Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What I don't get about reviews of TS4

Comments

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    People dislike the vision these devs had for this series.....it went way off from the last series. But 3 went way off from the one before it too. I'm glad they are bringing it back to what it's supposed to be.

I happen to like that they went back to roots. Now to phase out the idea of advancement. And just let the sims be sims. Completely. They can if they want, but it's not the role of the game to decide. That's for the gamer to decide.

Actually, I disagree. It's up to the company who makes the game to make the game as entertaining as possible to fit various styles of gameplay, not just one. You are now making the mistake of blaming the gamer, rather than the game for their dissatisfaction. The truth is that players expected the same quality of gameplay that they got from the other iterations of The Sims. Maybe they could live with limited venues if there were a greater variety of venues, with both towns having completely different venues from each other. And while they have improved on some aspects of the game, it's quite obvious that the game wasn't originally intended to be family oriented, but was geared mostly towards young adults. I agree with those who say that they feel The Sims 4 was originally designed to be an online game. Having played The Sims Online, there are certain aspects that remind me of that game. There's no reason why all life stages couldn't be included in the game; after all, they added babies (probably at the last minute) children, teens and elders. And while they promised all life stages would be included (in the beginning) they changed their mind. For those who love generational gameplay this can be a turn-off. Sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that "If the gamer doesn't like it, it's the gamer's fault, not EA's". It's a dismissive attitude to have. It's good that you like the game the way it is, but even I have to admit that it could have been better.

I shudder at the thought of an online game. I hate playing with other people. The day they do that, I'll be just as unhappy as those who are unhappy now.

when they do that I just won't buy and you will not see me out here, because I will then buy something I like and be playing it.

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    bamcam30 wrote: »
    People dislike the vision these devs had for this series.....it went way off from the last series. But 3 went way off from the one before it too. I'm glad they are bringing it back to what it's supposed to be.

I happen to like that they went back to roots. Now to phase out the idea of advancement. And just let the sims be sims. Completely. They can if they want, but it's not the role of the game to decide. That's for the gamer to decide.

So.....you're okay with the fact that the game went back to basics, despite being a new entry in the series? Cause new entries well um....should advance

Are you implying that this isn't an advance from 1? Or 2? Or even 3?

There's an old saying...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the sims has never been broke.

That said, being about the sims was never broke, so 3 really broke the mold by making it about the world. It wasn't necessary.

Ugh -_- you're
    tumblr_lkygchBzmt1qbkntgo1_500.gif

Scroll down the main page to find the forum suited to you.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    I just buy the game and make my own decision if it's worth playing or not. If it's a game I'm not sure about then I'm patient; it'll be on sale on Steam or somewhere in a few months. The lifespan of a game is very short... and the price drops precipitously.

Yup, still checking origin every week to see when sales for Sims 4 hit. I'll get it. Just not at the price they're asking for right now.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

Actually, I disagree. It's up to the company who makes the game to make the game as entertaining as possible to fit various styles of gameplay, not just one. You are now making the mistake of blaming the gamer, rather than the game for their dissatisfaction. The truth is that players expected the same quality of gameplay that they got from the other iterations of The Sims. Maybe they could live with limited venues if there were a greater variety of venues, with both towns having completely different venues from each other. And while they have improved on some aspects of the game, it's quite obvious that the game wasn't originally intended to be family oriented, but was geared mostly towards young adults. I agree with those who say that they feel The Sims 4 was originally designed to be an online game. Having played The Sims Online, there are certain aspects that remind me of that game. There's no reason why all life stages couldn't be included in the game; after all, they added babies (probably at the last minute) children, teens and elders. And while they promised all life stages would be included (in the beginning) they changed their mind. For those who love generational gameplay this can be a turn-off. Sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that "If the gamer doesn't like it, it's the gamer's fault, not EA's". It's a dismissive attitude to have. It's good that you like the game the way it is, but even I have to admit that it could have been better.

I shudder at the thought of an online game. I hate playing with other people. The day they do that, I'll be just as unhappy as those who are unhappy now.

when they do that I just won't buy and you will not see me out here, because I will then buy something I like and be playing it.

I'll be one of the pathetic ones who continues to play Sims 2 with tears streaming down my cheeks because it will be the only one left that didn't rely on connectiviy. :(

It will also be on a really old machine by then.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Completely, but that doesn't mean I need to TELL them how to make MY perfect game.

Really? Because a TRUE fan would! The SimGurus WANT you to tell them how to make your perfect game:

SimGuruGrant:

Hi Simmers -
    Now that The Sims 4 is live, me and other Gurus are more able to discuss the game openly.
    We know you guys have some things you love, some things you hate, some bugs, some missing features, and stories you want to share.

In order to be more responsive, I'm going to try an experiment. From 9-10 PST every day,
    I want to use THIS THREAD to let you ask me questions. I'll do my best to answer things,
    take notes for issues, and generally be an advocate for you. How's that sound?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/779362/ask-a-simguru-morning-chat-please-read-last-post/p1

and

SimGuruHydra:

For Simmers who are playing TS4 - we invite you to share your feedback in this sticky.

•What you liked
    •What you didn't like
    •Suggestions?
    •Overall thoughts?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776344/the-sims-4-feedback-thread-come-share-yours#latest

Sooooo...those who want to "discuss the game openly", "sharing some things they love or hate", or "bugs or some missing features"
    ARE doing what the SimGurus WANT them to do.

Next time someone says "if you cant say anything good about Sims4, just leave". point them to those 2 SimGuru threads and then we shall see who is a real sims fan.

:)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited September 2014
    SimChic1 wrote: »
    Every thing on the internet has one thing...... trolls. Shall I provide a example? The Sims fourms on a daily basis, so these review places have their trolls.
    Or people are just really dissatisfied with the game...

You guys do realize that not every game will be overwhelmingly successful, right?

Do you realize that this game is NOT worth a zero.
    To you maybe. Quick question. If a milk company only provides spoiled milk, what would you rate them on a scale of 0-10?

That is like comparing apples to oranges. Milk is either spoiled or not, there is no opinion that spoiled milk tastes good, this is a video game and there is a general taste for it. There is no 0 or 10 rating for this game, it is a inbetween thing. But it is known by people who actually have played that this game is not worth zero.
    Well maybe to people who thinks it's worth a zero view it as the spoiled milk of the series :wink:

Why can't people be extremely unsatisfied with the game? To people it's worth a ten, to others it's a zero. If you like it, good for you you're allowed to state your opinion but don't say that people have played it aren't allowed to say it's worth a zero. Maybe to them it truly is. And guess what, it can be because that's their opinion and an opinion is just that, what you think about it.

I believe that a 10 or a 0 are both too extreme to rate something, there is just not enough reasoning to equate a video game to the level of a coaster, the game is worth more than that.
    You believe the game is worth more than that? Guess what that's your opinion. What I've been trying to get at was that your opinion isn't a fact, neither is mine or anyone elses. So if someone thinks the game is worth a zero, let them be, it's a zero to them. If they believe it's a ten, let them be, it's a ten to them.
  • Jazzy6897Jazzy6897 Posts: 337 Member
    Jazzy6897 wrote: »
    Because hating on a product of EA is cool.

Most of the reviews on those sites aren't even fair. It's just a bunch of people putting hate on the game. They have no reasoning whatsoever. It's basically just "This game is terrible!" without a why it's terrible. It's just coming from hate.
    #GoesBothWays

True it can go both ways.

I've seen people who just love the game, which is fine, but they'll jump on anyone who says something negative about it. Plus, they don't really have any valid reasoning either. It's basically just "I LOVE The Sims 4!" without a why they love it.

Do we really need to say why, though? We're not the ones who are upset.

The way I see it, yes.

If the people who hate the game have to give a reason why they hate it, I feel the people who love the game have to give are reason as well.

Person who hates it: "THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE! IT'S A PIECE OF PLUM! I RATE IT ZERO! THIS IS GARBAGE!"

