Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I buy Sims 2?

SimSiren3SimSiren3 Posts: 301 Member
edited October 2014 in The Sims (2000)
I posted this at the end of another thread, but it' languishing there (and slightly OT) so I thought I'd try again.

There's no legal way to download it anymore, so it looks like my only option would be buying the discs on ebay. But I seem to remember a big panic about SecuROM back in the day. I don't remember what the details of the panic were, so I'm not sure if I'd be doing something horrible to my computer if I downloaded those old SecuROM-containing games.

ETA: If I wanted to play Sims 1 + expansions as well, is there a legal way to get them?

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited October 2014
    Hi :)

Well, I'm not sure. If you never played it and started Simming in TS3, it's hard to say if you'll like it.

I've used Custom skins in TS2 since they came out- I don't really like the skins in TS2. I've also used Custom hair since forever... because not much of the hair is to my liking either (mostly I like CC hair as Maxis-Match in texture).

So, with so much Store and CC with TS3 and then going back to older graphics and harder game play... it's hard to say. Do you know anyone who still has the games or has had them? Maybe they can tell you.

Me, I still play it and am hoping to Finally do everything I never did- like witches and werewolves, apartments and hobbies. :lol:
    Maybe I play differently... how do you play The Sims? Do you like adventuring around the worlds or are you playing with generations and families?

If you have the money, sure, why not...

Personally, I never had problems with SecuRom but I know people who have and it messed up their computers. I still have the old SecuRom games installed, too. *knockonwood* O.o
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I played it before and loved it; it was mostly SecuROM that I was worried about. Supposedly it should keep anyone from installing it on a new computer?
  • Options
    It doesn't stop me from installing it. I've reinstalled it on my laptop after two wipes.I have had the same games and have installed them on at least 3 other computers. It was stopping some software from working... I don't remember it all any more.

• Options
    Okay, I think I'll take the plunge then. Thanks. Been really nostalgic for it lately. :)
  • Options
    You'll also have to bypass the launcher to open the game because the launcher wants to go home but there is no home so it won't open. :)
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    You'll also have to bypass the launcher to open the game because the launcher wants to go home but there is no home so it won't open. :)

How do I bypass the launcher?
  • Options
    I have Win7 -
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff (or the last expansion/stuff)\TSBin and make a shortcut of the Sims2EP9.exe to your desktop (or the Expansion/Stuff .exe). That's how I open my Sims 2 game. :)
  • Options
    I maaaaaaaaaaaay have just bought TS2 and TS1 and allllllllllll their expansions on ebay. I am in so much trouble.
  • Options
    Lol! Uh oh. XD
  • Options
    GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    Yay! It already seems like you've bought them already so have fun for when they arrive in the mail :)
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    I don't think you're going to regret buying them. They might be strange at first, lots of loading screens etc, but over time I'm sure you'll love both TS1 & TS2. Enjoy :)
  • Options
    dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    ooh! Sims 2 is my all time favorite sims game! I loved all the expansions and the whole game. even the horrid looking sims =)
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • Options
    alwslaughinggirlalwslaughinggirl Posts: 244 Member
    I got rid of all my Sims 1 and 2 games when I bought TS3, and eventually I re-bought ALL of them through thrift stores, oddly enough. You can try Goodwill, Savers, Half Price Books (they always have a TON of old sims games there!). Now I own all expansions for every Sims series, and believe me I got them cheap!! Now if only TS1 would work on my computer, I'd be golden.
    I've been playing since TS1. My favorite games are TS2 and TS4.
    Origin ID- manda102784 <3