Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    I tried it @BryonyRae .. it just alters between one curvature point and three. I see no ongoing curvature shrinkage. It resets the top and bottom curvature points. I'm assuming you're not altering the curvature between clicks. I see nothing "trippy" about it. I think what you might be describing is when it puts the new points in or takes them out. There is a slight shift in the curve the first time you alter from 3 to 1 then 1 to 3, but subsequent clicks simply revert between 3 points and one point. :)
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Ah, interesting @sawdust, I'm glad it is more stable in your game. In my game, it is definitely altering curvature down each time it is pressed while holding a given roof (that was already curved). Anyway, when I asked a dev, they already had it on their list. I think the intent was never to have it actually changing or resetting curvature but just to toggle the extra points on or off, so hopefully it will work that way in the future.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Ah, interesting @sawdust, I'm glad it is more stable in your game. In my game, it is definitely altering curvature down each time it is pressed while holding a given roof (that was already curved). Anyway, when I asked a dev, they already had it on their list. I think the intent was never to have it actually changing or resetting curvature but just to toggle the extra points on or off, so hopefully it will work that way in the future.

yeah testing on our two computers changed the roof with spamming shift C while not actually touching/moving the points.
    I me too'd what you had posted.
    Thank you so much BryonyRae - enjoy some time off with fam!
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    i been having problems with my roofs

i posted it here on this thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16154079#Comment_16154079
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    @carolynrosser I was not able to duplicate the behavior you described either. If you haven't already, make sure you: 1) remove mods, 2) clear your cache, and 3) repair the game via Origin. I would also advise creating a new save and testing the behavior in it.

@Nectere it is unfortunate, but I think the behavior with shrunken surfaces is to be expected. I wouldn't expect the game to be able to recalculate what could be slotted onto the smaller object and at what height without a good bit of extra code. I also doubt that it would be easy to simply remove the slots, although we can ask about it. Actually, we do already have a request in from May 2015 to "Give us the ability to disable objects snapping to surfaces, like tables (for instance, if we hold down ALT with MOO on)." I think that for now, we have to handle it exactly as you described - shrink the object and check the new height, height adjust the decor object(s) to the right height and then slide the surface object underneath it.

I'm not really seeing a problem with the big pipes shadows when I resize it, but some of the wall art, yes. We had a similar situation with sizing up some pieces (black shadows under them), and some got fixed after we reported them (although the Superasymmetry painting has the problem to this day). So let's compile a list of affected objects, and then I'll create a report for it.

I think the large paintings dropping back to the floor is an interesting issue. In my game, it was only happening with the Reflecting Ideals - Large (and similar) series of paintings. The behavior with those paintings is actually the same whether they have been shrunk or are at normal size, so if I report the behavior, it would probably be independent of the shrink functionality. Did you experience the behavior with any other wall objects?
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The "Arch Support" has a few pixels that are not alpha'd out in the opening creating a small rectangle of color from w/e wallpaper is on the wall and occurs on both sides of the arch.
    nvF4PVs.png?1
    GQBjQNN.png
    w01gqBt.png

no mods no cc
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @Nectere it is unfortunate, but I think the behavior with shrunken surfaces is to be expected. I wouldn't expect the game to be able to recalculate what could be slotted onto the smaller object and at what height without a good bit of extra code. I also doubt that it would be easy to simply remove the slots, although we can ask about it. Actually, we do already have a request in from May 2015 to "Give us the ability to disable objects snapping to surfaces, like tables (for instance, if we hold down ALT with MOO on)." I think that for now, we have to handle it exactly as you described - shrink the object and check the new height, height adjust the decor object(s) to the right height and then slide the surface object underneath it.

I'm not really seeing a problem with the big pipes shadows when I resize it, but some of the wall art, yes. We had a similar situation with sizing up some pieces (black shadows under them), and some got fixed after we reported them (although the Superasymmetry painting has the problem to this day). So let's compile a list of affected objects, and then I'll create a report for it.

I think the large paintings dropping back to the floor is an interesting issue. In my game, it was only happening with the Reflecting Ideals - Large (and similar) series of paintings. The behavior with those paintings is actually the same whether they have been shrunk or are at normal size, so if I report the behavior, it would probably be independent of the shrink functionality. Did you experience the behavior with any other wall objects?

