Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    @SimGuruEugi and @SimGuruHouts please can we have an extra wall height for rooms, half the low height? That way by knocking out the floor in the right places, we can create full height rooms from two half height rooms but split level, to make mezzanines. And even half landings. I am guessing you wouldn't have to alter the build engine too much to allow this, as it's just an extra height in the series. Let it take wallpaper from the low wall height just like the half walls do, to save adding special texturing rules. I wouldn't mind if you didn't add extra routing checks for low ceiling height - if I saw my sim with their head poking through a floor I would just know it was my fault for designing the house wrong and not stopping them walking under a low ceiling. I think we might need to be allowed one or two more levels on the building though, to make the most of this.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Sims are actually not objects in Build/Buy. That's why the system is unable to apply moveobjects on them.

Okay, fair enough, I think understand what your'e saying - all Sims in past iterations were objects, but TS4 Sims are not. Correct?
    Sims children-elders are not objects. MOO actually works quite well on babies and you can resize them as shown here.
    Babies are pretty much objects as mentioned earlier in this thread. I actually wouldn't mind if MOO worked on Sims again but would probably require recoding. I'm trying to remember if the teleport here come with MC Command Center mod or with the testing cheats feature. @egwarhammer probably remembers. Pretty sad it doesn't take long to forget things in the Sims 4 after not playing for a bit already.

I do think the teleport here would help with storytellers. Mix that with the pose pack player mods and it could work. I know not ideal to use third party sources for storytelling, but something is better than nothing.

Your picture of the MOO'ed baby actually saddens me. That and your comment are why I, personally, have always felt that when push comes to shove there are two life stages missing from the TS4 gameplay, not just the one most often clamored for.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    DOLLDRMS1 wrote: »

Your picture of the MOO'ed baby actually saddens me. That and your comment are why I, personally, have always felt that when push comes to shove there are two life stages missing from the TS4 gameplay, not just the one most often clamored for.
    Oh yeah I agree with that. I much rather Sims feel like life stages than like objects any day. Sorry I didn't mean to upset it though. I think that is what made me upset more than a missing toddler is generally how life stages are treated in this iteration. I'm not too happy with teens either and remember the uproar before the ages were displayed above a Sim not being able the difference between the Teen-Elder life stages. I still miss seeing children play with each other rather than just with objects too. I think multitasking might be an issue preventing that, but probably @SimGuruEugi could explain why children don't have play interactions with this iteration.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • lakmelakme Posts: 43 Member
    Sims are actually not objects in Build/Buy. That's why the system is unable to apply moveobjects on them.

Okay, fair enough, I think understand what your'e saying - all Sims in past iterations were objects, but TS4 Sims are not. Correct?
    Sims children-elders are not objects. MOO actually works quite well on babies and you can resize them as shown here.
    Babies are pretty much objects as mentioned earlier in this thread. I actually wouldn't mind if MOO worked on Sims again but would probably require recoding. I'm trying to remember if the teleport here come with MC Command Center mod or with the testing cheats feature. @egwarhammer probably remembers. Pretty sad it doesn't take long to forget things in the Sims 4 after not playing for a bit already.

I do think the teleport here would help with storytellers. Mix that with the pose pack player mods and it could work. I know not ideal to use third party sources for storytelling, but something is better than nothing.

I actually feel like there are three missing, seeing as how teenagers look like adults.
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    lakme wrote: »

I actually feel like there are three missing, seeing as how teenagers look like adults.

It's not the height of the teenagers that brother me, it is that they look to old to be teenagers. They look more like college students. In real life teenagers are mostly the same height as adults So we can say there are four life stages missing in The Sims 4. Toddlers, preteens, teens, and don't forget middle age (45 to 65).

• BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited September 2016
    I did not read all 47 pages, But I will ask this just in case it was not asked, are the Babies ever going to Not be just Objects in their Cradles? Meaning is My Sim parents ever going to be able to push the Babies in strollers or put in swings and such? just curious, or even be able to put different clothes on them as well?
  • latushialatushia Posts: 60 Member
    Woooow ... I have a question: How do Expansion packs actually work... sometimes (e.g. TS4 Get Together) you have to add Features, that become part of the main Interface and gameplay. But on the other Hand you have to guarantee that the game still works without it as well. Are those Features simply completing the game as you install them or do EPs become part of the basegame as well... how could we imagine this?
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I did not read all 47 pages, But I will ask this just in case it was not asked, are the Babies ever going to Not be just Objects in their Cradles? Meaning is My Sim parents ever going to be able to push the Babies in strollers or put in swings and such? just curious, or even be able to put different clothes on them as well?

There is a reply here from SimGuruMax dealing with this issue that you might like to read too @BlueBlack007
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12642962/#Comment_12642962
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

There is a reply here from SimGuruMax dealing with this issue that you might like to read too @BlueBlack007
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12642962/#Comment_12642962

Thank you much appreciated.
    Okay after reading that thread I guess it means that is a No on My Baby question, oh well., :(
  • lakmelakme Posts: 43 Member
    Is there any way that the game could someday have playable Sims assume roles typically fulfilled by townies? I'm thinking waiter, host, yoga instructor, etc.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    lakme wrote: »
    Is there any way that the game could someday have playable Sims assume roles typically fulfilled by townies? I'm thinking waiter, host, yoga instructor, etc.

