Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

COURT MAFIA

TurnerTurner Posts: 10,743 Member
edited September 2014 in Off Topic Chat
Welcome to....
COURT_MAFIA.jpg

3915679.png

It will follow the same basic format of regular mafia, with night and day. Each night, the mafia choose one person to target and kill. But each day will consist of a new "Trial".

ROLES

Citizen (VT)
Mafia
1 Detective (town-aligned)(anonymous)
1 Judge (town-aligned OR mafia-aligned)(known by public)

This will be a Day-Start game, and roles will be revealed upon death.

3915682.png

At the start of each day, there will be an "Accusation Period" which lasts for 4 hours. This is when everyone can talk freely, and anyone (except the Judge and those in Jail) can file a case and bring someone to court on the account of suspected murder.

You can only file one case per day (unless you officially cancel your previous accusation to make another), and cannot bring someone to court two days in a row.

If more than one person files a case at the start of day, the Judge will choose which case to take.
If no one makes an accusation by the allotted time, there will be no court session that day, and we'll go straight back into nighttime.

Once the Judge accepts a case, the Plaintiff (person accusing) will have an option to hire an attorney/lawyer to represent them. The Defendant (person accused of the crime) will also have the opportunity to hire an attorney/lawyer, but to help defend them.

Everyone else will form the Jury.

3915709.png

The Judge is immune from Night Kills, as he/she will be sleeping in their protected home.
The Judge chooses each case that goes into trial for the day.
In the event of a tie or indecision between the jury, the Judge makes the final decision. (court sessions will have a 12-hour time limit, since this is supposed to be a shorter game :b )

3915706.png
If they help their client win their case (regardless of outcome), they are immune for one night.

3915696.png

Once a case has been accepted by the Judge, it's hiring time! All eligible lawyers (everyone except the Judge, Plaintiff, Defendant, and those in jail) can try to be hired by either party, by saying "Lawyer for hire! Preferred client: Defendant (or) Plaintiff".

I will then keep an updated "Lawyers for Hire" list, listing each lawyer that's available to be hired by each client.
NOTE: Please only put yourself on the list if you are going to be relatively active within the next 10 hours, the length of each court session.

Added to the list will be the stats of how good each lawyer available for hire is. ;) So everyone will have a ranking, which will carry over into future Court Mafia games. ;D So be careful before you make yourself hireable. You want to make sure it's a case you can win for yourself and your selected client.

The Plaintiff and Defendant will have a short time to pick and choose which lawyer to hire from those available for them. If no one wants to be their lawyer, they don't get one. :P
If they don't choose in time, I'll pick the lawyer with the best current ranking (that is, has the most wins).

A lawyer is very desirable to hire since they have the sole power to put someone on the stand.

3915699.png

In this polished version of the game, the Jury is NOT allowed to talk publicly on the thread during a court session, except to Vote: Guilty and Unvote.

Instead, I will set up a group PM with all the people on the Jury for that day, and they will be free to discuss the game as they desire. The Judge, Plaintiff, Defendant, and Lawyer(s) will not have access to this private Jury chat.

[If someone on the Jury talks on the thread when they aren't supposed to, they will be sent to jail for the rest of the day and the following night, for interrupting a court session]

HOWEVER. A lawyer from either side has the power to put ONE person from the Jury on the stand for questioning. A lawyer can only put one person on the stand per court session. The lawyer may dismiss this person whenever, but once dismissed that person can't come back on the stand unless the other side's lawyer chooses to put them back on the stand.

Once a Jury member is on the stand, they are free to post on the thread and say whatever they want to convince the Judge of a certain position, or, if they are the Detective, claim their role and bring some evidence into light.

3915700.png

The Detective will be chosen randomly and guaranteed to be town-aligned. The Detective has the power to investigate one person per night. The Mafia each night will choose a single member to do the crime, so if the Detective chooses the correct person to follow, they will be told the identity of the murderer.

The Detective at this point now has a decision to make. Either...

A) try and subtly reveal this person as part of the mafia but avoid any suspicion in fear the Mafia will target to kill him/her next, knowing he/she may be the detective,
or,
B ) request a lawyer to put them on the stand, where they can reveal their evidence and be rewarded immunity (cannot be killed) for the next two nights.

When requesting a lawyer to put you on the stand, you may post on the thread saying "I'd like to be placed on the stand, because ....."
Each lawyer has the chance to deny or accept this person's request.

