Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help Building Using a Pseudo Basement: One Bug and One Design Problem

(Trying this in the General forum as I got nothing in the Lots forum.)

As we don't have proper basements, I had this "great" idea. I'd put the main entrance of my house on the second floor and have the bottom floor be a basement of sorts. (This build is supposed to be a Regency period upper class country house, so servants and kitchens should be in the basement.) I've encountered two problems and am wondering if anyone has any workarounds or ideas before I give up on this entirely.

1) Every time I enter build mode, it changes the set front door to the back door that is on the basement/first floor. I have to set the actual front door (on the front of the second floor) back.

2) The kitchen is in the basement with a staircase up to a hall right outside the dining room. Only one of my Sims has ever voluntarily walked up the stairs to eat at the table. Usually, they will stand in the kitchen and eat. (I took out the seating in there but it didn't help.) Is there something I can do, short of moving kitchen and dining room to same floor, to coax them into sitting down at the darned table without direct intervention?
The Geek Shall Inherit: The Merrigan Family Legacy Challenge -- Visit us on Tumblr.
Origin ID: Tairgire