Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    tckoltckol Posts: 47 Member
    Does anyone else get a glitch with the Modern Solid double doors (non Glass) for single story? In my game the frame seems to have an additional white frame that bleeds around the walls past the 2x1 mesh.
  • Options
    DippyDesignsDippyDesigns Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited October 2014
    I am having a problem with columns today, it seems I cannot place one column on top of another one unless there is a floor in between? If I delete the floor after placing a column, the column gets deleted too? If this can't be fixed then we need bigger columns? I'll attach a picture to show my problem...

10516730_1483845671876618_1029518234343410777_n.jpg?oh=9410b21fd986bdd1602fd56090250a6d&oe=54B66E55&__gda__=1420977727_38466f78b1013fabd1779ab5a4014394

Edited to add that when I went back into the lot all the doors, windows have gone?! When I try to replace them it is telling me I can't intersect other objects? Not sure what is going on with this build?!

10671504_1483856108542241_1318401156843620433_n.jpg?oh=10abe5cda2568868005bf3fa313c6de6&oe=54C3A33B&__gda__=1425246896_77839781eb0cbc49362a3511e0aaf6a7
    My Origin ID is DippyDesigns

DIPPY DOODLE on Facebook

644362_1491605541100631_1472781576571833276_n.jpg?oh=c0019c8ce2de98a0158c1aba60509bc8&oe=57C1A708

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited October 2014
    rosemow wrote: »
    Do you think that the buydebug items might show up if the simmer had buydebug mode turned on when they placed the build into their world? @BryonyRae I was just wondering if perhaps that might work?

@rosemow, that's a good question. I haven't tested this; has anyone else? If not, perhaps you and I can arrange a quick test.

Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Thank you for making a feedback thread about build mode. :) I wanna share mine.

While Build Mode has been improved, there are my suggestions that need to be added and more improved. I'm also listing the bugs that I've encountered. Since some of them are already mentioned, I'm going to suggest some things that haven't mentioned yet:
    -Agave Adobe seems to have trims even though it doesn't foundations. Here is the pic:
    pWo8i7k.png

-Possible placing between an object and column, especially if I want to place a bench beside a column.
    fCoc016.png

Well, that's all my ideas I got. More to come :)
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    @hmsdrco2001, you gave us a ton of great feedback! I have added most of your requests to the index.
    Gameplay issues relevant to builders

-It would be nice to be able to sell everything in the family inventory with the click of one button instead of selling off each individual item one by one.

-Reading books is always a great way for Sims to improve their skills. However, there's an issue when the Sim goes to work or off the lot for any reason and places the book in very random locations instead of putting it in his/her inventory or on the bookshelf. That leaves the player searching all over the place for that book to continue reading after the Sim returns home.

-The cheat options to fill Sim or household needs and disable need degeneration are great for builders, photographers, and movie makers. I've noticed that those cheats need to be continually reactivated, though, when Sims return home from work or go off of the lot. It would be nice for the game to recognize that those cheats are still active no matter where the Sim or household is located.

I did not add the above live mode requests to the index because, as valuable as they are, I want to keep this thread build mode focused. I definitely think you should get this feedback to the devs though.
    -You mentioned that fences snap up to the foundation level, but I found that it depends on which direction you draw the fence. If you start at the foundation, a foundation level is added to the bottom of the fence, but if you start away from the foundation and draw towards the foundation, the fence will stay on the ground as you can see in this photo where the hedge fence stays on the ground as it connects to the foundation.

Thanks very much for this tip. I was able to verify it in game in one of my recent builds, so I removed that entry from the index.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    Manssom wrote: »
    Manssom wrote: »
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Manssom, I don't like the default gallery images either. However, I'm hesitant to add this as a request to EA because I can understand why it is set up the way it is and why they might not want to change it. I'm guessing that the primary reason is to prevent posting unsavory or irrelevant images. I also think that we will eventually get a program or mod to do this like we had in TS3 anyway. I'd like to take a "wait and see" approach on it for now.
    I was thinking more about a game feature that allows the player to choose and rearrange pictures.
    That way they don't have to worry about irrelevant images being posted :) But it wouldn't surprise me
    if someone else comes up with something like the image changer for TS3. Maybe the same person, who knows.
    Quoting this from the second page. Not sure why you didn't add this to the list of feedback?
    A feature in game that allows us to take pictures and attach them to our builds can't do any harm.

It's worth asking in my opinion :)

Just an oversight - it's in there now.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    This post discusses and displays the Simple Wooden Double Door frame graphics glitch:
    tckol wrote: »
    Does anyone else get a glitch with the Modern Solid double doors (non Glass) for single story? In my game the frame seems to have an additional white frame that bleeds around the walls past the 2x1 mesh.

