Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I rotate lots?

HolleramaHollerama Posts: 652 Member
Ok, so I downloaded a lot from the gallery and put it in my town. I want to rotate the whole lot, not just the building. I figured out how to rotate the building, but the problem is that the lot I'm using is a rectangular, so when I do that, I end up cutting off parts of the building if I rotate it. How can I rotate the whole lot 180 degrees? Or at least turn the building but not lose parts of it as I turn it?

Comments

• uo_2272uo_2272 Posts: 24 Member
    Trying to find a solution to this problem myself.
  • PharseerPharseer Posts: 66 New Member
    > @Hollerama said:
    > Ok, so I downloaded a lot from the gallery and put it in my town. I want to rotate the whole lot, not just the building. I figured out how to rotate the building, but the problem is that the lot I'm using is a rectangular, so when I do that, I end up cutting off parts of the building if I rotate it. How can I rotate the whole lot 180 degrees? Or at least turn the building but not lose parts of it as I turn it?

Would you be so kind as to share with us how you can rotate the building? My lots keep ending up with the mailbox at the back of the house, so my sims have to run all the way around the house every time they are leaving. Hope you find a solution for your issue as well if I find one I will report back with the fix.

Thanks for any help!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    edited September 2014
    Pharseer wrote: »
    > @Hollerama said:<br />
    > Ok, so I downloaded a lot from the gallery and put it in my town. I want to rotate the whole lot, not just the building. I figured out how to rotate the building, but the problem is that the lot I'm using is a rectangular, so when I do that, I end up cutting off parts of the building if I rotate it. How can I rotate the whole lot 180 degrees? Or at least turn the building but not lose parts of it as I turn it?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Would you be so kind as to share with us how you can rotate the building? My lots keep ending up with the mailbox at the back of the house, so my sims have to run all the way around the house every time they are leaving. Hope you find a solution for your issue as well if I find one I will report back with the fix.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks for any help!

When you're in Build mode there's this tab at the top of your screen and one of them is the 'move house' button (I think that's what it's called). Just click on that and click on your house. It's much easier too if your house has all the walls up. And then you jut hit the "<" and ">" keys to rotate.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    You can also move the mailbox if you like.
  • PharseerPharseer Posts: 66 New Member
    > @DeKay said:
    > Pharseer wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > When you're in Build mode there's this tab at the top of your screen and one of them is the 'move house' button (I think that's what it's called). Just click on that and click on your house. It's much easier too if your house has all the walls up. And then you jut hit the "<" and ">" keys to rotate.

Thank you, unfortunately that just moves the house, I need to rotate the entire lot, as sims have to go all the way around it to leave, for some reason gallery lots are put down with the entry not facing the street.

Thanks for any help!
  • Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited September 2014
    You can't. There's no editing of lots.

I'm going to assume that if you reposition the mailbox, that it will reset what the game considers the "front" or entrance point of the lot. If that's not true, then it's something we'll need to request that they fix.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    > @DeKay said:<br />
    > Pharseer wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > When you're in Build mode there's this tab at the top of your screen and one of them is the 'move house' button (I think that's what it's called). Just click on that and click on your house. It's much easier too if your house has all the walls up. And then you jut hit the "" keys to rotate.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Thank you, unfortunately that just moves the house, I need to rotate the entire lot, as sims have to go all the way around it to leave, for some reason gallery lots are put down with the entry not facing the street.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks for any help!

Aw, then I guess you really have to rotate the rooms one by one. :( I'm not too sure about moving the mailbox though. I tried doing that once but the mailbox just goes back to the original position (maybe it's a glitch or something), but maybe you can try that.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • harryjames009harryjames009 Posts: 84 Member
    I am finding the whole rotating lot and house thing frustrating, I think we should "bother the dev's" on this one for a fix.
    Maybe we should revisit the basic problem to be solved. The OP said ...
    Hollerama wrote: »
    Ok, so I downloaded a lot from the gallery and put it in my town. I want to rotate the whole lot, not just the building. I figured out how to rotate the building, but the problem is that the lot I'm using is a rectangular, so when I do that, I end up cutting off parts of the building if I rotate it. How can I rotate the whole lot 180 degrees? Or at least turn the building but not lose parts of it as I turn it?
    The OP himself (herself) stated the problem. The house won't fit on the rectangular house if it's turned sideways. Period. The game tells you this by cutting off parts of the building. It seems clear that the solution is to rearrange the rooms, leave it as it is, or put it on a lot where it fill fit.
    I need to rotate the entire lot, as sims have to go all the way around it to leave, for some reason gallery lots are put down with the entry not facing the street.
    Sims will enter and leave your house by the front door. If you can't rotate the house on the lot, then you'll have to change where the front door is, then click on it and 'set as front door'.
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2014
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that if you reposition the mailbox, that it will reset what the game considers the "front" or entrance point of the lot. If that's not true, then it's something we'll need to request that they fix.

Moving the mailbox didn't work for me. The mailbox was originally on the short side of the lot but I wanted to build a wide house so I moved it to the long side and built the house. It's a corner lot so it fits into the neighborhood perfectly that way, but the game isn't seeing the side with the mailbox as the front. I was going to share it on the gallery, but when I did a test download and tried to place it in a new game, it oriented on the lot backwards, with the back of the house facing the street. I have no idea why, since the mailbox was never on that side of the lot. Also, the pic it takes for the gallery is of the end of the house, not the front, which doesn't help its curb appeal, lol.

Anyway, yes, that would be amazing if they could fix that for us so that all we have to do is move the mailbox in order to get the lot oriented the way we want. I'm not going to upload this one to the gallery because I'd hate for people to download the house and then not be able to place it the way it's supposed to go. And moving just the house wouldn't work because it's got an attached ground level garage and tons of landscaping that wouldn't move along with the house.

