Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @nectere I don't play extensively enough to break my sinks typically, but it doesn't sound like expected behavior if there are other functional sinks available. If you think it might be your game, I would recommend taking the usual clear/repair steps: 1) remove mods/CC if any, 2) clear your cache, 3) repair the game via Origin, 4) create a new save and test the issue in that save. If the issue recurs in the new save, let us know.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Yes, @Cassee we have that issue logged here. Please click on the "Me Too" button if you get a chance. :)

Thank you, Ms Bry. Thank goodness it was not me!!!
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
  • Options
    Okay, sorry to be a pest, but I have another problem. Not a bug, just a headache.

I need help 'fixing' this roof over the porch. If you look up from the ground you can see where my 'headache' is. I can't get it seamless. Do ya have any suggestions? I can upload it, if you would like to give it a go.
    02-10-18_10-00-08nbspPM_zps2ul3hd3x.png

Thanks Ms Bry♥♥
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
  • Options
    @Cassee the easiest thing is just to copy one of the roof pieces and then replace the other one with the copy. The copy should be seamless with the original.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    @Cassee the easiest thing is just to copy one of the roof pieces and then replace the other one with the copy. The copy should be seamless with the original.

Sorry, Ms Bry. I didn't explain it very well. It's not the 'top' of the roof. It's the underside that is 'bugging' me. Porch ceiling. I need the trim but if I extend trim underside all the way to the fence on second floor, the fancy post work disappears and I have no idea how to get it back. I can use the roof trim but I don't like how it looks. Do you know a 'roof' expert??!! hehe The circle porch on 2nd floor is tricky also.

Thanks for looking. I'm building something else right now. My brain needed a break.

Toodles♥♥

• Options
    @Cassee I'm afraid our resident roof expert is long gone, although there may be some others out there. I think it's something I'd need to get hands-on in order to see if anything could be done. If you want to upload a test version of the build, I'd be happy to take a look. Just let me know.
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Cassee I'd be willing to take a look. It's hard to see what the problem is from the picture you posted. Have you put a ceiling on the porch? Roofing doesn't have an underside (ceiling) so I find aesthetically it's best to fill in the ceiling when laying a flat decking piece.
  • Options
    @Cassee I'm afraid our resident roof expert is long gone, although there may be some others out there. I think it's something I'd need to get hands-on in order to see if anything could be done. If you want to upload a test version of the build, I'd be happy to take a look. Just let me know.

Thanks Ms Bry. I'll see about getting a 'test' uploaded this weekend. Look for 'Bry Help Me' hehe
    sawdust wrote: »
    @Cassee I'd be willing to take a look. It's hard to see what the problem is from the picture you posted. Have you put a ceiling on the porch? Roofing doesn't have an underside (ceiling) so I find aesthetically it's best to fill in the ceiling when laying a flat decking piece.

Yes, sawdust, I put a ceiling on the porch. I can't stand an 'open' roof. It looks unfinished. The ceiling is the problem. The 'circles' are making it difficult. I LOVE how it looks from the front, but the view for a Sim standing on the sidewalk preparing to step up on porch, is awful. Most won't let it bother them, but it absolutely bothers me. :-(
    If you would like to give it a go, I will welcome any and all options. Look for 'Bry Help Me'

Thank you both.

• Options
    Ha! I won't have any trouble finding that one. :D Just let us know when you've uploaded it @Cassee.
  • Options
    It's uploaded for ya
  • Options
    Okay, @Cassee, I took a look, and you do have have some missing ceiling areas beneath some of those porch roofs. I temporarily moved the roofs and placed various shaped flats (the triangle is quite useful - resize it before placing) to create ceiling beneath all of them. The only thing that still happens on the ceiling is the circular trim poking down through a bit, but even if you got rid of that trim, you would then have a bit of a seam in the ceiling. There's just going to be a slight graphical issue when a circle meets a square in this game, I'm afraid. So try moving those porch roofs off and adding flats over the space they cover.
  • Options
    I concur with Bry's findings. If you remove the porch rooves you will find there are no ceilings underneath. Whenever you use flat decking and intend to have a roof over it, always page up (before applying the roof) and use the "build ceiling" command. This will give you a much better finish. Unfortunately you are always going to have a graphical issue when a circle meets a square. I have fixed it as best I can and taken a picture. (below) Also you may not be aware. If you hold down "shift" while applying room trims, it will apply the trim to one wall at a time. Very handy when you only want the trim around a porch and not down the side of the house.

As an aside, @BryonyRae has it been noted that roof section walls over-ride fence placement? eg. If you used a half circle on the second story of @Cassee's house and tried to place a fence along the front edge of the porch, the roof counters it and although the fence is there, it won't show.
    82HqPTq.png
  • Options
    BEEEEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you. I think I was trying to get the 'ceiling' command to work and just gave up. I'll give it another go.

Thank you both. ♥♥
  • Options
    KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    @Cassee sometimes I find that if only a part of a rooms ceiling is missing the "build ceiling" command wont work. You have to remove the rest of the ceiling first and then try it.
  • Options
    Cassee wrote: »
    BEEEEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you. I think I was trying to get the 'ceiling' command to work and just gave up. I'll give it another go.

Thank you both. ♥♥

The first floor porch wasn't a proper room in that it didn't cover the whole porch area. There was a gap between the hipped roof and the front wall. It wouldn't have been able to fill it in anyway.
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited February 2018
    Run Run Runnerway dining table from Movie Hangout is not changing its texture according to its swatches. It appears to only have one color being called and none pointing to the swatches.
    uAEvD3n.png
    lx4ylep.png

no mods no cc, freshly repaired
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    Stephzor93Stephzor93 Posts: 10 New Member
    Hello, I was redirected here for help. :)

Are there any work arounds for counters changing sizes automatically? It's hard to explain without images, but I'm using the "Alpha Beta Phong" counters, and I'm placing an Inner Corner against a wall - It will change to a smaller size with different dimensions, and no longer line up with its normal sized brethren. It will only line up completely if every counter is against a wall as well.

Is there any way to either stop the automatic resizing or force it to happen without a visible wall? It won't change the counters if I use a fence, and any wall I use has to be over a certain height to force the change, and then it becomes visible.
  • Options
    Ah, we were just discussing that issue @Stephzor93. Unfortunately, the counter size change is functioning as designed (in order to support backsplash display - see near bottom of page 69 in this thread) . We do have a request on our list now to enable builders to have manual control over it, but for now, designs that partially intersect walls are problematic, and you may want to reconsider your design.
  • Options
    Oh, actually, there is one simple thing you can do to workaround the issue that may help in some situations. That is to hold ALT and manually place the counter close to the wall, but not so close that it snaps to it and changes size. The slight gap between the counter and the wall is not generally noticeable. However, you do lose your backsplash. I have used this technique deliberately many times when I didn't want counter backsplashes to show (I like to design my own, if I even want them).
  • Options
    @BryonyRae I see the ability to set light colours and intensity in build mode has been included in the list but am wondering if locking doors (mainly in retail and restaurant builds) can also be included, as well as holding the locks through the Gallery process. I noticed one of my restaurant builds, even though I set the locks when testing, they don't hold once I upload and download through the Gallery. Alternatively, give us the ability to lock/unlock any door in Live Mode (whether we own the lot or not) so when playing lots, if we want to close off a section for any reason, we can.
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    @BryonyRae I have been experiencing issues with uploading. For some reason a few of my original builds have shown up with original by "other builders name here". Do you know if anyone else is experiencing this issue? One of them was one that I uploaded yesterday and another one was from over a year ago. I do original builds unless I have to download a shell for a challenge.
  • Options
    Another handy thing would be to store herbal plants in the fridge so my Sim doesn't have to fill up his inventory with plants I don't want in the fertilizer list.
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited February 2018
    sawdust wrote: »
    Another handy thing would be to store herbal plants in the fridge so my Sim doesn't have to fill up his inventory with plants I don't want in the fertilizer list.

I stash those in the handy chests located under storage misc - "The Ornate Beauty" and "Buyer Beware" and since there is no animation associated, you can easily size them down and stash them anywhere. (you only need one that I am aware of, no idea what the limit is)
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    @sawdust will add your suggestions when I get a chance.

@gmcrozier there was a bug a good while back where the original by on a new creation was randomly overwritten by another creator. Many of us were struck by the bug... I hope it isn't making a reappearance! This was the thread we had for it at the time. And here is how we worked around/avoided the problem:

"The only workaround that we have at the current time is to save each room of your build and then re-place them on a freshly bulldozed and saved lot (verify that it has no original in your library *before* building on it). One preventative measure to prevent encountering the problem in the future is to: 1) Bulldoze the lot you want to build on, 2) Save it to your Library, 3) Verify that the Original By is blank, 4) Place the lot from your library onto the lot in the game world and then proceed with your build."

To All:

There was a new patch today, and it looks like it addressed some build/buy issues. I will be testing the following fixes:
    • Solid doors no longer let light pass through
    • Roof patterns no longer stretched on newer roof types
    • Dead Hawthorne Tree can now be placed above basements
    • Webs, cracks, holes in the wall type wall decals should no longer cost