Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roof issue in a house...

tumblr_nbf7d3DQ281tijkr7o1_1280.png

I built this house and I dig it and stuff but… this hunk of roof. wth?

Before I edited the bathroom and the small bedroom the roof went through those also but nothing I do seems to get rid of it in that spot, and the worst part… it makes them not be able to use the stairs, it seems. hrmph

Any ideas? (you can reply here or on my tumblr post about it)
HSon1Mq.png

Comments

• ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    Ok...I actually know the answer on this one! For the roof to disappear it has to be in a room. The game uses rooms...a moveable block unit...to determine when roofing is erased or not. What you will most likely have to do is place a new room section there and then stretch it to match the floorplan of the hallway...if that makes sense. The hall needs to be its own complete moveable block and that should take care of it.
  • DavlanDavlan Posts: 87 Member
    I assume you already tried to sledgehammer it?
  • VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    I had this same issue with my most recent build and it would only appear when I attached a railing near the wall where the roof was touching it. I tried placing a new room near the wall (where the roof was) and soon as I replaced those walls with fences, the roof came crashing in! I ended up having to put the fencing on the opposite wall away from the roof wall. It was frustrating, but it enabled me to rethink my layout and it turned out better than my original layout. Hope someone finds a fix around this, I literally spent a day trying to figure out what was causing the issue, for me it was the railing/fencing on the second floor where I attached mid roofing :(
  • simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    Ok...I actually know the answer on this one! For the roof to disappear it has to be in a room. The game uses rooms...a moveable block unit...to determine when roofing is erased or not. What you will most likely have to do is place a new room section there and then stretch it to match the floorplan of the hallway...if that makes sense. The hall needs to be its own complete moveable block and that should take care of it.

I just saved it and it is a move-able block, I even deleted it and re-placed it, no dice.
    Davlan wrote: »
    I assume you already tried to sledgehammer it?

Yeah but it deletes the whole roof section and when I try to re-do it so it's where I want it it shows right back up in the house again.
    Veriona wrote: »
    I had this same issue with my most recent build and it would only appear when I attached a railing near the wall where the roof was touching it. I tried placing a new room near the wall (where the roof was) and soon as I replaced those walls with fences, the roof came crashing in! I ended up having to put the fencing on the opposite wall away from the roof wall. It was frustrating, but it enabled me to rethink my layout and it turned out better than my original layout. Hope someone finds a fix around this, I literally spent a day trying to figure out what was causing the issue, for me it was the railing/fencing on the second floor where I attached mid roofing :(

That made me wonder if fence inside makes the roof think it's outside so I tried without fence and no luck, I tried moving the fence & stairs to the other side which still left the roof in there... I left the stairs on the other side but I ended up removing that whole area of roof and changed the deck a bit so that the roof didn't need to go over as far... I don't like it as much but at least the hunk of roof inside is gone *sigh*

Pictures
    HSon1Mq.png
  • VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    I feel your frustration. I thought roofing issues were non-existent till I added the mid floor roofing and started working on the inside, le sigh. I tried covering the roof with walls, but realized the windows would be blocked off by walls, not pretty. Hopefully someone in the know can tell us what causes this and how to avoid it during future builds. I always build the exterior first then work around the inside so now I have to plan and map out the inside first and work around it outside :/

• ellie_sims4_helpellie_sims4_help Posts: 1 New Member
    I had the same thing I was building my house and I had just finished and it looked perfect I go to furnish the house I just built and my second floor is full of roofs now I am frustrated because every time I try to get rid of them it just gets rid of the whole roof rather then the bit inside the house. What do I do. HELP!
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    Have you tried using the smaller arrows on the roof to shrink the excess roof that touches the wall @simfeetunder? Don't suddenly recall was it Shift or Alt which to press so that only 1 side gets shrunk (otherwise it will affect both sides). If you haven't yet, give it a try since none of the other suggestions have worked.
  • JuiceboxQueenJuiceboxQueen Posts: 77 Member
    I didn't know about that trick. Thank you for sharing that @Gwiniel
  • GusCats420GusCats420 Posts: 1 New Member
    @Gwiniel I’ve been suffering this issue as well, have tried all above mentioned things and also tried the little arrows to make it smaller. I still have a little bit of roof sticking through my 2nd and 3rd story