Anyone can be put on the stand, detective or not. The only people who can't be put on the stand are the Judge and those in Jail.
A lawyer can put them self on the stand, their client, or even the Defendant/Plaintiff and their Lawyer on the other side if desired.

3915702.png

Once on the stand, you have the opportunity to claim to be the Detective, detective or not. To officially claim, you must say
Claim: Detective
...and then reveal any evidence you may have found.

Reward for Claiming: Claiming detective grants you immunity by the Judge for the following night, for speaking up in a criminal trial.

Consequences of Claiming: You are Under Oath once you claim, and if at any point you are caught in your lie (if you claim Detective when you're not and the true Detective is revealed upon death; revealing false evidence, aka saying you saw a certain person kill someone else, and that person is revealed town upon death), you will be sent to jail for the following 2 days and night.

THE LIE DETECTOR TEST

If another person claims Detective when someone else already has, the two must face a Lie Detector Test, which is just me revealing who lied and if anyone is telling the truth.

If exposed as a liar, they will go to jail for the next 2 days and night.
If one was telling the truth, that person will receive immunity if they hadn't already received it.

3915711.png
Once the court session begins, the Lawyers on both sides have a chance to give an opening statement, attempting to defend their client. The Jury is not allowed to vote until each Lawyer has given their opening statement.

The Jury is allowed to vote 'GUILTY' or 'NOT GUILTY' at any point, and are allowed to 'Unvote' as well.
So, in your post, you would say: Vote: GUILTY (must be in bold to be official)

The jury reaches their verdict once a majority find the Defendant guilty or not guilty.

If the Jury’s verdict is guilty, the Defendant is executed (lynched).
- If found Guilty (mafia) on reveal, the Plaintiff is rewarded immunity (cannot be killed) for the next two nights.
- If innocent on reveal, the Plaintiff must face jail for the following night and day, for falsely accusing the Defendant.

If the Jury’s verdict is innocent, the Defendant gets one night immunity, and cannot be accused the following day. Since they are still alive, their role is not revealed.

3915712.png
In Jail, you may not bring someone to court, although you can be brought to court by someone else.
You are not apart of the Jury, so you cannot vote or engage in the discussion on the thread or the Jury Chat.
You cannot be hired as a lawyer either.
You have a post restriction: may only post court and jail-related gifs and images on the thread. If you become too obnoxious, the Bailiff (NPC) will take you away to Isolation where you lose ALL ability to communicate.
You may be killed at night.

3915713.gif
This is when a single player leads a revolt against authority, and brings the Judge to trial. The only way to do this is to rally up citizens still alive and come to a 2/3rds decision to bring the Judge to court. If this person cannot get enough people on board with their plan within the allotted time (~3 hours), their revolt ends and another revolt cannot be started until the next day.

If the person who started the revolt is successful in rallying 2/3rds of the citizens up, a new court session will begin.
Anyone who agrees and wants to join in on the revolt must say: "Vote: REVOLT". [you can unvote at any time]

At this point, the Judge hires an attorney to represent them in the court of law.

Person who led the revolt is the Plaintiff, who can hire a lawyer as well if they want.

-->If Judge is found innocent by the Jury, Plaintiff is sentenced to death.

-->If Judge is found guilty by the Jury, Plaintiff replaces the deceased Judge. (regardless of Judge's alignment)

ADDITIONAL NOTES (which will continue to be updated if anything should come up)

- Someone cannot accuse or be accused in a trial two days in a row, unless there are no other options

- Official requests to take someone to court can still be made during the time of a Revolt, however, the Judge may not take any of them until the Revolt ends.

- The Accusation Period of 4 hours will continue once a Revolt ends.

- The leader of the Revolt can end it whenever, by saying
Vote: End Revolt

- You may not lead a revolt two days in a row.

- Mafia cannot lead a revolt against their own mafia-aligned Judge.
(Mafia can still lead a revolt, just not if the Judge is also mafia)

- Once a side takes up a Lawyer, the two are allowed to discuss any aspect of the game through private chat. :)
So hiring a lawyer gives you temporary mason abilities. :P
I must be added to the chat, however, so that you don't continue to talk after the court session has ended for that day.

- Once we hit 6 players, Lawyers will cease to exist. The Defendant and Plaintiff will, however, be able to put someone on the stand.