I'm interested in this too. I'm even more interested in if it's possible within the game structure to assign non-played Sims to NPC roles. Plus I'm wondering why some keep their jobs when I move them into houses (bartenders, chefs, massage therapists...) but others lose them or don't fulfill them (critics, mailmen, fishermen...).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimGuruMegsSimGuruMegs Posts: 242 SimGuru
    Hi @SimGuruEugi !!

Firstly, thanks for regularly contributing to this thread. I definitely think it means a lot to people.

Now to my topic. I have been playing around with the clubs system and I've been trying to add the popcorn machine to the "watch movies" club rule, but I haven't had any success. When adding new things to club rules, do *all* Svalue and Nvalues of the popcorn machine need to be added to the club rule? So far I've only tried adding the recipe crafting values that (I think) refer to the Sim initially starting the popcorn crafting process, but these don't seem to work as there is no green thumbs up on the popcorn maker and Sims still won't use it autonomously during a club gathering. I hope you can help here.

Speaking of the "watch movies" club rule, it's currently, for the most part, broken. See the bug report I posted yesterday below. There's an issue with autonomous "watch current movie" and "watch movie together", where only one sim can watch movie at a time. Other Sims in the group will attempt to watch the movie, but the autonomous interaction cancels immediately.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Broken-Group-Club-Watch-Movie-Interactions/m-p/5548864#M28359

Thanks again.

Jumping in since I'm familiar with setting up club rules. So for club rules, you need to add the interaction that you want to give the green thumbs up to. In the popcorn machine's case, it would be popcornPopper_StartRecipes. Crafting interactions are very special and you actually need a separate interaction in order to craft autonomously. Unfortunately, the popcorn popper doesn't have an autonomous crafting interaction.

We'll look into the bug with the watch movies rule!
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi @SimGuruEugi !!

Firstly, thanks for regularly contributing to this thread. I definitely think it means a lot to people.

Now to my topic. I have been playing around with the clubs system and I've been trying to add the popcorn machine to the "watch movies" club rule, but I haven't had any success. When adding new things to club rules, do *all* Svalue and Nvalues of the popcorn machine need to be added to the club rule? So far I've only tried adding the recipe crafting values that (I think) refer to the Sim initially starting the popcorn crafting process, but these don't seem to work as there is no green thumbs up on the popcorn maker and Sims still won't use it autonomously during a club gathering. I hope you can help here.

Speaking of the "watch movies" club rule, it's currently, for the most part, broken. See the bug report I posted yesterday below. There's an issue with autonomous "watch current movie" and "watch movie together", where only one sim can watch movie at a time. Other Sims in the group will attempt to watch the movie, but the autonomous interaction cancels immediately.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Broken-Group-Club-Watch-Movie-Interactions/m-p/5548864#M28359

Thanks again.

Jumping in since I'm familiar with setting up club rules. So for club rules, you need to add the interaction that you want to give the green thumbs up to. In the popcorn machine's case, it would be popcornPopper_StartRecipes. Crafting interactions are very special and you actually need a separate interaction in order to craft autonomously. Unfortunately, the popcorn popper doesn't have an autonomous crafting interaction.

We'll look into the bug with the watch movies rule!

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I'll do what you suggested.

Is there any reason why the popcorn machine has no autonomy, but the ice cream machine does? What kind of decisions are made when deciding if an object has autonomy or not? Quite honestly, I think the more autonomy the better. It makes the game more unpredictable and fun to watch :)
  • SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Not having gender requirements was a conscious decision on our part.

Why? o_o

I think similar reasons to not having skin tone as an excludable factor. The Sims Studio have always gone out of their way to promote equality.

So creating gender specific clubs would promote inequality? That's ridiculous. I can't with this world... -_-

Not necessarily, but by that time we knew that the CAS updates were probably going to happen, so we didn't want to add something that might have had to be removed or seriously reworked. Since there is a lot of control over which Sims are in which clubs, we decided to focus on some of the other club features instead.

Sims need to use their hands while socializing, that's why they are unable to do so while fishing, for example.

Must it be that way? Even just chatting? I mean I often gesture with my hands when I talk, but I can avoid doing so while using my hands for some other task.

Couldn't they just turn their head to the side or nod their head instead of using their hands as if they are having a conversation with each other.

Possibly, but then you'd miss out on some of the interactions that require very animated content. We could individually tag which socials work with fishing, and which don't. If we had to go do that for every other interaction in the game, that's all we'd do. So, we tend to make "all in or all out" decisions regarding multi-tasking. In the end, while it might be upsetting that we didn't get to make Sims fishing and chatting, we got to spend that time making some other really cool stuff.
    @SimGuruEugi and @SimGuruHouts please can we have an extra wall height for rooms, half the low height? That way by knocking out the floor in the right places, we can create full height rooms from two half height rooms but split level, to make mezzanines. And even half landings. I am guessing you wouldn't have to alter the build engine too much to allow this, as it's just an extra height in the series. Let it take wallpaper from the low wall height just like the half walls do, to save adding special texturing rules. I wouldn't mind if you didn't add extra routing checks for low ceiling height - if I saw my sim with their head poking through a floor I would just know it was my fault for designing the house wrong and not stopping them walking under a low ceiling. I think we might need to be allowed one or two more levels on the building though, to make the most of this.

