Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

@SimGuruModSquad : Tray subfoldering?

During a discussion on how to distribute lots (and sims) beyond the in-game Gallery, a rather interesting question has come up:

Seeing as the game recognises subdirectories in /Mods via the redirects in resource.cfg, is there any way a similar method for using subdirectories in /Tray could be established?

(For quite a lot of users, it seems to pose a problem that the files in Tray do not have nice descriptive names, and that there’s more than one file per sim/lot .. named subdirectories would be an easy way to deal with that.)
Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4

Comments

• Options
    DrakahDrakah Posts: 68 Member
    With all of the sharing of lots and sims, downloading and installing to game, you would think the Tray would manage itself by creating its own folder with the files inside it. I can quickly see how this tray folder will become out of hand.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    Drakah wrote: »
    With all of the sharing of lots and sims, downloading and installing to game, you would think the Tray would manage itself by creating its own folder with the files inside it. I can quickly see how this tray folder will become out of hand.

Can become? LOL, mine has over 600 files in it. That's way too many considering I've only got 25 households made and 10 lots. What are all those files for? Why are there so many? Which ones can we delete? It's just excessive and I really wish they were named so we knew what they were.

• Options
    EndlessSims3EndlessSims3 Posts: 1,077 Member
    for sure I have close to 1000 in my tray have no idea on all those, needed to be named so we know exactly what we have. strange for sure. lol
  • Options
    lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member
    I have discovered the tray is the reason for some many people having problems with the game freezing upon loading. my game would freeze then it would finally allow me to access gallery and game after about 5-10 minutes. I moved the sims 4 folder out and game had no problems loading. added back my saves still no problem put back in tray and it started freezing again. so I removed some of sims I downloaded from gallery and I now have no problems.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I have discovered the tray is the reason for some many people having problems with the game freezing upon loading. my game would freeze then it would finally allow me to access gallery and game after about 5-10 minutes. I moved the sims 4 folder out and game had no problems loading. added back my saves still no problem put back in tray and it started freezing again. so I removed some of sims I downloaded from gallery and I now have no problems.

I have to keep Origin offline otherwise there are tiny little stutters everywhere (I don't know if this bloated tray folder or Origin is doing that with the way it's constantly checking for gallery updates). I did delete everything in that tray and now I'm being more careful about what I download. I made myself 20 households to replace the pre-mades and I am up 234 files.....for 30 households and 2 lots.

I've noticed that every single Sim I make generates 4 files. If I make a family then each member gets their own SGI and HHI file added. It's really beginning to get unwieldy. I made a house today and it generated 7 files.

Why?

I don't understand the reasoning behind this, surely it's going to cause game bloat issues very quickly?

Is there anyway to consolidate these files? It's doing my OCD in seeing this mess.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    for sure that is causing game to lag now that I read these posts, that is bit bad when get too many files just from 1 house etc. Why cant they make it in one file for each Sim download or make? That is crazy. I wonder if this game will not make it long enough? Simcity 5 was just as bad...

Oh I right clicked on Sims 4 game in my games in Origin and there is away to fix the game check it out, I have not done that to repair game yet not sure if I should do that? Has anyone seen that yet and did it and if so what happens to game if you use the right click game and drop down menu to check for updates, repair game etc...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    for sure that is causing game to lag now that I read these posts, that is bit bad when get too many files just from 1 house etc. Why cant they make it in one file for each Sim download or make? That is crazy. I wonder if this game will not make it long enough? Simcity 5 was just as bad...

Oh I right clicked on Sims 4 game in my games in Origin and there is away to fix the game check it out, I have not done that to repair game yet not sure if I should do that? Has anyone seen that yet and did it and if so what happens to game if you use the right click game and drop down menu to check for updates, repair game etc...

It's worked for most people. Since I fixed the issues myself, it actually broke what I had fixed and messed other things up. I just rewrote what they did and fixed it again myself. ETA: From what I could tell, they rewrote the sgr rules file where it lists the Intel cards. Since I had already fixed that part and some other things myself, it changed what I had done and messed things up. So, I just rewrote it again. I didn't check to see what else they changed since that was the only thing I was concerned about but it didn't seem to make any negative differences if you hadn't made changes yourself.

I'm wondering if we can load up all our stuff into a save and then delete the tray and just have our things in a save. Then when we want it again? Just go to that save. Problem is that we are only allowed about 6 saves. So maybe delete the save files and then save whatever is generated after you do this? Has anybody done anything like this? I'll test it later, I'm still building houses so haven't placed any of my Sims. This might be a way to work around that massive tray file, not sure.

ETA2: My one save file has 7 files associated with it. This is really kind of....gah...I really don't want to say anything negative, trying hard to stay positive, but so many files is just ridiculous. Why? Maybe somebody else can explain why everything seems to need so many files generated?
  • Options

It's worked for most people. Since I fixed the issues myself, it actually broke what I had fixed and messed other things up. I just rewrote what they did and fixed it again myself. ETA: From what I could tell, they rewrote the sgr rules file where it lists the Intel cards. Since I had already fixed that part and some other things myself, it changed what I had done and messed things up. So, I just rewrote it again. I didn't check to see what else they changed since that was the only thing I was concerned about but it didn't seem to make any negative differences if you hadn't made changes yourself.

I'm wondering if we can load up all our stuff into a save and then delete the tray and just have our things in a save. Then when we want it again? Just go to that save. Problem is that we are only allowed about 6 saves. So maybe delete the save files and then save whatever is generated after you do this? Has anybody done anything like this? I'll test it later, I'm still building houses so haven't placed any of my Sims. This might be a way to work around that massive tray file, not sure.

ETA2: My one save file has 7 files associated with it. This is really kind of....gah...I really don't want to say anything negative, trying hard to stay positive, but so many files is just ridiculous. Why? Maybe somebody else can explain why everything seems to need so many files generated?

Oh wow okay I will not use repair game for now. lol Thank you so much for this :)
  • Options

Oh wow okay I will not use repair game for now. lol Thank you so much for this :)

If you didn't make any changes to the files yourself, I did, then you shouldn't have any problems. Did you have the demon baby? This update fixes that for people who were getting this because of Intel cards/dual cards. It just made things worst for me because I had made changes to the file myself but it was easy enough to go in and revert it back to the way I had it, lol.

Definitely do the update if you haven't made any changes to the files.

I wonder what it does to mods? I don't have any installed so I don't know.

• Options
    edited September 2014

If you didn't make any changes to the files yourself, I did, then you shouldn't have any problems. Did you have the demon baby? This update fixes that for people who were getting this because of Intel cards/dual cards. It just made things worst for me because I had made changes to the file myself but it was easy enough to go in and revert it back to the way I had it, lol.

the only thing I changed was that tutorial to be 0 turned it off in my options file other then that I do not know how to change anything else in this game. I have mods. no demon baby how do I get demon baby anyways? I have no baby yet for my sim lol

Post edited by EndlessSims3 on
  • Options

the only thing I changed was that tutorial to be 0 turned it off in my options file other then that I do not know how to change anything else in this game. I have mods. no demon baby how do I get demon baby anyways? I have no baby yet for my sim lol

I only know about my own game but I think you should be fine doing the patch. The demon baby sure was a shocker! It kind of cracked me up, actually. Just have a test Sim have a baby, if the bassinet is empty? Odds are good that when you go to pick it up that it will look like a spider freak. You might have to change the options file again, don't know. I did that by changing the properties for the game in Origin itself and that didn't change.
  • Options
    harryjames009harryjames009 Posts: 84 Member
    How am I ever going to sort anything out here, if you want to delete you have almost delete everything then re-install what you want? Seems daft.