Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR's review is up.

Comments

• Options
    ROSE104ROSE104 Posts: 33 Member
    Still having fun with the sims 3. Might get sims 4 from santa if I'm a good girl. o:)
  • Options
    PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    edited September 2014
    Ultra wrote: »
    Haven't seen it myself, thought ye would be interested

I agree with everything LazyGamer said in his review. I think there are some nice things added in this time, like pregnancy tests, moving without losing relationships, visiting other Sims in different worlds, and new objects. However, he was spot on about it not worth buying for the asking price due to the lack of an important life stage, and all the other missing aspects many of us were expecting that are typically in a base game.

I will keep checking the forum to see how mods are coming along, what EA is going to officially do about toddlers and take another look when the price is cheap or on sale, possibly Black Friday. LGR made me feel a little bit better, being that he said the game is indeed fun. I don't want to invest in this game if EA tries to pull a fast one and decide not to add back toddlers. To me, talk is cheap, I want to see them added in before I can really decide what I want to do.

Edit: Thank you OP for sharing! :)
  • Options
    DrGorillaDrGorilla Posts: 253 Member
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Xesian wrote: »
    The reason's on his comments. He wasn't using compressed textures.

Aha - that would do it :)

Ah, but neither do I. There's something more to it than just that.
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    DrGorilla wrote: »
    Xesian wrote: »
    The reason's on his comments. He wasn't using compressed textures.

Aha - that would do it :)

Ah, but neither do I. There's something more to it than just that.

*shakes fist* Must you throw a fly in the ointment?!

I haven't investigated the uncompressed option - what's the perk for using it?
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    So not using compressed textures will make it impossible for legacy style players? I wonder how long, using compressed textures, a save game can be played before running into issues. 40 hours sounds impressive at first, but really that isn't long for a save. I've played certain save games for hundreds of hours (not in ts4 as I haven't got it yet) but I am not a legacy player.

What is the difference between running with compressed textures vs running without compressed textures?
  • Options
    Uncompressed textures basically means that all the textures used in the game are at their full size and quality. I noticed it first in asterravos' story thread when another simmer recommended uncompressing them for better shots/images. I followed suit and have been happily chugging along for the last... Ah, I'm now over 42 hours. Rather appalled at myself for that number.
  • Options
    Thank you, @DrGorilla. So uncompressed is better graphically but stuffs up the save over time causing stuff like long loads and lag. Running w/compressed textures keeps the game light and smoother running but at a cost graphically. Will the difference be more noticeable in the graphics depending on your system?
  • Options
    Ahh, it's what I thought then. Good to know - I may try it out and see how my load times are as I progress my save since I'm on an SSD. If I can replicate LGR's experiences than we might be on to something strange in how the game processes.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    Thank you, @DrGorilla. So uncompressed is better graphically but stuffs up the save over time causing stuff like long loads and lag. Running w/compressed textures keeps the game light and smoother running but at a cost graphically. Will the difference be more noticeable in the graphics depending on your system?

I won't pretend to know exactly how this will affect different systems because the PC master race is a very finicky benchmark; when something goes wrong or acts differently, there are too many theoretical possibilities for simple attribution to happen. That said, I have not found so great a difference between uncompressed and compressed, so feel free to run with it compressed (default). Also I do not believe the option should affect the save file itself, but it may affect how your computer processes the information as it runs.
  • Options
    Ahh, it's what I thought then. Good to know - I may try it out and see how my load times are as I progress my save since I'm on an SSD. If I can replicate LGR's experiences than we might be on to something strange in how the game processes.

Yeah. Now that I've crested the 40 hour mark, I shall pay closer attention to load times as well to get exact measurements.
  • Options
    It's likely with the larger file sizes as the save progresses and builds, more and more info to parse as you load which could be exacerbated if there's a hiccup in the code OR certain PC setups just don't play nice. It would be very strange though if it's an issue for SSDs vs non since that would negate their entire advantage in one swoop.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    DrGorilla wrote: »

I won't pretend to know exactly how this will affect different systems because the PC master race is a very finicky benchmark; when something goes wrong or acts differently, there are too many theoretical possibilities for simple attribution to happen. That said, I have not found so great a difference between uncompressed and compressed, so feel free to run with it compressed (default). Also I do not believe the option should affect the save file itself, but it may affect how your computer processes the information as it runs.

Thanks! :)

• Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    I have an HDD, I have everything on the highest settings, I have the box ticked for uncompressed textures. Currently I am at 15 hours into my save, and my load times are 3-9 seconds. I have never had a load screen take longer than 9 seconds. I time the load screens every time. Maybe the game truly does prefer HDD to SSD?
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    I have an HDD, I have everything on the highest settings, I have the box ticked for uncompressed textures. Currently I am at 15 hours into my save, and my load times are 3-9 seconds. I have never had a load screen take longer than 9 seconds. I time the load screens every time. Maybe the game truly does prefer HDD to SSD?

Well if it proves to be true I'm gonna flip a table or three! Guess I'll guinea pig my game to see cause now I'm 🐸🐸🐸🐸 curious.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Thanks for posting. I don't follow reviewers and have been fascinated by the way the forum community in general seem to revere him.

