Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mastering Skills young...?

Has anyone's Sim mastered a skill whilst younger than Young Adult/Adult?
My Fairy teen went to China on holiday, learnt the basics of the Martial Arts skill. Then purchased a board breaker. At home, with the help of the Body and Mind aura, she practised a lot of board breaking, and just mastered the Martial Arts skill! She originally wanted to be a One Sim Band (as she played lots of instruments too she got the wish early), but now it's changed to Physical Perfection, and she's already level 5 in Athletic (thanks mostly to the Martial Arts skill).
I now plan for her to break lots of space rocks, get loads of gems, and maybe find some tiberium and sell it...

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I have had plenty of sims master Athletics and Charisma while still teens and a few exceptional geniuses have mastered Logic. The other skills, none that I can think of offhand...maybe one got that far with Gardening, but they lived on and helped work a large farm so that made sense. I play a pretty long teen cycle compared to many, though, and it's probably a bit too long even for my sims' life span.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Yes. For me it all starts with the toddlers. I have the toddlers read every skill book in the bookstore, this way when they age up to teens they already have a level 3 start with some things such as guitar and painting (there are others, just can't remember them all right now). I also have them play with the peg toy, music toy, block table and play with the Teddy bear. I know the bear raises their social need but I am unsure if it has any long term benefit.

As a Child, I have them max out the Logic Skill. Maxing out the cooking skill on the toy stove gives them a level boost when they become teens. The turtle block toy that the toddlers and children play with will give a teen a level boost in handiness. I also have children begin to refine their writing, fishing and playing chess against other Sims - It helps with the Chess Tournament.

As Teens, I have them level all the way up with Athletics, Cooking, Painting, Writing, Fishing, Gardening and Handiness (as it relates to their lifetime wishes). If a teens lifetime wish is to become something like an illustrious author (level 10 writing & painting), their lifetime wish is accomplished before they become a young adult.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Oh, I forgot about Painting. My dedicated and talented teen artists usually make Level 10 just around the time they are due to graduate HS.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Sophia666Sophia666 Posts: 427 Member
    I too start at toddler and get the kids every boost that there is available. Then same at child and start them on things like logic, painting and writing. When they hit teen I start with something like athletic and continue to max the others and then tend to pick a couple of the others like handiness and fishing depending on their traits, what I'm doing with them and just how I feel at the moment in time! :P
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got a sim in the game I played earlier that will likely master most skills as a kid before they get to the young adult stage because they've still got about 60 days left as a toddler and will have 360 days as a child and 180 days in the teen stage before aging up.She's Sandi Campbell and lives in Winfield in my main town legacy challenge game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    I once had a Child Sim that mastered the Fishing skill because I took the family on a vacation and all the kid did was fish.

Like the other posters said, I generally start skilling as a Toddler with the peg-box, xylophone and children's books. The peg-box gives the Logic skill, the xylophone gives the Guitar skill (or all instrument skills if you have Late Night), the 3 math books grant Logic (and if read in addition to using the peg-box give an extra Logic point), the art books give Painting and the Bluish Eggs series gives Writing. The only books that do NOT give skills are the Jimmy Sprocket series. Toddlers can only get the first 3 skill points of each skill this way - except they can get 4 Logic if they use both the peg-box and the books.

Then, when they become Children, use the Toy Oven to get Cooking and the Building Block Table to get Handiness (but only up to 3 again). Children can continue to learn Painting using the Easel, Writing using the Computer and Logic using the Chessboard and Telescope, but can't learn music skills until they are Teens. Children can also fish and can take most classes that are available to adults. If you have a Teen or older Sim who has maxed out the Logic skill they can tutor Child-Sims in any skill that they have mastered, but it takes a lot of time. Otherwise a Sim needs to be a Teen in order to start to learn Charisma or Gardening.
  • Options
    neutralsideneutralside Posts: 34 Member
    No, none of my sim kids have ever reached the top of a skill. I normally give the toddler-teen stage about thirty days, and they spend most of their time watching the TV. I'm a terrible parent.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    No, none of my sim kids have ever reached the top of a skill. I normally give the toddler-teen stage about thirty days, and they spend most of their time watching the TV. I'm a terrible parent.

But if you have the expensive TV they can watch the Cooking, Gardening or Fishing channel and skill up (slowly) while they watch!

• Options
    tessabemetessabeme Posts: 226 Member
    I had a child master painting, he was basically supporting the family financially
    Follow me on Tumblr
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2014
    All my sim-children work at their skills, especially The Chosen One (the next heir;-)).
    They start when they are toddlers by reading books and play with the carillon and bricks.
    But only my current sim who was born a vampire managed to reach the top (in various skills) before he got YA.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    VRStevensonVRStevenson Posts: 4,396 Member
    I've had a few teens max a skill, usually with the help of a parent or grandparent tutoring them.
  • Options
    XxEliteTurtlesxXXxEliteTurtlesxX Posts: 1 New Member
    My current household has three children - one of which has the Illustratious Author wish. She has already mastered the writing skill and is level 6 in painting (although I do make my sims have long lives).
    Her twin brother is also quite high in the logic skill, I am for him to become a scientist.
    Their younger brother is pretty useless!
  • Options
    VRStevensonVRStevenson Posts: 4,396 Member
    Their younger brother is pretty useless!

haha poor little guy! XD