Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My two light skinned sims just had a dark skinned son

LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
I'm seriously confused as to how this happened?

Just witnessed my sim's girlfriend give birth and aged the baby up straight away (cause babies = boring) and uhm, yeah he is dark. I checked the boy's friends list to see if my light skinned sim was the father and yep sure enough he was.

I didn't edit him in cas either.

Would it be "wrong" of me to change his skin colour to that of his parents? Should I leave him the way he is?
gifv6te.jpg

Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
Post edited by LovelyMelody on

Comments

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    It's your family. If you think it's too weird, change him. Those are some strange genetics, though, but not impossible.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    It's your family. If you think it's too weird, change him. Those are some strange genetics, though, but not impossible.

What about the grandparents?
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Hmm. Were the parents your own creations? If not, perhaps they are carrying some genes that weren't automatically noticeable.

He's your Sim, in your game; if you feel more comfortable editing him, no one has any business telling you not to do so. In TS1 the kids didn't always match the parents, and it really made me crazy when there was a non-matching kid.
  • Options
    claritysfclaritysf Posts: 384 Member
    haha! That's funny. My friend had that happen in real life. It turns out her husbands great grandfather was Samoan and They both didn't know that until they did some digging into the family tree.

Besides the skin tone, Does your Sim son have the same features as the Sim parents?
    tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    I've had this happen a lot with skin color and hair color. It makes me wonder what the game decides to give the children when they have no grandparents. If you make a sim as a YA in CAS and then they produce children, they technically have no parents. So how does the game just produce random genetics?
  • Options
    If any grandparent had darker skin, I actually appreciate the game having ancestors matter genetically.
  • Options
    The father has grandparents, who were both white and created in CAS (I randomized two elders and threw them in with Nikolai - someone else's creation). The mother's mother is white too. The child does not have their eye colour.
  • Options
    The father has grandparents, who were both white and created in CAS (I randomized two elders and threw them in with Nikolai - someone else's creation). The mother's mother is white too. The child does not have their eye colour.

This seems like a glitch, then.
  • Options
    3LiJyqg.jpg

proof I didn't mess with the child just incase anyone was thinking it. He is the darker one in the blue crib his sister is in the pink crib.
  • Options
    pguida wrote: »

This seems like a glitch, then.
    Must be
  • Options
    beaniesweeniesbeaniesweenies Posts: 4 New Member
    I've had this happen but they tend to look more similar in skin tone when they age up. If you don't edit him you could wait and see if he resembles his parents more when he becomes a teen.
  • Options
    RockoutDarciRockoutDarci Posts: 3,092 Member
    LEAVE IT! OMG! That's so cool! I'd be super excited to get a unique baby like that in a family! This kind of stuff happens in real life sometimes too. I mean, play it how you want to, it's just a game, but I love that he's so unique within the family and that's probably a rare occurrence.

Also, does anyone know how genetics work in this game? Most of my babies are ending up looking nothing like their parents.
    Love Like A Snail: An Inter.s.e.x. Story.
    thefoxsims.weebly.com/
    3825869_orig.png
  • Options
    LEAVE IT! OMG! That's so cool! I'd be super excited to get a unique baby like that in a family! This kind of stuff happens in real life sometimes too. I mean, play it how you want to, it's just a game, but I love that he's so unique within the family and that's probably a rare occurrence.

Also, does anyone know how genetics work in this game? Most of my babies are ending up looking nothing like their parents.

All babies look the same in game, but from child on you should start seeing the resemblance.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member

Don't know exactly. All I can say is that my two boys born in-game definitely have their mother's eyes. I keep looking for some feature of their father's -- he has a very prominent nose, which I was hoping someone would inherit -- but maybe when they become adults I will see some trace of him in them.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I would say for right now leave it. When he ages up, the skintone might change, it might not ... if he gets to adulthood and you want a same color as mom/dad, go in and change it then.

I like it when stuff like that happens myself.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Someone has some explaining to dooooo

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Options
    I'm keeping my special baby the way he is X)
  • Options
    seVenpeaceloVeseVenpeaceloVe Posts: 501 Member
    so in real life would you be as concerned if your son came out darker than your other kids? would you still love him?
    if the answer is yes, accepting him unconditionally in a game shouldnt be a choice to make.
    if the answer is no.......
    free the sims!
    http://youtu.be/Bj7wOfUwHlo <<sims 2 dane cook creepy work guy. hilarious!
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    If it were me, I'd keep him the way he is. I like to just roll with whatever the game gives me. More fun for me that way. But it's your game so do what pleases you.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    I hope it is some kind of genetics thing and not a glitch. That would be really cool. Nice sims by the way!
  • Options
    Is it just me or is my first pic missing? Anyway yeah I decided not to change him and let him live as he was meant to :P I looked at my sim's entire family and they are all blonde ish with hazel or green eyes and he has neither of those. I also suspect that he will have some interesting babies of his own when he grows up thinking of the genes that may get passed on :D
  • Options
    sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited September 2014
    It does happen. Genetics are freaking cool the way they work.

This is a set of real-life, natural (meaning no donor eggs, swimmers or ivf) twins we studied in my bio-anthropology class:
    black-white-twins3_zps40d0b69e.jpg
    Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush

• Options
    sarahzsmyl wrote: »
    It does happen. Genetics are freaking cool the way they work.

This is a set of real-life, natural (meaning no donor eggs, swimmers or ivf) twins we studied in my bio-anthropology class:
    black-white-twins3_zps40d0b69e.jpg

that is amazing!