Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    aquilifer wrote: »
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to understand how having larger counter and cabinet pieces would help with this (it reads like there is some math involved which I'm not super good at, so layman's terms please :p ).

The length of one diagonal wall piece is equal to the length of approximately 1.4 regular wall pieces. If, for example, you try to put a gate on a diagonal fence in the game right now, any gate which is normally 2 squares wide will lengthen to 2.8 squares wide; the gates automatically adjust in size to fit two full squares whether you're putting them in regular fences or diagonal fences. I would like to have something similar with counters and cabinets. What I'd like to see is an option in the counter select-a-size function for a length of 1.4 (exactly one diagonal wall section), because then the counters could be the same length as the walls, and they would automatically be the correct size for the room without needing the ALT key or wrestling around with getting them to snap together.

Otherwise, yes, the problems you described are the same ones I was having, particularly with respect to placing cabinets.

This also happens for some windows, but not all...
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited November 2014
    As for removing the stair walls, you can sledgehammer them. It destroys both walls, but you can then manually place walls around them. Of course that does mean that the replacement wall extends out further than you may want it to. Is that why you are asking for this?

Yes, I know that you can delete stair walls with a sledgehammer, which can make a floating stair for non-floated ones. However, the reason why I'm asking for it is because I want to delete the back part. In that way, you can place another stair underneath. But as for side walls, maybe requesting of the ability to delete each side instead of both sides. In other words, I think I changed my idea. Instead of deleting all parts, I think we should allow us to delete each part; the side, the other side, and the back.
    There is currently no way to remove walls on a gable roof, so I could see wanting that for perhaps creating some cool effects, but wouldn't being able to sledgehammer them work just as well? Are you looking to remove individual wall tiles or all of the walls?

I know right? Not even a sledgehammer can delete that part. Regarding to your question, I was looking to remove the entire wall, but not all the walls. I think each part; the side, the other side, and the back (for half-gable roof) like I've mentioned above (sorry for being repetitive).
    And regarding placing stairs over stairs, you meant in the case of floating stairs, right? I think that the problem with the stairs over stairs is that it doesn't make sense for the non-floating stairs, and I don't think the game knows the difference between them. Might be a tough one to implement, but we can ask.

You got a point. And in case for non-floating stairs, I maybe have an idea for that. If you're going to place the non-floating stair over a stair, maybe the back stair wall would be disappeared, with side walls can be deleted by a player like I've mentioned at the top.

Sorry if my explanation confuse you. :disappointed_relieved:
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Thank you, @aquilifer and @RyeCris16 - got enough info to post your requests & bugs now. @DieterPrivate if you have noticed problems with specific windows, could you list them and what you're experiencing? Better yet, post a screen shot or shots?
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    These are images to display the problems reported with counters and cabinets when placing along diagonal walls:

1. Corner counter pieces will not auto place on a diagonal.
    diagcounters1_zps1fae2478.jpg

2. Corner cabinet pieces will not auto place on a diagonal.
    diagcabinets1_zps37402782.jpg

3. Counter pieces don't display backing on diagonal walls with certain orientations.
    diagcounters2_zps284f8d80.jpg

4. Cabinets won't automatically snap together on a diagonal.
    diagcabinets2_zps3d0d2c55.jpg
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    @kamb1403 Yep, a request for curved walls is in the index!
    edited November 2014
    And here's my latest collection of requests and glitches based on my last building adventure.

Requests (I'm not adding all of these to the index as some are very specific or obscure, but I do want to get them all out in this post):
    • Let us have the option to turn auto-connect for pools and fountains off. I wanted to create a fountain inside a 1 tile room and also have fountains arrayed just outside of it, but I cannot have a wall between them because the game wants to auto-connect them and won't let me place them adjacently without doing that.
    • Let us place fountains next to pools. We could make some nifty water features if we could do that - I'm not liking the forced one-tile separation.
    • I would like to see some more modern styled spandrels.
    • Let us place water emitters on terrain or floor tiles. There is one that can be placed off water, but it doesn't have any color options.
    • Enable the Portable Galaxy Lightshow to be placed on surfaces (it's very low to the ground and would be much more versatile if we could place it on desks, counters, etc.).
    • For the Spitting Fish Fountain and other like water emitters, please reduce the collision boxes. It should only take up the tiles necessary for the object itself, not the water spray. If this was the case, we could then position the fountain such that it could spray into a fountain or pool, which would look really good.
    • Reduce the collision box size for "The Affirmation" drinks decor - it would look so much better if we could snap them together.
    • I would like the ability to place individual floor tile styles within curved sections instead of applying the same tile style across the entire curved segment.
    • Allow us to place the Garden Planter Box on flooring (it currently requires terrain).
    • Give us terrain and/or floor tiles that match the neighboring sidewalk/edges that border our lots in both style and color (there are some cases where you can get the same style but not color).
    • Let fences extend to the lot border.
    • The collision box is way to big for The Monolith; I see no reason why it should be larger than one tile (this isn't even an interactive object).
    • Let us set lighting color and intensity by room (we used to have this in TS3).
    • Let us place decor on walls oriented at 90 degrees to a door (why isn't this possible?).
    • This is a pie in the sky request, but I would love to be able to paint the individual segments of a wall separately (i.e. the 4 tiles that make up a wall). This would give us the ability to get very creative, even with the limited wall styles we have now.
    • Let us place curtains around/over doors.
    • Allow us to build stairs over a fountain or pool. If you try to do this, you get the error: "Modular stairs cannot be placed in water." That message might make sense if I was trying to place the lower end of the stairs in the water, but in this case I was trying to place the upper end well above it. It is like the game doesn't recognize which end of the stairs you are working with; I think it should treat upper differently than lower.
    • Gallery - Have the filter for un-owned objects set to false by default so that people don't miss out on seeing new lots just because of a bonus content object they don't have. The Gallery already does a good job of showing you the additional content on an item, and many people don't even know about the options in the advanced tab or that they're missing seeing anything. This will become a bigger issue as you implement expansion packs, store content, etc.
    • Please add an indication in the object catalogue if an object is not base game, i.e. bonus pack, and of course in the future, expansion pack, etc.