You mean this one?

doorglitch_zps1fb8dcb6.jpg

Yep, noticed that in my last build. Seems to be a new problem stemming from a recent patch; the doors were okay before.

• Options
    Edited to add that when I went back into the lot all the doors, windows have gone?! When I try to replace them it is telling me I can't intersect other objects? Not sure what is going on with this build?!

10671504_1483856108542241_1318401156843620433_n.jpg?oh=10abe5cda2568868005bf3fa313c6de6&oe=54C3A33B&__gda__=1425246896_77839781eb0cbc49362a3511e0aaf6a7

I added your stacking columns request, Dippy. It's definitely by design that they don't stack at the moment, and I would love to see that changed. As for your intersecting objects error, did you resize any objects inside the house? Sometimes when you resize an object, its collision box sizes up as well, but it doesn't prevent you from placing it overlapping other objects; it will just delete them later and/or give you error messages when you try to place them.

• Options
    RyeCris16 wrote: »
    Thank you for making a feedback thread about build mode. :) I wanna share mine.

While Build Mode has been improved, there are my suggestions that need to be added and more improved. I'm also listing the bugs that I've encountered. Since some of them are already mentioned, I'm going to suggest some things that haven't mentioned yet:
    -Agave Adobe seems to have trims even though it doesn't foundations. Here is the pic:
    pWo8i7k.png

That is interesting - I took a look in game, and it definitely appears to be a graphic glitch associated with that lot. It happens even if you bulldoze and start from scratch. It didn't seem to be an issue on other lots. I will add it to the list.

As for your comment regarding column and bench placement, it's because the column has a 1 square collision box around it. If you hold down the ALT key while placing your bench, you can get it closer, but yeah, you can't place it right against the fence. I have a request in the index to reduce/eliminate collision boxes for non-interactive objects that I hope Maxis will consider; it is annoying. If they give us MOO at some point, it will no longer be an issue though.
  • Options
    Okay, the index is now revised and updated with all of the recent relevant feedback you guys have provided (if I missed something, let me know). I have some more coming soon as the result of my latest build, and I still need to provide some descriptions/images for some of the bugs/glitches we've identified. If you want to report a new bug or glitch, please do provide a full description and image(s) of the issue, so that I can refer to your post in the index. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I've got more feedback after completing my latest build:

Requests:
    • Please add taller traditional columns; while the modern columns can be stacked with a seamless look, the traditional columns look terrible that way.
    • Please add diagonal stairs.
    • Please add shutters as a separate wall décor object.
    • I would like to have a "replace with" tool for objects, so that you could easily replace like items with a different style without having to delete and re-add (think re-doing your kitchen counters and cabinets).
    • Allow us to place ceiling lights on the top floor of an open story area. Currently, you can place the ceiling lights prior to opening the levels, but you are unable to place them after the levels are open.
    • Add some 3 tile gates please.
    • Please ensure that objects of the same style type, i.e. shuttered windows, have the same color options; their color palettes are often different, and it's tough to get them to match. See examples below:

mismatchblue_zps4776a73e.jpg

mismatchbrown_zps567c7b5d.jpg

Bugs/Glitches:
    • Window color graphics glitch. If windows are placed below a certain point on some upper story walls, they will turn black in color. I had this happen a good deal in my most recent build (see images below). The problem did not seem to be caused or affected by interior lights, as I tried removing them altogether. I suspected exterior lighting, but I built a room around the exterior with no change. It was mystifying. I did find that the color could sometimes be affected by repositioning another nearby window further up the wall.

blackwindows1_zpsbe0831a1.jpg
      This first image shows the problem. The left window is darker than it should be, and the right one is black.

blackwindows2_zps2ac28e98.jpg
      This second image shows the effect of adjusting the second window up higher on the wall. It pops to its correct color and at the same time, the first window, which has not been adjusted, also has its color corrected.

blackwindowspt2_zpsc0465007.jpg
      This final image demonstrates that this problem only occurs on upper levels. Note that there was no interior lighting whatsoever in this room.
    • Update collision box detection when re-sizing objects. Currently, many objects collision boxes expand when they are resized, but the game still allows you to place them in a way that overlaps or touches other objects collision boxes. There doesn't appear to be any problem until you reload the lot, at which point many nearby objects will have vanished. Ideally, as I've already requested, the collision boxes would not expand at all (for non-interactive objects), but as it stands, it can be quite a headache. It would be better if the game would recognize the collision adjusted collision boxes right away and not allow you to place the resized object in such a way as to cause a conflict.
    • The exterior lighting in the game can cause some extreme hue changes that just don't make sense to me. For instance, in the screen shot below, you can see that two of the columns on my porch have turned an almost electric blue. The other two are not affected. I definitely expect some color changes as the time of day changes, but I would expect them in shades of grey, not actual hue changes.

