in this group, and I'm enjoying it. I'm also working on mine, and here's the info:

Story Title: Sisi Aset's Ascension
    Author Name: Jy-Mhan
    Story URL: http://sims4thirteenghosts.blogspot.com
    Brief Description: Sisi Aset possess the Simcronomicon, a book that tells of a ritual that promises great power or wealth, but Sisi's other self is not keen with the ritual. It's a story tie-in with a challenge I made that consists of thirteen ghosts. Inspired by Lovecraft and the movie, Thirteen Ghosts.

This is my first time writing from The Sims. It has been a fun experience, and it has rekindled my pursuits in writing after a six month hiatus. I have four chapters in, and all four were written chronologically. I found out that there were some inconsistencies that followed when I changed up the narrative. Right now, I'm changing my method to writing all the chapters now and then revising them to make it more coherent.

My plan was to have thirteen chapters, but I don't think it's plausible since the four chapters barely scratched the surface.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
    Rivie wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting a story, I'm still working on it, hopefully it'll be good enough for people to read.

Everything's good enough to read! Seriously! We all get so much from reading what everyone writes, and each of us brings so much of our own unique perspective and writing style and approach to gaming and living, that everything is a worthwhile contribution! Plus, the spirit of this thread is welcoming and encouraging and supportive, while also being a place for tips and feedback and suggestions and bouncing around ideas and posing questions.

Looking forward to your story!

@nastyjman - I'm enjoying your story! This sounds like a fun (and hard) challenge!

• nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    @nastyjman - I'm enjoying your story! This sounds like a fun (and hard) challenge!

Thanks Cathy! The challenge becomes really hardcore if you try it as an elder. I have a play test where I have George Carlin as my sim (I'm a big fan of his).

Speaking of stories, legacy stories remind me of One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Whenever I read other simmers legacy stories, I'm reminded of that novel because of how everyone is connected and how everyone has their own quirks and weirdness. It's also great as the characters are really interesting that you can't forget who they are.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
    Had some free time today to read some of the new stories here and catch up on some of the older ones.
    I must say it is fun seeing how we all are so creative with the same game.

Some stories are dramatic with gorgeous Sims and novel like writing.
    And others are funny with quirky families and crazy storylines.

I spend just as much time if not more creating stories as I do playing the game.
    It's fun to be able to share and read stories from others who have the same passion and are supportive.
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims
    @robinsonfam - sweet chapter!

Thanks!

Yes.... but at the same time, your legacy has LOTS of drama! And a little sadness, too. It all comes from what's happening in the game, it seems, and you usually work it out in the end. I really enjoy the drama that's in your game!

It's really lovely that you pointed out my legacy. And yeah, it really is comes from the game, and the game itself is designed to be able tocreate drama. I didn't think I wrote about depressing stuff, oh wait, I forgot that I wrote "deathly birthday cake". Well, I guess I'm kind of liking depressing story (hehe?). The point is as long as it's interesting to read, and that's the most important.

Well, btw, it's feel great to know that you enjoy the drama in my legacy.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: Chapter Seven: Musical Chairs
    Katelynn realizes she should have read the fine print before agreeing to take part in a Legacy household.
    150lddvii.png
    ldd083banner.png
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    You know what it is...I write creatively on my own. I have a few stories, one sort of novel that needs a lot of work, but this writing is easier because the Sims do inform the story a lot of the time. Yes, I might have an idea or two and try to make that happen, but I listen to my Sims and just narrate what they're experiencing. It is the best push to keep writing creatively that I have ever had.
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    @bilmonaghan...loved that update. So much. Laughed and laughed and laughed. Good for Katelynn.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited November 2014
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    @Simmerville, your story has been added but the description is slightly too long. It must be 140 characters or less (a standard Tweet length). Yours was a few characters over, but I don't want to choose for you which word could be dropped or changed to meet the description requirement.

Oki, sorry for that @enkeli63. Here's a shorter description:
    Legacy founder, Ochana Mox, won a house. There's just one catch: the Secret Mission requires her descendants to unveil Gloomville's secrets.

Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    My thread keep sinking in this forum! Bumping my thread seem to be a bad idea!
    Well, here's the new episode!
    http://sims4fletcher.blogspot.com/2014/11/G02E06-family-inventory.html
    @AkramA - I love the TS2 photo at the end! What a fun surprise! It's neat that Rose has such good friends! So... she wants to be heir, huh? I guess she doesn't realize it's the spares that live the good life!

My thread keep sinking in this forum! Bumping my thread seem to be a bad idea!
    Well, here's the new episode!
    http://sims4fletcher.blogspot.com/2014/11/G02E06-family-inventory.html
    Man, Rose and Philip are col' blooded! Ba haha ha ha !
    ldd083banner.png