Person who loves it: "THIS GAME IS AMAZING! IT'S PERFECT! I RATE A TEN! IT'S THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD!"

The people who hate it will jump on someone who says something positive about the game, and the people who love it will jump on someone who says something negative about the game.

Origin ID: Jazzy6897 Happy Simming! :)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Well that's nice that you think my comments are "hollow".
    I'm sorry but yes, this one is in my opinion. Sims 3 isn't about the sims themselves because it has open world?
    Why?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    Why can't people be extremely unsatisfied with the game? To people it's worth a ten, to others it's a zero. If you like it, good for you you're allowed to state your opinion but don't say that people have played it aren't allowed to say it's worth a zero. Maybe to them it truly is. And guess what, it can be because that's their opinion and an opinion is just that, what you think about it.

People can be very unsatisfied with the game, but people who give it the absolute lowest score (as well as those who give it the absolute highest) are being deceptive, and they know it.

The Sims 4, for all its faults, is not as bad as the worst games ever. It's just not, even if someone thinks it doesn't live up to its predecessors. By the same token, it's also, clearly, not one of the best games ever, at least not as it stands right now.

I see a lot of people trying to justify these kinds of dishonest reviews, but the truth is that most extreme reviews (on both ends) are lies. Trolling, fanboyism, delusion -- the reason doesn't matter, because the result is the same: They make user reviews almost completely useless as a way to judge whether a game is worth playing or not, because people are too invested in their own personal opinion to take the time to be truthful.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Completely, but that doesn't mean I need to TELL them how to make MY perfect game.

Really? Because a TRUE fan would! The SimGurus WANT you to tell them how to make your perfect game:

SimGuruGrant:

Hi Simmers -
    Now that The Sims 4 is live, me and other Gurus are more able to discuss the game openly.
    We know you guys have some things you love, some things you hate, some bugs, some missing features, and stories you want to share.

In order to be more responsive, I'm going to try an experiment. From 9-10 PST every day,
    I want to use THIS THREAD to let you ask me questions. I'll do my best to answer things,
    take notes for issues, and generally be an advocate for you. How's that sound?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/779362/ask-a-simguru-morning-chat-please-read-last-post/p1

and

SimGuruHydra:

For Simmers who are playing TS4 - we invite you to share your feedback in this sticky.

•What you liked
    •What you didn't like
    •Suggestions?
    •Overall thoughts?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776344/the-sims-4-feedback-thread-come-share-yours#latest

Sooooo...those who want to "discuss the game openly", "sharing some things they love or hate", or "bugs or some missing features"
    ARE doing what the SimGurus WANT them to do.

Next time someone says "if you cant say anything good about Sims4, just leave". point them to those 2 SimGuru threads and then we shall see who is a real sims fan.

:)

What I mean, is MY perfect game. And we all have ideas on what our perfect game will/would be.

Okay. I will go and tell them that I do NOT want to see this be about appeasing TS3 players for CASt and open world. I do not want a buggy/laggy game to appease a few thousand simmers. I actually want to see the direction the devs had in mind. I don't want what they know is available and operational to change because they are told no. Do it this way. I need my CASt back....or no. You are wrong...I need open world back. I wanted to see where this sims series would go.

If it goes back to 3....then what is the point in buying it? I already have everything of 3.
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Trick wrote: »

People can be very unsatisfied with the game, but people who give it the absolute lowest score (as well as those who give it the absolute highest) are being deceptive, and they know it.

The Sims 4, for all its faults, is not as bad as the worst games ever. It's just not, even if someone thinks it doesn't live up to its predecessors. By the same token, it's also, clearly, not one of the best games ever, at least not as it stands right now.

I see a lot of people trying to justify these kinds of dishonest reviews, but the truth is that most extreme reviews (on both ends) are lies. Trolling, fanboyism, delusion -- the reason doesn't matter, because the result is the same: They make user reviews almost completely useless as a way to judge whether a game is worth playing or not, because people are too invested in their own personal opinion to take the time to be truthful.
    Who has the right to say something isn't or is the worst game ever? It's all a matter of opinion. There are games I would review as 10/10 and games I would rate 0/10. Why? Because the 10/10 game was exactly what I wanted and delivered and the 0/10 was just a complete mess with no redeeming features. Anything else in it I was able to find in other games. So in all essence it was just the same game. That's not an improvement. I wanted something new. If you're going to charge me x amount of dollars for the same features as another game that came out before, that other game deserves the higher review and my money.
  • bamcam30bamcam30 Posts: 1,301 Member

So.....you're okay with the fact that the game went back to basics, despite being a new entry in the series? Cause new entries well um....should advance

There's an old saying...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the sims has never been broke.

That said, being about the sims was never broke, so 3 really broke the mold by making it about the world. It wasn't necessary.

Ugh -_- you're

Oh how I wish there was a disagree button right now :p
  • Jazzy6897Jazzy6897 Posts: 337 Member
    Trick wrote: »

^^^This^^^

Origin ID: Jazzy6897 Happy Simming! :)
    edited September 2014
    Because hating on a product of EA is cool.

Most of the reviews on those sites aren't even fair. It's just a bunch of people putting hate on the game. They have no reasoning whatsoever. It's basically just "This game is terrible!" without a why it's terrible. It's just coming from hate.
    #GoesBothWays

True it can go both ways.

I've seen people who just love the game, which is fine, but they'll jump on anyone who says something negative about it. Plus, they don't really have any valid reasoning either. It's basically just "I LOVE The Sims 4!" without a why they love it.

Do we really need to say why, though? We're not the ones who are upset.

The way I see it, yes.

If the people who hate the game have to give a reason why they hate it, I feel the people who love the game have to give are reason as well.

Person who hates it: "THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE! IT'S A PIECE OF PLUM! I RATE IT ZERO! THIS IS GARBAGE!"

Person who loves it: "THIS GAME IS AMAZING! IT'S PERFECT! I RATE A TEN! IT'S THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD!"

The people who hate it will jump on someone who says something positive about the game, and the people who love it will jump on someone who says something negative about the game.

The thing is, we're not the ones who keep repeating why we like it. After we see so many people repeating why they hate it, we can't help but respond with one sentence. Not all of us like repeating ourselves, and those that do make things old real fast.

We get it. You don't like the game, and we know all the reasons why. Some of us felt the same about S3. Would you appreciate it if I were on the S3 forum at the beginning continuosly raging about why I hated it? Granted, I shared in the threads in TS2 where others felt the same, and worse, many of the S3 players continusously came to the S2 forum with threads telling us we didn't know what a good game was and that we should move onto TS3, etc... etc... I can't even be bothered going into the list of it.

It left me feeling like the TS3 community is the most aggressive Sims community since the beginning of the series. I don't get it.

ETA: and I don't feel sorry for any of you.

Ugh -_- you're

nananana.gif

Some of us felt the same about S
    Would you appreciate it if I were on the S3 forum at the beginning continuosly raging about why I hated it? .

there already IS that going on:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/788697/i-feel-so-sorry-for-people-who-play-ts3#latest

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited September 2014
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate - while this game is not a 0, it's also not a 10 and those types of scores are just as harmful no matter the "intent" of the poster.

The people who are on the bandwagon for the sake of being there fade away in time - the true fans, whether they are happy/upset will stick around and keep pushing for changes.

But how do you label a true fan? I consider myself a fan of this series. Completely, but that doesn't mean I need to TELL them how to make MY perfect game.

There's a million simmers who play different. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow and see where it's going to take us as simmers.

I consider people like us here to be true fans - we have wildly different views but we are still here for the same reason. Despite our mistrust/misgivings, our disappointment/excitement, etc. we're all taking the time to express it, talk it out and go beyond simply saying "This game is a bowl of plum!" or "I feel like I need a cigarette after every session" in how we break it down.

