Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Messed-Up Family Relationship Bugs

Today during the Sims Guru Live Chat SG Lyndsay asked me to gather information from players still having trouble keeping proper family relationships in their games - husbands and wives being changed to room mates, half-siblings wanting to woo hoo, etc... I have bookmarked a couple threads on this already, but I know there are many more people still having issues with this. She wants as much detail as you can give her so they can track down the problems.

She asked me to begin a new thread where devs can see all of the information in one place. Please share your own examples, screen shots, or any links you have to already existing threads in case I may have missed any. She asked me to tag her in to this discussion once we are up and running. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    brainybeebrainybee Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited October 2014
    My daughter had teen siblings want to "mess around." She didn't know what that was (she's new to the game and I hadn't thought to warn her) so she clicked on it. She was NOT happy with the result!

Edit: The "mess around" wasn't her problem. It was that the Sims were siblings.
  • Options
    sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member
    It happens because you use cheats and age up sims in CAS.
    beXSQcW.jpg
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I have a problem with sister and brother in laws not being related. Its the eww factor when the mom of your family can hit on their kids wives or husbands.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Thanks @pepperjax1230. I knew this was happening but didn't have examples.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I've not had this problem myself, but I've also never edited a sim in CAS after it was created.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Not always @sholtx. A lot of players are having these problems without using cheats.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    I have a problem with sister and brother in laws not being related. Its the eww factor when the mom of your family can hit on their kids wives or husbands.

While they were related in TS3, they still could do that.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited October 2014
    sholtx wrote: »
    It happens because you use cheats and age up sims in CAS.

Dat clown... :o
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    brainybee wrote: »
    Thanks @pepperjax1230. I knew this was happening but didn't have examples.
    I noticed if you also stick them in CAS the half sisters and brothers will become roommates in CAS but in the game they are related which is weird. I thought it would be the opposite. Also the step parents should be related and they aren't.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    You will be the reason I turn off sigs @sholtx! :)
  • Options
    sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member
    Not always @sholtx. A lot of players are having these problems without using cheats.

Oops I didn't know that. I hope they rebuild the whole family relationship system.
    beXSQcW.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    They might have to @sholtx!

Also, I'm taking up a collection to pay a professional to give you a new sig!
  • Options
    They might have to @sholtx!

Also, I'm taking up a collection to pay a professional to give you a new sig!
    Its creeping me out its like a horror movie clown. :\

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I had this issue and it was caused by going into casfulleditmode I don't use it anymore.
  • Options
    I'm more worried about the idea of the relationships changing than the bug where romantic interactions become available to people that are related.

While it is generally taboo, it does happen that romance happens between those it shouldn't but people never stop being related right?
    I mean I'm sure if they fix one or the other, it will sort the whole situation, unless they are both happening in some sort of unrelated (no pun intended lol) fashion, which seems unlikely.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    Yea like the game not recogzning cousins and how they can flirt and all, I realize there is a term 'kissing cousins' but I'd rather avoid it in my game :p
  • Options
    I think the games relationship thing is weird anyways. Like in TS3 if your sims happened to separate from their first marriage and got remarried and had kids all those kids to the other kids would be half brother/sister. This one you do that it says they are a full sibling to them.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    I think the games relationship thing is weird anyways. Like in TS3 if your sims happened to separate from their first marriage and got remarried and had kids all those kids to the other kids would be half brother/sister. This one you do that it says they are a full sibling to them.

Yeah, sims 3 had excellent relationship tracking, I liked how it was nearly impossible to get rid of Ex status, aside from cheaty things like social networking or "clean slate" or whatever.
  • Options
    SimKeats wrote: »

Yeah, sims 3 had excellent relationship tracking, I liked how it was nearly impossible to get rid of Ex status, aside from cheaty things like social networking or "clean slate" or whatever.
    I totally agree @SimKeats If it was more like the relationships in TS3 then I wouldn't have a problem. The way it is now it hard to even tell who is related to because we don't have a family tree.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    Yea like the game not recogzning cousins and how they can flirt and all, I realize there is a term 'kissing cousins' but I'd rather avoid it in my game :p

I just aged one of my Paul's nieces into an teen and I tried to get her to romance one of Paul's sons. And Romance didn't come up as an option. And also the game does recognize cousins

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

While they were related in TS3, they still could do that.
    No they can't :\

5JZ57S6.png