Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    Thetford wrote: »
    The Sims 4 has had me doing something that I haven't done for years, have that "just one more day" feeling, where I end up playing until about 5 or 6 in the morning, not noticing how time has passed.

For me, 4 is more like 1 and 2, where you can essentiaĺly just drop in and play (as opposed to 3 where after getting a few EPs, you essentially have to reorganise the entire town and set up infrastructure before one can play without feeling something is missing, that is what killed 3 for me).
    Maybe you ought to reread the title of this topic. They want you to choose between 2 and 4.
    (an hour and a half is my PR in S4 by the way and that was building)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Agreed that sims 4 base game is much much better than sims 2 . But the fact is sims 2 has all the amazin EPs and tones of mods contents, and sims 4 is currently just sims 4 with nothing much... Ergo, I am still playing sims 2 unfortunately ... I have sims 4 but I just played for less than a week and got back to sims 2. I am sure in a couple of years sims 4 will be a great game, I will just wait patiently while enjoying sims 2 :)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Well, if we are going to compare both base games, I must say that I prefer the Sims 2, but only because it feels more complete than the Sims 4. In terms of graphics, UI, neigboorhoods, sim and house making and sharing and how smooth and cool animations go, I prefer the Sims 4 but because it's lacking elements like toddlers, carpools, npc's, story progression, doorlocks and others I feel like the base game doesn't get cut it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    The Sims 4 has had me doing something that I haven't done for years, have that "just one more day" feeling, where I end up playing until about 5 or 6 in the morning, not noticing how time has passed.

For me, 4 is more like 1 and 2, where you can essentiaĺly just drop in and play (as opposed to 3 where after getting a few EPs, you essentially have to reorganise the entire town and set up infrastructure before one can play without feeling something is missing, that is what killed 3 for me).

I agree.

• Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Well, if we are going to compare both base games, I must say that I prefer the Sims 2, but only because it feels more complete than the Sims 4. In terms of graphics, UI, neigboorhoods, sim and house making and sharing and how smooth and cool animations go, I prefer the Sims 4 but because it's lacking elements like toddlers, carpools, npc's, story progression, doorlocks and others I feel like the base game doesn't get cut it.
    So you prefer Sims 4 gameplay to Sims 2 gameplay? (basegame wise I mean?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    Sims 2 definitely, I'd pick TS2 over the whole series to be honest. I love TS3, I'm okay with TS4 and I never got to play TS1 on PC :'(
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    I don't know if you guys didn't notice but we're only comparing Sims 2 to Sims 4 here..
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    The Sims 2. There shouldn't even be a comparison as Sims 4 is a piece of rubbish compared to any other sims game in the series.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2015
    For me, if it's only between those two, I would stick with s2. In fact, I have reinstalled it recently and I've been playing some of it last week alongside the others.

And even as a base game (which I had a long time until Nightlife, but even then, my sims didn't go downtown or use cars much, etc), TS2 was and still is better than ts4. Ts4 feels like an imitator with better graphics. Ts2 has more polished life stages, rotational play, more detailed animation (and more mature make out sessions, lol), more sandbox and better AI that actually reacts to events. Ts2 wishes actually make sense and are adjusted according to personality, aspiration, and any major life changing events.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Like I said, I feel like Sims 2 wins for me because, again, it feels more complete, with more family play elements, and other little things like the carpools and such that are not present in the sims 4 I think I was clear in my comment :|
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Like I said, I feel like Sims 2 wins for me because, again, it feels more complete, with more family play elements, and other little things like the carpools and such that are not present in the sims 4 I think I was clear in my comment :|
    Sorry, my bad. I thought you meant 'more complete' because there were EP's, overlooked you mentioned base games.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    There's no comparison. Sims 4 is thee worst main Sims game ever. Sims 1,2,3 > Sims 4
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I really like seeing how everyone supports TS2 and the comparison to TS4 - I often feel as though I may be the only one who feels the same, but I'm glad that I'm not.

I actually tried playing TS3 yesterday because I wondered how I would compare base games, right here, right now. I didn't like TS3 very much. I did enjoy the amount of stuff that was in the game, but at the same time, it felt clumsy and I was ultimately bored of the open world after 30-40 minutes. However, I did end up revisiting Ambitions, and I learned that I enjoyed Ambitions a lot more than I did a few years ago when it was released. Oddly enough, I also found TS3 to be a lot more boring and clunky than I remembered.

TS2, for me, has always had a solid base game. I did play the TS2 base game quite a bit, but I must admit, TS4 has a lot more stuff to do. The interaction between Sims in TS4 is far more advanced, and makes a lot of interactions more easier and fun to do. I definitely think that TS4 has a solid foundation of social interaction in the game with other Sims, but they need to open it up a lot more. I want to do group/trio/duo interactions more often that are fun to do and are different. I would really like to see fancy restaurants, cafes, etc. I think that they could create a layout for shops and stuff, and then just reuse that same layout for different venues. They could recycle some animations/functions, but with different routing paths and/or objects, if applicable.

One thing I like about TS2, though, is how great the lifestages are. Like I said, TS4 has that foundation of great social play, but it is really only amongst teens/young adults/adults. Children are a lot of fun to play, and I do like the interactions you can do with the baby. I did get used to the baby being in a bassinet after playing TS2. It's cool that you could walk around with your baby and stuff, but I noticed that my Sims would often put the baby on the floor and it would just sit there. I then realised that I preferred TS4. However, I like that TS2 had lifestages that felt like they meant something. In TS4, it doesn't really feel like the baby lifestage "matters" that much. That's why I would really like to see toddlers ... toddlers, to me, felt like the bridge between baby and child. Even though child has always been in the game, I actually prefer playing the toddler because it is so different, and in between the baby/child. I always liked TS2 for how they approached family play, and I wish that TS4 had more of that approach.

Ultimately, I have to say that I enjoy TS4 a lot more in terms of base games. TS2, to me, did feel "secluded/isolated". I play TS4 and see the backdrops and everything ... I really enjoy them, and it makes the game feel alive to an extent. I also really like having the "goals" in TS4 for social events and whatnot. I do think that they need to last longer, because the social events don't really feel "established" in the allotted time that they give. I would like to see an option to have "extended" hours, where they go on for double or triple the amount of time. It would be slightly harder to level up, but not by much. I also think that you should be able to turn off the goals so that people can play a more sandbox-y game. I would also really like to see toddlers back in the game to give more weight to the earlier lifestages.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    There's no comparison. Sims 4 is thee worst main Sims game ever. Sims 1,2,3 > Sims 4

tumblr_mv6my8MtWt1rqlnsko1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    colton147 wrote: »

I want to give you both a lol and a like but..well...for now...I'll just do the LOL :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

483ef0911f5e27073a015b45aee7a288b9c8d3bfa104f8bfe6625572f97cfa52.jpg
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Image Removed.

62051-Grumpy-Cat-YES-vnq0.jpeg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Image Removed.]
    snip
    serious-cat-is-not-amused-big.jpg
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options

Whenever I see that cat, I just laugh so hard... It's so cute and funny at the same time. <3
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    You know all this talk about TS2 actually made me vaguely remember a promising hilarious mod that unfortunately vanished from the light of the Earth;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLqV_9lkzU

This needs to be done again. It is amusing to no end.

Anyways, yeah, TS2 = a proper, balanced and excellent sequel. That hasn't been accomplished again neither by TS3 nor TS4. And to me, the fact that I was able to pour so many hours into TS2 from the moment it was released even though my play style was not really there is quite telling of the quality of the game. Granted TS3 gave me everything I had wanted in the series, and what it didn't/half-baked it I fixed it anyways, but this is a thread solely about TS2 and TS4 so I'll leave that out.

I will always feel like TS2 had the right formula going, and had they maintained it the series would have been a whole lot better.
  • Options

Whenever I see that cat, I just laugh so hard... It's so cute and funny at the same time. <3
    It's what I use to combat your unamused dog image you constantly use. :mrgreen:
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    PheobelisPheobelis Posts: 45 Member
    I have played the Sims 2 on and off since day one. I can't compare TS2 to TS4 right now but I can say that TS4 as that same feeling that got me hooked on TS2. Sadly, I can't say that about TS3.
  • Options

It's what I use to combat your unamused dog image you constantly use. :mrgreen:

bc7.png
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    HollowVoid wrote: »
    You know all this talk about TS2 actually made me vaguely remember a promising hilarious mod that unfortunately vanished from the light of the Earth;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLqV_9lkzU

Near the end with the cab driver ... that was hilarious. I remember seeing that all the time with the cab drivers.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    GeeJawGeeJaw Posts: 45 Member
    In my opinion 4 has the best base game. Sorry to everyone who thinks otherwise...It's just, TS2 had barely anything and TS3 was boring without expansions. TS4 has no expansions and I haven't stopped playing it
    2a4wpqp.jpg