Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Giving Sims 3 Another Go!

So after playing TS4 a ton, I've been slowly getting the urge to give TS3 another shot. Don't get me wrong, I've been loving TS4, but I don't feel like I ever gave TS3 a proper chance. I bought it on release day and have a few expansions, but I always kept drifting back to TS2 for whatever reason. I think the look of the sims themselves may have put me off, I tended to prefer my CC laden Sims 2 (I'm a bit of a CC addict, I have to admit) :p

But now there's SO much CC (and mods) out there for TS3, loads of different expansions etc etc. And I recently bought myself a new computer which should be able to handle that open neighbourhood pretty well. It feels like a good time!

So, whilst I'm waiting for everything to install, what are your favourite things about the game? Favourite things to do? Favourite CC or mods (if you use them)? Get me excited! :D
4h2kiv.jpg

Comments

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I cant forgot my family at TS3
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    edited October 2014
    I like that I can design anything I want. For good story progression you should download Nraas' mod because EA's doesn't function properly.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I feel confined in TS4, like my sims are living in a cage. A cartoon cage. :p
    I like TS3's openness and creative freedom.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    @ck213 I really like your new sig! :)
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Jessabi wrote: »
    So after playing TS4 a ton, I've been slowly getting the urge to give TS3 another shot. Don't get me wrong, I've been loving TS4, but I don't feel like I ever gave TS3 a proper chance. I bought it on release day and have a few expansions, but I always kept drifting back to TS2 for whatever reason. I think the look of the sims themselves may have put me off, I tended to prefer my CC laden Sims 2 (I'm a bit of a CC addict, I have to admit) :p

But now there's SO much CC (and mods) out there for TS3, loads of different expansions etc etc. And I recently bought myself a new computer which should be able to handle that open neighbourhood pretty well. It feels like a good time!

So, whilst I'm waiting for everything to install, what are your favourite things about the game? Favourite things to do? Favourite CC or mods (if you use them)? Get me excited! :D

Like you I adore content and mods and I absolutely must have my Sims looking their best and up to date :D This is my latest Sims family and style of gameplay.

my Sims 3 families are sporty and love to party and travel. They also they love to dress up go clubbing, drinking, eating and relaxing at the best spas and hotels. They live in Bridgeport but travel to various worlds including custom ones for long holidays where they own exclusive properties, cars and boats.

They are the very top of their careers and can afford to relax and spend more time together these days, they have many good friends and throw lavish parties to show their appreciation and status.

Despite the families love for one another they are not without problems but manage to hide their secrets quite well especially from the paparazzi.

one male member of the family went away on a singles holiday and came back with a slightly strange girlfriend and now they both live in the East wing and only go out at night which the rest of the family find puzzling...they are currently secretly consulting with a psychic to try and find more answers...

One of the male teens got his girlfriend pregnant so a new tiny edition was added to the family however as much as they all love to help with their newest member they feel like he has wasted his life....but would never say that to his face...

The mother of the family quite suddenly started to feel old and has been secretly paying for a potion which she hopes will make her look younger however when she felt that wasn't working quite well enough booked herself in for plastic surgery on a far away island where nobody would recognise her and she could recover at her own pace........ apart from the expense she is not sure she really looks any different......

The father cannot understand his wife's obsession with staying young because he has always loved her and at first when she started to disappear for hours at a time he thought she was having an affair and paid for the services of a private investigator however to his relief found she was meeting with a witch in " that part of town" to buy youth potions so he pretended for her sake he did not know and allowed her indulgences..

He is slightly more worried about son number one and that new girlfriend of his, he has changed since that holiday and meeting her, it's as if he is not quite the same person, he never sees much of him anymore and that makes him sad he blames the girlfriend and has commissioned the same private investigator to find out everything about her......

He is disappointed by his teen son's mistake having a baby so young I mean why could he not be careful like he was at his age, my god if his own mother and father had ever known what he got up to but the baby is gorgeous with the sweetest smile he has ever seen so he forgave him the first ever time he held the baby....

And what about the twin teen sister god she is a handful alright she never does as she is told and appears to have too much of an interest in the black arts or so he thought given the type of company she seems to keep which frankly horrifies him. He decided in that moment of reflection he was going to send her to boarding school instead of homeschooling her if she did not mend the error of her ways and possibly send the family bot with her to make sure she was doing as her told and the bot would tell him everything anyway, he smiled at the thought of it while planning the next holiday destination he thought they all deserved.

CC for the clothes, hair, eyes, skin, nails, makeup, jewelery, teen pregnancy clothes, beards, body hair, tattoos etc.
    EA Store content everything but a couple of clothes sets.
    Mods NRass MC, careers, traveller, cupcake restocks the EA bakery, the unmentionable one related to teen pregnancy, height sliders, no curfew for teens, children can order food from bars, mod that allows eating outside of any diner or restaurant in the world, there are so many I use and some have the smallest interactions but make a big difference in game. I also love playing in player made worlds :D

I hope that was the type of info you wanted if not apologies for rambling on lol :D
  • JessabiJessabi Posts: 68 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    I like that I can design anything I want. For good story progression you should download Nraas' mod because EA's doesn't function properly.
    I do remember enjoying TS3's create-a-style, so looking forward to playing around with that when I'm decorating :) And thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check that mod out then.
    CK213 wrote: »
    I feel confined in TS4, like my sims are living in a cage. A cartoon cage. :p
    I like TS3's openness and creative freedom.
    I definitely think I'm going to enjoy the openness of the world!

@SPARKY1922 Wow, loving all that family drama! Great storytelling, I enjoyed reading about your simmies :D Thanks for the mod suggestions too, I've been browsing around MTS and seen a lot of the ones you've mentioned. Only looked at that website so far and I'm already spoiled for choice! :p
    4h2kiv.jpg

Jessabi,

Some of my friends rave about Sims 2 but I never got chance to play as I was too busy but then Sims 3 came out and I started with that.

I use NRass mods mainly and some from MTS but also in case you are not aware there is a website called http://simsasylum.com/

They have many mods that really make a difference and can easily be used alongside NRass mods without causing any problems in fact I think Twallan recommended the site from the NRass website, you have to register and become a member but it is well worth it.

Remember to use Delphy's dashboard as well because this will advise if you have any corrupted or bad CC which can then be easily removed and I believe you can also find that on MTS.

Have you any idea what you would like to use the mods for, ie what style of game-play? If you want me to list the mods I use just let me know :D
  • KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    It's silly, but one of my absolute favorite changes from TS2 to TS3 is that you can move leftovers to the fridge, dishes to the dishwasher, turn off the tv, or throw away newspapers yourself and not make your sims take time to do it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just thinking about the open world makes me happy. When I first started playing I remember I would send sims jogging from one side of town to another. And I love seeing random stuff around town. And the worlds are so pretty, especially at sunrise or sunset. :)
    giphy.gif

KATENESS wrote: »

Just thinking about the open world makes me happy. When I first started playing I remember I would send sims jogging from one side of town to another. And I love seeing random stuff around town. And the worlds are so pretty, especially at sunrise or sunset. :)

agreed I send my Sims jogging or horse riding around the world or sometimes even the wind carver at different times just for the views and as you say sunrise and sunsets look spectacular :D
  • auntmichelle9auntmichelle9 Posts: 87 Member
    I really like being able to actually leave the house. You can go to the spa and get a massage or a tattoo, go swimming in the ocean (or even pools), or just go out to eat for a fancy dinner to celebrate high school graduation...to name a few. Plus I like that I can make the furniture or clothes actually match ;)
  • pumpkinpatch212pumpkinpatch212 Posts: 147 Member
    I just really wish you could go inside the rabbit holes...But Sims 3 is the best in my opinion. It has it's flaws, but what doesn't?
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I love the Mods and CC available for TS3 and how the 65 NRaas Mod package files I currently have installed along with the MTS Mods have all added to my game and fixed issues making the game unplayable.I love being able to play an open world version of TS2 with Sims 3 and my Mod settings.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • friend_in_handfriend_in_hand Posts: 68 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    KATENESS wrote: »

agreed I send my Sims jogging or horse riding around the world or sometimes even the wind carver at different times just for the views and as you say sunrise and sunsets look spectacular :D

Echoing that sentiment bigtime B)

WET PAINT
  • cameonet1950cameonet1950 Posts: 2,138 Member
    I just really wish you could go inside the rabbit holes...But Sims 3 is the best in my opinion. It has it's flaws, but what doesn't?

You can actually SEE inside the little train car diner...what ever it's called. It's got booths! I'll try to find my pic of it. So CUTE!
    TS3Siggy.jpg
  • cameonet1950cameonet1950 Posts: 2,138 Member
    Bookmarked this thread for sure! But I have to ask...am I out of my mind to be annoyed by seeing all of these TS4 avatars HERE? Isn't that like a slap in the FACE to our beloved TS3 game? Maybe I'm just too touchy about it but it still gripes me. :s
    TS3Siggy.jpg
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    By now, I should've had a copy of my own TS4 game. Though I must tell you, it's sometimes wise to just wait for EPs to come out for TS4. You won't believe how many things you could do if you own some of them all at once! Also you could save money if you do it this way. For example, you can pick which EP appeals to you the most. You can have time to research which one you should get first and which one to avoid.
    edited October 2014
    friend_in_hand,

I have loads of pics of different worlds I play in because sometimes I just come across beautiful scenery and it never fails to surprise me .. :D

auntmichelle9,

completely agree :D

well I read some players have made basements under some of the rabbit hole community lots and then used rugs to add content and apparently when Sims visit that particular rabbit hole they go down to the basement and can interact. I have not tried this myself so someone else may chime in with their experiences and info on the subject but this may be a way for you to change some rabbit holes :D

I found the following website where they have changed the rugs into doors and I am thinking about trying this out myself when I have a bit more time..

http://simsl3gacies.com/blog/category/rabbit-hole-rugs/

TadOlson,

I agree with you wholeheartedly the mods and CC caused me some heartache when I first started as it was a learning curve however these days I would not be without any of them :D

You can actually SEE inside the little train car diner...what ever it's called. It's got booths! I'll try to find my pic of it. So CUTE!