- A Plaintiff or Defendant without a lawyer must ask permission from the Judge before approaching the stand.

Turner wrote: »
emilzydiva wrote: »
Lissa do this.

First gif be a reaction to case against alleen

second gif be a reaction to case against jake

This is similar to Morse Code, which is one of the very few ways a silenced person or someone "in jail" can communicate. I'll allow it. :)

During actual court sessions, however, I don't think someone in jail should be able to post AT ALL...... UNLESS. They are called on the stand. ;)

And for future reference, people in jail are NOT ALLOWED to agree, disagree, or like a game-related post. It's an unfair advantage for someone who uses Firefox, because those people can see who made the reaction, while others who don't use firefox cannot.

Post edited by Turner on

Comments

• TurnerTurner Posts: 10,743 Member
    edited September 2014
    ALL POSSIBLE ACTIONS

So here is a list of all the possible actions you can make throughout the game. As always, must be in bold to make it official.

During the Accusation Period:

I want to take ____ to court because ....
    Cancel my court request.
    Vote: Start Revolt
    Vote: Revolt
    Unvote (for the revolt)
    Vote: End Revolt (only by the revolt leader)
    Court Case Accepted: ____ vs ____. (only said by the Judge)

Hiring Phase:

Lawyer available for hire! Preferred Client: The Plaintiff
    Lawyer available for hire! Preferred Client: The Defendant
    Lawyer available for hire! Preferred Client: Either
    I am no longer available for hire (you are taken off the Lawyers For Hire list)
    Hire: _____ (said by the Plaintiff or Defendant to pick which lawyer to hire from those available)
    Self-Represent: I ain't got enough cash to hire myself a lawyer! (you don't have to say that XD)

Court Session:

Opening Statement: ....
    Vote: GUILTY
    Vote: NOT GUILTY
    UNVOTE
    Put ____ on the stand! (only said by a lawyer)
    May I approach the stand, Judge? (only said by a lawyer, OR a Plaintiff/Defendant WITHOUT a lawyer)
    Dismiss ____ from the stand. (only said by same lawyer)
    Permission Granted (said by Judge to Lawyer, or the Plaintiff/Defendant when requesting to approach the stand themselves)
    Claim: Detective (only said by someone on the stand, grants immunity only after they share some piece of information, whether true or false)

Post edited by Turner on
    edited September 2014
    PLAYERS

1. Renee :rage:
    2. Lissa :weary:
    3. Emily :rage:
    4. Skelda :rage:
    5. Maj :rage:
    6. CM :weary:
    7. Shannen :weary:
    8. Alleen :mrgreen:
    9. Rockley (JUDGE) :mrgreen:o:)
    10. Jake :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: = alive
    o:) = Immune from tonight's killing.
    :no_mouth: = In Jail
    :weary: = Executed
    :rage: = Killed by Mafia

Post edited by Turner on
    edited September 2014
    For the TL;DR's, who've also played before, basically all that's different is that Jury members can't talk on the thread unless they are on the stand (which is more realistic in a court session anyway and it puts more stress on the role of the Lawyers), and I've added a Detective role. Also, there's a new "Lawyer System" which should be fun. :b

It's only slightly more confusing than the test-run.... If anyone doesn't understand it now, hopefully, as we play through it, it will start to make more sense.

Last time we had just 8 players, so I'm hoping we can play with a bit more than that this time. :P

We'll start Friday evening, assuming we get plenty more people to play by then.
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    oooo...I'm playing....me...me...me!!!
  • MajestykMajestyk Posts: 2,624 Member
    Sounds fine. Can't wait to start. HEY PEOPLE JOIN!
  • MarvelissaMarvelissa Posts: 9,456 Member
    Yay! Join people! Join! xD
    Mafia Stats:
    Games Played: 59 | Wins: 31 | Losses: 27 | Draws: 1
    Scum: 14 | Town: 40 | Third: 5
    Scum Wins: 5 | Town Wins: 25 | Third Party Wins: 1
    Alive: 18 | Nightkilled: 16 | Lynched: 18 | Endgamed: 3 | Other: 5
  • ShannenShannen Posts: 2,811 Member
    Good Afternoon, this looks rather complicated but if it's alright, I would like to join.
    Shannen wrote: »
    Good Afternoon, this looks rather complicated but if it's alright, I would like to join.

Yay! Shannen! Hi!

It's not quite as complicated in practice as it looks. :P
    Mafia Stats:
  • ShannenShannen Posts: 2,811 Member
    Hello! ;) I hope you are right Lissa. :)
  • AlleenmensAlleenmens Posts: 18,723 Member
    Me ;)
  • thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    I'd join because I REALLY liked the last one, but I have to work three days in a row starting tomorrow and I won't be available :(
  • EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    One more once shannen and alleen are added!

And hi alleen, havent met you before!
    We've got eight so far.

1. Renee
    2. Lissa
    3. Emily
    4. Skelda
    5. Maj
    6. CM
    7. Shannen
    8. Alleen

Right?
    Hopefully we'll get a few more. Maybe Hello or Katie? idk.

Also hi Alleen!
    And sorry you can't play Harry :(
    Mafia Stats:
    emilzydiva wrote: »
    One more once shannen and alleen are added!

And hi alleen, havent met you before!

Hi.. :)
    Marvelissa wrote: »

Yay! Shannen! Hi!

Glad to have you on board, Shannen! :)

Like Lissa said, once you start playing, it's a lot simpler. :P I just have a habit of over-explaining things and making sure each and every detail is accounted for.
    edited September 2014
    Alleenmens wrote: »
    Me ;)

I'm surprised to see you here, Alleen! :mrgreen: I guess you really enjoyed Haylo's mafia game? Haha. :P
    This version is a BIT more complicated (perhaps a lot more complicated), but hopefully you'll get the hang of it. :)

I'd join because I REALLY liked the last one, but I have to work three days in a row starting tomorrow and I won't be available :(

Ah, that's too bad. Hopefully next time you'll be able to join. :)

We've got eight so far.

1. Renee
    2. Lissa
    3. Emily
    4. Skelda
    5. Maj
    6. CM
    7. Shannen
    8. Alleen

Right?

Also hi Alleen!

Yes, I believe we have 8 for now. I also hope we can get a few more, 12 would be preferable, but I'm not sure we'll be able to get that or not. :p

Yay! Shannen! Hi!

Glad to have you on board, Shannen! :)

Like Lissa said, once you start playing, it's a lot simpler. :P I just have a habit of over-explaining things and making sure each and every detail is accounted for.

I overexplain things too. Have you seen me try to explain stuff? I am WORDY with stuff like this in an attempt to explain fully. It doesn't hurt that I also tend to overthink and overanalyze things. xD
    We've got eight so far.

1. Renee
    2. Lissa
    3. Emily
    4. Skelda
    5. Maj
    6. CM
    7. Shannen
    8. Alleen

Right?

Also hi Alleen!

Yes, I believe we have 8 for now. I also hope we can get a few more, 12 would be preferable, but I'm not sure we'll be able to get that or not. :p

It's possible, but we haven't had a game with 12 in a while. Not since the forum move, I think... what was CM's, eleven? So maybe a couple more people? We can hope.
    Mafia Stats:
    edited September 2014
    I just stumbled upon something odd reading through an old mafia game...

muffin

edit: yep. They plum out 🐸🐸🐸🐸.fin.

mu.ffin. And also apparently mu.f. Really, EA?
    Mafia Stats:
    Me ;)

I'm surprised to see you here, Alleen! :mrgreen: I guess you really enjoyed Haylo's mafia game? Haha. :P
    This version is a BIT more complicated (perhaps a lot more complicated), but hopefully you'll get the hang of it. :)

Yep I've enjoy it very much... Hehe it was fun.. But now you got me scared.. :/ Maybe I should have watch you play this game first and then enter next time... ;)
    Me ;)

Yep I've enjoy it very much... Hehe it was fun.. But now you got me scared.. :/ Maybe I should have watch you play this game first and then enter next time... ;)
    Don't be scared! You should definitely play this game! I always say the best way to learn is to jump in and play! :)
    Mafia Stats:
  • SkeldaSkelda Posts: 15,283 Member
    Alleen! I'm so excited to see you here. :)

I'm not sure how the claiming system will work, it seems townsided. But we'll see.
    Skelda wrote: »
    Alleen! I'm so excited to see you here. :)

I'm not sure how the claiming system will work, it seems townsided. But we'll see.

I was kind of thinking about that too. Since the detective gets immunity for two nights by claiming and cannot be smartly counterclaimed. But yeah, we'll have to see.
    Mafia Stats: