Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

XML: "duration" in situation_walkby_RingDoorbell

pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
In both

situation_walkby_RingDoorbell_withRelationship_FBC3AEEB_00000000_0000000000008B8B and situation_walkby_RingDoorbell_Neighbor_FBC3AEEB_00000000_00000000000186D7

there is an attribute "duration" -- what is this the duration of? I can't find it in the tdesc so .. no idea whether it's undocumented, deprecated, or maybe wait_for_invitation_delay is deprecated instead. Because that's in the tdesc (along with a lot of "Deleted name" stuff) but not in the tuning.

Am I looking at the correct tdesc at all? (What I'm trying to achieve is make the stalkbys hang out on the porch for a little less than half a day when nobody opens the door.) -- I apparently am, because it works fine to plunk wait_for_invitation_delay in there and set it to something shorter.

I'm still puzzled as to what that "duration" is for. 1.0.732.20 here.

Edit: Answered! See below (velocitygrass).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<I c="WalkbyRingDoorBellSituation" i="situation" m="situations.ambient.walkby_ring_doorbell_situation" n="situation_walkby_RingDoorbell_withRelationship" s="35723">
  <T p="InGame\Audio\Bumper\bumper_event_start.propx" n="audio_sting_on_start">39b2aa4a:00000000:78b903461d47e4fc</T>
  <L n="can_start_walkby_limiting_tags">
    <E>Situation_Ring_Doorbell</E>
  </L>
  <T n="duration">0</T>
  <T p="InGame\Audio\Bumper\bumper_event_major_complete.propx" n="main_goal_audio_sting">39b2aa4a:00000000:10b476550150a33f</T>
  <L n="tags">
    <E>Situation_Ring_Doorbell</E>
  </L>
  <U n="walker_job">
    <T n="leave_state">24224<!--rolestate_leave_now--></T>
    <T n="mailbox_state">24828<!--walkby_visit_mailbox--></T>
    <T n="ring_doorbell_state">15920<!--walkby_ring_doorbell--></T>
    <T n="situation_job">40341<!--walker_job_RingDoorbell_withRelationship--></T>
    <T n="wait_for_invitation_state">15921<!--walkby_wait_for_invitation--></T>
  </U>
</I>
Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
Post edited by pbox on

Comments

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I am guessing it might be how long the doorbell sound rings for, as the line is sandwiched closely between lines referring to sounds.
  • velocitygrassvelocitygrass Posts: 103 Member
    It's in the Situation.tdesc (Situation is one of the parents of WalkbyRingDoorBellSituation):
    <Tunable name="duration" class="TunableSimMinute" type="float" default="60" display="Duration" filter="0" group="General" tuning_state="NeedsTuning" min="None" max="None" description="How long the situation will last in sim minutes. 0 means forever." />

• pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    edited October 2014
    Is there a doorbell sound? In my game they always just knock .. and I didn't notice a sound when I was playing around with this, either.
    Post edited by pbox on
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    edited October 2014
    @velocitygrass we crossposted -- thanks! Duh! Will remember to check the parent's tdescs too in the future. Anyhow, that explains why they were lurking forever .. more or less literally. I wonder why they did that. Probably so that when a sim walks up to them just to chat (without "Invite In") they won't leave right away.

The override I mentioned above is available here for those who want them to go away a little sooner (I added wait_for_invitation_delay = 20).

Edit: Also, there is now a tool that will probably make this a lot simpler.

Post edited by pbox on