At the end of the day we're all along for the ride as Maxis crafts it based on their vision combined with our feedback, but yeah. True fans to me are the people who are here through thick and thin, up and down and even if they don't buy the game, when they take the time to explain why, with respect but STICKING to their guns - that's what we need.

What we don't need is all the knee-jerking/bandwagon 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that occupies certain camps of the community and pollutes/destroys user score metrics.

I agree, people need to express their feedback with respect. I love the sims and yes there are problems but as a fan who does love all the sims series I am willing to wait and let EA work on the problems. I like that the Gurus came here and asked what the problems were. But to be disrespectful is not right. What you have stated that we do not need is true.
    Sometimes it seems like EA can't hear what the real problems are through all the things like you stated, being on the bandwagon.

• IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited September 2014
    Uhm... No. TS4 is far, FAR from a great game per-say the best this Series ever had, so, if you ask me the reviews are perfectly right.

Oh yep, user reviews, but still, you have to understand how it went down for many.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    People who give the game a 0, ignore them. No game is worth a zero, especially the Sims 4 since it does do some things right.
    People who give the game a 10, ignore them. No game is worth a ten, especially The Sims 4 since it does do some things wrong.
    Those are the two rules I've always followed when reading player reviews.
    True. But the game rates 2,5 and that could be quite accurate of course.
    Again, I was curious so I read some reviews. And they just make sense.

5JZ57S6.png
  • natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    Every thing on the internet has one thing...... trolls. Shall I provide a example? The Sims fourms on a daily basis, so these review places have their trolls.
    Or people are just really dissatisfied with the game...

You guys do realize that not every game will be overwhelmingly successful, right?

Do you realize that this game is NOT worth a zero.
    To you maybe. Quick question. If a milk company only provides spoiled milk, what would you rate them on a scale of 0-10?

That is like comparing apples to oranges. Milk is either spoiled or not, there is no opinion that spoiled milk tastes good, this is a video game and there is a general taste for it. There is no 0 or 10 rating for this game, it is a inbetween thing. But it is known by people who actually have played that this game is not worth zero.
    Well maybe to people who thinks it's worth a zero view it as the spoiled milk of the series :wink:

I believe that a 10 or a 0 are both too extreme to rate something, there is just not enough reasoning to equate a video game to the level of a coaster, the game is worth more than that.
    You believe the game is worth more than that? Guess what that's your opinion. What I've been trying to get at was that your opinion isn't a fact, neither is mine or anyone elses. So if someone thinks the game is worth a zero, let them be, it's a zero to them. If they believe it's a ten, let them be, it's a ten to them.

You are not getting at my original point, that most of those zeros (and most likely 10's) are just trolls just trying to bring up or down the score, just like everywhere else on the internet.

But I do believe that this game is worth more than a coaster -.-

Some of us felt the same about S
    Would you appreciate it if I were on the S3 forum at the beginning continuosly raging about why I hated it? .

there already IS that going on:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/788697/i-feel-so-sorry-for-people-who-play-ts3#latest

I don't agree with that either. It's childish. Personally, we all like what we like. Newer players shouldn't be harrassing older ones and so on. I do understand why you people are upset. I was there when TS3 came out. I was upset. I do know how it feels.
    IcySlash wrote: »

Gotta laugh at those people calling even reviewers ''trolls'' and ''haters''.

It is easier to dehumanize and dismiss others who may not agree with you. Otherwise you may have to concede they might have a point.

Marcus Aurelius
  • natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member

Thats a whole can of worms that I don't want to open.

• bamcam30bamcam30 Posts: 1,301 Member

Ugh -_- you're

nananana.gif

Could you please put your tongue back in your mouth, its really nasty
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member

It is easier to dehumanize and dismiss others who may not agree with you. Otherwise you may have to concede they might have a point.
    The only thing we should all agree it's that it doesn't deserve a 10, but even then, it's matter of opinion so i'll give you that. It's only that people namecalling others for disliking the game and/or posting honest reviews IS childish at the same degree as the ones that bash those who like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top