Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Not-So-Mini Review: Joxer, Your Wish is My Command (LONG; some pictures)

I didn't originally do one of these because so many have been posted and I didn't really think too many people would care one way or the other, but someone specifically asked so here it is. Sorry, it's not mini, though I would expect most people who know me would realize by now that I tend to be rather rambling and long-winded in my posts. :p

CAS:
I hardly ever use now that we have the game. XD I still think it's excellent and love that it's quicker than TS3 but, at the same time, I always feel antsy when I'm using it because I want to play. Didn't stop me from creating a new person, including 3 outfits per category last night. :) I really dislike that there are barely any makeup options for men and children and really, really miss the opacity and saturation controls. Everything else, I can pretty much work with and I expect we'll see more clothing, hair and accessories over time.

Building:
I actually didn't really get into serious build mode until the day before yesterday when I started working on a house. I LOVE it! Yes, it has some annoying aspects but, overall it's excellent. The most annoying thing is, of course, no CASt. They did alright with the presets but, honestly, they missed the mark a lot. Siding trim doesn't match the roof trim which doesn't match the foundation trim. The swatches are so tiny, you need a magnifying glass to see them (ok, that's partially my settings). There aren't enough neutral options.

However, the trade-off is worth it, for me. I made a 30x20 lot with a small, but packed house with almost the whole rest of the yard being a huge garden. There must be a couple hundred or more flowers, plants, outdoor objects on the lot and it still loads for me in 20 seconds or less with no obvious rendering.

NOrZqNJ.jpg

On the downside, there are some glitches. I decided to try making a Tiny House but quickly realized that wasn't feasible for the sims because of routing/pathing. So I made a house as small as I could. It's surprisingly functional for such a small space but I ran into problems with the single wide staircase shifting every time I added the foundation and some weird glitches with the roof becoming invisible when I moved the house (it would come back, eventually). I got them worked out enough to finish but they were frustrating to have to work around, especially with the limited space I was trying to use for the house.

Also, it would be nice to be able to make basements and ponds but I personally didn't really miss the terrain tools that allowed for that. It's possible, though, that I will start missing it the more I build. I could see the potential for things to start looking similar without additional presets, more objects, and some additional terrain tools. Overall, though, I think Build mode is excellent.

Live Mode:

First, emotions. I'm enjoying them--the animations are excellent, the additional gameplay is fun and sometimes funny, the challenge is interesting, for me. I give the team full marks for the direction they've taken this. It's a much more complicated system than just moodlets and they've made a good start on it. Whatever changes they make for the future direction of the game, I hope they keep developing the emotions.

But (there's always one, right?), they need tweaking. The positive emotions do outweigh the negatives too much at times. I like the happy buff boosting positive emotions but feel like it's imbalanced--perhaps angry or sad should be a chameleon buff as well to boost negative emotions? Also, there are some conspicuously missing emotions (fear, love). And, of course, there have been plenty of threads about the emotions not working properly (people not caring when they're "loved" one died; spouses not caring that they're being cheated on; and, my fave, the teenager who walked in on her parents woohooing and proceeded to laugh at them XD ).

Multitasking is awesome. I think even people who aren't fond of the game agree with that. My female sim got herself some food, sat down to eat and then turned on the music and jammed to the tunes while eating her food. All on her own (which an AI thing but still kinda cool).

Children interactions are improved. The kids are stinking cute. Really. Interactions with parents are sweet. But I haven't played my family save a ton yet so I don't have a lot of input on it.

Musical chairs would be unbelievably annoying if I didn't find it so hilarious most of the time. I finally got my female sim to meet my single male sim and they did this amusing dance around the bar--one sat down, the other sat down with a seat between them, the first got up and moved closer, the second got up and walked around the back of the bar, the first got up and moved to the end seat...and so on. XD I imagine I won't find it amusing in a week or so if it doesn't get fixed. And I did end up missing a great screen capture where it looked like the male sim was leaning on the bar talking to the seated female sim.

Which brings me to the next point--the sims are really squirrelly in this game. Not just with social interactions. They're quick little buggers. If you want to see who someone is or have your sim talk to them, you pretty much have to pause the game. The upside is it makes things seem very active and alive.

