Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grey play button only for SIMS 4

Play button greyed out for Sims 4 but not Sims 3 games. I uninstalled Origin, reinstalled in, it updated. Same issue. I'm so frustrated to have payed so much money for this game and can again not play because of technicalities. What's wrong with my game this time? What folders do I have to find and move to workaround playing this game? :s

Comments

• Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

It sounds like the game update got stalled for some reason. It may help to clear out the Origin cache files before trying to update the game again:

1 - Completely quit out of Origin (select Exit from Origin pulldown menu).
    2 - From the Start menu select Computer.
    3 - Navigate to the following locations:
    - C:\ProgramData\Origin
    - C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Origin (where USERNAME is the name of your Windows user account)
    - C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Origin (where USERNAME is the name of your Windows user account)
    4 - If the AppData and/or ProgramData folder does not appear, do the following:
    - Press Alt, select Tools, then Folder Options.
    - Select the View tab, then check Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    5 - Delete all contents from within the three Origin folders.
    6 - Relaunch Origin as administrator (right click on the shortcut icon and select "Run as Administrator").

If the game is still not updating or launching you can try using the Repair Install feature:

http://help.ea.com/article/i-cannot-load-my-game-from-origin-or-i-am-having-issues-in-game
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    RequiemforasimRequiemforasim Posts: 311 Member
    Thank you, Nicheademus--I went through the process of deleting like you outlined. And the game is now able to be played, yet crashes on saving.
  • Options
    I've reset through those steps before, and it's back to not saving again. What's the next step? (Here is my previous post w/ computer info: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12719005#Comment_12719005) I have updated, too.
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    What you could try out is revert back to an earlier saved game - you can check out the following thread for more information:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I looked at the thread, but how do I know which file is corrupt when the saves all use the same time code?

Anyway, this is the error log I get after crashes while saving. Does this give anyone ideas on cause of crashes?

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 10/24/2014 1:54:58 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: GameTime
    Description:
    Faulting application name: TS4.exe, version: 1.0.797.20, time stamp: 0x54385e85
    Faulting module name: TS4.exe, version: 1.0.797.20, time stamp: 0x54385e85
    Exception code: 0x80000003
    Fault offset: 0x00cbf551
    Faulting process id: 0x484
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cfefb1bb6cec12
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4.exe
    Report Id: ddb39766-5ba6-11e4-979c-000a3a89afc0
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Unfortunately, Windows shows you the time when the file was renamed, so they all appear to be the same age save. Each time you go up a var number, you go back a save. So .save = current savegame, .var0 = save of the same game before that, .var1 = save before that, etc.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Alliecat1011Alliecat1011 Posts: 1 New Member
    Okay this problem is so frustrating, but I finally found a solution to avoid having to uninstall/reinstall the game. First, you have to open "my games" on origin. Then, you have to right click on the sims 4 game picture. Fineally, you have to click on "repair game". Hope this helped!!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Okay this problem is so frustrating, but I finally found a solution to avoid having to uninstall/reinstall the game. First, you have to open "my games" on origin. Then, you have to right click on the sims 4 game picture. Fineally, you have to click on "repair game". Hope this helped!!

It is good that your problem was fixed by repairing the game. :)