Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    HattyLou wrote: »
    I think it compares because they have a similar focus...the Sims themselves. For me TS3 was completely devoid of personality, it was just a big expanse of stuff rather than enabling you to connect with your Sims. TS4 seems to have gone back to 'basics' and focused in again on the Sims, making them more quirky and likeable.

At this stage they seem similar, small world, likeable Sims, it will be interesting to see how TS4 progresses. I personally like the new approach with TS4!

True. I totally agree. But Sims 2 had more charm with details like attraction system, less happy sims all the time, fears and etc.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    There is no comparison. Sims 2 is leaps and bounds better than sims 4. The main reason why is because developers actually LOVED sims 2. Most people didn't need convincing to buy the sims 2 because the way they marketed the game made it obvious that the developers were in love with the game too. With sims 4, it's more like they're trying, in every conceivable way, to CONVINCE consumers why they should buy it. That is a red flag.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I started this topic in september 2014 by the way, also because I didn't know Sims 2 back then. Everybody was comparing Sims 3 to 4 and I was curious (because it appeared back then it was mainly Sims 2 fans who liked Sims 4) if they would consider Sims 4 better than 2 (and if so why and if not so why not).

Anyway, it's a really old topic and things changed. We know now Sims 4 has a lot of flaws in the emotions department, one of Sims 2's strongest points.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    What's this I hear? Another bump?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    carby84carby84 Posts: 86 Member
    It's definitely hard to compare to two considering that Sims 2 has a full arsenal of expansions whereas Sims 4 has only just unveiled its first, but the things that Sims 2 introduced (Open for Business and Season especially) where game changing and I remember playing for hours and hours and just having a blast, so 2 definitely has a special place in my heart. That said, I do see Sims 4 taking a similar path. Though very obvious things are missing, I do feel that the gameplay of 4 is a lot closer to 2 than Sims 3 was.
  • Options
    carby84 wrote: »
    It's definitely hard to compare to two considering that Sims 2 has a full arsenal of expansions whereas Sims 4 has only just unveiled its first, but the things that Sims 2 introduced (Open for Business and Season especially) where game changing and I remember playing for hours and hours and just having a blast, so 2 definitely has a special place in my heart. That said, I do see Sims 4 taking a similar path. Though very obvious things are missing, I do feel that the gameplay of 4 is a lot closer to 2 than Sims 3 was.
    Strangely enough it isn't like that for me. I started playing 2 a couple of months ago and it reminds me of 3, not 4. The core of the game isn't EP's I think, it's the basic gameplay. Sims 4 is very scripted and has sims that follow their emotions rather than their traits. That makes it basically different for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    adrian64130adrian64130 Posts: 64 Member
    Sims 2 as it stands now.
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    Blegh! Why can't EA realize this? The gameplay of Sims 2, the open world-like features (better made) of Sims 3, and the graphics and emotions of Sims 4! (Emotions being improved. This. Would. Be. AMAZING.

Never played Sims 2, but I would say from the looks of it, the gameplay definitely looks way better.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    Let me start by saying Sims 2 has always been my absolute favorite generation. Ten years later and I still play it constantly. I don't see myself ever not playing it. That being said, I think the Sims 2 base game was really boring and void of anything to do. Sims 4's base game is packed with solid gameplay and so many advancements that I'd definitely rate this base game over 2's. Which is should be seeing as it's years and years later.

It's true. I've been playing with just the fourth base game for 79 hours and I can't complain.
  • Options
    KarenKaren Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have to say sims 2 because I love it so much and I dont even know why lol. I like the humour in it or something, and the cutscenes and stuff. :) Sims 2 just has a special feel to it compared to the other games.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    S4 is better.
    It tries to be its own game not a sequel which is amazing.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Let's just say if Sims 4 included everything from Sims 4, it would be a near-perfect game.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    edaercangs96edaercangs96 Posts: 214 Member
    I enjoy TS4 but TS2 will always be my favourite.
  • Options
    emmaning wrote: »
    S4 is better.
    If it doesn't try to be a sequel how can it be 'better'? It's just different then.
    (I agree it doesn't try to be a sequel, that conclusion would be too funny)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Enough with the vs stuff...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    S4 is better.
    If it doesn't try to be a sequel how can it be 'better'? It's just different then.

Because it makes it unleash it's true potential of greatness by trying to be its own game.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    S4 is better.

Because it makes it unleash it's true potential of greatness by trying to be its own game.
    And Sims 2 didn't?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Enough with the vs stuff...
    I just realized this is my own topic that's being revived again :scream: I wondered why I kept getting notifications. I created it in september 2014.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    What's the deal with all these new members reviving threads from last year?! I had one of my own brought back from August last year before TS4 was even released. :#
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    S4 is better.

And Sims 2 didn't?

Ok i didn't word it perfectly and must've typed out the sentence too quick so here's the full sentence I meant:
    because being its own game unleashes it's true potential, they don't have to be limited to trying to make it fit wht is already there but they can make a game with potential to be great by making it it's own game. Sequels can be good too but they aren't as good as a whole new game following the same concept. Although there is a series of jrpgs I like the continuous sequels of.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    Let's just say if Sims 4 included everything from Sims 4, it would be a near-perfect game.

Gurrl...are you drunk?

WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    If TS4 had the TS2 development team, it would be a near perfect game. The issues with TS4 is blurred vision, poor management decisions, and lack of talent. Nowadays everyone and their cousin can be a "programmer", a "digital artist", or a "game developer"--talent is not a requirement and neither is passion.

When you combine all of these factors, the result is a shiny game which lacks personality.

TS2 had a clear vision, able direction, and a highly skilled and passionate dev team. If these devs had just rewritten TS2 for TS4 and threw in TS3 elements like open world, CASt, and the ability to have as much content as you wanted without crashing the game. We wouldn't *need* a TS5.
  • Options
    If TS4 had the TS2 development team, it would be a near perfect game. The issues with TS4 is blurred vision, poor management decisions, and lack of talent. Nowadays everyone and their cousin can be a "programmer", a "digital artist", or a "game developer"--talent is not a requirement and neither is passion.

When you combine all of these factors, the result is a shiny game which lacks personality.

TS2 had a clear vision, able direction, and a highly skilled and passionate dev team. If these devs had just rewritten TS2 for TS4 and threw in TS3 elements like open world, CASt, and the ability to have as much content as you wanted without crashing the game. We wouldn't *need* a TS5.
    I'm beginning to fear it's a matter of budget rather than talent.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Add tht to s4 cas, s4 build mode, s4 walk styles, s4 UI and s4 emotions and it might make an impressive sims 5.
    Also if they made the graphics less like 2 & 3 by improving them a little.
    Altho i still prefer s4 gameplay it'd be an intresting idea to try & play.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I never had the Sims 2 base by itself, I bought it in a pack that included Nightlife, so I'm not sure how it compares purely base to base. But since I have one EP for Sims 4 now too, I can compare 1 EP to 1 EP in. I like some things Sims 4 has added and there are definite improvements in overall look (although I don't like the oversaturated look of the environments and the lack of fine details). But for gameplay, I love Sims 2 more. I feel compelled to do what they are asking to do, and I enjoy fulfilling their wishes because there is a point. In Sims 4, there is no real impetus to do anything. Yeah, you get a check mark, but there's no ultimate fulfillment in it for me.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01