Careers, Rewards, RPG Stuff:
I don't have a huge problem with not having all the traditional careers because I hardly ever played them. Previously, my sims were almost always self-employed (Ambitions was one of my favorite EPs). I do have one Sim going through the spy career; one astronaut and one chef. My other adult sim is independently wealthy so she doesn't work. She's started writing and does paint, though.
nZD3UkV.jpg

I actually like that they've added required activities to get a promotion. Personally, I hardly ever played the traditional jobs in TS3 because they were so boring, required almost no direct interaction, and you could get to the top of your career in no time with almost no effort. I'm glad they've added something to make the careers interesting. On the other hand, I don't always want that. I think TS4 has succeeded in making it possible for us to play that part our way by having so many non-career methods for making money (selling things you collect, grow, paint, or write; busking; bartending, etc.). It doesn't personally bother me that there are locked objects for rewards though I do think it would be great to have a cheat for unlocking everything and definitely would be nice to have those objects available for community lots without unlocking them.

Glitches:

There are a few. There are quite a few I haven't experienced but I've run into one or two. The most obnoxious being this one I explained in the glitch thread. Honestly the clipping doesn't bother me as much as the fact that all the sims on the lot went to stand at the curb like some creepy pod people.

TDLR:
I more than like the game but don't unreservedly love it. I am thoroughly enjoying myself but there are things that need to be tweaked and patched. I do believe it's an excellent foundation for the next 5 years or so. Overall, I give it an 8 out of 10.

Anyone who actually waded through this whole things get cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. :p
:cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:
Origin ID: ebuchala
I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper

Comments

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    This is a great review! Thank you very much :)
  • thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    Yay , I got cookies!
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    This is a great review! Thank you very much :)

Whew! Thank you. I was a bit concerned with how long I went on it. It was even long for me. XD
  • RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    Just wanted to say I love the house's garden! It's a nightmare working around not having MOO, but it looks lovely.
    Rinilex wrote: »
    Just wanted to say I love the house's garden! It's a nightmare working around not having MOO, but it looks lovely.
    Thanks!

I actually had almost no problems without MOO. I did do A LOT of off-grid placement so the flowers would fill in but, thankfully, we don't need MOO for that.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks. This is one rare objective review and it *is* mini.
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Thanks. This is one rare objective review and it *is* mini.

Thanks for reading it! Heck, if I knew you would think this was mini, I would've kept going. XD
  • lbennilbenni Posts: 107 Member
    Very nice review and LOVE that house and garden.
    People will not remember what you did.
    People will not remember what you said.
    People will remember how you made them
    feel.
  • cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I like how you included the things you liked, but you also included the things that you didn't like about the game in the review. It makes the review better because it makes it less biased.
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited September 2014
    Excellent review, @ebuchala! I'm glad to see your thoughts on the game. I agree with a lot of what you've said. And that is a great-looking house! Is it on the Gallery? How many bedrooms does it have?

There's a serious shortage of starter homes with 3 bedrooms. I posted one even though it's sort of a dump because of this.
  • claritysfclaritysf Posts: 384 Member
    Great review! I love the garden in your backyard! The house is beautiful too!
    tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif
    Thanks everyone!

@nateslice, yes it's in the gallery under "Camden Garden" or my Origin ID, ebuchala. Nope, it's actually surprising tiny--only had space for 1 bedroom. I've been in major build mode lately so if I get a chance to do a starter with 3 bedrooms I'll post here and tag you for it.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Nice review and love the pictures. This game hopefully will evolve into something very very big
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Mmmmm, I saw cookies!

Nice review, Ebuchala. Your cottage and country garden are very cute.

I'm glad the glitches you seem to be experiencing so far aren't game-breaking and you can enjoy the game.

I never thought of my Sims as squirrelly before, but now I certainly will. I can't get the image of a squirrel simulation game out of my head. :)

2ptqqeu.jpg
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    If you check ebuchala's other posts you'll generally spot quality over quantity. That's why I asked for a mini review. And it's exactly as expected. As short as possible but still full of interesting details!
    I can only wish others who write "I'm amazed" or "game sux" threads would learn something from this review.

Again, thanks ebuchala!
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    If you check ebuchala's other posts you'll generally spot quality over quantity. That's why I asked for a mini review. And it's exactly as expected. As short as possible but still full of interesting details!
    I can only wish others who write "I'm amazed" or "game sux" threads would learn something from this review.

Again, thanks ebuchala!

I'm trying Joxer, I'm trying but you're just so demanding *cries in corner*
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
    greenXen wrote: »
    Mmmmm, I saw cookies!

Nice review, Ebuchala. Your cottage and country garden are very cute.