So he gave a basically positive review, from the standpoint of someone whose favorite game has been TS3. I'm glad he qualified it as a subjective opinion (though I question whether some viewers know what that means). If it had come from someone whose favorite game has been TS2 (like me), a lot of the same things would probably have been said, but the recommendation to buy might have been unqualified, as in "Buy now, it's great!" (That's what I would have said, if I were the reviewer).

Interesting, interesting. Thanks, OP.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    but the recommendation to buy might have been unqualified, as in "Buy now, it's great!" (That's what I would have said, if I were the reviewer).

Well it's not like he said it was an awful game and people shouldn't buy it. He acknowledge that it was a great game, like you say you would if you were reviewing, just that the price was a bit steep for what the game included. Seems like a fair enough comment to me, much better to advise people to wait until the price drops, than telling them to rush in and buying at full RRP, that way if they're disappointed then the loss isn't as great. :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    kovu0207 wrote: »
    MsPhy wrote: »
    but the recommendation to buy might have been unqualified, as in "Buy now, it's great!" (That's what I would have said, if I were the reviewer).

Well it's not like he said it was an awful game and people shouldn't buy it. He acknowledge that it was a great game, like you say you would if you were reviewing, just that the price was a bit steep for what the game included. Seems like a fair enough comment to me, much better to advise people to wait until the price drops, than telling them to rush in and buying at full RRP, that way if they're disappointed then the loss isn't as great. :)

Yes, as I said, he gave it a basically positive review but suggested, as a TS3 fan, to wait until the price drops. Had it been me, I would have given a similar review but as a TS2 fan, I would have said, "Don't wait, buy now!" I would not have advised people to wait.

See, this is the thing called subjectivity. One's opinion comes from one's experience, likes, and dislikes. I'm not saying he's wrong and I'm right. I'm saying that people need to keep the subjective nature of reviews in mind and not follow the reviewer's advice blindly if they are not approaching from the same direction as the reviewer (i.e., if TS3 is not their favorite game, then his advice to wait may not be appropriate for them).
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    .... he gave it a basically positive review ...

Lots of people in this thread calling that a positive review? Saying that while fun the game isn't worth the time, isn't worth the price, and doesn't live up to the hype is considered positive? :lol: Sorry, just though that was hilarious.
  • Options
    modernlifemodernlife Posts: 111 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    Lots of people in this thread calling that a positive review? Saying that while fun the game isn't worth the time, isn't worth the price, and doesn't live up to the hype is considered positive? :lol: Sorry, just though that was hilarious.

I didn't get that from the review. To me, it came across that he enjoyed the game but thought the current content available didn't match the price. Seemed like a mostly positive review.
  • Options
    Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    I agree with LGR that it will depend on your play style about loading screen. Sims 3 was not my play style at all.

Glad after waiting 5 years to get something for my play style. If just EA adds toddlers and family tree back in an EP I think I will get what I want from that game.

With Sims 3 it is impossible to play with multiple families like the The Sims 2, Story progression would take over and destroys all your progress. That was a bad design. Sims 3 is only suitable to play with one family!

You *can* turn Story Progression off, you know. ;) (though, honestly, I've never actually tried it...I kinda love SP.)

• Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    modernlife wrote: »

I didn't get that from the review. To me, it came across that he enjoyed the game but thought the current content available didn't match the price. Seemed like a mostly positive review.

Those are almost exact quotes from the video lol. Guess people just hear what they want to. /shrug
  • Options
    adamc123adamc123 Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2014
    He was nicer than I expected but he did say it was a "good game but seems more like a sequel to the sims 1 and that EA just want you to forget about the sims 3" which is true they took out most things that made the sims 2 and 3 good.
  • Options
    modernlifemodernlife Posts: 111 Member
    edited September 2014
    Those are almost exact quotes from the video lol. Guess people just hear what they want to. /shrug

I could say the same about forming an overall opinion of a 20 minute review based on a couple of quotes ;)

To be honest, I don't care what other people think of the game, both positive or negative. Heck, living in the UK, I haven't even been able to play myself yet to form my own opinion (and I've always generally been a little disappointed with Sims sequel's base games due to the lack of content compared to the last with expansions). But having watched a lot of LGR's reviews, you can quite easily tell when he doesn't like something and this one just seemed pretty positive to me.
  • Options
    Emilym3Emilym3 Posts: 539 Member
    The thing that alarms me is that he said that after 30 hours of play his game started slowing down, lag, glitches, longer loading screens... I thought that removing CAS and no open world was suppose to fix those issues. I can only imagine what a nightmare it will be when they add more content.

The entire reason I was even excited for sims 4 was because it was a new start, smooth game play...and now after seeing this review its like what the point? Might as well stick to sims 3, even with its laggy issues at least it gives me more freedom to create and visit my neighbor without a loading screen.

That pretty much decided it for me. I am not buying the Sims 4.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Emilym3 wrote: »
    The thing that alarms me is that he said that after 30 hours of play his game started slowing down, lag, glitches, longer loading screens... I thought that removing CAS and no open world was suppose to fix those issues. I can only imagine what a nightmare it will be when they add more content.

The entire reason I was even excited for sims 4 was because it was a new start, smooth game play...and now after seeing this review its like what the point? Might as well stick to sims 3, even with its laggy issues at least it gives me more freedom to create and visit my neighbor without a loading screen.

That pretty much decided it for me. I am not buying the Sims 4.

Yeah that I caught that too. That is a bit alarming.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.