I don't think you can have regular walls that are lower than an adult Sim's height... otherwise the Sim would always clip through the ceiling! :)

I never rule anything out :)
    I kind of dislike how the babies' clothes are strictly tied to their gender. I'll bring it up to the designers and see what we can do about that! :)
  • buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member

I don't think you can have regular walls that are lower than an adult Sim's height... otherwise the Sim would always clip through the ceiling! :)

@SimGuruEugi regarding this topic - can we have an additional half-wall height? something between the highest and the lower one? there is a major difference between them and it feels like there is one level missing. is there a lot of work around it to implement it?
    Origin ID: minimalcanary

Yes @SimGuruEugi but my point was that would be our caveat that we couldn't complain about the clipping, because it would be understood that it was our responsibility when building a lot to make sure we removed the floor between the two levels to make a full height room - like we used to when we had CFE and could make half height rooms. If you're worried about loads of support for people complaining of clipping, could the half height be hidden behind a debug cheat? Maybe I should draw a kind of picture of what I mean in case it's not coming across clearly.

@SimGuruEugi regarding this topic - can we have an additional half-wall height? something between the highest and the lower one? there is a major difference between them and it feels like there is one level missing. is there a lot of work around it to implement it?

You could definitely go down to a two-tile high one without any sim being too tall for it.
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited September 2016
    Not having gender requirements was a conscious decision on our part.

Why? o_o

I think similar reasons to not having skin tone as an excludable factor. The Sims Studio have always gone out of their way to promote equality.

So creating gender specific clubs would promote inequality? That's ridiculous. I can't with this world... -_-

Not necessarily, but by that time we knew that the CAS updates were probably going to happen, so we didn't want to add something that might have had to be removed or seriously reworked. Since there is a lot of control over which Sims are in which clubs, we decided to focus on some of the other club features instead.

@SimGuruEugi aw for real? I was hoping this could be a solution to getting rid of the autonomous introductions and affairs my sims are want to do constantly with every single sim without regard. I get that some people like that, but some people dont, it sure would be nice to be able to control it better.

Is there any chance that relationship retention culling especially in same households is going to be toned down?
    Is there any chance that autonomous emotion introductions could be limited to the personality/mood/traits types (something?) instead of avail for all sims all the time? (that flirty one is pretty hazardous)
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
    latushia wrote: »
    Woooow ... I have a question: How do Expansion packs actually work... sometimes (e.g. TS4 Get Together) you have to add Features, that become part of the main Interface and gameplay. But on the other Hand you have to guarantee that the game still works without it as well. Are those Features simply completing the game as you install them or do EPs become part of the basegame as well... how could we imagine this?

All our scripts are essentially pack independent. We like it when we get to reuse as many things as possible. All of the assets (models, animations, tuning) are only loaded if you have the specific pack installed.

We do A LOT of testing to try combinations of packs as well as ensure that base game (with no packs) still works as intended. The more we make, the more combinations we have to test!

Yes @SimGuruEugi but my point was that would be our caveat that we couldn't complain about the clipping, because it would be understood that it was our responsibility when building a lot to make sure we removed the floor between the two levels to make a full height room - like we used to when we had CFE and could make half height rooms. If you're worried about loads of support for people complaining of clipping, could the half height be hidden behind a debug cheat? Maybe I should draw a kind of picture of what I mean in case it's not coming across clearly.

We can't ship a feature with caveats :) If it's in the game, it must meet our quality standards. Yes, e loosen up a bit for functionality that's gated by cheats, but even then, we must guarantee that no egregious problems exist. We're also less likely to spend substantial amounts of time on cheats, since fewer players will experience that. Most of the cheats in the game are "leftover" debug functionality. It's rare that we implement a cheat as an end to itself.
    edited September 2016
    We can't ship a feature with caveats :) If it's in the game, it must meet our quality standards. Yes, e loosen up a bit for functionality that's gated by cheats, but even then, we must guarantee that no egregious problems exist. We're also less likely to spend substantial amounts of time on cheats, since fewer players will experience that. Most of the cheats in the game are "leftover" debug functionality. It's rare that we implement a cheat as an end to itself.

Ok, I am disappointed by your answer but if thats the bottom line then it's the bottom line. So could you run to considering a two-tile high floor level? That should avoid the clipping as it is still a little above sim's head height. Would I be correct in my assumption that a further floor height would take a lot less work to implement than a complete CFE, given that it seems you're saying that such a feature has not even been there as a testing feature and therefore not simply a case of making a cheat to access it?

(PS I guess it's probably impossible to mod in a different height as I expect all the build stuff is in the C++)

Post edited by IngeJones on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top