I'm glad the glitches you seem to be experiencing so far aren't game-breaking and you can enjoy the game.

I never thought of my Sims as squirrelly before, but now I certainly will. I can't get the image of a squirrel simulation game out of my head. :)

2ptqqeu.jpg

That's hilarious!

Yes, I have had very few glitches. Makes me feel elated, guilty (for those who have) and trepidatious. :p We'll see when I've got double the hours clocked on the game. I tend to be a pretty slow player, though, so I've barely scratched the surface of what's available in this game.

Again, thanks ebuchala!

Thanks again for the compliments! :D
    nateslice wrote: »
    Excellent review, @ebuchala! I'm glad to see your thoughts on the game. I agree with a lot of what you've said. And that is a great-looking house! Is it on the Gallery? How many bedrooms does it have?

There's a serious shortage of starter homes with 3 bedrooms. I posted one even though it's sort of a dump because of this.

I built one for you today. I forgot to change the name so it's listed as Potters Splay or, again you can find it under my Origin ID (ebuchala). It's 3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms (one shared between the two kids rooms) and a living room. The dining area is a tiny table in the kitchen. I stuck with mostly low end appliances but did put a slightly nicer fence in and included the monkey bars. Mostly not decorated with pretties but I did put the basics in (beds, plumbing, kitchen, etc.). I did a girl's room in pinks/purples and a boy's room in blues/oranges. Hopefully it works for you. I think the furnished cost is around 31,000 simoleons and the unfurnished is just under 20,000. So I might not quite have hit "starter." If you need (or want), I can redo it without the fencing or monkey bars (probably what added the most).

[img][/img]i03mBkK.jpg
    jEorMnm.jpg
    ibDKmeS.jpg
  • Sparkysim2Sparkysim2 Posts: 359 Member
    @ebuchala That is the most fair, accurate and best review I have read so far. I agree. It is a good base for our next few years of Simming. I love to build and well it is taking a bit for me to get use to the new build mode, but I will and if I have to go back to the old way I'll go nuts. I'll add it is a beautiful game. The towns are alive with people and the expanded view of it is great. I love the train, street car, and paddle boat. They add so much to the look and life of the game. I personally think that the game has taken quiet a beating. I have recommended it to my friends that are The Sims Fans. I have to go play now. ; )
    "If I don't remember it, it didn't happen." CM
    Sparkysim2 wrote: »
    @ebuchala That is the most fair, accurate and best review I have read so far. I agree. It is a good base for our next few years of Simming. I love to build and well it is taking a bit for me to get use to the new build mode, but I will and if I have to go back to the old way I'll go nuts. I'll add it is a beautiful game. The towns are alive with people and the expanded view of it is great. I love the train, street car, and paddle boat. They add so much to the look and life of the game. I personally think that the game has taken quiet a beating. I have recommended it to my friends that are The Sims Fans. I have to go play now. ; )

I built a lot in TS3 and had one of my last sims be an architect (which was fun since you got to spend other people's money :p ). I do miss being able to alter the ground levels but I honestly didn't use that enough for it to be a big loss to me. I also always forgot about making basements. I think because we don't usually have basements down here in South Central Texas. :) I did use pools a lot but fountains work just as well for a similar look. Overall, I'm really liking the new build mode and I especially like the magnification cheat--I like being able to take a small plant and make it large to fill a corner just right.

Anyway, thanks for reading it.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Judging by the first pic. My mind was blown when I saw CURVED balconies. o.O
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
    Judging by the first pic. My mind was blown when I saw CURVED balconies. o.O
    You didn't know you could do them? I love making the curved balconies. It's softens the edge on the Victorian/Queen Anne/Edwardian styles.
  • ShuushiiShuushii Posts: 745 Member
    Ah, thanks for linking me this review! It's short yet very informative. And as others have said I liked how you also highlighted the problems in the game because obviously Sims 4 is very flawed but also highlighting the good stuff about it! It's well balanced.
    codxHiZ.jpg
    Disclaimer: He or Him! Not a girl!
    edited September 2014
    Shuushii wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for linking me this review! It's short yet very informative. And as others have said I liked how you also highlighted the problems in the game because obviously Sims 4 is very flawed but also highlighting the good stuff about it! It's well balanced.

Glad to be of service. :) It's definitely got some downsides but after reading through the tech simulation/animation thread stickied at the top of the forums, I'm kind of surprised the whole thing doesn't implode from all the complexities involved. :p