Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

over stocked fridge problem

in my saved game I have fridges with 54 eggs, I think the problem came from a use leftovers mod & the porter mod at the same time. But clearing the caches is not clearing the problem - I've since removed both mods.

If I start a new game with the mods folder removed every household has 54 eggs in the fridge, the number goes up every time I quit & restart (it does go down if they cook, but not by much!)

If I start a new game after moving the Sims 3 folder to the desktop, the fridges are back to normal 3 eggs etc. So obviously something horrible has happened to my save, as I've already cleared all the cache files inc the world cache what else should I look for? Are there any other memory files?
Thanks

Comments

• KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    I've got no idea since I've never used those mods. You might try asking at the Nraas Industries website. Good luck!
    giphy.gif

• philkewleyphilkewley Posts: 552 Member
    this is seriously annoying now. I did a complete uninstall/install of all the ep's and sp's so I could start the game with no baggage, no downloads, mods, saved games everything inc the DC Cache was empty.
    here's what happened...

day 1 - household 1 the fridge contains: 3 tofu, 3 eggs, 3 cheese, 3 links, 3 lettuce. Saved and switched to another house (going to call it household 2) and opened their fridge, they've got 3 of each, so far so good.
    Saved and returned to household 1 (still day 1) their fridge now contains 6 tofu, 6 eggs, 6 cheese, 6 links, 6 lettuce.

day 2 - household 1 the Sim cooked waffles so their fridge now contains 6 tofu, 5 eggs, 6 cheese, 6 links, 6 lettuce
    Saved and changed to household 2, they've still got 3 of each, the Sim cooks waffles so their fridge contains 3 tofu, 2 eggs, 3 cheese, 3 links, 3 lettuce. they burn that meal and start again, leaving just 1 egg and all the rest unchanged. I get bored watching the poor old Sim burning another meal and save before changing back to household 1. Now they have 9 tofu, 8 eggs, 9 cheese, 9 links, 9 lettuce!

What the what is going on?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Not sure exactly where the fridge bug is, but one of the NRaas mods squashes it by not allowing fridges to ever be pre-stocked at all. It sounds like it should be Overwatch, but something is telling me it might really be StoryProgression. I had forgotten all about this until I started up an ongoing game with no mods at all in order to test something cooking related recently and found 103 eggs plus too much of everything else mentioned in all of the fridges in town.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Sophia666Sophia666 Posts: 427 Member
    ^^ I want to say Overwatch (it would make some sense but hey, who needs that right? :P ) but do check it out beforehand. Or get both. Both great mods- if your computer is up to story progression. :)
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @igazor, it is definitely Story Progression, it came up in a discussion previously. I have also been playing an un-modded game to try out some things and found my Sim's fridge full of ingredients when starting a new game, so I tried putting SP back in to check that it is SP that stops that.

@philkewley, your first problem of an overstocked fridge seems to be quite common but like igazor, I don't know why it happens. For me it's always 54 eggs, 15 cheese, 3 each of links lettuce and tofu, which are the original 5 items, then 8 other ingredients, some of them from Bohemian Gardens. I don't switch households though, so can't comment on your other problem. As I normally play with NRaas Story Progression, it doesn't normally bother me.
    thank you everyone, I thought I was going mad! I have overwatch installed already so I'll try story progression.
    OK so I am going to try Story Pro any advice on which modules to use?
    edited October 2014
    Wait, I get it. It's an evil plot by EA to get everyone to buy the store Bakery set. There is no other way any sim could use up that many eggs and Bohemian fruits just by making normal breakfasts. :D

@philkewley - If you are just starting out with SP and want to experience the progression part of it (which is the point, most of the time), I would suggest either no modules at all or just SP Extra to begin with. The other modules on the list from Career through Skill are all fantastic for what they do and many of us got them all eventually, but the additional menu choices they offer while tweaking configuration settings can be a bit overwhelming at first.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    So everybody without mods in the game has a stuffed fridge?
    Because I never noticed (will check next time I open my game).
    Or am I misunderstanding?
    5JZ57S6.png
    So everybody without mods in the game has a stuffed fridge?
    Perhaps not everyone, but when the bug hits it seems to hit pretty hard and not let go. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    But what does it do? I never ever noticed any problems with my fridge but I have been playing genies for quite a while now.
    They don't have to cook so they won't need any ingredients. I do store their meals though and there were never issues with that.

What I mean is: will the fact that the fridge is overloaded cause problems in the game?
    (again, maybe there are 60 eggs in my fridge but if it doesn't cause trouble I don't mind, then it's just a number ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
    I believe some of the cheaper fridges have limited capacity, but not sure if I'm remembering that correctly.

More to the point, I prefer that my sims either grow/harvest their own higher quality food or purchase ingredients from the store with the money they've earned. Getting unlimited free and normal quality groceries every time I switch households would be very annoying. I suppose IRL, I wouldn't mind quite so much (at work but thinking of my nearly empty fridge at home now).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    <quote>@igazor said:
    Wait, I get it. It's an evil plot by EA to get everyone to buy the store Bakery set. There is no other way any sim could use up that many eggs and Bohemian fruits just by making normal breakfasts. :D

...If you are just starting out with SP and want to experience the progression part of it (which is the point, most of the time), I would suggest either no modules at all or just SP Extra to begin with. The other modules on the list from Career through Skill are all fantastic for what they do and many of us got them all eventually, but the additional menu choices they offer while tweaking configuration settings can be a bit overwhelming at first.</quote>

Thanks for the advice, Sims can earn §100's from selling all the cocoa, strawberries and eggs but the worry is how full do the fridges need to be before dragging the game to a halt.
    igazor wrote: »
    I believe some of the cheaper fridges have limited capacity, but not sure if I'm remembering that correctly.

More to the point, I prefer that my sims either grow/harvest their own higher quality food or purchase ingredients from the store with the money they've earned. Getting unlimited free and normal quality groceries every time I switch households would be very annoying. I suppose IRL, I wouldn't mind quite so much (at work but thinking of my nearly empty fridge at home now).
    I understand, in that case it does spoil gameplay, didn't think of that.
    (yeah, I know, wouldn't it be great, coming home to a filled fridge every day lol ?)

5JZ57S6.png
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I've only seen my fridge with 15 blocks of cheese - so far. I remember telling my sim, "If you eat all that cheese, you're gonna be blocked-up for a Sim month!" >:^P
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited March 2019
    Has there ever been a fix for this? My sims started with 45 eggs and overstocks of the other normal items and then they multiply when I change lots or travel. At one time, I had 1200 eggs. If this was caused by the Chicken Coop or the Bohemian Garden I'd be willing to uninstall them, it's annoying. I've turned Story Progression off and there's still some multiplying but I think Overwatch may have caught the 90 egg thing I noticed. I looked for a mod for the game to STOP resetting my fridge but I've found none. I did see Nraas no fridge shopping, but I don't have a problem with that one, I don't think my sim's autonomously use the fridge often enough. I don't see how anyone could starve in this game, there's a free food option on every fridge and a bistro and bar food and grills....so many options for food.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

edited March 2019
    @tallcoolone - The fix is still in NRaas StoryProgression. The presence of the SP base mod and its version of progression stops the fridges from stocking randomly on travel transitions and on household switches. I see the bug come right back again if I ever play with SP removed to test something. Strange as it may seem, some players without SP reportedly never see it.

This thread is from late in 2014, after TS3's development cycle was over. As there was no fix forthcoming from EA back then, there wouldn't have been one since. The last meaningful patch we got for TS3 that affected gameplay in any way (not counting Origin) was in Jan 2014.

The way this was supposed to work, without mods, is that if you choose to move a new household in and play them or purchase a fridge for the first time, you get a small amount of food to work with to get you started. That was a kind and thoughtful touch by the game developers, but its programming went haywire for those who keep getting the ever-multiplying stocks of food in there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited March 2019
    Well...I wasn't looking for a fix, looking for more of a connection. I suspected it could be store items that caused the multiplying. I have the Bohemian Garden and those fruits are multiplied and the eggs and I have the Chicken Coop (not placed on ANY lot btw) Thanks soooooooooooo much for responding. Since I just started playing again, I've gotten so many answers from your posts....THX! :) I JUST started using OW and ET so I'm totally newb with mods. As far as Story Progression, since I'm playing the town and actually CAN now with those mods, I'm not using SP at all, EA's didn't keep my town alive. This leaves me with one question; Can I run that part of the Nraas mod without any of the other things?

I hope this is left open because it's still an issue. This issue occurred before I had ANY mod. Never any CC, only store content.

edited March 2019
    The store content is not causing this, or at least they hadn't been the triggers for many if not most players. The glitch had been noted and dealt with (by the mod) long before the Bohemian Garden and Chicken Coops were made available. The SP mod does run the town for you, but under the player's specifically set guidelines. In other words, it is also a way to manage no or limited forms of progression, it doesn't have to go wild trying to control every aspect of every household in town necessarily.

This page provides a pretty readable overview of how SP works:
    http://www.nraas.net/community/StoryProgression-FAQ-General

Many of us deploy some form of Rotational Play by leveraging SP's caste features. If you really do wish to control the entire town, rather than a defined subset of it, to an extent that is also possible by changing the options strategy around a bit to include Active vs. Not Active rather than "in my protected caste or not."
    http://www.nraas.net/community/Story-Progression-Rotational-Caste-Settings

If you do wish to pursue these options for progression, that's great but I would suggest bringing more detailed questions about the mod's workings and how best to deploy them to us at NRaas. It's kind of what we are there for. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Appreciated! I was HOPING it was an easy uninstall of store content.

• EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2014, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top