Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Runaway Teen Challenge [Updated 03/10/19]

Comments

• DeDeplus3DeDeplus3 Posts: 199 Member
    Cool Challenge!
  • M0rg4nAM0rg4nA Posts: 5 New Member
    The link to the site isn't working anymore :( Love the challenge
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    M0rg4nA wrote: »
    The link to the site isn't working anymore :( Love the challenge

Yea, sorry. I just discovered this from a message about the Random Legacy rules too. I changed my domain. Here's the new link...

https://stormydayzgamez.wordpress.com/runaway-teen-challenge-rules-updated-22417/
  • JoleneJigsawJoleneJigsaw Posts: 1 New Member
    Since it being 2018, and the rules have been changed to include new expansion packs, I have decided to start a 'modern teen life' version. I started in an apartment, empty of course, and have her living off the festivles and flea market! I debated getting a job,and having her get fired from it but decided against it as that would add less difficulty making money.
  • fiyafiya Posts: 4 New Member
    say something is in reasonable walking distance, would it be ok to not take away 10 simoleons. like if its litteraly right across the street
    fiya wrote: »
    say something is in reasonable walking distance, would it be ok to not take away 10 simoleons. like if its litteraly right across the street

Technically, it's supposed to be every loading screen in Sims 4. But, in Sims 3 it was every time you used a taxi and you wouldn't have used a taxi for crossing the street for sure so I wouldn't worry about it. Like, if you're at the gym in Willow Creek and you go to the library next door only take out what you need to for going to that neighborhood in Willow Creek not for each individual lot. I hope that makes sense.
  • ViolentinesDayViolentinesDay Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't know if this addition has been suggested before but here we go:

- Start by making a family with the teen AND at least one adult
    - Place them in a house
    - Divide the household so the teen is on their own
    - Place the teen in an empty lot, preferably in another city than the parent
    - Do the challenge as normal, but now you also have to AVOID THE PARENT

I thought this might make it more challenging as well as realistic :p
    That sounds like fun. You could take screenshots with the parent nearby or in the background. Might even be a fun side challenge for an existing save.
  • IAmTanaijaLoveIAmTanaijaLove Posts: 3 New Member
    I just saw one on NayStoriess channel and I am in tears! Such a sad story!
  • SimChelySimChely Posts: 3 New Member
    I was a 17 year old out on my own so I am doing this challenge but with some exceptions. I used only base game clothes and only 3 outfits summer and activity were the same, formal and party were the same everyday and cold weather were the same. I basically had1 red tee shirt, one pair of ripped jeans, 1 pair of ripped shorts, a jacket, 1 plaid skirt and 1 nice top. I scavenged and lived on a small empty lot. When I got $5000 I moved into an apartment that was empty and used my money to do the bedroom bathroom and kitchen. I did use the cc in my game at this point so I was able to get things that you would find at any thrift store. This is what I did in real life. I am now working on getting $15000 so I can buy the lot and build and still have some money for bills. My sim I used for this was one that I revamped that I had made. Oops she had some skills and none came in handy except handiness and painting. I was not skill less when I was on my own. In fact my back story is that I at five had to start raising myself and my sister because mom was always inebriated, so I had many life skills, but none prepared me for being on my own with no money. My Sim's back story is she was abandoned as a baby, went to an orphanage and was set to several work camps at the age of 6 while there. This explains her skills. She turned 16 got tired of being a slave and being used for money that came into the orphanage. She was getting treated like crap and got nothing provided to her except her few clothes she left with. I will continue to follow most of the rules as long as they are true to life. This may seem strange to some but even with my exceptions this is still a difficult challenge. I just made it more believable. She does go to school and keep her grades up and this was done before the apartment. Just thought I would post what I am doing for the challenge.
    @SimChely Thanks for sharing! Your take on it is actually very close to what I'm doing myself at the moment! Although, since mine came from a good home I didn't bother with the clothing although that's exactly how I normally do it too! Right now he's camping out in some ruins until he saves up money and he'll get a junky apartment. I have no big plans for him as far as the nice house/job/family like the challenge is supposed to be since I'm doing the Black Widow challenge in the next generation with his child and the story is leading up to the reason they become money-hungry.
    On another note: Thank you for sharing your personal experience. You're a brave person indeed. Happy simming! Feel free to share more of your adventures. :)
  • SimChelySimChely Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you that was nice of you to respond. Well Noel has saved $40000 and is buying a lot in the spring as it is to cold in the winter to break ground. She has about two more weeks and she just aged up. She choose to stay in her crap $300 apartment so she could save more. I never knew how much she could save. She still scavenges and paints to make money. She now has a pc thanks to geekcon festival.
    Happy simming. I wish o has screen shots to share I will next time.
    Wow, she did great! Screenshots would be pretty cool. :D
    Oh and thanks for posting on here. I realized I totally forgot to copy and paste the new rules for the Get Famous pack into the first post. :#
  • pippinownerpippinowner Posts: 6 New Member
    It is not easy to get out of the irresponsible trait and back into the responsible trait. It's easy to get out of irresponsible but if you want the actual trait you have to send them to school or it's pretty impossible. I just tried it without sending to school but I"m going to try it with sending her to school because I agree with the people saying it would draw way more attention for her not going to school, truancy officers are a thing.
    It is not easy to get out of the irresponsible trait and back into the responsible trait. It's easy to get out of irresponsible but if you want the actual trait you have to send them to school or it's pretty impossible. I just tried it without sending to school but I"m going to try it with sending her to school because I agree with the people saying it would draw way more attention for her not going to school, truancy officers are a thing.

