Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lynnwood's ISBI Challenge Rules for TS4! - 3/15 Growing Together Rules Update!

Comments

• chxr1zxrdchxr1zxrd Posts: 17 Member
    > @chxr1zxrd said:
    > I'm only a few years behind on finding this challenge, I've also never done a challenge before. This will be my first and I'm excited. Hopefully will be placing on my Tumblr blog as well.

Can't edit but wanted to ask if there are any rules on using Mods in gameplay with this challenge?
  • LynnwoodLynnwood Posts: 2,980 Member
    edited March 2023
    @thewolfsalem - Woo, welcome back! As it's a free action to change aliens to and from disguise, then I'm gonna say it'll be a free action for werewolves to go to and from fur form. As for the points . . . strictly speaking, no? But at the same time if he's earning them on autonomy . . . hrm, that one's a bit of a gray area.

@chxr1zxrd - Welcome to the ISBI crazies! Hope you have fun! You can use mods as long as they don't affect game play (by making things somehow easier. IE Sims are somehow smarter with your mod than they would be without so don't fail as often, etc).
    @Lynnwood Thank you for the welcome! I started a Tumblr to post the chaos thats im about to endure here: https://www.tumblr.com/the-essential-simmer/713084569507774464/wo-isbi-chapter-101?source=share
    I wish I was far enough along on this forum journey to be able to post photos, but Ethan Wo is my TH. He's a geek, erratic, and an insider. He works as a freelance programmer. A new career path that I've never played before! He lives in Mt. Komorebi, a town that I've never played in before. He's become good friends with is neighbors, and he has a Pekingese named Nanja who loves affection and is extremely loyal. He met Kayla Flemming at a celebrity meet and greet and the sparks flew. They're now living together and engaged. However Ethan is a serial romantic for his aspiration so I'm not sure if she's going to be his forever partner... 😈
  • silveRose82_silveRose82_ Posts: 281 Member
    chxr1zxrd wrote: »
    I wish I was far enough along on this forum journey to be able to post photos, but Ethan Wo is my TH. He's a geek, erratic, and an insider. He works as a freelance programmer. A new career path that I've never played before! He lives in Mt. Komorebi, a town that I've never played in before. He's become good friends with is neighbors, and he has a Pekingese named Nanja who loves affection and is extremely loyal. He met Kayla Flemming at a celebrity meet and greet and the sparks flew. They're now living together and engaged. However Ethan is a serial romantic for his aspiration so I'm not sure if she's going to be his forever partner... 😈

Woo, welcome and enjoy the crazy. Sounds like you are off to a really fun start so far! What a lot of fun.
    Ethan used his own autonomy today and dumped his side chick immediately because he saw her husband kiss her on the cheek.... right as he was about to ask to woohoo in the hot springs... ugh
  • thewolfsalemthewolfsalem Posts: 21 Member
    > @Lynnwood said:
    > @thewolfsalem - Woo, welcome back! As it's a free action to change aliens to and from disguise, then I'm gonna say it'll be a free action for werewolves to go to and from fur form. As for the points . . . strictly speaking, no? But at the same time if he's earning them on autonomy . . . hrm, that one's a bit of a gray area.
    >
    Yeah, that's what I thought about the points, specially because some of the werewolf perks can make the Challenge easier. Lou actually comes with a perk that lets him nap on every spot, so I think I'm not gonna mess with them for the sake of the Challenge! Thanks!

@chxr1zxrd welcome to the Challenge! Looks like You're having fun, the serial romantic aspiration is always a fun one! Good look with It, I just completes it last generation in my own Challenge lol
  • RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    You all are having way too much fun with this challenge. It is great to see! Keep up the good work chaos. I'll keep lurking. :smiley:
  • SimpleSamSimpleSam Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, I’m about to start this challenge but I have a question. If my torch holder gets abducted by aliens and comes back pregnant, can I choose the alien child as heir? Thanks in advance and I’m really excited to begin.
  • thewolfsalemthewolfsalem Posts: 21 Member
    @SimpleSam yes, the alien kid can totally be the heir/heiress! I hope you have a lot of fun with the challenge!

@Rawla nothing like lurking on the challenges forum lol I'm glad You're having fun with us :D
    @SimpleSam I can't wait to hear about an alien torch holder!!!