exp., store, etc.

Bugs/Glitches
    • Objects placed on walls next to adjacent roof on ground floor glitch and become invisible. This does not happen on higher levels. Objects show up when you lower the view to the ground floor, but when you go up a level, they disappear. The windows produce holes in the wall:
      windowholes_zpsce879ba2.jpg
      You can review this issue first hand if you download my Rock N Roll House and attempt to place an object or window on the left first floor near the bottom roof.

• "Script call failed" on Lemonade on a Sunny Day Torchiere lamp when attempting to change its color after having placed it. You can only select a color when placing it from the catalogue.

• Floor tiles (specific style was Brick and Blush) change orientation on their own after manually placing them.
      1. As I placed them:
      flooring1_zps638e5baa.jpg

2. What the game did to them:
      flooring2_zps7f0353c1.jpg
      I tried deleting and re-doing them many times in as many different ways as I could devise and it still happened in small areas (most of the walkway styles stayed in place). If you want to see it in action, download my Rock N Roll House and take a look at the paved area where the tables and chairs are placed by the pool.

• Floor lights placed on tiles within round deck sections are afterwards inaccessible; you cannot change colors, cannot grab them in build mode, etc. Here's an image of the area where I experienced this, but I experienced it in a second curved area, so it wasn't just a one-time issue:
      lightsstuck_zps527f00bf.jpg
      Once again, you can examine this problem for yourself in my Rock N Roll House build.

• Enlarged shelves prevent placement of objects on the other sideof a wall. The problem is that their collision box actually expands behind them. This shouldn't happen, as they are still objects intended for a single side of a wall, and regardless of how large they are, they should not be extending backwards behind it (and visually they don't, of course).
      shelfbehindwall_zps24d8485a.jpg

• The Heavenly Wall Decal's white and blue colors are reversed from what is shown in the palette vs. when you place the object.

Can anyone assist me with testing on one of the index items?

•10/2/14 Rotate landscaping with structure (requested by hmsdrco2001)

I had read somewhere that you could do this by holding down SHIFT and find that it is true, but it seems very glitchy. When I was experimenting with it, it seemed that if you rotated the lot multiple times in succession, it would delete the landscaping items. If you rotated once, deselected the tool, then selected it again and the lot with SHIFT, it would rotate properly. Also, a couple of times when I was rotating, the tool seemed to go into move mode instead, repositioning the structure to another area of the lot. If you have a little bit of time to test this and let me know if you are getting the same or different results, I'd appreciate it. For my test, I used a 30x20 lot and built a small structure (something like 5x5) and then placed a few trees close by. Don't forget to move the mailbox close to the structure as well!

I did more testing on this, and what I've discovered is that the process seems to work well as long as you shift-click the lot prior to each movement or rotation that you attempt. Also, you need to make sure that you move the mailbox (and any other objects on the outskirts) more to the interior of the lot, or you will get errors. Rotation is going to be tough on the uneven sized lots if you have got landscaping drawn out beyond the length of the shorter portion of the lot.

• CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    What an excellent list! I keep running into things that make me think "this sucks, it would've been better if...", but it looks you already got everything covered.
    [*] Floor tiles (specific style was Brick and Blush) change orientation on their own after manually placing them.
    1. As I placed them:
    flooring1_zps638e5baa.jpg

2. What the game did to them:
    flooring2_zps7f0353c1.jpg
    I tried deleting and re-doing them many times in as many different ways as I could devise and it still happened in small areas (most of the walkway styles stayed in place). If you want to see it in action, download my Rock N Roll House and take a look at the paved area where the tables and chairs are placed by the pool.

