Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Create-a-Style is really missed

Comments

• Dave_the_raveDave_the_rave Posts: 85 Member
    Yeah miss that! that's one the things i liked about sims 3 was the amount of customization.
    200.gif
  • DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    I'm still play my TS3 game so I get my CASt fix. B)

As for TS4, I miss it horribly. It's not even for want of patterns (though I would love to be able to add my own) but for more basic color options. While the pre-sets are nice and some do have a variety of colors on certain objects/items, they can be severely limited on others. The fact that many shoes in CAS don't come in basic black is mind boggling to me. Another example, cribs. I wanted to do a nursery in red and white but when I went to place the bassinet the only color choices were pink, blue, yellow and green. A plain, white bassinet, a neutral color that would have gone with everything, was simply not an option. Like I said before, mind-boggling.

If EA decided to nix CASt, then they should have taken steps to make sure that the color options they did offer would be more dynamic. And since the game is proving more difficult to mod than anticipated (despite EA's claims to the contrary), it may be a while yet before Buy/Build CC and recolors start to roll out to fill the void.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • solarfairy77solarfairy77 Posts: 265 Member
    smoogie wrote: »
    hence why I still play TS3

at least one of the reasons i have not picked up sims 4..I never had the lag that everyone else seemed to have with CASt in sims 3, maybe I just have a better computer..but I did buy my comp for gaming in the first place.

• SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    I both miss CAST and don't miss CAST. I miss being able to design my own styles and create rooms straight out of my imagination... but what I don't miss are tedious hours I spent doing that instead of playing the game. I could spend so many hours in build mode that I eventually would just sort of pitter out and go play a premade family or close the game because I was tired of building but the house wasn't done yet.

I also understand the CAST system didn't just cause lag, it caused infinite tiny corruptions in the code of the game eventually rendering it so vastly unplayable that it was certainly no laughing matter. I myself never reached that point since I was forever starting new games but I know lots of other people suffered with that. It's the same reason they excluded things like family trees - to cut down on the propensity for slowly building errors. While I might not enjoy not having the options, I do understand the reasons they did what they did.

CAST isn't coming back, ever. Or a color wheel. It would have had to have been built into the game engine from the ground up.
  • mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    That's a shame. CASt is the last thing of my mind when I play 4.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'd like the team to decide on some consistent neutrals, like white/cream/black/grey/beige, and make every item come with those colors plus other random colors. I'm talking the same white, the same cream, etc. Then you could find things that matched or contrasted and know the colors would be the same. Instead, some black shoes aren't really black at all, but some shade of grey. Unfortunately, not the same shade of grey as any other item. Other colors have the same problems. One red isn't the same as any other red, so the outfit/furniture/build mode item doesn't match any other.

This would improve creative abilities for folks who like to make things work in harmony in a room/house/wardrobe. I don't think this is too much to ask. I know some people like things not to match and this would also give them more options when choosing their colors schemes.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    I don't miss it. It lagged, especially when loading categories with tons of textures like wood, themed, etc. And these same textures that were customizable, contributed to bigging the game down by a lot. Sims 4's styles on furnature, has complete sets that do match up, so I've been having no issues making themes that work.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    They should have given us a colour wheel.
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • ContessaClaidieContessaClaidie Posts: 263 Member
    I don't miss it mostly because i spent a lot more time playing Sims 2 then I ever did Sims 3 which never had that feature in the first place
    “Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” - Albert Einstein
    I own all Sims 1 to 4 + Expansion, Stuff Packs but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Sims 2
    4.5 Ghz Processor, 32 Gb of Ram, 3x Geforce GTX Titan Z Extreme Edition, 1 TB SSD
  • LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    smoogie wrote: »
    hence why I still play TS3

at least one of the reasons i have not picked up sims 4..I never had the lag that everyone else seemed to have with CASt in sims 3, maybe I just have a better computer..but I did buy my comp for gaming in the first place.
    Yeah I don't think most people will buy a powerful gaming computer to play a game that most people consider to be for casuals. They will buy it for demanding mmorpgs, or something like that.
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • LeslieM25LeslieM25 Posts: 2,766 Member
    I completely agree. I miss it really bad. I would settle for just the color wheel and the ability to save favorite colors
    Come check out my poses and more on my Simblr!
    http://lesliem25.tumblr.com/
    GqsONVc.gif
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2014
    What I think is odd is there is at least one color mod out there called Color Magic. So if you can make a working mod for this, why can't something similar be made for the game by EA? That makes little sense.
    Mylita wrote: »
    I'd like the team to decide on some consistent neutrals, like white/cream/black/grey/beige, and make every item come with those colors plus other random colors. I'm talking the same white, the same cream, etc. Then you could find things that matched or contrasted and know the colors would be the same. Instead, some black shoes aren't really black at all, but some shade of grey. Unfortunately, not the same shade of grey as any other item. Other colors have the same problems. One red isn't the same as any other red, so the outfit/furniture/build mode item doesn't match any other.

This would improve creative abilities for folks who like to make things work in harmony in a room/house/wardrobe. I don't think this is too much to ask. I know some people like things not to match and this would also give them more options when choosing their colors schemes.

Mylita

I totally agree with you.

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I am begging, begging for simple grey paint. That's all I ask. Everything is either too light or too blue.
  • pzoPatrickpzoPatrick Posts: 37 Member
    I miss it too. I read above that some users had trouble with it in TS3, but I never had any. It always worked fine and I used it all the time. The default colors were never good so I always recolored everything.

I think it's essential for a good and modern game and they should definately find a way to bring it back in. I don't care if they have to rewrite the whole game for it, I don't care how long it takes. It's too important to leave out. It was one of the things that made Sims 3 successful and one of the reasons Sims 4 is not.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited September 2014
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Ryck wrote: »
    If you went to the department store to buy clothes, you pick from what they have. That's the way I kind of look at it. It's more realistic in a way.

The furniture store is the same.

Well, yes. But I don't really play the game for realism. :smile:

This series is my escape. And I loved the fact that CASt allowed me to instantly make a character's wardrobe or his or her surroundings into anything I desired. I loved it (and still love it) because of the amount of creativity it allows and also because I've never seen anything quite like it in any other game I've played. It's a great tool. And when I look at TS4's 5 or so preset solid colors I miss it terribly.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I still play the sims 3. Cast doesn't make my game lag. Cast and the open world were the two greatest improvements to the sims game. I just couldn't play without either one.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited September 2014
    To the whole argument that it is more realistic to have a limited choice on colors or patterns when designing a room. PFFFFFFFFT!!!!!!!

Have you never gone paint shopping? You can get a color of paint in any color you can imagine. Any. The choices of paint in wall coverings is decidedly unrealistically limited.

You can use that paint to customize many things in your home. You can paint the freakin' door and don't need to be stuck with all white doors which are more grayish white and in need of a paint job.
    Realistically speaking, I can make my kitchen cabinets any color I like. I can cover them with gaudy cheetah print contact paper or aluminum foil.
    Realistically speaking, if you walk into any reputable furniture store, more often than not you will be able to custom order the furniture with the fabric of your choosing. Still not enough options? Look to hiring an upholsterer and let your imagination run wild. Rainbow cat print sofa.

No more patterns/textures? Whatever. They've done what they've done and I'm learning to live with matte plastic, shiny plastic, in-the-middle plastic selections. But colors? That is proving to be quite a hindrance considering the colors are off from one item to the next.

A forced selection of three to twelve color combination options for fencing? Not realistic.

Want that wall covering in anything except baby hued pastels? Tough.

Tired of looking at white interior doors (which you can see the wood through, so you know they need a paint job). Ha.
    Have you noticed that the wood pattern on almost all of the white wood interior doors is exactly the same? That reads as lazy to me.

That wall sconce would fit in perfectly if it were black? Tough plums, you get nasty brass and copper.

I like 'that' shelf, but why does it only have to be in pastels? In 'real life', can't I 'realistically' make in any color I want?

What I would LOVE to see, is EA give us a "Homecrafter" tool where at the very VERY least we can make our own walls and floors. For Plum's sake, we had it in Sims 1. I want nicely painted trim, not shoddy whitewash.

edited because I forgot a 't' somewhere.
  • abe70280abe70280 Posts: 519 Member
    of course monkeys would say they dont like CASt and it lags them. dont you know they're playing with their fisher price computers?
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited September 2014
    I actually don't miss it at all. It's nice to not have to customize your house for ten minutes, waiting for CASt to load and then digging through the myriad of hideous paisley patterns, animal patterns, flame patterns, flower patters, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. As others have said it would be nice to have a color wheel at the very least, but right now I'm fine with not having even that.

I see other people say this, but you didn't have to use the tool if you didn't want to, since there were plenty of presets in TS3. You didn't have to customize at all. I guess I just think that more room for creativity is always a good thing. As a player who spends a lot of time with the creative side of the games, I think it's weird to give so much and then go back on it.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    To the whole argument that it is more realistic to have a limited choice on colors or patterns when designing a room. PFFFFFFFFT!!!!!!!

Have you never gone paint shopping? You can get a color of paint in any color you can imagine. Any. The choices of paint in wall coverings is decidedly unrealistically limited.

You can use that paint to customize many things in your home. You can paint the freakin' door and don't need to be stuck with all white doors which are more grayish white and in need of a paint job.
    Realistically speaking, I can make my kitchen cabinets any color I like. I can cover them with gaudy cheetah print contact paper or aluminum foil.
    Realistically speaking, if you walk into any reputable furniture store, more often than not you will be able to custom order the furniture with the fabric of your choosing. Still not enough options? Look to hiring an upholsterer and let your imagination run wild. Rainbow cat print sofa.

No more patterns/textures? Whatever. They've done what they've done and I'm learning to live with matte plastic, shiny plastic, in-the-middle plastic selections. But colors? That is proving to be quite a hindrance considering the colors are off from one item to the next.

A forced selection of three to twelve color combination options for fencing? Not realistic.

Want that wall covering in anything except baby hued pastels? Tough.

Tired of looking at white interior doors (which you can see the wood through, so you know they need a paint job). Ha.
    Have you noticed that the wood pattern on almost all of the white wood interior doors is exactly the same? That reads as lazy to me.

That wall sconce would fit in perfectly if it were black? Tough plums, you get nasty brass and copper.

I like 'that' shelf, but why does it only have to be in pastels? In 'real life', can't I 'realistically' make in any color I want?

What I would LOVE to see, is EA give us a "Homecrafter" tool where at the very VERY least we can make our own walls and floors. For Plum's sake, we had it in Sims 1. I want nicely painted trim, not shoddy whitewash.

edited because I forgot a 't' somewhere.

Nailed it.

qs4bpfjpg.gif

14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    That's why I'm never playing TS4.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    If you went to the department store to buy clothes or furniture, you pick from what they have. That's the way I kind of look at it. It's more realistic in a way. I only used it a few times and mainly because some items you bought in the store only came in one preset color. I would save the item in a couple more colors to get some variety.
    Very realistic. The thing is, in reality fashion changes every few months. Other colours, other combinations.
    That's what you could achieve with CASt, not with presets.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ContessaClaidieContessaClaidie Posts: 263 Member
    edited September 2014
    CASt is never ever coming back be happy with what you have :D
    “Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” - Albert Einstein
    I own all Sims 1 to 4 + Expansion, Stuff Packs but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Sims 2
    4.5 Ghz Processor, 32 Gb of Ram, 3x Geforce GTX Titan Z Extreme Edition, 1 TB SSD
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    CASt is never ever coming back be happy with what you have :D

Totally original comeback. Two thumbs up. oh, wait, those weren't thumbs, my bad.

• psychotrip1psychotrip1 Posts: 237 Member
    pawzsim wrote: »
    I really miss create a style. :'( The pattern choices and colors in the game, so far, are lacking. :'( This is the BASE game and I realize that. The fact that Sims 3 had this tool, and this game does not, makes NO SENSE to me :o . That was one aspect of Sims 3 that I really loved and thought was a true "keeper" for the future. I hope that it returns somehow or that we get a separate program (FREE, FREE, FREE) to create-a-style.

Don't you know? They had to remove CASt to make room for multitasking and emotions.

Priorities!

Where did they say that? CASt created lag before multitasking existed. I always hated watching rooms constantly render from all the patterns the game was loading. However multitasking is infinitely more immersive than multiple floral patterns so I am fine with that trade off.

It....it was a joke...
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12696591/#Comment_12696591
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.