Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you put custom music in the game?

It says VERY briefly how to do it on the web site but the folders in the game they tell you to put the mp3 files in don't show up for me. I see all the in game song files but they are just separate files not in any one folder like Jazz or the Blues, like it says I should look for.

Is it the same way you do it for the Sims 3? I was able to google that and that way seems to make since.

Comments

• DizziestSimsDizziestSims Posts: 788 Member
    edited September 2014
    "You can play your own MP3s through the radios in The Sims 4. Copy them into the The Sims 4\Custom Music folder that corresponds with your genre of choice and tune your in-game radio to that station to hear your music."
    SimsCommunity.net

I tried it and it worked!

The only thing is that the title of the song and name of the artist doesn't show up in Game Options/Music.
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims
  • BokimbolBokimbol Posts: 503 Member
    Thanx, I will look again but the problem I was having was I didn't see the various genres listed anywhere. Just the song tittles. Is there a limit to how many songs you can use?
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I put about 8 songs into POP and they play.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • BokimbolBokimbol Posts: 503 Member
    Thanx again both of you.
  • modernlifemodernlife Posts: 111 Member
    Does anyone know if copying in shortcuts to your music folder works like it used to in The Sims 2? And is it only MP3s that are supported?
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @modernlife, I didn't think of trying that. Will try it right now and report back.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    @Bokimbol, the various genres are subfolders in the Custom Music folder inside "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Custom Music.

Open the Custom music folder with windows explorer and there should be folders in there with the different genres.
  • DuncarinDuncarin Posts: 362 Member
    I dropped about 70 songs into alternative and they've been playing fine.
    Aright, I checked it out, shortcuts do not work. It also does not support .m4a files. Which is the only thing other than mp3 that I have to test it with.

Lastly...someone said artist and song title don't show up in the the options-music, but they do for me. Provided the information is correctly as part of the mp3 file, they should show up.
  • modernlifemodernlife Posts: 111 Member
    Ah that's a shame but thanks for taking a look :) Most of my music is stored as .flac anyways so I'll have to convert to mp3 to use in game, so not such a big deal about having duplicates in the music folder.
  • tballin92tballin92 Posts: 12 Member
    > @Stormkeep said:
    > Aright, I checked it out, shortcuts do not work. It also does not support .m4a files. Which is the only thing other than mp3 that I have to test it with.
    >
    > Lastly...someone said artist and song title don't show up in the the options-music, but they do for me. Provided the information is correctly as part of the mp3 file, they should show up.

is it abnormal that i only have electronica in my custommusic folder? i imagine that there should be other genres listed?
    @tballin92, You aren't the first person who indicated they were missing some (or all) of the subfolders.

I have the following, so it should be perfectly safe for you to add folders with these names:
    • Alternative
    • Blues
    • Classical
    • Electronica
    • Pop
    • Romance
    • Sim Retro

I guess it's possible I also do not have all of the folders that should be there too though.
  • tballin92tballin92 Posts: 12 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @tballin92, You aren't the first person who indicated they were missing some (or all) of the subfolders.

I have the following, so it should be perfectly safe for you to add folders with these names:
    • Alternative
    • Blues
    • Classical
    • Electronica
    • Pop
    • Romance
    • Sim Retro

I guess it's possible I also do not have all of the folders that should be there too though.

thanks!
  • NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    I have a problem, i have my musics in alternative folder, and i when to the game options and removed the game music in alternative i took out the green arrow in the game options/music, bacause i want to listen just my music not the game music, but everytime i log off the game and log in, the game musics they still there in the options with the green arrow. So every time that i go to the game i have to take out the game musics in options -.- i want to know if is there a way to remove permanently the game music or to make a folder just for my music, because i'm sick of having my music mix with the game music.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    NADYSOPHIE wrote: »
    I have a problem, i have my musics in alternative folder, and i when to the game options and removed the game music in alternative i took out the green arrow in the game options/music, bacause i want to listen just my music not the game music, but everytime i log off the game and log in, the game musics they still there in the options with the green arrow. So every time that i go to the game i have to take out the game musics in options -.- i want to know if is there a way to remove permanently the game music or to make a folder just for my music, because i'm sick of having my music mix with the game music.
    I personally first turn off the EA music save settings and exit then add my custom music and restart the game.
  • AnautoAnauto Posts: 1 New Member
    For those of whom are not aware, the music file thing works

but if you have mods on there it can screw it up and make it work when it wants to, which is not often.

Make sure to take them/it off before you're absolutely sure. Also, music that has the right file type(mp3) should be fine...and oddly enough for me, it usually has the music with album artwork and all of its usual information work properly.
  • LovetoSimLovetoSim Posts: 70 Member
    This may seem odd, but I turn my music in the game completely off and play Pandora on my web browser. It works well and I assume it would work if you just played your music from your files. I keep the other noise in the game going, so I can hear the sims talk.
  • naturalblue1423naturalblue1423 Posts: 1 New Member
    If you play the genre of music through the stereo in the game, the folders will pop up. I had only listened to a few, and the others were missing, so I got concerned. But that fixed it! Should help