I have had a few of my friends manage to get the trait. Taking care of and training a dog is a great way. Carl's Guide has a whole list of ways you can get it. Gotta wait until they're really close to aging to YA though to even bother. If you want to send them to school you can. It's your game. I didn't in my current TS4 runaway. I have him homeless living in some ruins on the Windenburg island. He doesn't leave there until when school releases every day. Getting the irresponsible trait actually fits his personality and the story so I'm not even trying.

In my current TS3 runaway I sent him to school since he wants to get into uni but I usually have them homeschool in TS3 since you can do that with the nraas mod.
  • jasminesilkjasminesilk Posts: 6 New Member
    Thank you for posting this challenge with all the updates! I finished it a while back but am trying to figure out how to post my very own challenge that I came up with... unfortunately there seem to be some restrictions on here for "new members" and what they can and cannot do (which is dumb af imo but whatevs) and I am le sad. If anyone can help me out that would be grand. What are these "points" and how do I get them faster so I can post my own GD challenges lmao
    @jasminesilk Sorry, I'm not really sure how you get points? I think it's just by replying to people's posts? I keep all of my challenge rules on my blog. There is a thread here on the forums where they keep track of all of the different challenges. Your best bet would be to find a free blog site like WordPress or Blogger or Wix and write them up there and then request a link be added to that challenge thread.
    The following rule additions were made for StrangerVille:

StrangerVille: You may live in StrangerVille and complete the mystery and it’s aspiration. This would be really fun to have your teen living in a bunker! You are only allowed to speak with and befriend 1 scientist, 1 military personell, and 1 conspiracy theorist. Perhaps your teen can lie about their age.

StrangerVille: Bugs and their use are considered electronic devices thus requiring 1 kitchen 1 bath 1 bedroom first. Keep in mind the size doesn’t matter and the kitchen/bedroom can be one divided room.

As always I'd recommend reading the rules on my blog because they transfer horribly onto the original post here.

Runaway Teen Challenge Rules
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Hi @Rainydayz179 I've completed this challenge in the past with a female teen Sim, but decided I wanted to try it again with a male teen Sim after being inspired by Deligracy who is currently playing it too. It'll be especially fun now with all the packs that have been added, almost as if I'm playing it for the first time.

Anyway, the rules say you must deduct 10 simoleons every time your teen travels, except if it's a lot in the same neighborhood. For example; traveling to the gym, then going to the library next door would count as one trip, or if you visit a Sim on a lot in your neighborhood, your teen doesn't need to deduct anything.

I'm wondering if this rule would also apply to the hidden areas, such as Sylvan Glade. My teen lives on the lot between the magic tree and the Garden Essence (BFF) lots. Would he need to deduct 10 simoleons (or do the wall thing with arrows) every time he goes to Sylvan Glade? I'm guessing no since he wouldn't technically be needing transportation to 'travel' there, only run over from his lot and step inside the tree. Is that right? Just wanted clarification before I sent him there for the first time. I'm trying to do this strictly by the rules. Thanks! :)
    @Karababy52 The §10 is deducted for every loading screen you encounter. The term "neighborhood" refers to all of the areas surrounding your current lot. Such as a playground with chess tables, a picnic area, food booths, fishing... stuff like that. Where your teen lives and the surrounding area is a neighborhood. If you go to the gym all of the areas that can be accessed without a loading screen is a neighborhood. The library next door brings up a loading screen which is §10.

I'm not sure how Deligracy is doing it. I don't really watch Sims on YT. A lot of people just kinda do things how they want really. If you think it doesn't make sense to deduct the simoleans per loading screen then don't. The fee is just a way to make the challenge more difficult. Last time I played it I made tick marks on my notepad and just made him spend money on useless stuff like an ugly rug or one of those skeleton statues. Story-wise I said he just couldn't resist buying the goofy stuff at the pawn shop he went to.

As with all of the challenges I maintain, I feel it's more important to have fun than to follow rules to the letter. It's not a competition so why make yourself miserable doing something you don't like? ;)
    edited April 2019
    fiya wrote: »

Technically, it's supposed to be every loading screen in Sims 4. But, in Sims 3 it was every time you used a taxi and you wouldn't have used a taxi for crossing the street for sure so I wouldn't worry about it. Like, if you're at the gym in Willow Creek and you go to the library next door only take out what you need to for going to that neighborhood in Willow Creek not for each individual lot. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for answering my question, but it seems the opposite of a previous answer in the above quote. Since the magic tree to Sylvan Glade is in his neighborhood, shouldn't it be considered the same as 'crossing the street' in the same neighborhood? He wouldn't need to pay a taxi to get there. I understand and appreciate why the rule is in place, to make things harder and know I can play the challenge in whatever way is fun for me.

But I'm curious why using the magic tree to Sylvan Glade would incur the traveling fee, whereas if my Sim were to visit a neighbor next door or across the street, it wouldn't. They both involve a loading screen, so I'm confused as to why it's different. Paying the fee isn't a big deal, I'm just looking for the reasoning behind it. :)

Oh, and I think you misunderstood what I wrote about Deligracy. I wasn't referencing her gameplay for the challenge in relation to my question. Watching her playing it on YT just inspired me to play the challenge again, that's all. :)

Anyway, my challenge teen's name is Jerrad Windwalker aka Jerrad John. He uses Jerrad John whenever asked. I put Jerrad's backstory and challenge story so far in the spoiler because it's a bit long.

He has the Collector aspiration with Loves Outdoors and Loner as his traits. In my mind he lived in a free-spirited commune with his parents. During an incident there, the commune burned to the ground, his parents were killed along with other residents while some managed to escape with their lives and have been hiding from those responsible for the tragedy. Perhaps one day he'll encounter another teen from the commune and they will end up either a couple or just good friends living together. He keeps mostly to himself, so that might never happen. The only person he's talked to is another teen and the local food stall vendor.

He has tried to do a few things to hide his identity, including always wearing a long-sleeved top he swiped off a clothesline to cover a couple tattoos that could give him away and he also swiped a box of haircolor. The color has grown out a little now, along with his hair so he'll need to color it again soon. He's decided to keep the length for now though since it comes in handy to hide his face when around adults. He's currently trying to grow a beard and mustache too. But it's not going so well. lol Probably due in part to his Native American roots. His Father, Joel Windwalker, was full-blooded Cherokee.

Once children approached their teen years in the commune, they were expected to help contribute to the well-being of the community and were given a daily task to do in relation to their natural born talents to develop those skills for use later on in life. Jerrad worked in the commune garden every day since he was 12 and loves all things pertaining to nature.

He's started collecting seeds found around the neighborhood where he lives now and planted a few in season. There's a small food stall located in the community garden there, the owner of which has told him he'll buy any fish he catches, edible produce he finds or grows, and any flowers. The vendor also owns a small florist shop.

He'd always been fascinated with frogs and could often be found as a child trying to catch them in a pond on the commune grounds. Jerrad still loves them and looks for them whenever he sees a rotted log or a pond. He hasn't had much luck catching many, but he did manage to find two rare ones that he's breeding now. The food stall vendor mentioned off-hand he'd buy any frogs Jerrad found as well and he was especially delighted to find out about the rare frogs. Jerrad tries not to think too hard about what the guy is planning to do with all those frogs. o.O

Jerrad saw something shiny sticking out of a mound of dirt one day and dug up a beautiful crystal. A local male teen approached him as he was kneeling there admiring the gem's sparkle and flash of color. It startled him a little and he had to fight the urge to run away. But the teen, who he found out later was named Lucas Munch, seemed harmless and best of all offered to buy it from him. Lucas told him he collects them himself, along with his Mom. Jerrad figures they must be very wealthy since Lucas told him he'd buy anything Jerrad finds. How cool is that? Another way to make simoleons and he has a new friend to talk to now and then.

He's finally saved enough from collecting, gardening, fishing and frog breeding to build himself a little shack on a piece of land belonging to that same food stall vendor. The man told him he could live there and use the land however he sees fit. Jerrad doesn't know why this guy is being so nice to him, but he appreciates it and doesn't ask any questions. One day he hopes to save enough to actually buy the land from him so it will be truly his own.

That's where I am now in the challenge. Jerrad has 10 days left until he's a young adult. I tried very hard to think of ways to explain how he would somewhat realistically be able to sell things, I hope it worked. lol

I'll post some screenshots of Jerrad later tonight. I don't have any uploaded at the moment. Hope you're having a great day/afternoon/evening, whatever it may be where you are and thanks again! <3
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
    Here's my teen, Jerrad John, for the challenge. When I started the challenge, all his outfits were this one, except sleepwear he was barefoot. Now his sleepwear and swimwear is just his undies and hot weather wear is a different top and sandals. I forgot to take any pics of his little shack, but I can post some later if you'd like to see it?

Included a shot of his tattoos since you normally can't see them except in the shower or when he's sleeping. He keeps them covered otherwise, for now anyway. He'll be a lot braver with his wardrobe and not as paranoid about concealing his identity when he's a young adult.

I'm having a blast again with this challenge, it's always been one of my favorites. :)

rTZAb9j.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Interesting... I have no idea how I'm going to finish this...
    funny-gifs20.gif

edited April 2019
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    But I'm curious why using the magic tree to Sylvan Glade would incur the traveling fee, whereas if my Sim were to visit a neighbor next door or across the street, it wouldn't. They both involve a loading screen, so I'm confused as to why it's different. Paying the fee isn't a big deal, I'm just looking for the reasoning behind it. :)

Going to a house is a loading screen. Chilling at the picnic area in your local neighborhood doesn't. Fee for house no fee for the picnic area. Maybe I overexplained and made it more confusing I tend to do that, sorry. Sounds like Jerrad is doing great!

Edit: I now see the quote you're referring to. I'm actually confused I wrote that since it's not what it says on the rules.
    Interesting... I have no idea how I'm going to finish this...

Good luck!