I don't even know how these tiles are supposed to work, they seem to do whatever they want to! Same with the foundation style with diamond shapes. The diamonds place themselves wherever they want to, there's no control over them (unless I'm missing something?). It often ends up with not evenly spread diamonds, which doesn't look as good as it could.
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
    Okay, everything's now up to date in the index as of 11/15/14 based on the latest feedback we've got. I will let @SimGuruHouts know that there are new items to review on Monday. As always, please keep us updated with problems you find and changes you'd like that would improve your building experience! :)
    @Cerrydd If you press CTRL-F, you can place 1/4 sized tiles which gives you many more options for designing patterns. They will *mostly* stay as you place them. But it's kind of like gambling. :p
  • PatandRoxannePatandRoxanne Posts: 1,031 Member
    I wish we can place columns in the center of squares instead of the corners..
    @PatandRoxanne we have asked for free column placement; it is definitely missed.
  • petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    I've got several items, I think many of them are listed, I'll compile them when I have time. Just from quickly skimming though I didn't see these.

In the Sims 3, lights snapped to fence posts. They do not in Sims 4 at, least not on the little fence I used for Contemporary Chateau. I would like to see this return as this is a kind of a bummer.

Why does the design tool not work on every item that comes with a set of swatches, like stairs and wall coverings? It's annoying when you want to go back and change the color on a set of stairs, but since the design tool won't work on them you have to delete them, go back and find the stairs from the menu, then replace them in the new color. It would be much more efficient and simple if the design tool would just apply to them in the first place.

Wall coverings with trims: I have a like-hate relationship with the auto placement of wall trims. It's cool and saves some time when your using that wall covering in a conventional/as intended manner, but lame and limiting when you want to use that wall cover in a more creative, unconventional manner. It would be nice if there was a way to place where you want the wall trims to be manually.

Several of the windows and doors are glitched, where the color swatch applies to the outside of the door/window, but not to the inside. It just stays all white on the inside. This is annoying when color choices are really limited to begin with.

That's it for now.
    sigg.gif

@petalbot we do have your first three on the list, but I haven't noticed your issue with the doors and windows. If possible, could you list the specific ones?
  • Tart4cusTart4cus Posts: 14 New Member
    edited November 2014
    if you have an enclosed raised porch and fill the whole length of the porch with stairs the doors and window vanish leaving wholes.

I would love to see Glass ceiling tiles and also ceilings we can decorate or at least color. half size stairs with right angled option. Not sure if this has been mentioned but an option to tint the glass or add privacy glass would be real good. Wall height adjustable on a slider the same as foundations. would also be good to be able to drag windows to the size you want width and height. copy and past rooms on the fly Ctrl c Ctrl v . The ability to be able to edit neighborhoods some times little things like trees have a habit of getting in the way.

Maxis to remove pirated lots from the gallery when they have been flagged as such not just hidden from the complainers view also and option to report the item correctly as pirated.

Also maybe nice to have a 30 day list of gallery items as well as 7 and all time.

I build a lot and a good number of my builds do not appear on the 7 day download list when they have enough downloads to do so? Example of this is StarDrive Generator by me TART4CUS has 65 downloads 25 loves and does not appear on either of the 7 day download lists. was created 15/11/14

Sorry if I have repeated previously mentioned items.
    Post edited by Tart4cus on
    The Windows that have the color swatch issue are:

For small wall heights:
    • Pessimist's Porthole window
    • Narrow Outlook window
    • Porthole Peeper window
    • Fanestral Maneuvers in the Dark window
    • The Clapper window
    • Arched Door with Double Panes
    • Double Door with Sidelights and Faux Columns
    • Framed Double Door

For medium wall heights:
    • Double Door with Arch, Fanlight, and Sidelights

Pictures

The color swatches work on one side of these doors and windows
    windowglitch1.jpg

windowglitch2.jpg

windowglitch3.jpg

But the color swatches do not work on the other side
    windowglitch4.jpg

These doors and windows all stay white on one side no matter what color swatch is picked.
    windowglitch.jpg

sigg.gif

• ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    I would love spiral staircases~ I think they look so nice o:)
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    petalbot wrote: »
    The Windows that have the color swatch issue are:

For small wall heights:
    • Pessimist's Porthole window
    • Narrow Outlook window
    • Porthole Peeper window
    • Fanestral Maneuvers in the Dark window
    • The Clapper window
    • Arched Door with Double Panes
    • Double Door with Sidelights and Faux Columns
    • Framed Double Door