Also... I kinda cheated. I just got the realistic birth mod and I needed to test it out for the first time so I kinda did like 10 free moves for my sims partner just to try it out. but #noregrets
    Update on the Wo legacy. I finished testing out the realistic birth mod… made Kayla extremely tired being in labor and she passed out 5 times. So my score is now -20. Ethan also attempted to get his side piece preggers so we’re waiting to see how that happens. But in our household we now have Ethan Wo, Kayla Flemming, and babygirl Ivory Wo
    https://www.tumblr.com/the-essential-simmer/715065353701605376/wo-isbi-chapter-106 Link to my tumblr documenting the Wo legacy so far
    Update on the Wo legacy. I finished testing out the realistic birth mod… made Kayla extremely tired being in labor and she passed out 5 times. So my score is now -20. Ethan also attempted to get his side piece preggers so we’re waiting to see how that happens. But in our household we now have Ethan Wo, Kayla Flemming, and babygirl Ivory Wo

Sounds like quite the eventful pregnancy. Good luck as you continue!
    edited April 2023
    https://tumblr.com/the-essential-simmer/715356148168032256/wo-isbi-chapter-107?source=share

I can finally share links to my posts! WOOHOO. Ivory has aged into an infant and autonomous motherhood is looking good on Kayla. Ethan is settling in nicely as well!
    I have another update for the Otts family finally! I hope you enjoy it!
    Calvin Otts: 08
  • HannahCTHannahCT Posts: 10 New Member
    Have you considered updating the scoring to give +5 for the Top Notch Infant trait and maybe -5 for Unhappy Infant? For a life stage that lasts a week and requires lots of input from the caregiver it makes sense to have a reward to work towards, and that matches the +5 for Top Notch Toddler.

I've recently started a new playthrough of this challenge (having done the first gen and a bit into the second gen a few years ago) and I've chosen to add that rule to my personal scoresheet. My first infant just earned Top Notch Infant when she became a toddler, so it's definitely possible - although I earned my TH enough satisfaction points to buy Steel Bladder and Seldom Sleepy before she started her family and she's a gardener who always chooses 'work from home' so she has plenty of time to care for her family.

I'm planning to have 6 children in quick succession in the first generation so I expect it will be harder to get with the younger children as the TH will have much more on her plate during their infancy! In my previous playthrough I had 6 kids in gen 1 and they all maxed their toddler and child skills, earned As in school and high school and got 5 (or in one case 4) positive character values traits but it did require a lot of work from the TH to keep everyone on track.

I play in a 64-tile tiny home with the tiles dedicated to bedrooms, bathrooms (2 toilets, 1 shower, 1 bath/shower combo all in separate rooms, sinks just outside the bathrooms to minimise sims walking in on each other) and a 2x3 kitchen with the fridge and 1 counter accessible to everyone and the stove and another counter blocked by a gate locked to everyone but the TH. The living, dining and skill building objects all go in a central courtyard area covered by a glass roof. The tiny home double skill bonus plus the study spot lot trait really speeds up skill gains - for example toddlers typically get all (or almost all) of the first potty training level done in one training session.

Sending a NTH spouse to university is another good choice - they'll gain extra points if they do well in classes and can then enter multiple careers close to the top and (if you can get their skills high enough) get points for maxing more than one career and bring in some good money in the process. I'm also planning to send my TH to university once her family is a little older so she can max out some careers for points once one of her kids takes over as TH.
    Update on the post above: I looked more closely at the scoring and it's actually 5 points for happy toddler and 10 points for top notch toddler. I've still gone with 5 points for top notch infant as it seems fairly straightforward to get - I've received it for every infant I've aged up since the update, including 3 ISBI infants.

One problem I did have with trying to have all 6 kids one after the other was that with the eldest child as a toddler with 3 infant/newborn siblings she got the 'ignored' sentiment and was then sad for 2 hours every time the parent concerned entered the room she was in. It was bad enough when it was only the TH she was reacting to, but then she got that sentiment from her dad too. Meanwhile kid number 2 had aged up into a toddler and got the 'ignored' sentiment for my TH. I did still have time to get all the toddler skills maxed, but didn't get much chance to work on the parenthood character values.

Having had another look at the life state lengths I realised that I had forgotten about the teen stage increasing to 21 days when High School Years came out. The reason for having all 6 kids really close together was so that by the time the eldest reached YA and I had to start making decisions about who would be the next torch holder I had as much information as possible about their younger siblings - ideally having aged them up to teenagers so they had 2 traits and ther adult aspirations (unless they rolled a teen aspiration).

By the time I realised I could have spaced the babies out a bit more and had an easier time of it my TH was about to have baby 5. I was also rethinking the degree my spouse was pursuing (Computer Science, which he was studying when I met him) as the jobs it leads to require really high levels in skills he wouldn't practice by himself unless I used a club (which I was trying to avoid doing).

Therefore I'm going to start again with the revised strategy of having 3 kids close together (delaying every birthday of the oldest kid by 1 day and delaying the child and teen birthdays of the second oldest kid) and then having a second group of 3 kids close together with the birth of kid 4 on the day kid 3 ages up to a child. I'm also going to choose a spouse who isn't already at university and enroll them myself so that I can choose their degree myself (Economics, Psychology and Villainy seem to be the best options).
    @HannahCT I have been enjoying your notes/insights and progress. :smile:
  • carlimactcarlimact Posts: 766 Member
    Update from Me!
    Makayla 1.4
    04-06-23_7-22-41%C2%A0PM.png

Blogger: Click!
    Tumblr: Click!
    @Rawla Thanks!

