Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Story Progression - Any Updates?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone here plans to work on story progression? (when the decompiling and such is sorted out ofc)
J. M. Pescado mentioned he may do some modding for TS4, but not which areas, is there anyone else that may be working on one?

Basically the essential mod for me before continuing playing properly is story progression, and keeping the progress in households when switching - as apparently TS4 doesn't have that down pat, or any story progression at all.

Any pointers to the individual blogs/forums would be handy as well.

Thank you in advance. :D
Signature02.jpg

Comments

• Options
    EudanilEudanil Posts: 85 Member
    *Added*

Posted in here as I'm looking into learning how to mod with Python and would really like to learn to add modules to whomever is working on it :)
    Signature02.jpg
  • Options
    jtravers88jtravers88 Posts: 591 Member
    It appears that sims left in the home lot have some simulation occur, for instance to make sure needs are filled, but I don't know as there are any core routines that simulate npc sims except for aging and baby making.

I wouldn't expect to see a story progression mod from anyone in the near future.

What I would like to see is the developers start tackling this to some extent, once they get significant feedback on gameplay. But it would be a significant game redesign wouldn't it?
  • Options
    I'm not too sure, though theoretically it doesn't seem too hard to do (as universal aging is a feature). Reading how it was done in TS3, TS4 implementation would be different though similar.

After I finish some of my Uni assignments I'll start looking into the files myself and see if I can make some simple mods, after which are (hopefully) successful will start looking into doing a more large scale. Though if someone starts working on it earlier it would be good to know what features they are looking to implement.
    Signature02.jpg
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited September 2014
    I think all sims are left on the lot actually, including the original instance of the on e you're playing on another lot :) Well thats how it was in TS2 anyway, I am assumimg it is similar
  • Options
    That should be fine, just need to have the non-current households progress in work, relationships, and pregnancies/adoption. The problem I imagine would be the equalising of the relationships and children limits.
    All in due time :).
    Signature02.jpg
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited September 2014
    What I would like to see is something much less ambitious than a full story progression mod: just something that lets sims meet people and advance relationships at work/school. Don't even care if the other sims my sim is meeting at work have the same job :p We can pretend they met at the diner on their lunch break!

I'm used to my child sims, especially, pairing up with their best school friend when they get to high school, and often spending a lifetime with them (not because I have romantic ideas about love, but because it is just the most efficient way to pair em up ;) )
    Eudanil wrote: »
    After I finish some of my Uni assignments I'll start looking into the files myself and see if I can make some simple mods, after which are (hopefully) successful will start looking into doing a more large scale. Though if someone starts working on it earlier it would be good to know what features they are looking to implement.

I'd say go for it... even if somebody else does a story progression mod, everybody wants different features (we had two rather different choices each with a LOT of options for TS3, and even so people always had complaints and suggestions).

There's more information about working with the Python and the data files here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=701
  • Options
    Thank you @Srikandi715, I've had that forum open since Friday when I read that it will be using Python. :)

Will give it a crack after all the rest of the ones I want to do then, by then there will be more information out and about. :D
    Signature02.jpg
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I would like a way to mark individual households to not develop their own stories. Sometimes we have a few families we prefer to manage ourselves. But I would like the auto-ageing settings to remain seperate from progression as they were in TS3 so a marked family can age but not progress or vice versa.
  • Options
    jtravers88jtravers88 Posts: 591 Member
    edited September 2014
    Eudanil wrote: »
    I'm not too sure, though theoretically it doesn't seem too hard to do (as universal aging is a feature). Reading how it was done in TS3, TS4 implementation would be different though similar.<br />
    <br />

But they didn't get the universal aging right. The status of discussion box doesn't match the age in many cases after an age up. I'm playing a game where Nancy Landgraab is so screwed up from bugs I stopped talking to her.

Look at my post with the pics...forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/780777/simguruwhoever-the-glaring-bugs-ive-found-so-far
  • Options
    Gailwhit4Gailwhit4 Posts: 116 Member
    I find it ridiculously tedious to play other families I'm not even interested in, just to knock them up for some fresh blood. My kids will need someone to play with or marry as they age up. And then after playing other families, they are marked as Playable when I want them to be Unplayable. I haven't found an option to change that.

I used to get a thrill seeing the families in the neighborhood progress and have their own legacies. Now I feel like I have to add new Sims with kids into the neighborhood just to have new children. I don't get to know these Sims.

In TS3 I was a legacy player; always have been. And I would have kids and send them out into the neighborhood when they grew up. I got to see them get married and have kids. I had the auto try for baby on, ALWAYS. But with TS4, it'll be a nuisance to have to play them and knock them up when all I'm interested in is playing my legacy family.

I don't expect a story progression mod (let's face it; I don't expect anything when it comes to this game and I sure as hell don't blame the mod creators for not wanting to touch it), but I would forever appreciate one!
    <3WhitneyXD
    Gallery ID: WhitneyMichelleR
  • Options
    Blackfairy47Blackfairy47 Posts: 30 Member
    Yes, I would love to see a story progression mod and add apartment mod. I would like others in my household but not managed by me. At this rate, I couldn't ask what they do for a living.
  • Options
    > @jtravers88 said:
    >
    > But they didn't get the universal aging right. The status of discussion box doesn't match the age in many cases after an age up. I'm playing a game where Nancy Landgraab is so screwed up from bugs I stopped talking to her.
    >
    > Look at my post with the pics...forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/780777/simguruwhoever-the-glaring-bugs-ive-found-so-far

Odd, be sure to post the bugs here so it gets addressed (screenshots and all): answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs
    Signature02.jpg