Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tropical blue ocean

I really want to create a tropical Island, but after spending a lot of time trying to make the ocean tropical by using terrain paint, I am not pleased with the result. Is it smarter to just edit Isla Paradiso(where I suppose the water is more tropical blue), or is there other ways to do it?
I think I read something about terrain paint from Cawster that works well. Does anyone have any experiences using this? If so, is it safe to download it from Cawster? :D

Comments

• sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @HopeAK, as an alternative to fiddling about in CAW, you might be interested in Burnt Waffles lighting mods.
    There are a lot of different flavours available for how the sky, lighting and water look.
    You just pick the one you want, download it and drop it into your Mods folder.
    I haven't used these myself yet, but have read that a lot of Simmers do use them as you can change the look of your world without getting into CAW at all.
  • RRArtieRRArtie Posts: 204 Member
    To change the look of sea and sky in CAW to IP or other, you only need to load ini files that are available on this forum. This thread explains two simple methods
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12250993/#Comment_12250993

The ini files are available on the FAQ post by Auntielynds. The are mixed in with the textures.

By changing the ini files, the world is distributed with them. If you rely on mods, then all users need the mod and some that may use your world aren't into mods.

hope this helps
  • HopeAKHopeAK Posts: 309 Member
    @RRArtie, don´t I need a special program for that? Like S3PE or something? I am really sceptical about downloading stuff, in case it will mess up my game
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    S3PE is totally safe. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the T and you'll be okay, I've replaced the ini files in 3 of my worlds with no problems at all. Good luck! :D
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    HopeAK wrote: »
    @RRArtie, don´t I need a special program for that? Like S3PE or something? I am really sceptical about downloading stuff, in case it will mess up my game

Hi :)

I've also been using S3pe for years and it never messed up my game or my worlds in CAW.
    ~Make sure to back up your world files before you change anything... it's always best. :)

• HopeAKHopeAK Posts: 309 Member
    Thank you everyone :)
  • RRArtieRRArtie Posts: 204 Member
    HopeAK wrote: »

In the referenced thread RFLong7 describes an approach that uses S3PE and has to be done each time you build the world in CAW. Later in that thread, I describe a second approach that doesn't use S3PE. You simply rename the ini files and place them in a Config folder in the CAW User data folder for the world. The one wrinkle here is that the Config folder is not copied by CAW if you do a "Save As". You have to go to Windows Explorer and copy the config folder to the new world folder. Every time you build the world CAW slurps up those files and puts them in the right place in the world.

Either approach works, once you have the ini files you want.