I'm almost at the end of week 4 in Sophia Freeman's latest attempt and she just aged up Samuel (the first gen 1 baby) into a child. Opal will be aging up as soon as Sophia gets home from work and bakes a cake, while Philip has another 3-4 days before he ages into a child. (I'm planning for each gen to have some kind of theme to their names based on the name of the TH parent. Sophia's theme is to spell 'Sophia' with the first letters of her kids' names.)

Having the gap after kid 3 definitely worked better, although toddlers get the 'ignored' sentiment ridiculously easily when their parents interact with infants in front of them. Once it appeared when my TH was holding an infant while talking to a toddler (having done several interactions completely focused on the toddler just beforehand). If it's going to trigger that easily it ought to have a much shorter duration, so I decided I was going to save regularly and backtrack a little bit if 'ignored' popped up when the toddler was not actually being ignored. I only had to do that a few times before I worked out how to avoid triggering it - you have to make sure the toddler is busy doing something before interacting with an infant in the same room as them. I haven't had the sentiment pop up at all when parents interact with other toddlers in front of idle toddlers, and have yet to find out if it will start happening when they interact with toddlers in front of children. I hope not!

So far my TH has completed Painter Extraordinnaire (chosen in CAS), Mt Komorebi Sightseer, Curator and is working on Joke Star. All subsequent aspirations were chosen at random, although I've discounted anything occult as I don't want to include occult stuff in my ISBI (I've disallowed vampires as visitors for the same reason) and also some of the newer aspirations that only have 1 milestone. I've got fairly lucky with the aspirations she's ended up with so far, although it took forever to complete the frog collection for Curator! Until very recently Sophia was in the social media career and worked from home, but now she needs to become a comedian for her aspiration. She was already very close to a 4 star celebrity from selling paintings, streaming and doing various social media interactions (to get followers needed for promotions) so I got her to 4 stars and selected Career Hopper to start her off at level 3 without spending satisfaction points for Connections. The rewards I have bought are Steel Bladder and Never Weary. We had a few dangerous moments when she was pregnant and caring for young children and hadn't quite earned enough for Never Weary, but it was definitely worth saving up for as she has time to work with all the children (and her spouse) on skills and still get her work tasks and cleaning done.

Sophia's spouse Devante (chosen from 8 male YA sims randomised via the story mode in CAS because I got fed up of trying to find decent spouse candidates amongs the townies) has just finished his third term at university (8 A+s, 1 B+ - and although I'm mostly trying to play by the hard mode rules I do allow myself to use the 'take notes' mode whenever I remember to select it). He's also reached the top of the soccer team (and quit to become a retail worker because he kept coming home really tired after practice) and is on the final level of his 'renaissance sim' aspiration - although the game decided he'd already reached level 3 in 3 careers when he actually hasn't. I'll allow the soccer team as 1 and his retail job (that he should get to level 3 before his university career ends) as 2. He'll get number 3 when he joins a career after completing his degree, so if he finishes off his skills before graduating I'll hold off on choosing his new aspiration until he joins his new career.

All 3 kids so far have got 'Top Notch Infant' and the eldest 2 have maxed all their toddler skills and got at least halfway to having conflict resolution in range for a reward trait. Philip has maxed communication and potty and is level 4 in his other skills so he'll easily finish those before his birthday. I've been making use of the nesting blocks to get the toddler started on something that levels movement or thinking. If the TH cancels the interaction they're then free to do something else (like care for an infant while the toddler is distracted!) but the toddler keeps going until the interaction completes or they get tired of the blocks.

Current score +275. Devante passed out once after soccer practice (having just got into bed, then got up to pass out) and Samuel had the 'hates bedtime' quirk as a toddler which led to him passing out once. Those are my only negative points so far, and I have lots of positive points from aspiration milestones, Devante's good grades and the kids' positive traits and maxed skills.
    I love seeing the updates! I got bust with school and haven't been as active on mine as I wish I could be.

Question though.... if my infant has a blowout would that count as wetting themselves, or not bc they're not potty trained?
  • mojot89mojot89 Posts: 10,040 Member
    if my infant has a blowout would that count as wetting themselves, or not bc they're not potty trained?

I would say no because the only way to avoid a blow out is to direct the infant to use their diaper. And since you can't control the infant, blowouts are inevitable lol
    @HannahCT - As always, I love your updates! You are doing very well on those points. Congrats on having a great family.

@chxr1zxrd - I agree with @mojot89 A blowout does not count towards self-wetting. They make a very valid point as to the reason why. Have fun!
  • LynnwoodLynnwood Posts: 2,980 Member
    Yep, blowouts don't count. :P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top