Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Modding Theory: World/Neighbourhood Cloning

ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
In The Sims 3, it was possible to clone worlds simply by copying the file and pasting the copy. The result would be that two copies of the world would appear in the new game screen.

In The Sims 4, such a thing doesn't work at the moment. All the .world files are for individual neighbourhoods, and copying them does nothing. As an experiment, I also tried replacing neighbourhoods with a copy of another, but that just lead to endless loading screens (I backed up and restored the originals of course, lol!).

While cloning worlds and neighbourhoods is out of my league, I've theorized that it might be in reach of some other talented modder. Perhaps it could be possible to clone Willow Creek or Oasis Springs and create extra space for lots and Sims. Further down the line, it may also be possible to create a world with a mixture different cloned neighbourhoods from Willow Creek and Oasis Springs. Even further yet, it could be possible to create a custom map for the world.

While a CAW tool is definitely not coming any time soon, this is something that might interest modders.