Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Preference in The Sims 4?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    While part of me want the choice in CAS I just know that I'd constantly be driven mad by finding a cute townie for my sim and they'd have the wrong gender preference.

My favourite is sims 2, all sims were BI by default and based on the players interactions they earned positive point in either dirrection. If they did romantic interactions with only one gender they would only autonomously flirt with that gender but if they did interactions with both genders they'd stay Bi.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I wish we had the option to choose this in cas, including the option to set a sim not attracted by anyone.
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    kirby356 wrote: »
    Is there a need for one? I always liked how sims have been fluid with their sexuality, and we haven't been forced to label them a certain way. I'd like to keep it that way.

THIS!
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    I would love this feature, maybe if they ever added Turn ons and Turn offs again they could implement it?
  • Options
    Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    I am just discovering that sims have gender preferences and I am like 🐸🐸🐸🐸..This totally screws up my storyline.
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited December 2018
    For townies I would prefer they are neutral, for the same reason someone else mentioned above: it would make it harder to find a possible love interest, especially if you like more or less complete control over your stories.

I don't really see a need for it as a CAS option either, given that you can just decide that yourself in your gameplay.

ETA: I just realised this was necroposting. Sorry.
  • Options
    Nekomata19Nekomata19 Posts: 105 Member
    If you don't mind mods, azoresman has made a mod where you can set your Sim's preference. Here: http://modthesims.info/d/576385/gender-preference-set.html
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    There should be checkboxes; and it should be possible to check neither of the boxes, or both.

So, specifically bi/pan sims, straight sims, and gay sims should absolutely be a thing. Asexual sims too, actually. That's a thing. That should be a thing in the Sims; not everyone is into that kind of stuff, believe it or not. This would be the "neither" option.

Like me; I'm asexual. I'd like to have some actual ace sims, ones who would not autonomously flirt with random people, just because they accidentally watched a romantic tv show while I wasn't paying attention.

And no, Unflirty is just a trait that makes sims awkward at flirting, it does not count. Besides, it's an entire trait slot taken up by a thing I wouldn't even be interacting with. There are three trait slots. That's 33% of the trait space.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    There should be checkboxes; and it should be possible to check neither of the boxes, or both.

So, specifically bi/pan sims, straight sims, and gay sims should absolutely be a thing. Asexual sims too, actually. That's a thing. That should be a thing in the Sims; not everyone is into that kind of stuff, believe it or not. This would be the "neither" option.

Like me; I'm asexual. I'd like to have some actual ace sims, ones who would not autonomously flirt with random people, just because they accidentally watched a romantic tv show while I wasn't paying attention.

And no, Unflirty is just a trait that makes sims awkward at flirting, it does not count. Besides, it's an entire trait slot taken up by a thing I wouldn't even be interacting with. There are three trait slots. That's 33% of the trait space.

As a second ace all I can say is yep, non-flirty is not a great substitute.
    I have been frequently annoyed when rotating families to see my stories messed up by random love interests. Would love to set preferences for my sims. I would be fine if by default it remained the same as is so those who don't want to label or worry about rejection from townies have nothing to fear, I just want more control over the sims I play so they stop breaking the character I thought they were in my story...
  • Options
    BilmoBlampkinsBilmoBlampkins Posts: 226 Member
    I mean, I don't think Genders change that much to be worth picking one over the other.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    A whopping 90% of my sims are LGBTQ+ in some form. It’s nice being able to have games like The Sims 4 that I feel can represent me properly!

Something I think could help with the attraction system is if in the customisable gender settings they add an option of what your sim is attracted to; male, female, both or none.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited December 2018
    Tbh, I used to want to be able to choose a sim's gender preference, but I've grown to like how in The Sims games, you don't have a hard set sexuality, so it's not restricted. Almost all of my sims are bi, pan, or gay anyway. I guess I'd be down if it were overridable by player actions.

I would like for gender preference to be transparent, either way, whether it's the value we have now or one we choose.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I wouldn't mind it if the enchanting introduction was removed, because that one will decide a Sim's gender preference in many cases and against the player's will. Sims use it randomly with high enough charisma skill and it's far from always appropriate.

I think I favor the check box solution in CAS where it could be placed alongside the pee and pregnancy options.

So much related to defining a Sim's personality has been removed in Sims 4 compared to the previous iterations. It's very regrettable if you ask me, but that's a different discussion.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    StarryEyedSimsStarryEyedSims Posts: 6 New Member
    I like that all my sims are bi and I can hook anyone up with anyone. The last thing this game needs is more constraints , the gameplay is already limited enough as it is.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    I do play with two mods these days. MCCC and Sacrificial's Road to Fame_Professional Singing Career. I do know that under modeling career, I can have my Sim pose in either a male or female manner. I can also set his attraction, too. This could be why he rather brusquely shoved the male Fan off of him, when the Sim leaned over and tried to kiss my singer! I didn't expect that. But he's proved guys aren't his thing.

As for other Sims in my game, I don't give them too much attention, quite frankly. I'm not at all bothered by their quirky fashion sense or worried about who they date, etc. I play my Sims, exclusively. I stick to my personal values and play in a manner that wouldn't shock anyone. I have a blast, too, before anyone suggests my manner of play is boring. Erik my Global Superstar fell in love, (rather quickly, I might add) with Leila Klein, one of five female Sims I created and planted in the various worlds for Erik to 'choose' from. She couldn't handle his being nice to his fans. Come on, the guy has a Pristine Reputation. He knows who got him to where he is. Poor Leila, though would have constant melt downs and/or tantrums. This she did autonomously, no help from me. So, you see, I've got plenty of drama. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I like that all my sims are bi and I can hook anyone up with anyone. The last thing this game needs is more constraints , the gameplay is already limited enough as it is.

Bi/pan can still be the default for everyone you don't specify anything for. It can still be the default for townies.

It's just that sometimes, we might have something more specific in mind for our own sims. Some of us play our sims as if they are characters, more fleshed out in our mind than what the game allows for. And sometimes, these character sims may have specific orientations, so in those cases it's kind of jarring to see them autonomously flirting with the wrong gender, you know?

So having this option available for player-made sims would be nice.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr