Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    emmaning wrote: »
    If TS4 had the TS2 development team, it would be a near perfect game. The issues with TS4 is blurred vision, poor management decisions, and lack of talent. Nowadays everyone and their cousin can be a "programmer", a "digital artist", or a "game developer"--talent is not a requirement and neither is passion.

When you combine all of these factors, the result is a shiny game which lacks personality.

TS2 had a clear vision, able direction, and a highly skilled and passionate dev team. If these devs had just rewritten TS2 for TS4 and threw in TS3 elements like open world, CASt, and the ability to have as much content as you wanted without crashing the game. We wouldn't *need* a TS5.

Add tht to s4 cas, s4 build mode, s4 walk styles, s4 UI and s4 emotions and it might make an impressive sims 5.
    Also if they made the graphics less like 2 & 3 by improving them a little.
    Altho i still prefer s4 gameplay it'd be an intresting idea to try & play.
    If Sims 5 has Sims 4 walk styles that on its own will be a reason for me to be not interested anymore. Same goes for the emotions. The emotions are just there for some gameplay but nothing else. Nothing deeper. And the UI isn't improvement at all.

CAS is nice (though still way too limited) and building mode is a dream that becomes a nightmare once you discover there's no CASt.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    To me Sims4 is a travesty of the franchise . There is way too much wrong with it and it seems like its a childs version or really lightweight . Sims 2 for me kept me the most interested and occupied
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    If TS4 had the TS2 development team, it would be a near perfect game. The issues with TS4 is blurred vision, poor management decisions, and lack of talent. Nowadays everyone and their cousin can be a "programmer", a "digital artist", or a "game developer"--talent is not a requirement and neither is passion.

When you combine all of these factors, the result is a shiny game which lacks personality.

TS2 had a clear vision, able direction, and a highly skilled and passionate dev team. If these devs had just rewritten TS2 for TS4 and threw in TS3 elements like open world, CASt, and the ability to have as much content as you wanted without crashing the game. We wouldn't *need* a TS5.

Add tht to s4 cas, s4 build mode, s4 walk styles, s4 UI and s4 emotions and it might make an impressive sims 5.
    If Sims 5 has Sims 4 walk styles that on its own will be a reason for me to be not interested anymore. Same goes for the emotions. The emotions are just there for some gameplay but nothing else. Nothing deeper. And the UI isn't improvement at all.

CAS is nice (though still way too limited) and building mode is a dream that becomes a nightmare once you discover there's no CASt.
    You can set the walk styles as the default everyone walks the same one ofc.
    The emotions are good tho. I love the UI it's a real improvement. The emotions add nice gameplay.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

The emotions are good tho. I love the UI it's a real improvement. The emotions add nice gameplay.
    I think emotions are the only 'gameplay', since everything revolves around them.

No, there's no escape, because my sims will always end up in some mood that has a walk attached to it. Or they have to go to the loo. And my townies all walk like that as well.
    Sims 3 I play like I drive my car: without thinking. In Sims 4 everything's all over the place. And it's like Astro says, the emotions are the only gameplay. Which takes away their personality. Emotions in this game should be there to build story's, not to paint a certain painting or have an angry poop.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Interesting opinion you have there @emmaning. What do you like about TS4 emotions? I don't use the walk styles (I think they are silly), but I agree, the CAS is pretty decent. I don't like the way fences are handled in TS4 build mode and I don't like that you can't make half floors upwards, but if those things were fixed then I would definitely agree with the build mode. However the UI and emotions are what is probably my biggest pet peeve with the latest iteration. What is it you like about the UI and the emotions system? I'd really like to know your thoughts :smile:

Interesting opinion you have there @emmaning. What do you like about TS4 emotions? I don't use the walk styles (I think they are silly), but I agree, the CAS is pretty decent. I don't like the way fences are handled in TS4 build mode and I don't like that you can't make half floors upwards, but if those things were fixed then I would definitely agree with the build mode. However the UI and emotions are what is probably my biggest pet peeve with the latest iteration. What is it you like about the UI and the emotions system? I'd really like to know your thoughts :smile:

