Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BUG] Bills are escalating on an undeveloped property. Last bill = 23,848.

SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
((I know this post is long and getting longer. I'm hoping a Dev or Guru will read it, so I'm trying to consolidate all the pertinent info in one post. That way, they won't have to dig through multiple posts to get the information they need.))

I am currently playing a Challenge which requires us to purchase but not develop a property. My Sim Minnie bought a lot for 5,500. Even though I'm on Week 5, she has not built anything on the lot, so the lot is still valued at 5,500, according to the value calculated on Lot Information in Build/Buy mode. This value is verified by the Mansion Baron Milestone in the Fortune Aspiration. According to that Milestone, Minnie's house is worth 0, which makes sense because, even though she owns the property, it is undeveloped; there is no structure (and no furniture, furnishings or fixtures) on the property.

At the time of this writing, Minnie's total worth is about 60,000 (all numbers in this post rounded except the bills amounts). That number is calculated as follows:
  • Property value = 5,500 (lot with mailbox and nothing else)
  • Items in Inventory = 1,950 (cheap guitar, cheap violin, 4 plumbing parts, 17 common parts, tablet and 3 unpublished books)
  • Cash-on-hand = 52,000
  • Total worth = 59,400
During Week 4, her bills were 15,297. Property value was 5,500. She had only 10,000 in cash, but had about 38,500 in paintings in her backpack. Her total worth, including cash-on-hand, was about 55,000.

During the first three weeks, her bills were reasonable:
  • Week 1 = 248
  • Week 2 = 839
  • Week 3 = 422
The Week 2 bill was higher because she built a single 5-panel wall on the property to hang some pictures on so she could meet the "Display 25 paintings" Aspiration Milestone. After displaying the paintings, she sold them and destroyed the wall (recouping the building costs).

Minnie has not purchased much else during the Challenge. She purchased about 8 wall lights for the Landgraab's house, another 8 lights for the Roommates' house and 2 easels for an art museum. That's it.

In doing my research for this post, I read that the devs wanted to make bills higher in Sims 4 than they were in Sims 3. I also learned that bills are based solely on lot value, structure value, furniture and furnishings, fixtures and inventory. Cash-on-hand is NOT part of the bills calculation. Let's call this taxable worth.

Using that definition, Minnie's taxable worth on week 4 was 46,000 (and her bills were 15,297). Her taxable worth in Week 5 was 7,500 (and her bills are 23,848).

I cannot believe it is their intention to have bills equal more than 3 times a character's net worth!

Has anyone else encountered bills that are wildly out of line with their Sim's worth?

Update 1:

Minnie's household inventory is empty and always has been. She has no traditional career and therefore has no career rewards. Since hasn't built on the lot, there's nothing else in Household Inventory, either. Thanks @Sincerbox for suggesting that this info be incorporated into the post.

Update 2:

Finally got bills for Week 6. Total = 378. I'm more confused than ever now.

Update 3:

For what it's worth, I do not have any mods, no CC and have never downloaded anything from the Gallery. I clear my cache periodically (now that I've learned how to do so :)) and am up-to-date on patches (last patch done was the Origin patch, Nov 3, 2014). I tried a "repair", to see if that was a possible culprit.
Post edited by SimPoseyYum on

Comments

• colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I once had bills come up to 1 million simoleons before... :'(
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Wow. Talk about being over-taxed. Never seen a bill that high. Highest I had on the most expensive and developed lot was just under 8k
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Wow. What lot did she buy? I bulldozed the Willow Creek park and had huge bills before it occurred to me to delete the trees and other plants on the lot. They still weren't in the tens of thousands of simoleans territory, though.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    colton147 wrote: »

:open_mouth: In RL I got an electric bill over $500.00 for a single month! I called the electric company to see if there had been a rate hike, explaining to the woman that we hadn't done ANYTHING different. No air-conditioning was on, yet. I almost cried. It's bad enough in RL, let alone in a game. Oi!

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member

:open_mouth: In RL I got an electric bill over $500.00 for a single month! I called the electric company to see if there had been a rate hike, explaining to the woman that we hadn't done ANYTHING different. No air-conditioning was on, yet. I almost cried. It's bad enough in RL, let alone in a game. Oi!

Growin some illegal plants in the basement hmmm?
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    Wow. What lot did she buy? I bulldozed the Willow Creek park and had huge bills before it occurred to me to delete the trees and other plants on the lot. They still weren't in the tens of thousands of simoleans territory, though.
    I don't remember the name, but it's the one in Willow Creek north of the Goth(?) mansion. I didn't bulldoze it because it was empty to begin with.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

I had one over $700 once. End of year adjustments. Yay!
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    You don't mention anything about the contents of the household inventory. It is unlikely that this is a factor but have you checked it? If she is working a career and getting normal career promotions those items would be included in her total worth and subject to taxation.
    Origin ID: Barbara917

Yeah, we got a water bill once for $1300 because there was a toilet running. Who knew??? It never overflowed, so we paid it no attention. We were trying to sell the house and move out of state, so we had no choice but to pay it -- no time to fight it.

Life lesson: If the toilet's running, ALWAYS jiggle the handle (or get it fixed)!
  • mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    Thanks Obama....
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    You don't mention anything about the contents of the household inventory. It is unlikely that this is a factor but have you checked it? If she is working a career and getting normal career promotions those items would be included in her total worth and subject to taxation.

Yep. Checked it. She doesn't have a traditional career so no career rewards. Her Household Inventory is empty. Thanks for suggesting it, though. I should have put that in the OP.

The Challenge, by the way, is Mooch off your Neighbor, created by @Terrylin. It's quite enjoyable! Even with this bills bug (and a multitude of crashes), I'm still working my way through. It's that much fun and totally worth it.
    Had an interesting thought last night: perhaps the bills were so high because Minnie was staying at the Landgraab's place. Perhaps she was getting THEIR bills (what a frightful proposition!)? She was at their house both times the astronomical bills were delivered and she has been spending most of her time there. Could it be?

But the game recognizes Minnie's purchased lot as her "home" lot. When she goes "home", her lot is where she teleports to. Her home lot is the one where I can directly enter Build/Buy mode -- I can't do that while on the Landgraab's lot (I have to go through Manage Worlds or whatever it's called).

Anyway, as an experiment, I made absolutely sure she was at the Landgraab's house when the Week 6 set of bills was scheduled to be delivered.

What the heck? Bills = 378.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled for a reasonable set of bills, but now even more confuddled as to why she had those two ridiculously high weeks. Oh well, I suppose I'll need to think on it more.
  • crzy_gal_101crzy_gal_101 Posts: 1,856 Member
    edited November 2014
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    Thanks Obama....
    Jenna-Marbles-Thanks-Obama-Obama-Barack-Obama-Thank-you-Obama-Thanks-MR-President-Thank-you-MR-President-GIF.gif
    There's a Jenna Marbles gif for everything!
    Official Katy Perry Sim: http://goo.gl/Vxo3Be
  • keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member
    You didn't happen to have any 'masterpieces' that she had painted either in her personal inventory or hanging on the walls?
    keshialee wrote: »
    You didn't happen to have any 'masterpieces' that she had painted either in her personal inventory or hanging on the walls?
    No, nothing :(. Heck, she doesn't even HAVE a wall. The lot is completely undeveloped. Although she painted a few pieces at the art museum early on, she sold them. No display.

Her personal inventory has/had a few salvaged parts, a guitar, a violin, a tablet and an unpublished book or two. Nothing else. Household inventory is empty.

I'm baffled.
  • TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    YAY! Glad to see the bills have went back to normal. We will be left with wondering wth for a long time. ;)
    We could call it a death tax for Nancy's death and you being upgraded to woman of the house! :p
    See ya on the Moocher thread! :)
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited November 2014
    Had an interesting thought last night: perhaps the bills were so high because Minnie was staying at the Landgraab's place. Perhaps she was getting THEIR bills (what a frightful proposition!)? She was at their house both times the astronomical bills were delivered and she has been spending most of her time there. Could it be?

But the game recognizes Minnie's purchased lot as her "home" lot. When she goes "home", her lot is where she teleports to. Her home lot is the one where I can directly enter Build/Buy mode -- I can't do that while on the Landgraab's lot (I have to go through Manage Worlds or whatever it's called).

Anyway, as an experiment, I made absolutely sure she was at the Landgraab's house when the Week 6 set of bills was scheduled to be delivered.

What the heck? Bills = 378.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled for a reasonable set of bills, but now even more confuddled as to why she had those two ridiculously high weeks. Oh well, I suppose I'll need to think on it more.

That is a very interesting thought, and along the lines of something I have been thinking myself for quite a while. I may have to check out the bills thing in a moment, I have a sim who is a mooch and is for all intents and purposes living at the Pancake's home. He's only been on his property a few minutes in the weeks I have played him. Never put much thought into the bills, though.

I have been thinking about how sims see properties, like why when your power goes off for not paying bills does everyone's power in the whole world go off too? And how you can pretty much live at a neighbor's house and they don't say anything.

edit, just got bills @$71, for one bunny guitar on the property and nothing in inventory aside from one postcard. Going to be mean and make everyone in the world go without power/water. Bwahahahaha.
    Post edited by Jessa_Dakkar on
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    During Week 4, her bills were 15,297. Property value was 5,500. She had only 10,000 in cash, but had about 38,500 in paintings in her backpack. Her total worth, including cash-on-hand, was about 55,000.
    Okay, there was a lot of data in the original post. What I gathered from it is that during week 4, the bills went up dramatically. They stayed high in week 5, and are now down again in week 6.

It sounds like the paintings in inventory drove up the taxes (albeit to a rather high amount). I can't tell from what you wrote whether she increased the number of paintings during week 5 and whether she sold any paintings during week 6.