bluecolumns_zps5569fc27.jpg
    • Some objects have unsightly shadows showing up beneath them when resized. In particular, I've noticed this with wall lights and some paintings:

resizedlights_zps4df01484.jpg

paintingshadows_zps67e3fc53.jpg
    • I experienced the Roof Wall Gap Glitch in a new way: it also occurs when more than 2 roofs are touching, but in this case, it only happens with the Half Gabled Roof. 2 roofs intersecting are fine, but add a third, and it causes wall gaps in the middle roof. Here are some images to demonstrate:

2roofsokay_zps4e549577.jpg

3roofsbad_zps7da1bae0.jpg
    • There are some strange things that happen with object colors and the interior lighting. It's like instead of just brightening or darkening an object's appearance, the hue itself gets changed, but it is inconsistent from object to object, and simply moving lights around or adding another light of the same type (and color and intensity) can make a huge difference. This problem was extremely frustrating for me in my last build. Here are some images:

First, a curtain I wanted to use that I thought would match the room décor - I was holding the object and hadn't placed it yet at this point:
      beforeplcurtain_zpsa07c4c4c.jpg

Now, after placing it, check out the color change:
      afterplcurtain_zps88bf9296.jpg

I was never able to get it to be the right (expected) color, no matter what I did with windows and lighting in that room.

Now this next room I would have suspected was haunted if I hadn't been building it prior to the release of ghosts!

First, the original way the colors looked when I set up the room:
      room1_zps78a6f9de.jpg

Now, I decide I want to change the lighting because the Snowball Pendant lamp is cheaper:
      room2_zps18c43842.jpg

Looks like it adds even more yellow, which perhaps is to be expected given the default color of lighting is warm white. So then, let's get rid of that light:
      room3_zpsa5ae91c8.jpg
      Um...alrighty then!

Again, trying to work out the colors in this room, but wanting to use only the Snowball Pendant lamps. If I add 3 lamps, I get everything to be approximately the same hue:

3lamps_zps1e6423cd.jpg

But when I remove a lamp (I'm on a budget here!), totally different:
      2lamps_zps6b493227.jpg

Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you all know that while he didn't post on the thread, SimGuruAaron tweeted to me today that he's taken a look at the updates and appreciates the thread!

gurushot_zps20a869cd.jpg

So let's keep up the good work. We're definitely getting the information to the right guy!
  • Options
    ReesesPiecesNo1ReesesPiecesNo1 Posts: 1,023 Member
    I think we should have more creativity with stairs. Split stairways, rounded stairs, able to create landings where stairs meet then continue to the top floor.

And the selection of front doors in the game suck. The available color combinations are too repetitive and don't mix with much.

Also, walk-out basements. I live in Colorado and walk-out basements are the best thing to have. Or at least more realistic basements, rather than the pit of blackness from the sims3.
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    @BryonyRae, what a terrific thread!! I really hope they are looking all of this over and trying to implement and/or fix the things that are needed. Most of the things I would suggest to add, have already been covered, but there is one thing that I did not see mentioned. It's about the friezes. If you are using them on a house that has a two story foyer (or something similar) the friezes will automatically go into that area of the house because it no longer recognizes it as a room. They really need to make the friezes to be placed manually instead of automatically so the player/builder can dictate where they need to go.

15196006315_6f50dcbc50_c.jpg09-09-14_11-04 PM-2 by rafanan_felicia, on Flickr
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    sarahewhysarahewhy Posts: 131 Member
    I agree with all of this. I would also like the ability to individually paint the wall sections on the gabled roof instead of automatically painting the entire inside and outside automatically. This would help with architectural detailing, as well as allowing my attic rooms to not have to match my exteriors.
  • Options
    sarahewhysarahewhy Posts: 131 Member
    In general, I think the more automatic placement of things "room style" can be nice sometimes, but being able to turn these features off (like automatic counters) would be much appreciated by more experienced builders.
  • Options
    jol1990jol1990 Posts: 257 Member
    @sarahewhy i completely agree, more often then not the automatic placement of friezes, frames and fences get me in more trouble then they do good, especially with complicated builds. It would also be nice to place tiles wherever you want if there is a grid visible on the top floors so you dont have to make an extra room to put tiles on it. some more roof options would be nice too as we are now limited to only a few roof types, there is no hexagonal or round roofs to be found and it would be nice if that could be in the game. I am enjoying the build mode quite alot for interior decorating, but for the outside it just gets very frustrating, like for instance, if you have 2 structures that are not attached to each other, why cant both of them be different wall hights? i understand the foundations but seperate wall heights would enable us to make so much more detailed structures.
    mETeT9z.jpg