KGLsNuM.jpg
    ahholladay wrote: »

Moving the mailbox didn't work
    You're quite right. It doesn't work that way. That's why I wrote a second post about the placement of the front door. I found out through experimentation that the front door is what controls the "front" of the lot. I found it simpler to create a side door on the "correct" side of the house and set it as the front door.
    edited September 2014
    You're quite right. It doesn't work that way. That's why I wrote a second post about the placement of the front door. I found out through experimentation that the front door is what controls the "front" of the lot. I found it simpler to create a side door on the "correct" side of the house and set it as the front door.

Unfortunately, the door I want as the 'front door' is already set to 'front door'.

KGLsNuM.jpg

Unfortunately, the door I want as the 'front door' is already set to 'front door'.

Are you saying that visiting sims don't go to the front door? Or are you having a different problem?

Are you saying that visiting sims don't go to the front door? Or are you having a different problem?

No, that wasn't my issue, that was someone else. As I said above my two problems are that --

1. If I try to test-import the lot from my gallery to another 30x20 lot, the house is oriented backwards on the lot (not facing the street), despite the fact that I have the front of the house designated with both the 'set as front door' and the mailbox being in front. People who download the house may not know how to rotate the house along with the yard and if they try to rotate the house only, the landscaping and garage will be borked. Even knowing how, I lose some of the landscaping on the ends when I rotate that way, even though I'm just flipping the house and fitting it into the exact same size.

2. The automatic screenshot the game takes for the gallery upload is of the short, 20-side of the house which doesn't show the house at all, really, rather than the side I have designated as the front.

For problem #1, I could just say in the description, 'This house will only orient correctly on Bargain Bend in Willow Creek'. For problem #2... I got nuthin'.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    edited September 2014
    2. The automatic screenshot the game takes for the gallery upload is of the short, 20-side of the house which doesn't show the house at all, really, rather than the side I have designated as the front.

For problem #1, I could just say in the description, 'This house will only orient correctly on Bargain Bend in Willow Creek'. For problem #2... I got nuthin'.

If we don't have control over the upload screenshot, that's going to be a big problem. As you say, instant negative curb appeal. If this is a thing, it should probably be reported in one of the SimGurus' threads. I'm not going to be happy if we can't customize the upload screenshots, anyway.
  • MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member

You can ONLY rotate the houses. You can not rotate the lot itself. That's not how the developers created this game. Sorry

Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    If we don't have control over the upload screenshot, that's going to be a big problem. As you say, instant negative curb appeal. If this is a thing, it should probably be reported in one of the SimGurus' threads. I'm not going to be happy if we can't customize the upload screenshots, anyway.

I agree. It sounds silly maybe, but I worked on this house for a couple of days and I want it to look nice in the screenshot, lol. I'm going to watch the 'Ask A Simguru' thread on Monday and maybe ask there if this is a fix that would be do-able for them.

KGLsNuM.jpg
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    They are going to have to fix this.. it's very frustrating and supper annoying!
    no matter what you do the lot gets placed back the front.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    edited September 2014
    Believe it or not, I seem to have found something that works for this!

If you're placing a lot from Manage Worlds, it sometimes comes out oriented backwards, with the back of the house facing the street. To fix this:
    1. Make sure you're in Build Mode.
    2. Click the Lot Information panel on the top navigation bar.
    3. Click the bulldozer and DELETE the current house.
    4. Look for the mailbox on the empty lot. If it's at the back, make sure to move it to the front by the street.
    5. FROM BUILD MODE (do not go back into Manage Worlds), open your Library.
    6. Find the house and bring it into the game again.
    7. Et voila! The house should be oriented toward the front of the lot.

I hope this solves problems for you, @ahholladay, @chesterbigbird, @uo2272 and @hollerama. :)
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited September 2014
    But but...
    KaylyRed wrote: »
    [*] Click the bulldozer and DELETE the current house.
    What if the house isn't in the library (for whatever reason)?

We need Step 2.5, right? ;)

Btw, awsome find on this one, thanks.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member

I have had to give up on several perfect lots because of this.

Obvious oversights like this leads me to believe this is a very unpolished games, regardless of claims to the contrary.

Seriously. You can't rotate a lot so it faces the street properly?
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Believe it or not, I seem to have found something that works for this!

If you're placing a lot from Manage Worlds, it sometimes comes out oriented backwards, with the back of the house facing the street. To fix this:
    1. Make sure you're in Build Mode.
    2. Click the Lot Information panel on the top navigation bar.
    3. Click the bulldozer and DELETE the current house.
    4. Look for the mailbox on the empty lot. If it's at the back, make sure to move it to the front by the street.
    5. FROM BUILD MODE (do not go back into Manage Worlds), open your Library.
    6. Find the house and bring it into the game again.
    7. Et voila! The house should be oriented toward the front of the lot.

I hope this solves problems for you, @ahholladay, @chesterbigbird, @uo2272 and @hollerama. :)

Wow, if only I had know that before! I'm sure to give it a try next time.
  • have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    I have been wanting a larger lot. Can I take a house from a 40x30 and place it on a 50x50?
  • KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    But but...
    [*] Click the bulldozer and DELETE the current house.
    What if the house isn't in the library (for whatever reason)?

We need Step 2.5, right? ;)

Btw, awsome find on this one, thanks.

Well, since the problem occurs when placing a house found in the Library, one must assume it's... already in there. ;)
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• SlyStarDustSlyStarDust Posts: 341 Member
    I managed to get that to work once...and for the life of me I can no longer get it to work. I will copy your steps and do them step by step. Thank you.