Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any Ideas as to Why This is Happening??? kj

kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
I am trying to place a door in the sunk in entry way to a building. When I place it, it becomes a dark hole. The door is there, but you can not see it.
Placed
dmxnp5.jpg
This is the door I am trying to place but all 3 panel doors do the same thing
vscajm.jpg
Placed
dmxnp5.jpg

Any Ideas????

kim :(
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• gypsygypsy Posts: 48 Member
    I find that when build mode is doing weird things, it sometimes fixes it by taking the sledgehammer tool to that area and then using the undo button. It worked for me when my roof suddenly disappeared for some reason :\
    I'm Clementine. Can I... borrow a piece of your chicken?
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    I will try.

Thank You @🐸🐸🐸🐸

kim :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    I had the same problem Kim! You have to put the wall with the door further away from the stairs! Not too much! Just to make sure you can see the placed door. That's how I solved the problem. Also sometimes in the live mode the door disappears when you see it afar but when you get a close-up then you can see the door again. I think this is a glitch! Hope you can fix your problem. Hugs
    Hi @yanti68/ When I started it was 3 away from the stair tile. Any more than that and it would be a hallway! The only time you can see it is if you are actually on that level with walls up. It you level up like you would to take a pic of the whole build......gone. In close or far away. I am getting extremely frustrated with this thing!!! If I remove the wall on either side, it shows. Of course that is not the design I want. Geesh, the sims may be smarter but obviously I am not!!!

Thanks yanti!!

Abraham Lincoln

• ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    I have had it happen with windows...mostly on "complicated" builds so I assumed it was something to do with the collision of walls and roofing or something...but I havent been able to pin point exactly what causes it.

We probably need to show this to the build gurus. :(
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    This happened to me as well and it is very frustrating!
    However, I was able to fix it in the end :) You just have to make
    sure that the stairs are further away from the door. The green tiles that showes the direction
    of the stairs (or any object for that matter) has to be at least two steps away from the doors.

I hope that makes sense. It works for me anways :)
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    The door doesn't render as the rendering engine thinks it's inside the building. The reason the engine thinks this is the 'room' you have in front of it, at least that's what I can make of it. I got this solved in my latest build by removing the room above first, then placed the door and then add the room again, or I think that solved it as later on at the back of my build, I was able to do it right away....
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    I am having this issue as well on a single window upstairs for a build I am doing for a contest. Also, this window is nowhere near any stairs.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
    I have had it happen with windows...mostly on "complicated" builds so I assumed it was something to do with the collision of walls and roofing or something...but I havent been able to pin point exactly what causes it.

We probably need to show this to the build gurus. :(

I have tried moving the door backward, like I said I started 3 blocks away from the stair tile. Still no door showing. If I remove move the walls on either side, the door shows. I tried removing the small overhang room on the next level and still no door showed. The only roof I had was a small one on the over hang on the third floor, but that I added well after I had the issue with the door?

Thank You @ruthless_kk

Abraham Lincoln

Manssom wrote: »
    sure that the stairs are further away from the door. The green tiles that showes the direction
    of the stairs (or any object for that matter) has to be at least two steps away from the doors.

Hi @Manssom,

I know the pics show the door close to the door, but when I started it was three tiles away from the stair tile. I had tried moving the was/door forward and backward trying to find a way to get the door to appear. I took the pics when it was closer to the stairs.

Thank You for trying to help!!!!

Abraham Lincoln

The door doesn't render as the rendering engine thinks it's inside the building. The reason the engine thinks this is the 'room' you have in front of it, at least that's what I can make of it. I got this solved in my latest build by removing the room above first, then placed the door and then add the room again, or I think that solved it as later on at the back of my build, I was able to do it right away....

@DieterPrivate

Are you talking about the overhang type room or the whole 2nd floor? I did try removing the overhang area and that did not work????

Thank You for your help!!!

Abraham Lincoln

Tiki5872 wrote: »
    I am having this issue as well on a single window upstairs for a build I am doing for a contest. Also, this window is nowhere near any stairs.

@Tiki5872;12768312
    Well my theory is if Ruthless does not know, then I most certainly will not be figuring it out any time soon. Hopefully one of the Build Guru's will discover the answer?

Heres to hoping for an answer!!

Abraham Lincoln

I find that when build mode is doing weird things, it sometimes fixes it by taking the sledgehammer tool to that area and then using the undo button. It worked for me when my roof suddenly disappeared for some reason :\

Hi @🐸🐸🐸🐸;12762636

I like your idea! I am ready to sledge hammer the whole darn thing!!!1

Thanks for the info!!

Abraham Lincoln

• yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited September 2014
    I hope the sledge hammer does the trick Kim! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Good luck! :)
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Just chiming in to say I also experienced this issue with 3 tile doors as well. It's been a while now, but I think I determined that it was the overhang preventing mine from showing. I wound up going in a different direction with the build, but it was definitely frustrating, and I hope it gets fixed!
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    Manssom wrote: »

Hi @Manssom,

I know the pics show the door close to the door, but when I started it was three tiles away from the stair tile. I had tried moving the was/door forward and backward trying to find a way to get the door to appear. I took the pics when it was closer to the stairs.

Thank You for trying to help!!!!

Oh ok. Well I am keeping my fingers crossed for ya. There seems to be more than
    just one fix but I am really hoping EA can fix it permanently in the next patch! :)