I would like to see that pic if you have one, I use the mod where sims can eat outside so I use the diner quite a lot more now they can eat outside :D
    Bookmarked this thread for sure! But I have to ask...am I out of my mind to be annoyed by seeing all of these TS4 avatars HERE? Isn't that like a slap in the FACE to our beloved TS3 game? Maybe I'm just too touchy about it but it still gripes me. :s

well I bought Sims 4 as despite being annoyed with what was missing as I decided my opinion would have no validity if I did not try it for myself and I did play Sims 4 exclusively for a couple of weeks trying out everything I could find to do and I quite like CAS but miss the colours/ patterns I can use in sims 3, there are some new emotional interactions I quite enjoyed and some of the scenery was quite pretty but not as realistic to me as 3 scenery and I really missed the open world and got really fed up with loading screens so I went back to Sims 3 (which I knew I would-) and have not opened 4 since. I quite like the way Sims 4 Sims look hence the avatar to answer your question.

While I understand that Sims 3 is supposed to be built on an old game engine my hopes for Sims 4 was a more polished, upgraded less buggy Sims 3 with all the features we had come to know and love and I simply cannot understand why we could not have that as wouldn't that be considered a gaming upgrade? I am no expert but I can honestly say if someone took over Sims 3 and upgraded it and made it less buggy thats where my money would be going :D
    Jimil wrote: »
    By now, I should've had a copy of my own TS4 game. Though I must tell you, it's sometimes wise to just wait for EPs to come out for TS4. You won't believe how many things you could do if you own some of them all at once! Also you could save money if you do it this way. For example, you can pick which EP appeals to you the most. You can have time to research which one you should get first and which one to avoid.

Because I never played Sims 1 or 2 and fell in love with Sims 3 when I first started to play I bought everything as it came out but now I am astounded how cheap some Sims 3 stuff has become as 4 has arrived however I don't regret my purchases as I still continue to enjoy playing with all that lovely content.

I already know I will not be buying Sims 4 content as it comes out because for me I am just not as excited about what it can do, for example if pools or toddlers comes back I already have that in Sims 3, the only time I would honestly be interested is if we could have an open world but a lot of techie's out there say it is not possible on this new game engine so sadly for me I don't think I can manage without that functionality but as you say if players are patient and wait then it will all become cheaper to purchase as time passes.....

cameonet1950 do you like my new avatar better now LOL :D
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member

I made a story about peeking in the windows of the rabbitholes - but I didn't get a pic of the inside of the diner :-(
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=452883
    SPARKY1922 wrote:
    While I understand that Sims 3 is supposed to be built on an old game engine my hopes for Sims 4 was a more polished, upgraded less buggy Sims 3 with all the features we had come to know and love and I simply cannot understand why we could not have that as wouldn't that be considered a gaming upgrade? I am no expert but I can honestly say if someone took over Sims 3 and upgraded it and made it less buggy thats where my money would be going

This is exactly what I expected as well. I never in a million years would have expected them to drop Create-a-Style or Toddlers! I can see where many people had problems with the Open World, so I wouldn't have been surprised if they shrank the open area into neighborhoods - but bringing back loading screens between every lot? When that change was first announced I was certain that it was misinformation.

I am surprised by how many people who bought the game are losing interest so soon. Even with everything that EA left out I expected that the base game would keep people's interests for longer than 6-7 weeks. But as I go through the forum I keep reading over and over how all the Sims seem alike and that there isn't that much re-playability (if that is even a word, lol). I see a lot of people saying that they will shelve TS4 until the first EP is released - but I don't think that will really help matters. I don't think that the basic game mechanics will change so the same problems will continue even when there are more places to go and new things to do. Players will still have to jump through hoops - they will just be new hoops. I guess that is fine if you need the game to tell you what your goals should be - but it won't be any fun for players who like to set their own goals and tell their own stories.
    Schweighsr,

I like your little slideshow I remember when I first discovered there were things inside community lots we could see and went to them all for a look see :D

I would have been disappointed with less open world areas but it would have been more bearable than a loading screen and I honestly have given Sims 4 a decent amount of play time and some things I do like but even if they add toddlers and pools I just don't think I can live without an open world neighborhood however other players say they hated Sims 3 when it first came out so who knows......

I have already decided I will not buy any further 4 expansion packs unless we can have bigger neighborhood area and more lots to work with at least but from what you are saying it appears it may not be possible, the whole thing gave me a brand new appreciation of sims 3 and all the many ways to play....... :D

Also as you say having to jump through constant hoops with 4 to unlock stuff is more than a little annoying and what I would expect of a mobile phone or tablet game to be like..