Check out my buildings on the gallery under my name or on my building showcase! http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/794210/j0l1990-s-building-showcase/p3
    To find me on the gallery, look for J0L1990 thats the number 0, not an O!
  • Options
    KraftySimKraftySim Posts: 277 Member
    What a great thread!!!
  • Options
    ReesesPiecesNo1ReesesPiecesNo1 Posts: 1,023 Member
    I want garages and cars that back out of the garage like in the sims2
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited October 2014
    More suggestions:
    - I'll echo your diagonal stair suggestion, plus please put functional stair corners, the inner and outer ones, that can be put in foundations.
    - Modular sofas. Similar to counters, and cabinets, placements can be automatic or manual.
    - Split-level foundations. The Sims 2 Expansion Pack (forgot what EP had that one) had that kind of object, but unlike TS2, doors can be placed above split-level foundation.

More to come. :)

Edit: Wait, almost forgot:
    - Curved fountain, plus ability to adjust it.
    Post edited by RyeCris16 on
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    Please allow us to place collumns down without using the grid?... just let us place it whereever we want with holding the alt key?
    mETeT9z.jpg

Check out my buildings on the gallery under my name or on my building showcase! http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/794210/j0l1990-s-building-showcase/p3
  • Options
    DippyDesignsDippyDesigns Posts: 1,809 Member
    sarahewhy wrote: »
    I agree with all of this. I would also like the ability to individually paint the wall sections on the gabled roof instead of automatically painting the entire inside and outside automatically. This would help with architectural detailing, as well as allowing my attic rooms to not have to match my exteriors.

I have struggled with this too.

My Origin ID is DippyDesigns

DIPPY DOODLE on Facebook

644362_1491605541100631_1472781576571833276_n.jpg?oh=c0019c8ce2de98a0158c1aba60509bc8&oe=57C1A708

• Options
    Puncky99Puncky99 Posts: 338 Member
    As a Sims 'builder' I agree with everything people asked for. And please EA, do something about the indoor lights. I use a mod at the moment but its still not as it used to be. It will make a huge difference if that is officially fixed. And please, please more and matching colours for all the objects.
    Onderschrift_Luna_1_met_Logo_zpsbwcad4il.jpg

EA ID: Simmie99
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/MoonshineSim
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MoonshineSim/
    Please visit my website for more of my creations.
  • Options
    @ReesesPiecesNo1 Definitely agree with your first post. We've already got stairs and basements noted as well as a request for more doors/windows and better/more colors styles. As for the garages and cars request, while I'd like to see them make a comeback, I haven't added that as a specific build mode request because I think the functional cars are really more of a gameplay decision on EA's part. If they do decide to implement them, adding garage content probably goes without question. Currently, if you want to get the look of a garage in build mode, I have seen it done quite cleverly; I think if you check out eHaught's thread, you'll see one example. And of course, you can enlarge the toy cars.

@Tiki5872 Thanks! I would like the ability to place all of the edging manually too, and I have that bullet point, but I put it under decorating and should move it to roofing. I will also state friezes explicitly with it. One thing though; I wasn't able to duplicate your issue. I created a two story, opened a foyer area, and then applied friezes, and they did not go inside the house. Are you sure your foyer area was drawn as a room? Here's an image of mine (granted, nothing complex going on there!):

10-17-14_9-55nbspAM_zps5c3f0730.png

@sarahewhy Great suggestions! I have added them to the index.

@joi1990 We've got additional roof types including hexagonal and round requested. We've also requested that rooms be treated modularly in terms of height.

@KraftySim Thank you!

@RyeCris16 You're asking for half height stairs, right? So that we can do L's and half height landings, etc. If so, that's already noted. If not, then please explain a bit more for me. Modular furniture was already requested. As for split level foundations, if you could just apply foundations (and their heights) modularly, i.e. to specific rooms, wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? If so, that has already been requested. Thanks for the suggestion re: curved fountains. I thought we already had that, but we don't! Yeah, definitely curved fountains and pools! Adding it to the index.

@jol1990 Isn't that frustrating? Yes, we've already got it on the list. It was one of the earliest things that bugged me. :P

@Puncky99 Yep, can't wait for better lighting! We added that one pretty early on. :)
  • Options

BryonyRae wrote: »

@Tiki5872 Thanks! I would like the ability to place all of the edging manually too, and I have that bullet point, but I put it under decorating and should move it to roofing. I will also state friezes explicitly with it. One thing though; I wasn't able to duplicate your issue. I created a two story, opened a foyer area, and then applied friezes, and they did not go inside the house. Are you sure your foyer area was drawn as a room? Here's an image of mine (granted, nothing complex going on there!):

it mainly happens when you start adding fences, then the room thinks it is outside, if you just do it like that its fine.
    mETeT9z.jpg