Oddly enough tho you can shrink a shelf and its slots will move with the shelf - just not surfaces. I would expect that behavior for a surface that has a function such as a counter. I understand sims have to look at objects under the "view" if its considered an art piece or what have you but for objects that have no actionable queue I would think it would move with the surface like the shelves. To be fair this is the same for enlarge (except shelves)
    vZxW3k0.png

Regarding the larger items dropping to the floor it was confined to objects/art that normally is very large like the signs and the wall objects - some will drop or be unable to move down once resized. Fluid Forms Lighted Wall, the oversized paintings such as the ode to jazz, the city living oversized art - talking like huge objects that normally take up a couple of walls being reduced. I am thinking if it exceeds the height of the wall is what is effecting it.

Give me a day or two to compile the shadow list, there are quite a few objects affected by the ambient shadow artifact.

Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    @Nectere yeah we have a report on the Arch from Cats & Dogs here.

The thing about shrinking the shelves though is that it doesn't change their height and thus the height of the slots. When you shrink a surface like a table, you are reducing its height as well as width etc. but its slots remain at their original height. I don't think shelf slots are being handled differently, it's just that their height isn't changing. The question to the devs is whether they can/will reduce slot height along with object height, when object height is reduced.
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited November 2017
    Finally some new roofs! Thanks to the OP for addressing issues in the comments!
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited November 2017
    OK we have new roofs but...
    The Gallery is slowly shattered. Not only tags are not working, but creations disappear from the catalogs.. From my catalog over 10 houses disappeared yesterday including all those which received the Maxis Award.
    This is really sad. All new works I have to keep from now in my computer in the archive. Thankfully, the French have made new Tray Importer
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    @kreatora they've got the broken tags reported, so I'm sure that will get addressed. As for missing creations, that has been happening intermittently to people for a while. I'm sorry it's happened to you! Your best bet would be to PM a guru (I would try SimGuruNick) and request help. They have restored other people's missing creations in the past, including their status as Maxis favorites with downloads/faves.
  • Options
    NoreNore Posts: 236 Member
    Hey guys! Not sure if these have been reported so far but I noticed a number of roofing things that were not there before the patch. One is that when trying to change the curvature of a roof, it always goes all the way down to the most inner curve, which makes it hard to match roofs accurately and mostly just annoying. The next is that the thickest roof trim looks way different on hipped and gable roofs. In fact most of them do except the thinnest ones. They have weird bends in them and angles where they used to be straight and a line. It is especially noticeable on the thickest one.

Also, the gaps between roofs are showing now, it seems almost impossible to make them seamless if you curve the roof. For instance if you are creating a roof around a top floor attic and using half hipped roofs, the only way to make them seamless when they connect for me is to keep the default angle or making the curve all the way in or out. Otherwise even if I carefully lower and raise them in step they cannot connect it seems.

Last thing, sometimes roofs just don't seem to delete. Even if I move them to another location. And then I continue building and return to the roof to delete it and suddenly I can, very weird haha.

Anyway sorry again if any of that has already been discussed!
    Link to my showcase thread: NoreKP Showcase

Link to a story I started: Chronicles of a Simki

Origin ID: NoreKP

Latest build: When Baroque Met Modern
    4584899921fd5b78c0674fd01372085ee844519960c626fcee531895d7bd6d3af4b9e81c.jpg
  • Options
    An obscure one, but I thought some builders might like to know about this.
  • Options
    withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    edited November 2017
    I really, really miss the resizing available after an object was "set as head"--many times it allowed you to get a resize that was about half-way between standard size and ] size. It allowed for far more useful rugs and lighting fixture resizing. And it was about the only way to get a decent sized china cabinet without using CC.

I can delete roofs so far.
  • Options
    Thanks for reporting, @Nore. No, I hadn't noticed that about the roof curve points, but sure enough, just touching one makes it want to immediately bottom out the curve (if it was not already curved or was set to a concave curve) or snap back to straight (if it was a convex curve). Now, this is not the case once you toggle SHIFT+C, so as a workaround, you may want to just toggle SHIFT+C on the roof piece before you even start adjusting it. Once turned on for that piece, it remains on.

