March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Living off the land challenge :)

kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
I love the early start in a sims life, you start from little or nothing and work your way up, but I tried several times in the sims 3 to live of only the land they grew to make money, but it was hard ;)

Now in the sims 4, I am trying out a new challenge.

I make a founder, it can be any sim you like, but an young adult would be best. She has to have the Nature aspiration ( I will probably change this later ) but the idea is to live from the land, so some aspirations dosen't suit this challenge. You will have to make money of what you grow, and sell it to make enough for the bills to pay.

I made a small house from the money you start with, tv, and pc isn't allowed ( still might change this later when I have done some more gamelay )
Big garden to grow crops, lots of big trees, the idea was to make a cozy, small cottage feel to the lot. I also bought a woodworking bench, sine this will be one of the ways to make some extra income. So far I think painting gives to much profit ( but this might change later )

You have to make it on your own in the beginning, you don't get to have a job. When you meet your spouse, and if they have a job they have to quit, and stay home and help out with the farm. I encurage to have many kids :) I was thinking atleast 3, but this is something I will let you guys decide yourself if you want to try it :)

If you give this challenge a try, let me know, if will change the rules as I get some more gameplay, so it will be easier to follow :)

Ok, here is some of the rules I have come up with;

- You must start with a founder you make yourself
- Must have nature aspiration, but after achieved them you can choose any aspiration you want, but not the ones that acquire you to have a job. ( I am thinking of making an exception of the master chef since it is so close related to growing good crops, so let me know what you think about that )
- Make a tiny house/cottage with a lagre garden, you can decorate with as many flowers and trees you want to
- only a sinlge bed
- buy a woodworking bench, since this will help with your income
- must be able to expand the bedroom with double bed before spouse can move in
- No painting, writing to make money ( I find it gives money to easy )
- Have 3 kids or more ( let me know what you think of this rule )
Post edited by kiwi84 on

Comments

• kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    This is my founder :)

10-06-14_10-41nbspPM_zpsb86916a1.png

10-06-14_10-35nbspPM_zpsdb7a7280.png

I gave her the bookworm trait, I think it suits her and hte lifestyle she has choosen

10-06-14_10-34nbspPM_zpsc28041fc.png
    Let me know what you think :)
  • MandyAmandyMandyAmandy Posts: 51 Member
    When I am done doing the asylum challenge I think I am going to give this one a try!
  • Nicarra60Nicarra60 Posts: 2,916 Member
    edited October 2014
    So is gardening (and later woodworking) the only allowable types of income?

If so, that could be tough but interesting.
    Post edited by Nicarra60 on
    My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)
  • KaleniyaKaleniya Posts: 168 Member
    I forgot all about this challenge which is one that I really love. I just started an ISBI challenge otherwise I'd be all over this
    2cdygqq.jpg

My ISBI forum thread; here
    Collecting is allowed too, since it is nessecary to achieve one of the nature aspirations.

So far I am having fun with this challenge, and with not having a job makes it easier to make a nice garden :)
  • SALTPASTILLENSALTPASTILLEN Posts: 2,639 Member
    For a real challenge, making your founder and spouse both have one of the family aspirations would make this harder - which some people would like.
    d3z9696camt4x0dfg.jpg
    That is a good idea :) I feel that having lots of kids will suit the challenge!
  • blufaery83blufaery83 Posts: 121 Member
    Love this! I'm definitely going to try it out! Thank you!
  • SALTPASTILLENSALTPASTILLEN Posts: 2,639 Member
    kiwi84 wrote: »
    That is a good idea :) I feel that having lots of kids will suit the challenge!

I do too, and having more sims will raise the bills faster, which in turn will make the living harder.
    d3z9696camt4x0dfg.jpg
  • KaleniyaKaleniya Posts: 168 Member
    I do like challenges where I have to have a minimum of x amount of kids mostly to keep me on track should I be lazy and want an easy out in a generation later down the road lol
    2cdygqq.jpg

My ISBI forum thread; here
  • CeresInayCeresInay Posts: 36 Member
    Great Challenge. I like challenges with humble beginnings and Gardening is one of my favorite skills.
    Thanks for the feedback :)
    I was thinking of making a house and upload it with the # name for the challenge, if anyone else wants to I would love to chck out your humble home/cottage you start out with :)
  • ReinaReina Posts: 58 Member
    I'm going for it! I have Sims 4 now and want to do a challenge and I too love the humble beginnings. I do find my starting Sim to have too much money and will use the money cheat to reduce it. It used to be a part of the original challenge that was made for TS3 so perhaps something to consider including in the challenge? Otherwise they don't really have to depend on the land to make it - they can just surf along on the cash that they already have and especially if they only make a tiny house to begin with.

I'm going to make a tiny, tiny place with minimum furniture and then remove the rest of the money lol. From there on I don't think I'll ever allow them to have technology. It makes more sense I think since it's a farming challenge :]

Anyway! Here's my founder; Elias Haas

wvnvvt.png

He has the nature aspiration and wants to become a successful fisherman. He loves the outdoors (which is the only 'easy' trait I will give him) as well as being hot headed and confident ;]

I plan on making a blog for him but not sure whether it will just be updates or an actual storyline sort of thing

I'm exciting and hope that more people will post challenges here that I can read
    Destined_logo.png
    Elias is a good looking sim :) Can't wait to read more about his adventures :)
  • ReinaReina Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks! I love reading stories like this so I hope you'll keep updating :]
    Destined_logo.png
    I will post updates, but right now I am waiing for my son to have any babies since I have the square jaw, small eyes bug in game, hoping for a patch to fix it soon!
  • Cookie4simsCookie4sims Posts: 149 Member
    Since Outdoor Retreat come out..I have decide to do this challenge....with all the outdoor items it should make for a really good game play. I live in a tent..garden and use the park bathroom and shower. Totally relay on nature.
    That sounds great :) I haven't gone back to the challenge after I had that bug, but now with the new game pack out, it would be a good time to try it out again :)
  • Sims4Junkie69Sims4Junkie69 Posts: 20 New Member
    making money with gardening won't be too hard. dragonfruit being the most profitable for time spent ($80 for 96 hours/ .83 per hour). if you have outdoor retreat installed, fireleaf is only marginally less profitable but with a much faster growing time ($13 for 18hours/ .72 per hour). given 10 for each growing session. you can make quite a bit if you have sufficient simpower to keep up with them. of course those are for perfect planets. the prices MAY be off a bit.
  • klaipiniklaipini Posts: 88 Member
    I think I will do this challenge when I finish one that I am doing now! It sounds fun!:)
  • xxEllaxxxxxEllaxxx Posts: 1 New Member
    hi I actually just finished the legacy (gave up :# ) so I will give this one a try
  • Stimpy313Stimpy313 Posts: 2 New Member
    Just Started this challenge its harder than you think
  • spookyHTMLspookyHTML Posts: 14 New Member
    Definitely doing this now!