Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Linking an object .xml file to an interaction .xml file

Snaitf0Snaitf0 Posts: 53 Member
Ok, here's the situation:

I am trying to create a clone of an object, so I can make it behave differently than the original, WITHOUT overriding the original.
So far, I can create the clone object by creating duplicate OBJD and COBJ files, giving them new instance id's, and changing the grouping so it shows in the catalog as a new object, instead of as a swatch under the original.
Then I copy the object .xml file it uses, giving it a new instance, and referencing that by editing the OBJD file.

So far, so good. I have a new object, which uses my new .xml file, which I can edit to change the objects behavior without altering the original objects behavior. Exactly what I wanted.

The problem is, there is also some stuff I want to change in the interaction .xml file that the object uses. The only reference i see between the two .xml files is in the object .xml file it says (T n="enabled")#####(/T) and in the interaction file, at the top s="#####".
So I tried copying the interaction file, giving it a new instance, and changing the 2 #####'s to something unique.
This, unfortunately, didn't work. The new object behaves in such a way that I don't think it's finding the interaction .xml at all.

So, again, my question is: How do I get the object .xml to recoginize the new interaction .xml?

Comments

• Snaitf0Snaitf0 Posts: 53 Member
    Nevermind, I figured it out! I was completely unaware that the ##### had to be a decimal representation of the .xml instance id number. It's working, and I can now change my object's interaction behaviors without altering the original object's.