Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Safe download

Sorry but I couldn´t find any better section for this thread. :smiley:
I´m afraid of computer viruses and I think that everytime I download something (yes, even from safe sites) my PC will get viruses. My Avast! Antivirus tells me that Mod The Sims is a dangerous site and I can´t download anything that I want. I mean, I would like to download CC creator (Magic Color) and I´m afraid it will cause problems on my computer. Do you know if Mod The Sims IS a dangerous downloading site? And why did my computer get viruses from that site earlier?

Comments

• Options
    HenekHenek Posts: 36 Member
    I have not had any problems with mods from Mod The Sims. What you should do is look at what others are saying about a site, for instance mod the sims is considered by most simmers to be a trusted site, as I understand it they screen the mods so they will catch anyone trying to upload a virus.

But to be on the safe side though you can right click any file after you downloaded it and choose "Scan ...", this will make avast determine if the file is dangerous or not.

As long as you do your research (looking at posts about the site and the download by other simmers) you should not have to worry. If you stick to the more known sites you are not likely to get any viruses.

People have a tendency to be more afraid of viruses then they need to, as long as you make sure avast is on and is updated you should be quite safe. :)
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    I've been downloading from MTS for years and never got a virus. I'm sorry for your circumstance. I would assume your antivirus will have a list of "safe sites" or "dangerous sites" that you can edit personally.
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Unless Mod the Sims has changed their policy they do not game test every upload to their downloads sections themselves. That said, the site has been around for years and has a very good reputation in terms of the safety of their downloads. I can't think of a single report of viruses being spread from there.

The people uploading things to share there are players just like yourself with no reason to spread viruses. Because of the large number of people downloading there if someone were to upload a malicious item it would be discovered quickly and the site would remove it in pretty short order. There is no tolerance for that kind of thing there.
  • Options
    CyberSurferCyberSurfer Posts: 76 Member
    I've been a member on MTS since it was Mod The Singles.... It's one of the safest sites out there. But as always, regardless, no site is 100% safe, so do scan the files you download, just to make sure.
    The One, The Only, The Original..
    CyberSurfer
    The Ghost in the World's Virtual Machine
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited September 2014
    Every once in a while, my anti-v (McAfee) has a hissy fit about mts too. But what I did was to go to the site and let them know it was happening, and after that, I never again had a problem. I think the anti-v companies do not have many customers who play the sims and who download sims stuff. I have been using mts since June of 2006. I have never, ever picked up anything that was bad for my computer. On the other hand, I have picked up a virus on THIS (EA) site, and on The Sims Resource. So, you can never tell where you'll get hit. It probably has to do with the companies that advertise on them.

So, I've been downloading a sims 4 cc since mts put them up. I check them every day, and download something every day. There is nothing on there that will hurt your computer, that I've used. And my sims look beautiful! Have a great day.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited September 2014
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    I would like to download CC creator (Magic Color) and I´m afraid it will cause problems on my computer. Do you know if Mod The Sims IS a dangerous downloading site?

As said above, MTS is safe. Color Magic, however, does not live there; it is hosted at the creator's blog, here: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?page_id=404 I guarantee that site is safe too :)