I like the walk styles because they add a little touch of personality to each sim.
    I like the UI because the way it's organised looks so nice and it's always quick to find everything- I don't need to use my brain, I can usually figure out how to use harder UIs but it's nice to just be able to play like I'm brainless. This doesn't mean I like easy games, i hate the easy games personally.
    The emotion system to me makes them feel alive and more fluid. They also seem rlly expressive.
    :)
    feKqkxf.jpg

edited July 2015

I like the walk styles because they add a little touch of personality to each sim.
    I like the UI because the way it's organised looks so nice and it's always quick to find everything- I don't need to use my brain, I can usually figure out how to use harder UIs but it's nice to just be able to play like I'm brainless. This doesn't mean I like easy games, i hate the easy games personally.
    The emotion system to me makes them feel alive and more fluid. They also seem rlly expressive.
    In fact my problem is that the walkstyles don't add a little touch of personality (which they should I agree), because they all walk exactly the same way when they have a certain emotion. The good and the bad, the gloomy and the goofball, when they have an emotion they walk in exactly the same way.
    5JZ57S6.png

In fact my problem is that the walkstyles don't add a little touch of personality (which they should I agree), because they all walk exactly the same way when they have a certain emotion. The good and the bad, the gloomy and the goofball, when they have an emotion they walk in exactly the same way.
    And the emotion bit to me adds an element of fun. But it's fine if you don't like them.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

And the emotion bit to me adds an element of fun. But it's fine if you don't like them.
    True, it's a different approach and it will appeal to one player more than to the other. Same goes for the predecessors by the way. You're lucky you like the approach of the latest version, I really miss looking forward to new stuff ;)
    5JZ57S6.png

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Yw anytime :)
    feKqkxf.jpg

True, it's a different approach and it will appeal to one player more than to the other. Same goes for the predecessors by the way. You're lucky you like the approach of the latest version, I really miss looking forward to new stuff ;)

It's not often they bring out a new one- 5 yrs I think so I feel bad for those who have to play an older one and be dissapointed they can't play the newest one. It's like the game trying to be something and then some loving it while others are sad they'll have to play a game for longer when really they wanted to like & play the newest one.
    feKqkxf.jpg

It's not often they bring out a new one- 5 yrs I think so I feel bad for those who have to play an older one and be dissapointed they can't play the newest one. It's like the game trying to be something and then some loving it while others are sad they'll have to play a game for longer when really they wanted to like & play the newest one.
    Yes. It's not a problem for me right now (because I haven't done everything in 3 yet and some things I look forward to doing again; in fact it's kind of convenient in a way, I felt kind of sad to say goodbye to 3 already), but I don't know how long that will last of course.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Almost one year later... Sims 2 still kicks Sims 4's 🐸🐸🐸🐸! :mrgreen: EA needs to step up their game, especially if an eleven year old game still has a bigger fanbase than the newest one. Lol.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    Almost one year later... Sims 2 still kicks Sims 4's 🐸🐸🐸🐸! :mrgreen: EA needs to step up their game, especially if an eleven year old game still has a bigger fanbase than the newest one. Lol.

Pretty much! I finally had some time yesterday to play Sims. My immediate choice? Sims 2. I can micromanage to my heart's content and not worry about sims being culled.
    They moved this topic to Memory Lane lol. After 10 months :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »

Pretty much! I finally had some time yesterday to play Sims. My immediate choice? Sims 2. I can micromanage to my heart's content and not worry about sims being culled.
    I'm in the process of building my own mountain vacation world. So fun! You can't do that in TS3/4. :) I've already finished one community lot out of who knows, and I don't need to fill some stupid checklist for my lot to be accepted.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • 123w4123w4 Posts: 42 Member
    I love the sims 4! eypecily with all the stuff that came out so far! It runs well and the devolepers REALY ubdate everything and listen to us! I mean tehr may ned time to ubdate lets say the reaction systhem but ther did and stll do! tehr added in the jealosy PLUS turned it into an Trait, and the emotions realy add to the normal sims gameplay! And the Stuff packs ALLWAYS ADD new gameplay and thanks to the Gameplay packs tehr can add some left out gameplay ore tiny gameplay elements that would have less detail in an expensionas tehr ne dto comebine many things in expension packs. I could totaly see the returne of restaurants over gameplay packs! And as much as i like the buisnes theme in gameplaypack form i bet it would have even more detail to it!
    i hope all off the good suff from sims 2 come sback in improved form ofcours
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm going to put my 2 cents in here, in a form of a story.
    I love The Sims, I have bought everything in their franchise ever since my sister introduced me when I was 5. The Sims was amazing for me, it felt like everything was possible.
    The Sims 2 opened up new doors and windows I have never seen before, with places to do and new sims to meet, and even a mystery. I loved to build, I loved to create sims, and I loved to see how their lives would progress. It was a new beginning filled with endless possibilities. Families now had whole new meanings and I could play for hours and hours, generations of sims going on and on.
    Then came The Sims 3, which I loved it's open world. So many new things, the sliders much more realistic and the graphics amazing. I believed that The Sims franchise could only get better, and better, and better.
    So of course when The Sims 4 was publicly announced, I was ecstatic! The Sims 3 was already perfect and I didn't need to ask for more. (except for maybe SP to work ;)) So I wondered what could they possibly do to make the game better?
    I pre-ordered the deluxe version, and when it came in the mail I was so excited to load it up! Installing it was such a bore for the two discs, but then, I told myself "If it has 2 discs, this means it has tons of content, which means it's going to be the best Sims game yet!"
    I was disappointed to not see the little moving thing at the start up, but I didn't mind. Create a Sim was strange to have a blue/green background, but I always knew mods could fix it. And I didn't notice the no toddlers - yet.
    Then came the gameplay. I was utterly, completely disappointed. There was almost no content, no cars, no open world, how was this supposed to be an update to the previous games?
    I decided to make my sim get married and have a kid, and I was so disappointed with the wedding parties. Goals for a party? I didn't want to do any of this!
    Then my sims had a kid and I was so happy for the legs, the moving babies, but I did not like how they were an object. But the multitasking with toddlers would make up for all of this! :)
    Wrong! My baby aged up into a... child?
    I was completely and utterly disappointed, so much that I uninstalled The Sims 4 that day.
    I find 2 better than 4 because 2 had so many options and so much things to do, and I was able to play for hours on end. The Sims 4 was a complete downgrade and currently my discs for it are gathering dust.
    Post edited by KatNip on
  • juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    I haven't given Sims 4 a fair chance yet as my laptop crashed when I tried to play it . The game is on my daughters origin account so when I get my new laptop I'll install it. I've managed to get the ultimate collection Sims 2 from Ea so I've got that to play I love the Sims 3 because of the open world aspect. I love being able to flit between the sims. When I get my new laptop I will give it a fair chance. Sims 2 does seem basic when you get used to sims 3
    Thanking you in advance
    Julie :)
  • SirDerrickTheSimmerSirDerrickTheSimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    Sims 4 is a disappointment.
    Not just to Sims 2 fans.
    Not just to Sims 3 fans.
    BUT TO EVERYBODY.
    [b][/b]ok I might be over-exaggerating but still
    I'm perfectly fine with there being no toddler stage, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE?
    Hell, the only really good thing TS4 has going against TS2 I can think of is the Sims themselves.
    At least in Sims 4 they actually looked like humans instead of demon aliens from another dimension.
    (off topic, new here) just noticed it changes swears to plum
    gg ea
    But I do play Sims 4 from time to time in between hours of 2 and 3. I honestly think it has potential. All Sims games did. Remember when Sims 3 came out and everybody hated it until like 2011?
    All Sims games got more and more interesting as expansions came out over time.
    The Sims got the most interesting in 2001 and on.
    The Sims 2 got the most interesting in 2006 and on.
    The Sims 3 got the most interesting in 2011 and on.
    And if we follow logic like that, Sims 4 will get interesting in 2016 (now) and on.
    But I do play Sims 4 from time to time in between hours of 2 and 3. I honestly think it has potential. All Sims games did. Remember when Sims 3 came out and everybody hated it until like 2011?
    All Sims games got more and more interesting as expansions came out over time.
    The Sims got the most interesting in 2001 and on.
    The Sims 2 got the most interesting in 2006 and on.
    The Sims 3 got the most interesting in 2011 and on.
    And if we follow logic like that, Sims 4 will get interesting in 2016 (now) and on.
    No, not everybody;) If I'd hated Sims 3 I would have never continued playing it. Of course games get better with expansions, but when you compare basegames (Sims 2 and 4)? Apart from that, we've reached "2006" and "2011" with Sims 4, would you say it already lived up to its potential?
    5JZ57S6.png