For medium wall heights:
    • Double Door with Arch, Fanlight, and Sidelights

Pictures

The color swatches work on one side of these doors and windows
    windowglitch1.jpg

windowglitch2.jpg

windowglitch3.jpg

But the color swatches do not work on the other side
    windowglitch4.jpg

These doors and windows all stay white on one side no matter what color swatch is picked.
    windowglitch.jpg

I think this works as intended. In real life, many doors are colored at the outside, but just plain white on the inside.
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    Pffff, my current build is driving me crazy. Making small changes gets rid of all kinds of stuff that haven't got anything to do with it :s

tumblr_nf9qiamCjZ1s873l7o1_400.jpg

I'm about to paint the interior of that little tower, and it gets rid of both doors AND a pillar that isn't even on the same level. And that's just the little tower. When I'm done painting the entire interior, I can probably start all over again, re-applying windows and door and pillars and whatnot. It also happened when I extended the foundation near the entrance (ground floor), aside from some doors connected to the foundation, it also deleted a couple of pillars on the third floor.

I'm guessing it has something to do with enlarged objects bugging things? I almost never use enlarged objects, and I doubt I ever will again once I finish this piece :p
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
    @petalbot and @DieterPrivate: Feature or bug, that is definitely the question! I could see it either way. I had already requested the ability to enable separate colors for front vs. backs of doors and windows, but I meant for that to be within our control!

@Tart4cus Ah, the glitch you're reporting seems to be another twist on the vanishing doors/windows bug @RyeCris16 demonstrated on page 5. Objects also disappear if you place them on the walls. It's again a graphical glitch that you don't see until you go up a floor. And very interesting that, as you said, it doesn't happen unless the stairs take up that entire space. Here's a couple of pictures of this glitch in action, so that Maxis can take a look:

Ground Floor View
    groundfloor1_zps9e7f966f.jpg

2nd Floor View
    2ndfloor1_zpsb8057069.jpg

As for your requests, we've already got skylights, re-colorable ceilings, and copying modular objects on the list (and for the rooms, you can already save one to the Gallery and then place it from there - not as quick as a CTRL-C, CTRL-V, granted, but still effective).

I like your tinted window request, especially if it let us make the windows reflective (I want to make more mirrored houses. :p ), but I'm guessing that asking for new windows with privacy glass would be more a more do-able request.

With regard to the adjustable wall height and dynamically sized windows, while I'd love to see these, I hesitate to add them to the list because I can see both being such a programmatic nightmare. When it comes to the foundation, nothing can be placed upon it, and there are no interactions that involve it - no doors, windows, décor, etc., so it's easy to see why they could put it on a slider. The only thing they had to worry about was getting the stairs to resize to the different heights. But with walls and windows, there would be so many interactions and other objects involved...you're really back to CFE at that point, I think (and I really don't want it back). Don't you think that if they just added half height walls along with a couple more levels and just let us place multiple windows per tile, it would be enough to get most of what we want with regard to more complex architecture?

Yes, it would be great to edit the neighborhoods! I'm shocked we don't already have that one on the list. :o

Regarding the Gallery, I'll add your 30 day request, but I'd like to direct you to this thread where we've discussed plagiarism and possible solutions. I believe that the Gurus, while never formally acknowledging it, are well aware of it, and I do have a request on our list for the "Original By" to stick unless the lot is bulldozed.

@ByondTime89 it's on the list!

@Cerrydd Yes, it's your enlarged shelves causing the problem. Shelves in particular are tricky when sized up. Their collision box extends both further down and out in front as well as out in back (behind the wall). I wouldn't say to give up on them entirely, but you need to use them well away from other objects, and it takes some experimentation to figure out just how far is safe.
    Considering that all other doors and windows behave in such a way that the color swatches color both sides of the object, I'm inclined to think this is a bug.
    sigg.gif

• Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited November 2014
    I am working on a modern style house and came across some doors that have "issues" LOL.

First one is the Simple Wooden Double Door, it has a "masking" (no idea what it is) around it:
    11-16-14_10-55nbspPM_zpsbbd7ce7f.png

The other one is the Simple Glass Double Door, and as you can tell from the picture..... uhm it's not glass! LOL and it looks just like the one above!

11-16-14_10-56nbspPM_zps83455a65.png

Sorry if these have already been mentioned! :|
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
    @Tiki5872 we already had reported the door with the glitch. As for the Simple "Glass" Double Door, now that you mention it, that's definitely odd. I will ask about it.
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    I was wondering about that door as well :sweat_smile:
    I guess it could be non transparent glass? But it sure doesn't look like it.
  • hirondelle09hirondelle09 Posts: 175 Member
    So happy to find this thread! Working on my latest build literally had me so frustrated. It would be amazing if we were able to place friezes individually, instead of having the game do it automatically by room. I had a lot of trouble with that because of the more complicated design with many rooms, and the friezes keep disappearing/changing.
    disneylegacy.jpg?w=764&h=261