Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 supposedly has little content

JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
I see review after review and post after post from people saying Sims 4 is "lacking in content."

According to Sims Wiki there are about 90 interactions from the base games of Sims 1-3 combined. I can't find a site that lists all of the interactions in Sims 4 but I checked out all interactions that were available from two different families and I counted 92, and I'm sure this is probably only half.

Life States by base game:

Sims 1: 3
Sims 2: 6
Sims 3: 7
Sims 4: 6

According to Sims Wiki and Honey's site there are 455 buy objects in the base game of Sims 3 (and maybe half this amount were found in Sims 1) and 800 buy objects in Sims 4 base.

There are also a lot of things to collect in Sims 3 and a lot of things to collect in Sims 4.

I know this is just scratching the surface of everything there is to do in Sim games (except Sims 1, this was pretty much all there was to do) but the thing is it's like this all over in Sims 4. With the obviously noticeable exceptions of toddlers, pools, and open world, Sims 4 has expanded upon everything.

So when people say there is little content or a lack of features in Sims 4 it really makes me wonder if they have ever played a Sims game before Sims 4, or if they have even played Sims 4.

I had links for this stuff but the forum didn't like the links so I removed them.

If you have any data on things that have been expanded upon in Sims 4 compared to previous games please post them here.

Comments

• PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    There is definitely a lot of objects and clothing in the game. However, venues are extremely lacking. Two museums and two gyms, and both are boring as heck. I do like one of the lounges, though, and the parks. They really, badly need more varied venues, though. Really, that's my biggest gripe with it right now.

I have to say, though, I absolutely LOVE how the Sims look. I think they're gorgeous.
  • gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    You have posted this list many times.

But again for reminding people.
  • daltondougdaltondoug Posts: 618 Member
    I'm stunned. I think I'm wrong, then.. it looks like I was dazed by 3s expansions
  • smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited September 2014
    daltondoug wrote: »
    I'm stunned. I think I'm wrong, then.. it looks like I was dazed by 3s expansions

I read 'stunned' as something else lol
  • Candyr277Candyr277 Posts: 623 Member
    Venues will come in time with EPs as always but I wonder if they will be tied to traits again like TS3. In TS4 you can bump into anyone, anywhere and I like that feature right now.
    "The great will not be constrained by the small." - BioShock

Unknown.jpeg

• JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    gmgar wrote: »
    You have posted this list many times.

But again for reminding people.

Please don't feed the trolls.
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    tumblr_majym31Zyw1rxevt4o1_500.jpg
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    All those interactions are not content really.

Content is:
    - friendly chat
    - funny chat
    - mischeef chat
    - evil chat
    - hit on chat

They could put 87345687364873456837 friendly oneliners for all I care, it still produces the same result in the end.

For buyable objects I definetly dunno how many there are, but honestly if I can't gain something with those I won't buy em. It's like bringing someone on the junkyard and saying "here's content". It's not content. It's junk.

I didn't play Sims 1, but did Sims 2 & 3. And I say Sims 4 doesn't have enough different content. Not different oneliners, not different items. But GAMEPLAY content.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    I see review after review and post after post from people saying Sims 4 is "lacking in content."

According to Sims Wiki there are about 90 interactions from the base games of Sims 1-3 combined. I can't find a site that lists all of the interactions in Sims 4 but I checked out all interactions that were available from two different families and I counted 92, and I'm sure this is probably only half.

According to Sims Wiki and Honey's site there are 455 buy objects in the base game of Sims 3 (and maybe half this amount were found in Sims 1) and 800 buy objects in Sims 4 base.

There are also a lot of things to collect in Sims 3 and a lot of things to collect in Sims 4.

I know this is just scratching the surface of everything there is to do in Sim games (except Sims 1, this was pretty much all there was to do) but the thing is it's like this all over in Sims 4. With the obviously noticeable exceptions of toddlers, pools, and open world, Sims 4 has expanded upon everything.

So when people say there is little content or a lack of features in Sims 4 it really makes me wonder if they have ever played a Sims game before Sims 4, or if they have even played Sims 4.

I had links for this stuff but the forum didn't like the links so I removed them.

If you have any data on things that have been expanded upon in Sims 4 compared to previous games please post them here.

I think the major problem is that people hate E.A. And the business model for the sims is getting old also; it was a best selling franchise, but it is basically the same game, getting redone, again and again. Even if people lost features they loved, this doesn't change the fact that we are playing a new version of an older game with new graphics. Gameplay changes, even substantialy, but it's still the same game, in essence. When a company like E.A sells that, we have a problem.

But there'll always be an audience for the sims too; I'm sure people will get mad, complain, abandon the franchise. And then new fans will come. Etc
    munchie885 wrote: »
    tumblr_majym31Zyw1rxevt4o1_500.jpg

Well I wasn't going to mention it to you...but since you brought it up...
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    Penelope wrote: »
    There is definitely a lot of objects and clothing in the game. However, venues are extremely lacking. Two museums and two gyms, and both are boring as heck. I do like one of the lounges, though, and the parks. They really, badly need more varied venues, though. Really, that's my biggest gripe with it right now.