I see what you mean regarding the roof trims as well. I think it's whenever a curve is introduced, the scaling for them seems to be off, causing them to narrow or widen very strangely.

I didn't have a problem getting roofs to connect properly, but given the behavior when you touch the curvature, I can see how it would be tricky. A couple of ideas - 1) use SHIFT+C on each roof before you adjust its curvature as I mentioned above and/or 2) once you have a roof designed the way you like, use the copy functionality to copy it and place the copy adjoining the first as you like (sounds like that would work well for you in your attic scenario).

I haven't had a problem deleting roofs. Are you pressing the DEL key or trying to use the hammer on them? Are you working with a certain number of them when this starts happening, i.e. more than 10, etc.?

If you haven't already, I would make sure to 1) remove any mods/CC that you have, 2) clear your cache, and 3) repair the game. This is a good rule of thumb to follow after every patch. I will be reporting the first two issues you brought up on AHQ though and will post links here once I have them.
  • Options
    @withlovejulien you can now use left bracket [ to shrink things down rather than the setashead cheat. While you may not be able to get the exact sizes you had before, you have more flexibility with the new shrink functionality, as you can shrink multiple times. Also, it's much easier to do and doesn't involve live mode at all. I prefer it myself, but of course, that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    AHQ Reports - Roof Curvature point issue here. Roof Trim issue here. Please click on the "Me Too" button on AHQ to get more visibility to the devs.
  • Options
    @BryonyRae Thank you for the explanation and for the links :)

• Options
    withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    True, @BryonyRae! It is a lot more flexible!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I have never notice this column misalignment to this extent until recently. Columns placed on corners will not line up with a column that is not on a corner - they are currently offset and the thickness is different.
    pNiZKWe.png
    y9o3Fig.png
    cGqaXNh.png?

As a wish, I wish that the "Not So Drab Slab" roof pattern did not have a seam on it. As well, I wish floors could go on roofs the way that roof pattern can go on floors but thats a pipe dream - just remove the seam from the aforementioned and I would be pretty stoked. Or maybe add some terrain colored roofing without a seam, that would be awesome.
    Post edited by Nectere on
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @Nectere good catch. I can reproduce it in my game and have logged it on AHQ here. Most columns are affected, but there are some that were spared: Structurally Sound, Architectural Spines, Annesley Square Column, and Buenaventura Column still align.

As for the roofs, I think they would need to look under the hood a bit, as I think the seams currently hide some ugliness that shows up with the new roofs. I know what you mean though, as it would be nice to have a choice in whether or not there was a seam. I will add both requests, as I don't really see why flooring *couldn't* go on a roof...
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • Options
    BlueShreveBlueShreve Posts: 550 Member
    I would like to have no cut-away walls and spandrels that don't drop with walls.
    ZH6FuAy.png
    ----> Check out and download my creations HERE <----
    ----> View my Showcase thread HERE <----
  • Options
    BlueShreveBlueShreve Posts: 550 Member
    I would also like to be able to change light color and brightness in buildmode.
    ZH6FuAy.png
    ----> Check out and download my creations HERE <----
    ----> View my Showcase thread HERE <----
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has pointed this out but the Mega Railing Budget DeLite stairwell rails seem to flicker randomly (when panning left to right). There are no other objects over them and if I delete them and undo the delete the flickering goes away. The part that flickers is always the end pole, at the bottom of the stairwell on both ends.

• Options
    Nore wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has pointed this out but the Mega Railing Budget DeLite stairwell rails seem to flicker randomly (when panning left to right). There are no other objects over them and if I delete them and undo the delete the flickering goes away. The part that flickers is always the end pole, at the bottom of the stairwell on both ends.

I could not duplicate, can you give more details? Is this live or build mode when you see the flickering? What lot were you on? (what world, lot size, entrance facing n/s or e/w etc) Were you using moo during the build? Was this indoors or outdoors? Or both? Do you have any mods? Were there any enclosures or half walls in play? Did you have any lights moved into place on top of the banisters that may have sunk below the floor?
    Origin ID NectereSim