Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop mode has a huge effect

2...Next

Comments

• renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    edited September 2014
    I was having this issue as well. I am playing on a laptop and I have a medium-level graphics card, but when I turned off Laptop Mode was when I saw the light (literally)!
  • meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    Is it bad that I can't tell the difference in the pictures? I'm sure I'll be able to tell in the game though.
  • WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    edited September 2014
    @meggiewes The biggest change is the lack of shadows. Look at the clusters of palm trees to the left. Look at the missing shadow below the arch. Once you realize all shadowing is gone, you'll realize how much is different between the two photos.

It's not as noticeable unless you click on the photos to make them bigger though. The forum resized them to fit here.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• GenuineGemGenuineGem Posts: 135 Member
    Mashimar0 wrote: »
    EAfan99 wrote: »
    My laptop is 3 years old. I started noticing a bit of lag recently. Which is weird because when I first installed the game it was fine but now I get lag a little bit every now and then. That's why I'm saving up for Alienware 17. Found out I can get it for $100 cheaper.

isn't msi or asus rog better?

As the owner of an Asus RoG, why yes, yes it is ;)
  • Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    Demon baby glitch? I haven't tried getting my sims pregnant yet.. What is this glitch?

i dont think it's a glitch. all my families have had normal babies boy and girls. i'm starting to believe what someone said that this demon baby thing might be a graphics card issue
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    EAfan99 wrote: »
    My laptop is 3 years old. I started noticing a bit of lag recently. Which is weird because when I first installed the game it was fine but now I get lag a little bit every now and then. That's why I'm saving up for Alienware 17. Found out I can get it for $100 cheaper.

No no no. while it is your money and you can do with it what you like. i would say get an ASUS i have one the ASUS g74s laptop it is atleast 2000 cheaper than the alienware i was looking at, at the time of myself purchasing this laptop (2years ago) and it has the same hardware and everything. i don't regret it.

also my uncle bought an alienware pc tower. and it broke within two weeks of purchasing, something about the screws cracked off inside. and alienware wouldn't replace the tower. so now my uncle has a 4000 dollar dust collector
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • KjrockPlayerKjrockPlayer Posts: 305 Member
    i am surprised it run's well on ultra no swet on my notebook w8.1 ,I7 240ghz ,Nvidea GT 640m I do use a 4 terabite usb drive as well I am using it in lap-top mode though I have not noticed I might try without for a while oh and yes it's about a year old in November my notebook that is
  • teresag236teresag236 Posts: 106 Member
    Im saving up for an Alienware 17 aswell. How are you able to get it 100$ cheaper? By the time I add things into it its almost 2500$

> @EAfan99 said:
    > My laptop is 3 years old. I started noticing a bit of lag recently. Which is weird because when I first installed the game it was fine but now I get lag a little bit every now and then. That's why I'm saving up for Alienware 17. Found out I can get it for $100 cheaper.
  • ericbatchelderericbatchelder Posts: 734 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I'm going to have to do some tests tomorrow. I've been playing without using laptop mode on a laptop and I had my first baby tonight. It was a demon baby. :'( Tonight was a test to see if I would.

But I've not found a real problem with the lighting or anything else. Everything runs very well with no lags, blips, or glitches. And I'm running a saved game with about 7 or 8 households to rotate through.

I also had the dragon baby. I aged it up right away.

• AnimaagAnimaag Posts: 319 Member
    Dragon baby? :D
  • Rubycube86Rubycube86 Posts: 294 Member
    I use a laptop. I think the graphics are okay. Not the best, but I've gotten used to them.
  • WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    Rubycube86 wrote: »
    I use a laptop. I think the graphics are okay. Not the best, but I've gotten used to them.

Playing on a laptop doesn't mean anything. What matters is whether or not you have laptop mode turned on under the settings. I play on a laptop but I don't turn laptop mode on because my game is beautiful with it off.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• berng00berng00 Posts: 122 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm running with laptop mode off. On my system, it made everything darker and too smooth. (anti aliasing overpowered or dynamic lighting?)
  • nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2014
    Supposedly, the demon baby problem has been fixed. If you are still having it, make sure your game is specifically set to use your high end graphics card and not the Intel HD graphics. This has been a problem with the baby graphics. I have an Alienware also and had demon babies but, they resolved when I set my game graphics to my Nvidia card.
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • sarka597sarka597 Posts: 70 Member
    jirlucfan wrote: »
    jirlucfan wrote: »
    Laptop mode is horrible, sims look shadowy indoors, no matter how many lights he/she has over.

Is that why all of my Sims look like that? I thought the game just had bad lighting. Every lot I go to seems too dark.

Yeah, I had that problem when I acidentally turned on laptop mode. As soon as I turned it off, the sim looked better indoors.

Odd. Will my game still run okay if I turn it off? I am playing on a laptop so I thought turning it on might help with performance.

Turn it off and test it a bit, and if it run slower, I suggest to lower your settings before activating it again.

i turned it off too and the game is lagging too much or stutter or what ever u call it lo ..even if i put setting on low :( so i play with laptop mode on i kind got use to the sims looking darker indoors..with the mode it runs fast and very nice graphics on medium and high
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    SimGuruHydra already said they found the cause of the baby glitch and are working to fix it and get the patch sent out to us as soon as possible.

I love you avatar. How can I find it in the Gallery?
  • TheclumsysimmerTheclumsysimmer Posts: 6 New Member
    I have a laptop, and when i turn laptop mode off its SOOOO laggy! im sad cause i wanna install more real hair!
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I have a laptop, and when i turn laptop mode off its SOOOO laggy! im sad cause i wanna install more real hair!

Could you post your DxDiag?
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
    If it does not fit, split it up into multiple posts. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »

alienware 17 :o<3
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 78 Member
    edited November 2015
    My laptop is almost 8 years old! HP DV9500

I don't need to use laptop mode and I only have a GeForce 8400M GS!
    The main thing you need to do is have lighting turned down to the lowest setting. You still get lighting, just no shadows, and its shadows that make things run slow.

I play my game in 1440x900 and sim and object details turned high, and it runs perfectly.
    I <3 The Sims
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    My laptop is almost 8 years old! HP DV9500

I don't need to use laptop mode and I only have a GeForce 8400M GS!
    The main thing you need to do is have lighting turned down to the lowest setting. You still get lighting, just no shadows, and its shadows that make things run slow.

I play my game in 1440x900 and sim and object details turned high, and it runs perfectly.

Well, that is great to know. Thanks, @poshbakerloo :smile: ! I had no idea lighting had such a great effect.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    Animaag wrote: »
    I haven't tested laptop mode yet, but what I gathered from all the comments about it, it is only worth using if you can't play the game with normal graphics. I also use laptop but luckily I can play with Ultra mode without much lag. The graphics are still quite blurry though. But that's what you get with laptop GPU. Not much to do here (I have AMD Radeon HD 8750M, 4GB video RAM).

My ram is 4GB too, but my operating system is a 64 bit. I hope my comp picks the right thing to run.... I have automatic download for the sims, I too am using a laptop ( and probably a cheaper one at that). I don't use CC or Mods, but I do have all the packs. So far it seems to be handling it. I lag a bit sometimes and my loading screens are not short, but it is doing ok. I hope this new patch doesn't mess anything up. I have always had a bit of lighting issue, especially on the walls of some of my houses. But, I can live with that. I too don't have laptop mode enabled. I am looking forward to GT!
  • gurllivinlargegurllivinlarge Posts: 91 Member
    When I first got the sims, everything ran smoothly. It wasnt until updates started coming in, that I notice my game was beginning to lag. The music overlaps, and loading screens take over. SInce the update of toddlers (which I love) the game isn't running as smoothly.
    Relax, Play, have fun!