Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I thought I was able to play offline?

So earlier today I couldn't connect to the internet and this error message popped up:

error_message_zpsa51ec605.jpg

Granted it's not that much of a deal yet, after all the premium edition doesn't have THAT much more content but if they set up any sort of store that is connected to Origin this is going to get annoying fast. I don't want to loose half my objects because I'm not currently online. I was assured this would work perfectly as an offline game so is this a bug or something I should've been made aware of before purchase?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    So earlier today I couldn't connect to the internet and this error message popped up:

Granted it's not that much of a deal yet, after all the premium edition doesn't have THAT much more content but if they set up any sort of store that is connected to Origin this is going to get annoying fast. I don't want to loose half my objects because I'm not currently online. I was assured this would work perfectly as an offline game so is this a bug or something I should've been made aware of before purchase?

Odd I haven't seen that issue myself and I do have some "bonus" content too. I've had my Origin turned-off via the in-game menu options while leaving the actual Origin client still running.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Wow, so your content won't show up unless you allow Origin to log into the internet? You know, I went off line in Origin but I could still access the gallery which I thought the game was offline, too. But the Gallery still could access the internet until I think it got patched.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Crackseed wrote: »

Odd I haven't seen that issue myself and I do have some "bonus" content too. I've had my Origin turned-off via the in-game menu options while leaving the actual Origin client still running.

Try not leaving Origin running and see what happens you may get this message, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Wow, so your content won't show up unless you allow Origin to log into the internet? You know, I went off line in Origin but I could still access the gallery which I thought the game was offline, too. But the Gallery still could access the internet until I think it got patched.

Not sure, it sounds like a bug - I have bonus content like that and going offline does not give me such a message nor disable it.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    edited September 2014
    My entire computer wasn't connected so neither game nor origin could connect. Which is probably why this happened, but still... As I said not much of a bother now but in the future that might be irritating.

Edit because half my post got swallowed before...
    My entire computer wasn't connected so neither game nor origin could connect. Which is probably why this happened, but still... As I said not much of a bother now but in the future that might be irritating.

Edit because half my post got swallowed before...

Ahh, that's something that I've seen happen in multiple EA/Origin linked games. I've had my net connection die off and because my ME3 couldn't validate with Origin for the INITIAL sign in, my bonus items were disabled.

Kind of silly but yeah, that makes sense.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member

man that's messed up. I remember when I was playing how I tried to close Origin & it said I couldn't because Sims 4 was running.
    They say you can go offline through Origin but I didn't try it.
    It will get nasty real quick if people buy stuff, & their stuff gets removed because they are not online.

• sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member
    I reckon that item is a gnome, isn't it?
    beXSQcW.jpg

Not sure, it sounds like a bug - I have bonus content like that and going offline does not give me such a message nor disable it.

But try this, X out of the Origin since it won't actually let it exit, It will tell you you can't since the game is running so once you set it to go offline, just X out in the top right hand corner. Then go into task manager and stop the Origin 32. exe process...see what happens to your extra content or if the game does anything differently.

But try this, X out of the Origin since it won't actually let it exit, It will tell you you can't since the game is running so once you set it to go offline, just X out in the top right hand corner. Then go into task manager and stop the Origin 32. exe process...see what happens to your extra content or if the game does anything differently.

I think we figured it out - if she never connected in the first place Origin didn't "verify" aka it will lock out bonus items as I've had this happen when my net connection was down for other games like DA2 and ME3.

If you've connected that initial time, even if you lose connection/kill it after, there shouldn't be an issue.
    y9UdOhq.png
    O.K. that's good to know, but wow, that means each time you have new stuff it has to be validated?
    O.K. that's good to know, but wow, that means each time you have new stuff it has to be validated?

Well, consider that you have to have Origin launch before any Sims 4 game will play, it's kind of a small grump since it will validate automatically and be fine even if it loses connect after the fact.
    y9UdOhq.png
    But it must have verified it before, since I played with that content online? Does that mean I have to be online every time I start the game? Or am I misunderstanding something here...
    edited September 2014
    My understanding (and I'd need to try a quick test here to re-verify) is that since any Origin game requires Origin to launch before the game will play, this basically is validation. However, if for some reason your net connection is down or you have no way to get online, if Origin can't connect it will probably give you that message since it can't validate. If you have a normal connection Origin validates, even if you obviously go offline mode, drop Origin off, etc.

This is what I experienced when playing ME3 with all my bonus content and the only time I ever got my content "disabled" was if I tried to play without an active net connection due to problems.

It still basically means that yes, we have to be connected initially to verify but after that it's fine.

Edit: Best way to test if this still functions that way is to put Origin into offline mode, restart and launch it/try to play the game. The only potential snag with this is I don't remember if Origin auto-onlines after a restart or remembers the offline preference like Steam does.
    y9UdOhq.png
    Thanks for clarifying that. :) Shame though, it'll mean I have to be very careful about buying extra content - I played TS3 offline quite a lot...
    @Crackseed, she just said it was already validated and she played with that content but now she can't. She is asking does she have to remain connected to the internet which isn't what they promised.
    Thanks for clarifying that. :) Shame though, it'll mean I have to be very careful about buying extra content - I played TS3 offline quite a lot...

It should work the same way really - but this may be something to watch/test more as it would be a point of complaint if they've forced online validation to even have bonus content. I don't think any DLC/EP stuff will be affected but bonus content like say your special editions is probably the offending items in this case.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited September 2014
    Just my thoughts but I think that everything is on their server including things bought so that's why Origin has to be online to connect with EA server & the things in game & in the gallery are on the servers as well.

ETA: When any company puts things on their server if you buy something you're not really buying it because you won't own it. As long as its on their server they own it.
    What you're paying for basically is the time to use or borrow it. Just like a cloud. Legally the company can say its on our servers its our property. Which is why many who used to use Adobe won't anymore since they switched to a cloud. Its cutting into an artists livelihood.
    @Crackseed, she just said it was already validated and she played with that content but now she can't. She is asking does she have to remain connected to the internet which isn't what they promised.

Yeah I know, but she did also mention that this time she tried to play, she wasn't connected to the internet at all when starting up, which is why I suspect that if Origin can't do the initial validation, then it's locking the content. Which IS NOT a bug but an annoyance -_-
    y9UdOhq.png
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Is this the same if you have the disk. You can't play off line unless you go online first.
    Evalen wrote: »
    Is this the same if you have the disk. You can't play off line unless you go online first.

Well since the install from disc STILL launches Origin to do the install, it's the same end result. You can probably install w/o being connected (if you'd lost connection, yada yada) but for the game to validate after an install/activate bonus content, you'd need that initial connection from Origin.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    The game was validated when installed from disk, it shouldn't have to be validated every time you play, once is enough. I didn't play 3 on line at all, and I don't want Origin to open up every time I play. I didn't sign on in 3 unless I was purchasing something, I don't want to have too sign on in 4 unless I'm doing the same thing. I think this is the way they keeps track of the players. Just my opinion
    vcosley wrote: »
    The game was validated when installed from disk, it shouldn't have to be validated every time you play, once is enough. I didn't play 3 on line at all, and I don't want Origin to open up every time I play. I didn't sign on in 3 unless I was purchasing something, I don't want to have too sign on in 4 unless I'm doing the same thing. I think this is the way they keeps track of the players. Just my opinion

Thank you for clarifying then - it works differently than ME3 did (but that would make sense too since ME3 had an MP component) but I'm glad you only have that initial validation required though it does make me wonder what prompted the OP's error message.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • I_Luv_LindsayI_Luv_Lindsay Posts: 294 Member
    I always disconnect before I play and login to origin offline and it hasn't happened to me.
    I'm the queen bee
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member

I can't access the Gallery unless logged on and updated.