Anyway ... that's what stands out to me.
    edited November 2014
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Okay, there was a lot of data in the original post. What I gathered from it is that during week 4, the bills went up dramatically. They stayed high in week 5, and are now down again in week 6.

It sounds like the paintings in inventory drove up the taxes (albeit to a rather high amount). I can't tell from what you wrote whether she increased the number of paintings during week 5 and whether she sold any paintings during week 6.

Anyway ... that's what stands out to me.

Me too! I think it had something to do with the paintings. Did you go to the challenge thread and read her breakdown? She had more paintings then. Now I thought that when you bought something then sold it right back that it wouldn't count on the bills. She put a wall up to get the aspiration then deleted it all but was still billed for it is my guess. Still so confusing! :\

Oh and they fixed the electric being turned off for the whole town when you don't pay your bills issue in the ghost patch. So you can mooch away and not pay your bills if you so desire! >:)
    I have no doubt that they will end our mooching eventually since someone complained in the chat about it. I hope not because it is fun! :p

Happy Mooching! :)

silly typo

...Okay, there was a lot of data in the original post...

Heh yes, I know (sorry about that). In my defense, I'm trying to consolidate as much info as I can into one post for two reasons: 1) so I don't forget what happened and 2) because I'm hoping to get this in front of the eyes of a Dev or Guru. I'm hoping they may be able to shed more light on what happened and why. I assume they'd prefer to have all the info in one place rather than having to chase it down through an entire thread or series of threads/posts.

I suppose some might also say I tend to be a touch loquacious... I've never been part of the 140-characters or less club :).
    ...It sounds like the paintings in inventory drove up the taxes (albeit to a rather high amount)...

Quite possible. It's as reasonable an explanation as any other. What's perplexing, however, is why the tax would be nearly 40% of property value (especially given that the property is ALL artwork -- no buildings or structures). I have another Sim who's property value is greater than 350,000. Most of that value is in paintings on the walls (I assume she has at least 200,000 in artwork, the balance is land and buildings). I can't remember what her last tax bill was. Using the 40% model, her bill would have been approaching 150,000 :o. I probably would have remembered that!

To test things out, I'll play the 350,000 Sim later today and report back.

Terrylin wrote: »
    ...She put a wall up to get the aspiration then deleted it all but was still billed for it is my guess. Still so confusing! :\...

Yes. But again, that wall only cost about 300. Surely the Sim Government wouldn't charge 15,000 taxes on a 300 wall. Ouch!
    ...Oh and they fixed the electric being turned off for the whole town when you don't pay your bills issue in the ghost patch...

Yes, thank goodness for that! I've only allowed the power to be cut off one time. It was on my test Sim, just to see what would happen. Hehe I treat her so cruelly sometimes! On the other hand, she got a Motherlode later on, so she really can't complain :).
    ...I have no doubt that they will end our mooching eventually since someone complained in the chat about it...

Shhhhh don't give them any ideas! Well, don't give them THAT idea -- I wanna mooch forever! Someone complained? (Emotion: Sad).
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    See, this is why I use *motherlode*

I don't usually use cheats BUT sometimes ya just have to do what ya gotta do! ;)

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

I don't usually use cheats BUT sometimes ya just have to do what ya gotta do! ;)

Yeah, it seems easier to actually make money in S4, but if the bills get that high, I would use the cheat!

• MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    ...Okay, there was a lot of data in the original post...

Heh yes, I know (sorry about that). In my defense, I'm trying to consolidate as much info as I can into one post for two reasons: 1) so I don't forget what happened and 2) because I'm hoping to get this in front of the eyes of a Dev or Guru. I'm hoping they may be able to shed more light on what happened and why. I assume they'd prefer to have all the info in one place rather than having to chase it down through an entire thread or series of threads/posts.

I suppose some might also say I tend to be a touch loquacious... I've never been part of the 140-characters or less club :).
    ...It sounds like the paintings in inventory drove up the taxes (albeit to a rather high amount)...

Quite possible. It's as reasonable an explanation as any other. What's perplexing, however, is why the tax would be nearly 40% of property value (especially given that the property is ALL artwork -- no buildings or structures). I have another Sim who's property value is greater than 350,000. Most of that value is in paintings on the walls (I assume she has at least 200,000 in artwork, the balance is land and buildings). I can't remember what her last tax bill was. Using the 40% model, her bill would have been approaching 150,000 :o. I probably would have remembered that!

To test things out, I'll play the 350,000 Sim later today and report back.

I've noticed that at least some items depreciate in value over time. (Possibly all, not sure). I noticed that when I have sold old furniture and bought new. The old furniture never sells for the same price I originally bought it for. That could explain your other Sim with the large house and art having relatively lower bills. I remember in Sims 2 that everything depreciated in value over time, except for some pieces of art (which appreciated in value).

I don't think belongings and buildings are taxed at a different rate. It's the value of the property itself (the empty lot), plus buildings and associated building decorations (paint, carpet, shrubs), plus physical belongings (whether they are on the lot, in the house, in personal inventory, or in household inventory). I may be wrong.