I have to say, though, I absolutely LOVE how the Sims look. I think they're gorgeous.

Well...Comparing Base TS3 and Base TS4. I don't see how the TS4 gym is more boring than the TS3 gym. Please don't tell me it is the pool. Neither do I see how the TS4 museums are more boring than the TS3 museums. The park areas in TS4, imho, are nicer and filled with more collectibles (except bugs/insects) than TS3. With regard to the parks and collectibles there is far more depth in both fishing and gardening in TS4. TS3 base game didn't even have lounges so TS4 wins again in that department. The variation in the venues in TS3 came from all the rabbitholes which fans begged be gotten rid of.

Origin ID: Barbara917
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    The variation in the venues in TS3 came from all the rabbitholes which fans begged be gotten rid of.
    The much-ballyhooed rocket adventure is pretty much a rabbithole, though. You blast off and have a little text adventure. Much like the crypt in TS3 Supernatural.

Yes. It is. I haven't tried it yet but it looks a lot of fun. Neither does it require its own separate venue, unless you just want to make one.

With regard to venues I wish EA/Maxis had supplied a wedding venue. But I am loving the ones that have been created in The Gallery.

How many venues came with the Sims 3 at release? Technically Sims 3 only came with one town, right? Plus a second free town for registering at the Sims 3 website or something.

I didn't start playing Sims 3 until about half a dozen expansion packs were out so I don't know how many venues were released at launch. Even then it seems like most of the venues were just rabbit holes as Sincerbox explained.
    Yes. People were dazed by sims 3 open world, which wasn't so open, really
    edited September 2014
    How many venues came with the Sims 3 at release? Technically Sims 3 only came with one town, right? Plus a second free town for registering at the Sims 3 website or something.

I didn't start playing Sims 3 until about half a dozen expansion packs were out so I don't know how many venues were released at launch. Even then it seems like most of the venues were just rabbit holes as Sincerbox explained.

The glaring example of missing non-rabbithole venues were the Pool, Beach and Graveyard. Of the three I miss the graveyard the most along with the ghosts. Except the graveyard did have the very entertaining Mausoleum rabbithole for managing the dead. The beaches were boring and no more interesting than a park until Isla Paradiso came along so I don't see the loss of beaches as that big a deal. So the pool and graveyard are the ones that I think where TS3 is better than TS4.

But TS4 adds in hidden venues. I have only been to The Sylvan Glade (basically another park - no visitors allowed.)
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    The variation in the venues in TS3 came from all the rabbitholes which fans begged be gotten rid of.
    The much-ballyhooed rocket adventure is pretty much a rabbithole, though. You blast off and have a little text adventure. Much like the crypt in TS3 Supernatural.

The crypt was there since day one ... along with ghosts. :open_mouth:

But in TS4, that's one of the few rabbit holes ... compared to TS3, which was filled to the brim with rabbit holes. I'd say that getting rid of the rabbit holes was their greatest achievement.
    Origin ID: Derpiez

I don't have your answer @JoeWow1003 but looking at count is no measure of meaningful game content. For example there was Big Park, Small Park, Fishing Hole and Beach. None of these different venue types cannot be served by one venue type in TS4.

• DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    Does all of this matter anymore? The game is out, people are buying it, and life goes on.

I don't have your answer @JoeWow1003 but looking at count is no measure of meaningful game content. For example there was Big Park, Small Park, Fishing Hole and Beach. None of these different venue types cannot be served by one venue type in TS4.

True, looking at count doesn't measure meaningful game content. I'm just confused by the people who say Sims 4 is lacking content. I can understand if someone just said they found the game boring or they don't like this or that; I just don't understand when I see someone say there is a lack of content.
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited September 2014

The Wiki is wrong. Sims 3 had ghosts in the base game. The other 14 were added in expansions. Please be careful of your sources. If you'd played Sims3 you'd have known that on your own.
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/occultlifestates.php
  • GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member

Many of objects in TS4 are recolors. In TS3 recolors were not counted as different objects.

Also in TS3 trees, shrubs and flowers were not counted as objects. Same goes with rabbitholes and other world objects.

TS3 base game has much more content than TS4.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello Joe I saw this and thought I would add some data for you. According to LGR there are 35 chairs in the TS4 base game. This would seem about right from what I remember of the TS3 base game but I am not going off to count at this time of night :)

Not wishing to be rude but comparing content between versions will not change the type and quantity of stuff which comes with TS4. Whatever you do there will always be someone who feels short changed. I am not talking about toddlers et al because we all knew about that before release :( What is critical is people enjoy the things they have now and hopefully there will be an EP along soon to start filling in some of the gaps :)

Perhaps it is time to start a wishlist thread if there isn't one already :)

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita